Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drake [Take Care] + Upcoming Gig

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Gooner1886

I hate to burst your bubble lads, drake isn't hip hop, its mainstream pop. Agree to an extent with the above post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Totally agree about Drake bein' mainstream pop.So hugely overrated as is Lil' Wayne.

Big time, the same with the majority of garbage being classed as hip hop nowadays, does my brain in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Couple of days on and I think I've seen 2 girls mention Nicki on Facebook. 1 of the girls works in The Olympia and the other will be away on the date of the gig.

I know at least 30-40 people that were at Drake and not one of them has shown any interest in going to see Nicki. These include the "girlos" and the "huns" that are obsessed with Drake and follow his every move on Twitter and listen to every song he's on, and they have zero interest in his label mate. A lot of the girls went to see Katy Perry and Lady Gaga as well, so Nicki Minaj wouldn't be much of a stretch?

This is not the same as Glee or One Direction, the venue will not be packed with 6-14 year olds. She might sell out The Olympia? Not a chance she'd sell out The O2, anyone who thinks she could is delusional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Couple of days on and I think I've seen 2 girls mention Nicki on Facebook. 1 of the girls works in The Olympia and the other will be away on the date of the gig.

I know at least 30-40 people that were at Drake and not one of them has shown any interest in going to see Nicki. These include the "girlos" and the "huns" that are obsessed with Drake and follow his every move on Twitter and listen to every song he's on, and they have zero interest in his label mate. A lot of the girls went to see Katy Perry and Lady Gaga as well, so Nicki Minaj wouldn't be much of a stretch?

This is not the same as Glee or One Direction, the venue will not be packed with 6-14 year olds. She might sell out The Olympia? Not a chance she'd sell out The O2, anyone who thinks she could is delusional.

Lol at you still trying to push your opinion on us. Relaxxxxxx.

• Advertisement

dee. wrote: »
    Lol at you still trying to push your opinion on us. Relaxxxxxx.

Nicki not being able to sell out The O2 isn't opinion, it's fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Gooner1886 wrote: »
    Big time, the same with the majority of garbage being classed as hip hop nowadays, does my brain in.

Definitely on the same page.

I just wish it was like when Death Row Records ruled with Pac,Snoop,Nate,Tha Dogg Pound,Lady Of Rage.

Before people say it I know it's the past but that was a Golden Era for Hip Hop.

This bull**** that people say is hip hop is a joke!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

No I can't.

Every song is about money, women or his fame. How the hell did he get famous rapping about this crap?

Im on one is bearable. But again same topics.

Definitely on the same page.

I just wish it was like when Death Row Records ruled with Pac,Snoop,Nate,Tha Dogg Pound,Lady Of Rage.

Before people say it I know it's the past but that was a Golden Era for Hip Hop.

This bull**** that people say is hip hop is a joke!!

Personally i think Death Row and Bad Boy Records was the start of the end, thats when hip hop started goin too commercial, all about the money.

No I can't.

Every song is about money, women or his fame. How the hell did he get famous rapping about this crap?

You can't what?

This is a middle class kid that grew up in a nice neighborhood and did a bit of acting..what do you expect him to talk about besides women, fame and money?

Politics? Poverty? Drugs?

• Advertisement

You can't what?

This is a middle class kid that grew up in a nice neighborhood and did a but of acting..what do you expect him to talk about besides women, fame and money?

Oh he grew up with money? I didn't know that, makes sense he rhymes about that then but still does he have to be so one dimensional all the time in every song.

Sill I can't listen to it though. The beats are mostly average and the lyrics are rarely clever and often cliché or cringe worthy.

Yes I do actually expect him to rap about something other than the same 3 topics. It does not have to be drugs, politics or poverty though. How much material can you get from the same 3 topics over and over again I am already sick of it 10 songs in.

No need for a back and forth, if you like his music then thats that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

Nicki not being able to sell out The O2 isn't opinion, it's fact.

Er, I don't think so. Where's your solid proof of this fact? Other than your ~100% totally right about everything opinion~, of course.

Give me a break.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I have asked that this is kept civil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Oh he grew up with money? I didn't know that, makes sense he rhymes about that then but still does he have to be so one dimensional all the time in every song.

Sill I can't listen to it though. The beats are mostly average and the lyrics are rarely clever and often cliché or cringe worthy.

Yes I do actually expect him to rap about something other than the same 3 topics. It does not have to be drugs, politics or poverty though. How much material can you get from the same 3 topics over and over again I am already sick of it 10 songs in.

What songs did you listen to Conor btw?

TBH I don't think many old hip hop heads would find him appealing, due to his themes of love for his city, dealing with the changes brought on by fame, and women and relationships. Drake's lyrical content and flow are also both very different when compared to old school rappers.

I also think that hip hop fans who were raised in the golden era of Pac, Biggie, Nas etc. would look at Drake's music with whatever the opposite of rose-tinted glassed are. They are almost programmed to think that if something is commercially popular, then it must be panned and stereotyped as crap, without giving it a chance (not talking about you btw, just a general consensus I get from the hip-hop community). I suppose I am just a more open person than these, having only really discovered hip hop in the last few years.

Let's be honest, Drake is far and away from being the greatest rapper alive (two people on his album who'd rap rings around him would be Kendrick Lamar and André 3000). But he is most certainly a rapper, don't know why people here are disputing that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

You can't what?

This is a middle class kid that grew up in a nice neighborhood and did a but of acting..what do you expect him to talk about besides women, fame and money?

He's pop man , I use to ask myself when I was younger how many more songs can the likes of Westlife, Brittany etc make about love and all that rubbish and still be successful ! The answer seems to be forever, it's commercial rubbish it will always appeal to teenagers especially girls which I say are most of drakes fan base.

But I put drake in the very same catogery as the likes of brittany and Westlife as far as substance, just repetive pop talk.

The likes of drake and young money have put the final nail in commercial hip hops coffin. Now commercial hip hop is pop or techno with some sort of singing hook etc, no longer will we ever hear a banging hip hop song without some element from another genre on our radios.

Young money isn't hip hop, how can the self proclaimed greatest rapper alive Lil Wayne even say it is when half the time he prounces around with a guitar , niki is straight pop and like I said drake is as commercial as they come , so fake.

Whats happening now IMO, is most rappers are getting desperate and reaching out for these pop hooks or fts more than ever. When gangsta rap was still relevant commercially a few years ago in the mid 00s ,most rappers dissed the f*ck outa all those south lads dancing and clapping in their music videos, the same rappers who done that are jumping around on techno beats or reaching out for a drake or chris brown etc ft because they know it's the only way they'll get a hit, just look at dre with INAD, I know you like it but it still has a pop ft and hook!.

no longer will we ever hear a banging hip hop song without some element from another genre on our radios.

Young money isn't hip hop, how can the self proclaimed greatest rapper alive Lil Wayne even say it is when half the time he prounces around with a guitar , niki is straight pop and like I said drake is as commercial as they come , so fake.

Whats happening now IMO, is most rappers are getting desperate and reaching out for these pop hooks or fts more than ever. When gangsta rap was still relevant commercially a few years ago in the mid 00s ,most rappers dissed the f*ck outa all those south lads dancing and clapping in their music videos, the same rappers who done that are jumping around on techno beats or reaching out for a drake or chris brown etc ft because they know it's the only way they'll get a hit, just look at dre with INAD, I know you like it but it still has a pop ft and hook!.

Hip-hop has always been about the mix of other genres, it arose out of a mix of other genres.

Techno, pop, rock whatever influences do not bother me as they have been there since the beginning.

INAD is a hip-hop song whether you like it or not.

I don't even mind songs about money, fame or women but when it is only about them it is very bland especially with Drake when most of the time the beats is crap and there is not even a good story or clever punchlines or something to go with it.
    Mr. Rager wrote: »
    What songs did you listen to Conor btw?
    TBH I don't think many old hip hop heads would find him appealing, due to his themes of love for his city, dealing with the changes brought on by fame, and women and relationships. Drake's lyrical content and flow are also both very different when compared to old school rappers.

I also think that hip hop fans who were raised in the golden era of Pac, Biggie, Nas etc. would look at Drake's music with whatever the opposite of rose-tinted glassed are. They are almost programmed to think that if something is commercially popular, then it must be panned and stereotyped as crap, without giving it a chance (not talking about you btw, just a general consensus I get from the hip-hop community). I suppose I am just a more open person than these, having only really discovered hip hop in the last few years.

Let's be honest, Drake is far and away from being the greatest rapper alive (two people on his album who'd rap rings around him would be Kendrick Lamar and André 3000). But he is most certainly a rapper, don't know why people here are disputing that :)

PBs list of 8 songs and a collection of other random ones on youtube.

It is nothing to do with new or old school. There are new rappers I like and old ones I do not.

I was 6 when 2pac died and not even 7 when Biggie died so I was not raised in the 90's so called golden era either. Drake just has neither the beats, rhymes, flow or story telling that appeals to me.

He is a rapper, he raps. He is just not very good at it.

Conor I could of swore I heard you saying drake is not a rapper here on boards before?

Just because run dmc done a song with Aerosmith doesn't mean its always being present, samples and stuff taken from soul or disco music etc doesn't really count as pop or techno influences which is the case today, hip hop use to be unique as a genre now for the better part it's not , especially the commercial stuff.

Now a days it barely sounds like hip hop, everything sounds the same to me bar the underground stuff.

And INAD is pop in my eyes, it's defeintly not gangsta rap which dre was one of the originators of. It's a sellout song by dre pure muck but we have been down that road before.

Conor I could of swore I heard you saying drake is not a rapper here on boards before?

Just because run dmc done a song with Aerosmith doesn't mean its always being present, samples and stuff taken from soul or disco music etc doesn't really count as pop or techno influences which is the case today, hip hop use to be unique as a genre now for the better part it's not , especially the commercial stuff.

Now a days it barely sounds like hip hop, everything sounds the same to me bar the underground stuff.

And INAD is pop in my eyes, it's defeintly not gangsta rap which dre was one of the originators of. It's a sellout song by dre pure muck but we have been down that road before.

Not an MC, a rapper is someone who raps no matter how bad he is.

You can not say Hip-hop has not always had influences from Rock, Reggae, funk, Dance/electro and other genres because it blatantly has and for good reasons it grew up out of these genres.

Just because it is not gangsta rap does not mean it is pop, was express yourself gangsta rap?

Just because it is not gangsta rap does not mean it is pop, was express yourself gangsta rap?

never said that, express yourself was a epic song but it had a hip hop feel to it. INAD doesnt, most of todays commercial hip hop doesnt. its nearly impossible to actually distinguish commercial hip hop and pop music.

i know hip hop has had influences from other genre's, i never said it didnt but theres a point where influence reaches saturation and you cant actually distinguish different genre's because thats whats happening.

commercial hip hop is evolving into pop music, the only rappers we are going to hear on our radios, tv's are the one's with drake, chris brown, rhianna etc ft'd on them. just take a look at the current top 10 on the itunes hip hop section, says it all.

1. niki minaj - starships = not hip hop
    2. flo rida - wild ones = not hip hop
    3. azeila banks - 212 = not hip hop
    4. jay z and kanye - niggas in paris -:eek::eek: hip hop
    5. lil wayne ft bruno mars - mirror - not hip hop , sorry
    6. niki minaj - superbass - not hip hop
    7. rizzle kicks - mama do the hump - uk stuff , they have there own sound
    8. niki minaj - va va voom - not hip hop
    9. niki minaj - starships - not hip hop
    10. niki minaj - pound the alarm - not hip hop

lol this is commercial hip hop! by the way who said niki isnt as popular as drake? she's dominating the charts.

on dre, he's a gangsta rapper ye there's room for straying away from the actual gangsta rap genre especially with classics like express yourself which had a real motivational message behind it perfectly suited to that era but more importantly it was kept hip hop.

you cant honestly tell me INAD sounds like a hip hop song? its pop prod by a producer known for pop music in alex da kid and skyler grey a pop artist on the hook ! a load of d*cky your brainwashed into thinking thats hip hop, it was made for the pop market.

INAD and express yourself (arbitrary song) are both Hip-hop imo.

You listen to the radio, there is your problem tbh.

Dre is a rapper, and hip-hop producer who rose to fame in a mainly gangsta rap group but he is a Hip-Hop artist he does not have to be pigeon-holed into one sub-genre imo nor should anyone else.

Made for the pop market? Slim Shady was marketed for the pop market. Hip-hop has been mainstream for years before Eminem even. (again arbitrary well known rapper, used to make a point)
    That said the pop hip-hop/rap is getting crapper lyrics wise, I agree.

INAD is still a hip-hop song, it features 2 rappers rapping about hip-hop (their careers in it among other things).

What is in the charts does not really define what hip-hop is, by its nature of it being in the charts it becomes pop music. What the chart defines is popular ("pop") music, those songs are the most pop rap/hip-hop songs out atm.

(btw Rizzle Kicks is hip-hop, being from the UK means nothing it is not Grime)

___

The problem is not that Hip-hop is too commercial but the decline in lyrics in mainstream hip-hop imo.

• Advertisement

You listen to the radio, there is your problem tbh.
    i dont actually man lol, ipod connected to the cd player in the car nothing but hip hop most of the time.
    Dre is a rapper, and hip-hop producer who rose to fame in a mainly gangsta rap group but he is a Hip-Hop artist he does not have to be pigeon-holed into one sub-genre imo nor should anyone else.
    no one is saying that, i dont mind if he makes hip hop music as thats what i obviously expect from him, bubblegum rap/pop is something i dont though.
    Made for the pop market? Slim Shady was marketed for the pop market. Hip-hop has been mainstream for years before Eminem even. (again arbitrary well known rapper, used to make a point)
    That said the pop hip-hop/rap is getting crapper lyrics wise, I agree.
    it didnt have a pop ft singing a stupid pathetic hook. it was as humorous song as are lot of eminems singles at least it didnt have skyler grey on it singing.

obviously hip hop has been mainstream for years, im not saying that either. my point is todays commercial hip hop is for the most part pop music, its nearly impossible to distinguish the difference.
    INAD is still a hip-hop song, it features 2 rappers rapping about hip-hop (their careers in it among other things).

like i said to you the last time we discussed this an ill flow with no beat is incomplete, the beat and hook is pop, its pop music your not going to change my opinion on whats hip hop and what isnt.

ok so, pitbull is deemed a rapper, take internatinal love one of his singles, would you deem this song hip hop?
    What is in the charts does not really define what hip-hop is, by its nature of it being in the charts it becomes pop music. What the chart defines is popular ("pop") music, those songs are the most pop rap/hip-hop songs out atm.

so now we have to go underground to experience hip hop? you know just aswell as i do that the likes of dmx ,kanye etc dominated the charts for years with real hip hop music... jesus walks is not pop music no matter how popular it becomes ... if what your saying is true just then all the classic hip hop material released over the years is to be deemed pop ! thats not true man and you know it.
    (btw Rizzle Kicks is hip-hop, being from the UK means nothing it is not Grime)
    i dont listen to them, haven't a clue. :)

pitbull song

Sounds like an overreaction but that's honestly among the worst songs I have ever heard. The VEVO video has 90 million Youtube hits ffs.

tumblr_m0p8tjWYpj1ql8wa5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Not trying to sound mean but pitbull should have been strangled at birth. Truly awful awful "musician".

ok so, pitbull is deemed a rapper, take internatinal love one of his singles, would you deem this song hip hop?

so now we have to go underground to experience hip hop? you know just aswell as i do that the likes of dmx ,kanye etc dominated the charts for years with real hip hop music... jesus walks is not pop music no matter how popular it becomes ... if what your saying is true just then all the classic hip hop material released over the years is to be deemed pop ! thats not true man and you know it.

i dont listen to them, haven't a clue. :)

If pitbull is considered a rapper he is a rapper, I don't know his music but from what I have heard few even him would call it hip-hop though.

No, you don't have to go underground to experience hip-hop. But I agree mainstream rap/HH has taken a dive more and more lyrics wise over the years.

You seem to have a problem with the way the beats have gone, there have been soft beats for years in hip-hop using samples and not using samples this is nothing new. I see the problem as a decline in lyrics that marks the crap that is modern pop/chart rap/hip-hop not the beats.

I know there is a difference in "pop" and the other pop. You mean pop as in bubblegum or soft etc.
    Well that is your opinion I would not call INAD soft or pop in that sense.

I don't listen to them either but Rizzle used to battle in Don't flop so is certainly a rapper.

we might aswell leave it of so conor man.:)

yes pitbull is a rapper though, pretty sure he was signed to lil jon in that crunk era a few years ago. some of pitbulls older stuff isnt bad , he's always had that techno vibe to him. he's a latin artist but as far as i know he was one of the first mainstream rappers to really use techno in his hip hop, you could say he was ahead of his time.

his older stuff was more hip hop, but he's just transformed into a techno/pop star now, his roots are latin hip hop though.

newer stuff, just pure dance music now.

Does Lil John actually rap? Never heard one of his own songs. I thought his only purpose in life was to randomly scream "YEAAAAAAAAAHH!" every so often in a few crappy Pitbull, LMFAO etc songs.

Mr. Rager wrote: »
    Does Lil John actually rap? Never heard one of his own songs. I thought his only purpose in life was to randomly scream "YEAAAAAAAAAHH!" every so often in a few crappy Pitbull, LMFAO etc songs.

not sure man, i use to hate him with a passion lol.

Not much of a stretch there, in his earlier stuff he rapped a bit more but not a lot by the looks of it.

Not much of a stretch there, in his earlier stuff he rapped a bit more but not a lot by the looks of it.

I know but he was ahead of the crowd as far being techno influenced on a commercial front.

Does most of Latin hip hop sound similar to pitbulls earlier stuff? Anyone know of much Latin hip hop , I think it's pretty high tempo similar to pitbulls stuff tbh from what I heard.

Daddy Yankee with gasolina springs to mind , I know the Latin hip hop market is pretty big though too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I know but he was ahead of the crowd as far being techno influenced on a commercial front.

Does most of Latin hip hop sound similar to pitbulls earlier stuff? Anyone know of much Latin hip hop , I think it's pretty high tempo similar to pitbulls stuff tbh from what I heard.

Daddy Yankee with gasolina springs to mind , I know the Latin hip hop market is pretty big though too.

Pun, Fat Joe, terror squad, beatnuts, cypress hill, immortal technique, are all latin hip hop acts that sound nothing like Pitbull.

Advertisement