Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The worst punishment imposed by your parents

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Kerry hawk

mloc wrote: »
    Ah, so there's a generic problem with "kids today" is there? I wasn't aware. Every generation seems to say this, as if they are totally unaware of social evolution and societal changes.

I would imagine it has nothing to do with not being beaten by their parents. I would imagine the minority of young people you are referring to are quite simply the result of parents who pay them no attention, take no interest in their child's development and no investment into their upbringing.

Raising a child isn't about beating it so it follows rules. It's about instructing and teaching children how to make their own sensible decisions and learn self direction.

Yeah, any clown can see kids today are away more mouthier, disrespectul and spoiled compared to before. Alot of my friends have kids, they are not smacked and they are little insulting brats, but I have other friends who slap their kids and my nephews and Nieces are slapped and they are totally different, away nicer and respectful and obiedent. Our opinions differ but my parents were not lazy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭ihsb

My mother being disappointed in me. Awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Vandy West

The worst i ever got was getting grounded until i memorized the spelling and meaning of all the words in the dictionary between a and d. Took about two weeks but finally got it. Think the parents were sick of having to quiz me so they gave me easy ones.

The best "threat" i ever heard of was my sister-in-law used to tell her 3-4 year old twins that Bin Laden was in the attic (this was just after 9-11), she would then bang the attic hatch with a broom in the hallway if she heard them out of bed in their bedroom. never heard kids move so quick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

It's amazing how people will try to rationalise child abuse, especially when parents seem to devise almost sadistic methods of inflicting extra pain on their children.

Isn't the point of corporal punishment to inflict pain? What do you mean "extra pain". If it is planned from the start isn't it all part of the original amount of pain intended?

Isn't the point of corporal punishment to inflict pain? What do you mean "extra pain". If it is planned from the start isn't it all part of the original amount of pain intended?
    There's a big difference between a slap that stings for a few seconds and a beating that is painful for hours.

Edit: Some posters mentioned having stuff applied that prolonged the pain, that is bordering on sadistic.

• Advertisement

There's a big difference between a slap that stings for a few seconds and a beating that is painful for hours.

Edit: Some posters mentioned having stuff applied that prolonged the pain, that is bordering on sadistic.

I never said there wasn't a big difference between a slap that stings for a few seconds and a beating that is painful for hours.
    What I meant was that if a parent intends to deliver a beating that is painful for hours, where is the extra pain?
    Similarly if the even if the parent is a sadist and applies stuff to prolong the pain, where is the extra pain?

(extra) Pain adding to the humiliation of being punished perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Confiscated my Xbox. For an avid gamer that lived in the back of beyond this was horrible. Now that I live in the city it would not be so bad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 kneeler

ColeTrain wrote: »

Your sister got spanked at 17? Between that and your previous post you're either at it or had a seriously bad upbringing.

We were spanked until we were 19 or 20. Coming home late at nigh would always mean the cane. Even after we started working we would be spanked. My sister got a job in an office and she had a navy pleated skirt and wore tights to work. After about three weeks she got some lipstick on a curtain and she was brought down to the couch and spanked and pasted. We lived near a Magdalen laundry and there was always the threat of being put into it. A friend of mine knew someone who had been in it and she said you are better off being battered by your parents than by the nuns, The priest or the reverend mother could put you in if it was thought you were wild. the priest used to call around the houses and liked to see the cabne hanging up.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

I had my birthday party cancelled once. I didn't do a thing to deserve it either. My sister had a lying problem when we were kids and she didn't like people getting more attention than her. She was running around and fell and cut her face. She told our dad that I'd hit her and he cancelled my party.

The worst lie she told was the one were she said our babysitter had hit her. The babysitter had done no such thing. I told my mam this but she didn't believe me. She was convinced I was trying to protect her because I was afraid of her or some stupid reason like that. :rolleyes: My mam had marched around to the 15 yr old babysitter's house and had a huge argument with her dad. My mam was threatening to call the garda too but didn't because we were telling two different stories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

Making me sit there and eat Oxtail soup even though I hated it, I was literally made sit at the table for about an hour. Funny thing is it's now one of my favourite soups, I was just being bratty.

A teacher did something similar to me on a school trip when I was in 6th class of primary school. The teacher had ordered a fry for everyone's breakfast. There was 2 fried eggs on it... I absolutely detest eggs, just the smell of them still does make me feel sick even today (and greasy fried food has never sat well in my stomach). I refused to eat them. The teacher, Ms Walsh i think her name was, made me sit at the table, kept threatening me (saying she leave me behind blah blah) and eventually forced me to eat the eggs which I'm pretty sure she regretted afterwards because two minutes later, I'd projectile vomited the eggs, all over my clothes, the table and her.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Alan 1990

Feck the wooden spoon lads they were flimsy, I loved them compared to those plastic serving spoons that didn't break *flashback*

Had worse punishments than that but I'd admit I deserved them most of the time..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭bath handle

kneeler wrote: »
    ColeTrain wrote: »

Your sister got spanked at 17? Between that and your previous post you're either at it or had a seriously bad upbringing.

We were spanked until we were 19 or 20. Coming home late at nigh would always mean the cane. Even after we started working we would be spanked. My sister got a job in an office and she had a navy pleated skirt and wore tights to work. After about three weeks she got some lipstick on a curtain and she was brought down to the couch and spanked and pasted. We lived near a Magdalen laundry and there was always the threat of being put into it. A friend of mine knew someone who had been in it and she said you are better off being battered by your parents than by the nuns, The priest or the reverend mother could put you in if it was thought you were wild. the priest used to call around the houses and liked to see the cabne hanging up.
    Why didn't your sister get a flat? Are you seriously saying that a 20 year old woman would go to a house late, and be prepared to remove her underwear preparatory to being savagely beaten on her bare backside ? Are you saying that she was afraid of being sent to a Magdalene Home if she did not submit to this shocking barbarity ?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Why didn't your sister get a flat? Are you seriously saying that a 20 year old woman would go to a house late, and be prepared to remove her underwear preparatory to being savagely beaten on her bare backside ? Are you saying that she was afraid of being sent to a Magdalene Home if she did not submit to this shocking barbarity ?

The kind of psychological hold these sadistic fuсks have over their children goes way beyond their 18th birthday unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Kerry hawk

I would imagine that it was a long time ago that kneeler suffered these punishments., when it was unheard of for a young person to question their elders, or do anything that would disagree with their views, I mean the maggies were in the picture, and thankfully that shower are gone with a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Nothing. We were never punished when we were kids, really. Not that I can remember. My Dad liked to fuck with our heads a bit but that was his personality, not a punishment. :rolleyes:

I know my Father and his siblings were abused when they were kids so I guess that made him very easy on me and my siblings. My Mother has always been quite strict with us but never punished us for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Kerry hawk wrote: »
    I would imagine that it was a long time ago that kneeler suffered these punishments., when it was unheard of for a young person to question their elders, or do anything that would disagree with their views, I mean the maggies were in the picture, and thankfully that shower are gone with a while.

Not really. The last laundry closed in the mid 90's. The rise of washing machines in the Irish home made them obselete and unprofitable to run.

But back on topic, the gestapo have nothing on some of the parents mentioned in this thread. Even weirder that some people accept it as perfectly normal behaviour.

Until the Age of Majority Act of 1985 a 20 year old was, in law, an infant. The parents had to right to their wages which they could obtain directly from the employer if they wished. A 20 year old had a reduced legal capacity to enter a contract of letting, being a minor.
    Caning was an everyday activity with canings being carried out in schools up and down the country until 1982.
    In the case of THE KING v. DONOVAN [1934] 2 K.B.498 the following happened

"The appellant, being charged with caning a girl of seventeen for purposes of sexual gratification, pleaded in defence that the prosecutrix had consented, and the chairman of quarter sessions in summing-up directed the jury that "consent or no consent" was the vital issue in the case:-

But it is submitted that these limitations do not apply here. The act complained of is not illegal in itself and the injuries are only the marks of a cane which would appear in administering ordinary corporal punishment. There was no breach of the King's peace, nor was there any injury to the public, as in a prize fight, nor any unfriendly relationship."

The appellant was acquitted.

Beating the buttocks with a cane was considered to be normal punishment. Section 37 of the Children Act authorised parents to use corporal punishment.

It would have caused a scandal. That time you were not alalowed to argue with your parents. If you asked could you go out you would be told the time to come home at. If you protested you would be told you could not go out at all. If you kept arguing you would be spanked. You had to do exactly what your parents told you without question. Arguing was called backchat and you would be spanked for it. If you were told to do something around the house you had to say "certainly" and do it straight away. When it was done you had to say it was done and ask if there was anything else for you to do. If you sat down in a room and something was dirty or untidy you would be spanked for sittting down when there was work to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

When I was ten I destroyed my sisters dolls house and the old man gave out to me (no real biggy) but I kinda got the hump and told him I didn't need him in my life (ya very dramatic i know) so I put some of his clothes in a bag and told him to get out of the house.

He took the bag and went to the driving range for an hour.

I spent the entire hour crying my heart out thinking I ruined the family.

Wasn't really a punishment but I didn't ruin any more dolls houses :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

When I was ten I destroyed my sisters dolls house and the old man gave out to me (no real biggy) but I kinda got the hump and told him I didn't need him in my life (ya very dramatic i know) so I put some of his clothes in a bag and told him to get out of the house.

He took the bag and went to the driving range for an hour.

I spent the entire hour crying my heart out thinking I ruined the family.

Wasn't really a punishment but I didn't ruin any more dolls houses :D
    That's really sweet! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

It would have caused a scandal.

When was this again?

When was this again?

It was around 1970. At that time in the town we lived in, the only reason you left home before they got married was if the parents had thrown you out for immoral behaviour. You could lose your job if your employer thought it was giving rise to scandal. Most single people lived in lodgings if they did not live with their parents. You had to get a job in Dublin or some other city if you wanted to get out from your parents house. Single girls were very badly paid as well. Men got more than women and married men got more than single. After paying rent theree would be next to nothing left. There was always the threat of tyhe Magdalene Laundry. You never knew if the priest would put his eye on you. Th epriest used to come around the houses regularly looking for children for the industrial school and the laundry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

There were no rivers of piss and puke in the streets at night that time. Nor were there assaults in the street leading to death every weekend and some weekdays as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Kosseegan wrote: »
    There were no rivers of piss and puke in the streets at night that time. Nor were there assaults in the street leading to death every weekend and some weekdays as well.
    Plenty of assaults in the laundries and industrial schools though.
    Domestic abuse was much more common then too. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's not going on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

Plenty of assaults in the laundries and industrial schools though.
    Domestic abuse was much more common then too. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's not going on.

That is why people didn't want to be put in them. If people knew they were going to be sent to some unpleasant place they wouldn't carry on like they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

I question, with this hyperbole of "rivers of piss and puke", whether you're just back to wind people up?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭margio

That is why people didn't want to be put in them. If people knew they were going to be sent to some unpleasant place they wouldn't carry on like they do.

What age are you?, your deffo only a piss taker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Youve already been banned previously for posts made in this thread so dont post here anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭bath handle

Until the Age of Majority Act of 1985 a 20 year old was, in law, an infant. The parents had to right to their wages which they could obtain directly from the employer if they wished. A 20 year old had a reduced legal capacity to enter a contract of letting, being a minor.
    Caning was an everyday activity with canings being carried out in schools up and down the country until 1982.
    In the case of THE KING v. DONOVAN [1934] 2 K.B.498 the following happened

"The appellant, being charged with caning a girl of seventeen for purposes of sexual gratification, pleaded in defence that the prosecutrix had consented, and the chairman of quarter sessions in summing-up directed the jury that "consent or no consent" was the vital issue in the case:-

But it is submitted that these limitations do not apply here. The act complained of is not illegal in itself and the injuries are only the marks of a cane which would appear in administering ordinary corporal punishment. There was no breach of the King's peace, nor was there any injury to the public, as in a prize fight, nor any unfriendly relationship."

The appellant was acquitted.

Beating the buttocks with a cane was considered to be normal punishment. Section 37 of the Children Act authorised parents to use corporal punishment.
    Just because it was legal doesn't mean it was right .

Advertisement