Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

So why did Alastair think the poll tax wasnt fair and why wouldnt he pay it himself??

What were his reasons for not paying the poll tax??

Please do tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Roverek

TURRICAN wrote: »
    No they shouldn't. Who's side are you on?
    The hard working people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Alastair's reply to post 7708 in part 1

Originally Posted by porsche boy
    Well, you missed that point didn't you.
    If the national movement that's in action dont manage to completely overturn this then you will only have to pay that bit extra if you decide to pay at all. Remember a national movement similar to this overturned the water rates in the mid ninties and a movement like this managed to back Maggie Tatcher into withdrawal of Poll Tax in the UK.
    I'm missing no point. Those who delay payment will only end up paying an extra 50% into the coffers. Nice windfall for the govt. Property taxes are happening - don't delude yourself otherwise.

And as the poll tax. I was there and refused to pay. To paraphrase Lloyd Bentsen - This is no poll tax.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

What about all €80 a month next year? or whatever amount they choose.
    Will you be so dismissive then?
    Jesus not you too !!! Do you think it will be 8 euro a month in a year or two ?

Probably not. I would think it will consist of a consumption based water charge (which I am in favour of) and a value based property tax (which may or may not be challenged but will still be much fairer than a flat tax)
    You can pay it monthly now? News to me.. if people had of been made aware of that earlier then more households would have registered.

You can pay quarterly. €25 every 3 months, which works out at just over €8 per month. i don't know if you were being pedantic, sarcastic or genuine but I hope I've answered your question.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

MagicSean wrote: »
    ...You can pay quarterly. €25 every 3 months, which works out at just over €8 per month. i don't know if you were being pedantic, sarcastic or genuine but I hope I've answered your question.
    Speaking for myself, I've heard it stated on the record that there was no previously to pay it in instalments.

• Advertisement

:rolleyes: NO, because, just like Phil, the law applys to you and me, but is different for them

Alastair's reply to post 7708 in part 1

Originally Posted by porsche boy
    Well, you missed that point didn't you.
    If the national movement that's in action dont manage to completely overturn this then you will only have to pay that bit extra if you decide to pay at all. Remember a national movement similar to this overturned the water rates in the mid ninties and a movement like this managed to back Maggie Tatcher into withdrawal of Poll Tax in the UK.
    I'm missing no point. Those who delay payment will only end up paying an extra 50% into the coffers. Nice windfall for the govt. Property taxes are happening - don't delude yourself otherwise.

And as the poll tax. I was there and refused to pay. To paraphrase Lloyd Bentsen - This is no poll tax.

Does that mean Alastair himself is a blatant tax cheat??:D:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

You can pay quarterly. €25 every 3 months, which works out at just over €8 per month. i don't know if you were being pedantic, sarcastic or genuine but I hope I've answered your question.

True, i got the leaflet to say that, on march 5th or so, telling me i had until feb 29th to avail of it:)

paddy147 wrote: »
    Does that mean Alastair himself is a tax cheat??:D:rolleyes:

Of course not, it was unfair.

Where has Alastair gone too??

He has suddenly gone awfully quiet.:D

• Advertisement

Biggins wrote: »
    Speaking for myself, I've heard it stated on the record that there was no previously to pay it in instalments.

I know of someone who is paying it €25 per quarter, he is in the PS, maybe they get special dispensation to pay different to the joe soap tax payer,

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Of course not, it was unfair.

But why did Alastair think that paying the poll tax was unfair??...;):D

Unfair on what basis then,that he did not pay the UK Poll Tax???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I know of someone who is paying it €25 per quarter, he is in the PS, maybe they get special dispensation to pay different to the joe soap tax payer,

Another myth I take it. Don't go starting that rumour please.

But why did Alastair think it was unfair??...;):D

Because alastair had to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I was definitely being sarcastic. The deadline for sign-ups to pay the charge quarterly passed on March 1st, so it's no longer an option.

People keep saying 'ah sure it's only €8 per month, or 27c per day'. It isn't though, it's €100 straight-up.

Another gem in that article about Phil not paying his own dues..
    Mr Hogan refused to go into further detail as to the precise nature of his dispute, stating that he was "entitled to a certain amount of privacy".

Says he who is planning on changing Data Protection laws so that his department can chase those who haven't paid the charge.

But why was it unfair????...;):D

Well he said that tax was unfair, but this property one is not. He has decided. No one else can now say this tax, is unfair. Dont forget the 300k lien on the 200k house though, and how that is a fair tax target, because of the owners 200k wealth.

Biggins wrote: »

I'm paying in installments.
    True, i got the leaflet to say that, on march 5th or so, telling me i had until feb 29th to avail of it:)

It's not like the charge snuck up on you. It wasn't too hard to look at the methods of payment without having to wait for a leaflet.

hondasam wrote: »
    Because alastair had to pay.

Is it just me,or dont you think its been a fair while now Alastairs last post here??

Now I wonder why??:rolleyes:

It's not like the charge snuck up on you. It wasn't too hard to look at the methods of payment without having to wait for a leaflet.

Never said it did. Just wondering what the point of sending a leaflet to tell me i can avail of installments last week would be.

Maybe you can answer that?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Actually no. Just give them the same working hours, wages, conditions and holidays as the rest of us and I'd be quite happy.

Just because some of public servants get ridiculous allowances does not mean we all do. How much do you think the lowest (not the average now) public servant get paid. As in all sectors some get paid high and some get paid low. Unfortunatly in the public sector the higher paid get paid way more then they should and it can scews the stats

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Is it social justice that homeowners pay for local services and home renters don't?
    I expect that landlords will incorporate this tax into rental charges, so renters, by and large, won't get off scot free.

Fariness is a subjective measure and all taxes are unfair in someones eyes. Is it fair that income tax is based on income and not means? I pay the same rate as someone with no mortgage or kids to rear. Is that fair? Maybe it is, maybe it isn't - it depends on who you ask.

Never said it did. Just wondering what the point of sending a leaflet to tell me i can avail of installments last week would be.

Maybe you can answer that?

That's likely due to incompetence.

Is it just me,or dont you think its been a fair while now Alastairs last post here??

Now I wonder why??:rolleyes:

Usually when he cannot answer a question he hides for awhile, I think my last one was about land registry.
    Then again he could be cooking the dinner or having a bath or I dunno maybe on the way home from work.

Alastair has left the forum....:rolleyes:

Is it something I asked or said???:D

hondasam wrote: »
    Usually when he cannot answer a question he hides for awhile, .

Then again he could be cooking.......................

...........................cooking up another bullsh!t post and excuse to get out of this one,over non payment of the poll tax,but then all his" Mr Do Gooder" posts here over the household charge.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,519 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The whole thing is now a shambles. They don't know how many homeowners there are in the country or how many homes for that matter. Confusion reigns.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0401/over-800-000-register-for-household-charge.html

How are they ever going to find them if they don't know they exist ?
    Shambles. They just thought everyone would register and pay and when the majority didn't they are totally lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Roverek

Just because some most of public servants get ridiculous allowances does not mean we all do. How much do you think the lowest (not the average now) public servant get paid. As in all sectors some get paid high and some get paid low. Unfortunatly in the public sector the higher paid get paid way more then they should and it can scews the stats
    You know deep in your heart that PS are overpaid ignorants, and NO private business will employ them, becouse they are not able to do antything properly. IT IS THE FACT!!! That is why this country is f.cked! But you do not care as long as you get your unfair wages. Well you take money from poor irish children in order to buy nice shoes FACT!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Probably gone to join Phil on "it's only ok if I object to it" island.
    All aboard the SS HYPOCRITE.
    ENVIRONMENT Minister Phil Hogan, who is in the eye of a storm over the household charge, is refusing to pay service charges on his penthouse apartment in Portugal, the Sunday Independent can reveal.

Mr Hogan, who has an apartment in Villamoura on the Algarve, has an outstanding service charge of €4,320, according to a 'debtors' list document dated March 27.

Yesterday, the minister confirmed that fees "of that order" were outstanding but said that he was in dispute with the apartment complex's management company.

"Would you pay a charge if you were unhappy with the service?" he asked.

"This has nothing to do with public services."

Is it something I asked or said???:D
    ...........................cooking up another bullsh!t post and excuse to get out of this one,over non payment of the poll tax,but then all his" Mr Do Gooder" posts here over the household charge.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

There was a good dissapearance when he tried to discredit a few posters through grammar nazi tactics a week or 2 ago, but it came back to bite in the best way it can where them grammar one`s are involved.

Gone for an entire day. Posted in another thread though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,519 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

mikom wrote: »
    Probably gone to join Phil on "it's only ok if I object to it" island.
    All aboard the SS HYPOCRITE.

Hogan is a hypocrite. Out and out hypocrite if this is true. He wants us to pay for very poor services while he refuses to pay for very poor services himself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement