Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭gent9662

We have free fruit in work one individual I know is first up to the kitchen when the fruit arrives and takes 2 apples, 3 bananas, 2 oranges and grapes EACH DAY! He doesn't go out for lunch with any of us.

Also same guy does not put any money into the birthday or leaving cards. I think on one occasion he put 50 cent in change into one card which included coppers because he liked the girl that was leaving.

Same guy makes sure he out of the taxi first on the way home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

dclane wrote: »
    We have free fruit in work one individual I know is first up to the kitchen when the fruit arrives and takes 2 apples, 3 bananas, 2 oranges and grapes EACH DAY! He doesn't go out for lunch with any of us.

I wouldnt be able to stop myself saying 'oi, that's to be shared with everyone (you stingy bastard)'.

That's one tight git alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

Hi im totally new to these forums but when i seen this forum i knew i had to post the stingiest story ever...!

A friend of mine, we'll call her Kate, lives in the US and has two houses, her home and a lake house. It's about a 3 hour drive from her home. Kate decided to do a girls weekend and asked her 3 best friends along, 1 of whom is notoriously tight...we'll call her Mary.

It was a totally free weekend for the girls, free accommodation and Kate had the house full of food and drink, tank full of petrol for the boat etc. Because Mary was such a tight ass Kate asked her for $20 petrol money as she was driving everyone there and back (she didn't ask anyone else for money, she just did it for the laugh).

Mary rings up Kate a couple of days later and asks her what year her car was and what the engine size was. Kate is busy at work so she just tells her and doesn't question it. 10 minutes later Mary rings her back and says

"I went online, typed in the make, model, year and engine size of your car...then I worked out the distance in miles from your house to the lake house...then I entered in the cost of gas here and it actually works out at $15.75 not $20"

I kid you not...the best bit, while on the trip when she asked Mary for the money she said "oh I've only got $10 on me, I'll give you the rest later"...2 yrs on...she's still waiting for her $5.75...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,043 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

people like that should be laughed at repeatedly by everyone and anyone.
    shamed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Rich politician and minister, forcing the last shilling out of ordinary people to pay for non exixtant services, then announcing he wont pay the service charges on his portugese penthouse hideaway!
    Some people Huh!:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭batistuta9

lividduck wrote: »
    Rich politician and minister, forcing the last shilling out of ordinary people to pay for non exixtant services, then announcing he wont pay the service charges on his portugese penthouse hideaway!
    Some people Huh!:cool:

good one

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

pmcmahon wrote: »
    soaking it up off the carpet?

those were the days. I remember it well... twas cheap home brew too

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

Lima Golf wrote: »
    Hi im totally new to these forums but when i seen this forum i knew i had to post the stingiest story ever...!

A friend of mine, we'll call her Kate, lives in the US and has two houses, her home and a lake house. It's about a 3 hour drive from her home. Kate decided to do a girls weekend and asked her 3 best friends along, 1 of whom is notoriously tight...we'll call her Mary.

It was a totally free weekend for the girls, free accommodation and Kate had the house full of food and drink, tank full of petrol for the boat etc. Because Mary was such a tight ass Kate asked her for $20 petrol money as she was driving everyone there and back (she didn't ask anyone else for money, she just did it for the laugh).

Mary rings up Kate a couple of days later and asks her what year her car was and what the engine size was. Kate is busy at work so she just tells her and doesn't question it. 10 minutes later Mary rings her back and says

"I went online, typed in the make, model, year and engine size of your car...then I worked out the distance in miles from your house to the lake house...then I entered in the cost of gas here and it actually works out at $15.75 not $20"

I kid you not...the best bit, while on the trip when she asked Mary for the money she said "oh I've only got $10 on me, I'll give you the rest later"...2 yrs on...she's still waiting for her $5.75...

that doesn't sound fair, the $15.75 should be split 4 ways, Mary has already given $10 so she should get change of $6.06 adjusted upwards for inflation, so get the $10 back and call it quits

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

mayotom wrote: »
    that doesn't sound fair, the $15.75 should be split 4 ways, Mary has already given $10 so she should get change of $6.06 adjusted upwards for inflation, so get the $10 back and call it quits

You must be new here...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

mayotom wrote: »

You can't fill an engine full of petrol for $20, it's obviously per person.

The level of intelligence sometimes is mind-boggling, even for AH :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Over at a friend's for a few drinks a couple of weeks back. A few people went down to the offlicence before it closed to get some stuff for shots. One friend came back with a massive bottle of vodka, can't remember if it was a litre or something smaller. There were only about 8 of us there and not everyone even wanted to do shots so we asked why she'd gotten such a giant bottle. "It was the cheapest thing they had", apparently, which made very little sense, presumably she meant it was better value per ml of vodka than a naggin or something like that. She then spent ages complaining about how it had cost her 16 quid and how she doesn't even like vodka. Meanwhile we're all thinking nobody asked her to buy it, she could have easily bought a naggin, etc. So anyway, people do a couple of shots, still plenty of vodka left in the bottle. Cue more moaning about how she spent so much when she doesn't even drink it. So I jokingly go "Well I'll take it off your hands if you don't want it" and her face brightens up and she says "Okay! But only if you pay me for it," and then starts offering that people can have more shots/whatever if they all give her €2.

Nobody took her up on that, surprisingly :rolleyes: And as is often the case with these stories, she's probably the most well off one out of the lot of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

My boss asked me for half my f***ing snack bar this morning. 'Oh I don't want to buy a full one'. Well I didn't want a f***ing half one.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭cactuspaw

girl i know got food in a local coffee shop and found mold on her sandwich, when she brought it up to complain the guy said "oh sorry, i'll cut that off, it'l cost a euro". how manky was that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,043 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

leaveiton wrote: »
    Over at a friend's for a few drinks a couple of weeks back. A few people went down to the offlicence before it closed to get some stuff for shots. One friend came back with a massive bottle of vodka, can't remember if it was a litre or something smaller. There were only about 8 of us there and not everyone even wanted to do shots so we asked why she'd gotten such a giant bottle. "It was the cheapest thing they had", apparently, which made very little sense, presumably she meant it was better value per ml of vodka than a naggin or something like that. She then spent ages complaining about how it had cost her 16 quid and how she doesn't even like vodka. Meanwhile we're all thinking nobody asked her to buy it, she could have easily bought a naggin, etc. So anyway, people do a couple of shots, still plenty of vodka left in the bottle. Cue more moaning about how she spent so much when she doesn't even drink it. So I jokingly go "Well I'll take it off your hands if you don't want it" and her face brightens up and she says "Okay! But only if you pay me for it," and then starts offering that people can have more shots/whatever if they all give her €2.

Nobody took her up on that, surprisingly :rolleyes: And as is often the case with these stories, she's probably the most well off one out of the lot of us.

If she was a true stinge she wouldnt have even gone to buy the cheapest stuff, instead waiting til someone else bought it, then scoffed it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Had dinner in a lovely Italian restaurant a few days ago. Place had an Italian name, has Italian signage, the menu is all antipasti, pasta, pizza etc. It was very, very obvious that it was an Italian restaurant. No one could walk in and sit down without seeing that.

The couple beside us wanted real Irish bacon added to their pizza. Not the parma ham or pancetta type bacon that is used more often in Italian cooking. The waitress explained that they only carried that kind as they specialized in...wait for it...Italian food. What a shocker ! :rolleyes:

The couple dug their feet in. They wanted Irish style bacon as by their logic, they were in Ireland & Irish restaurants should cater to what Irish people eat. Waitress diplomatically averted a row by saying that they would love to do that, but their kitchens and fridges were so small, they could only store a finite number of stuff, hence no bacon.

Fair enough they say. They order their meal, and seem happy enough with it. I had the same waitress. She was really lovely, so they could have had no cause for complaint with her. Overheard their conversation when paying the bill. They decided not to tip the waitress because of the no bacon situ.

I mean how stupid to you have to be to go into an Italian restaurant and expect to be able to get Dennys rashers and sossies? And then how stingy do you have to be to not to tip the waitress for something that is 100% out of her control? Mean people suck !:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

stetyrrell wrote: »
    You can't fill an engine full of petrol for $20, it's obviously per person.

The level of intelligence sometimes is mind-boggling, even for AH :rolleyes:

In 2008 petrol was US$1.61/USG - US$20 would have bought 47 litres which will get you a fair distance in any vehicle.

In any case, I'm sure the stinge was dividing by 4 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Lima Golf wrote: »

"I went online, typed in the make, model, year and engine size of your car...then I worked out the distance in miles from your house to the lake house...then I entered in the cost of gas here and it actually works out at $15.75 not $20"......................................

At this point I would have told her to stay the fcuk at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭listenup

my dad was at his sisters funeral years ago when we were all kids and the funeral was in England his brother in law OWNED the local sweet shop in the village and asked my dad to come down to the shop and told him to pick out some sweets to bring back to us .my dad had a sweet tooth himself and proceeded to pick out some really good sweets when he was finished shopping the brother in law took the bag off him weighed it and charged him for the sweets

• Registered Users Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭Dartz

And so, in response to 'Why would you waste your money on that?'....

I deliberately blocked the householdcharge.ie website. Helps that I'm the only person in the house who knows what a hosts file or DNS is. And so when they try and pay.... it redirects to nothing.

And when they wonder what's wrong?

"Ah sure, why would you waste your money on that?"

They'll probably be pretty pissed if they figure it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Dartz wrote: »
    And so, in response to 'Why would you waste your money on that?'....

I deliberately blocked the householdcharge.ie website. Helps that I'm the only person in the house who knows what a hosts file or DNS is. And so when they try and pay.... it redirects to nothing.

And when they wonder what's wrong?

"Ah sure, why would you waste your money on that?"

They'll probably be pretty pissed if they figure it out.

Ehh You sure you want to share that with us??

Ehh You sure you want to share that with us??

I'm a petty and horrible person.

And one of them just paid it in work anyway.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Dartz wrote: »
    I'm a petty and horrible person.

And one of them just paid it in work anyway.....
    Sorry I misunderstood what you were saying. I thought you claimed to have jammed the site DOS style...
    Much more serious matter.

Sorry I misunderstood what you were saying. I thought you claimed to have jammed the site DOS style...
    Much more serious matter.

Nah,

Just cocked with a few local settings so nobody could access it from here. A minor inconvenience really.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭superblu

I used to work with this really scabby owld b0llox. We convinced him 1 of the days to join us for lunch at an all you can eat Thai buffet place instead of eating in the subsidised canteen which in itself was a minor miracle. What unflolded was like something from that programme "man vs food". The guy just kept eating and eating making sure he got his tenners worth. These plates of chicken satay, beef and black bean sauce, prawn crackers and whatever other slop they had in their troughs just kept disappearing. God help his poor wife. He must have been dropping the most horrendous farts for a long time afterwards. He practically had to crawl back to the office on his hands and knees and proceeded to fall asleep at his desk for the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Katgurl

superblu wrote: »
    I used to work with this really scabby owld b0llox. We convinced him 1 of the days to join us for lunch at an all you can eat Thai buffet place instead of eating in the subsidised canteen which in itself was a minor miracle. What unflolded was like something from that programme "man vs food". The guy just kept eating and eating making sure he got his tenners worth. These plates of chicken satay, beef and black bean sauce, prawn crackers and whatever other slop they had in their troughs just kept disappearing. God help his poor wife. He must have been dropping the most horrendous farts for a long time afterwards. He practically had to crawl back to the office on his hands and knees and proceeded to fall asleep at his desk for the afternoon.

that is actually disgusting.

However it reminds me of the notorious tightarse within my group of friends - the usual stuff, disappears for her round every time, no change for a taxi, no credit on phone etc.

During the good times when we were all routinely eating out and taxiing everywhere (what fools we were) she had merrily appointed us her involuntary sponsors so would always skip along with us informing us cheerfully before entering the restaurant that she wouldn't be ordering any food just having tastes off our plates. Yes we were fools for consistently allowing it given she had way better social life and hols than rest of us but it always seemed petty to protest over a few quid when in reality it was 10+ years of constant pillaging. So she would pull up a pew get an extra fork and we'd inevitably end up ordering extra 'sides' to go around. This was particularly annoying in tapas restaurants when everyone was having 'tastes' but she was only one not paying. Anyway one evening we had gone to a poxy all-you-can-eat place and when waitress came round to check about rice / noodle options proceeded to tell our scabby mate she would not be having 'tastes' while we all frequented the buffet repeatedly. Needless to say this was met with utter outrage "how much out of pocket is it actually going to cost them?" so instead of having this drivel monopolise the conversation all night, myself and one of the other girls immediately started arguing about who would pay for her instead and waving away her protests. Like the pair of utter saps that we clearly were.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Katgurl wrote: »
    instead of having this drivel monopolise the conversation all night, myself and one of the other girls immediately started arguing about who would pay for her instead and waving away her protests. Like the pair of utter saps that we clearly were.

I'm disappointed in you :(

Cuireann tú díomá orm.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ourlad

knowit12 wrote: »
    A lot of Friends have recently turned 21 .. which mean a lot of 21st parties etc....

We all trow money in a card for the persons birthday it is.. usually about €10 or €20 depending on how close we are to the person...

One friend of mine (who is in full time employment) NEVER contributes any money but always manages to get her name on the card...

one time she said "pass it her so I can sign" so I built up the courage and said "but you haven't put any money in it, so would should you get to sign it?" she replied " ahh I'm really broke this week, will you trow in a €20 for me and I'll pay you back next week"

Knowing right well she would never pay me back , I just gave her a look.....

If this was me I would be extremely embarrassed especially as most of the people who where turning 21 we're close childhood friends, knowing them for so long the least you could trow is a €10 to a card.

People who are that stingy really have no concisions

That reminds me of a friend of mine opening his cards after his 21st. Someone gave him an empty card which wasn't signed it was just blank. I'd say it broke the persons heart that they had to give away a card that could be used again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

...... there is no point in being the richest man in the graveyard.

That quote is brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Is it stingy to ask your friend to hang onto your forgotten, half full 70cl bottle of captain morgan's that you accidentally left at their gaff after a party?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement