Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

The bottom line is that no new stadium is being built in the forseeable future, rendering the current east v west argument pointless, petty and annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Hslaw wrote: »
    it's a do or die game. don't fancy playing the dubs twice i have no doubt KK will beat galway. so we must win. we will have to throw everything at them kitchen sink washing machine and fridge.
    No, it isn't. It'd be great if we won on Sunday. But despite what you seem to think it'd still be worth our while turning up for the play-off should we lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

deiseach wrote: »
    it's a do or die game. don't fancy playing the dubs twice i have no doubt KK will beat galway. so we must win. we will have to throw everything at them kitchen sink washing machine and fridge..
    No, it isn't. It'd be great if we won on Sunday. But despite what you seem to think it'd still be worth our while turning up for the play-off should we lose.

I'd rather not be in the play off's. So a win Sunday and a loss for galway is a must to secure our 1A status

And that's about all we'd be lucky to salvage from this years league.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

The bottom line is that no new stadium is being built in the forseeable future, rendering the current east v west argument pointless, petty and annoying.

Typical reponse from the West when they know they haven't a leg to stand on.. sooner we get Eastren Board members with balls in the majority and oust those sheep herding westerners the better..

Just because they like living in pig farms and are used to sitting in filth they think the rest of us should be happy with Frather Field and Walsh park.

Both grounds are dumps and the reason is the Eastern board members are lambs and let the west guys run the show.

I was thinking of writing something else on the subject but said I won't :D

I'd rather not be in the play off's. So a win Sunday and a loss for galway is a must to secure our 1A status

NO, IT ISN'T. We can lose on Sunday and/or Galway could win and we can still stay up.

• Advertisement

Funfair wrote: »

Typical reponse from the West when they know they haven't a leg to stand on.. sooner we get Eastren Board members with balls in the majority and oust those sheep herding westerners the better..

Just because they like living in pig farms and are used to sitting in filth they think the rest of us should be happy with Frather Field and Walsh park.

Both grounds are dumps and the reason is the Eastern board members are lambs and let the west guys run the show.

I was thinking of writing something else on the subject but said I won't :D

You did a good job of not writing that! :p

You did a good job of not writing that! :p
    Best post I've never read

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

bit of a chip on your shoulder about the Waterford COUNTY hurling team Funfair!!!!

The team represents the whole county & not just the city, wouldn't be much of a team without pigfarmers like Brick Walsh, Paul O'Brien, Shane Walsh, Liam Lawlor, the Prendergasts, Kearney, Fives x 2, BabyDan! etc

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

plus It looks like Dungarvan will have a University before Waterford City too!

P.S. Love ALL my county!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,773 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

On current form do you think Waterford will beat Clare in June. ??

Clare are doing very well in div 1b and if they win the playoff they will be in a league semi final.

Davy will know Waterford like the back of his hand and will probly dance around the sit line if he wins in June

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

deiseach wrote: »
    NO, IT ISN'T. We can lose on Sunday and/or Galway could win and we can still stay up.

Do you honestly think we'll beat Dublin twice. cos I don't

comeraghs wrote: »
    bit of a chip on your shoulder about the Waterford COUNTY hurling team Funfair!!!!

The team represents the whole county & not just the city, wouldn't be much of a team without pigfarmers like Brick Walsh, Paul O'Brien, Shane Walsh, Liam Lawlor, the Prendergasts, Kearney, Fives x 2, BabyDan! etc

Think he was messing to be fair. Molumphy is another one of note to add.

PTH2009 wrote: »

Clare are doing very well in div 1b and if they win the playoff they will be in a league semi final.

Davy will know Waterford like the back of his hand and will probly dance around the sit line if he wins in June

Probably not, but then current form won't decide who wins it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

PTH2009 wrote: »

If we were to play them in championship this weekend Id say not, theyre flying it at the moment were quite the opposite. But championship is till almost 3 months away and I still think we have more quality and leadership than them. If we get it right in the interim we should be beating them

Get a grip if people want to live in the sticks let them but we won't be building a new stadium up in the are hole of no where to accommodate them.. Cariganore is the only place to build as its closest to main bulk of the population in the city full stop.

Please no one walk into this one. theres enough boring arguments on this board it takes from the interesting posts

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭mickmcl09

Way too early to forecast who will win out between Clare & Waterford. In fact, it'll literally be all on the day. A great/soft goal or an equally great/lucky save will inevitably separate the sides, who knows, if one team plays with high intensity and the other doesn't turn up, then somebody could get a hammering either way.

Clare are physically stronger this year, but how could a pundit call this even closer to the time when there'll be weeks of the teams doing their own thing, between the end of the league and the game. Just under even money (with the bookies) for both teams I'd imagine when we get closer to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

comeraghs wrote: »

Not talking about players, they could pick the whole bricky rangers team and I'll still be shouting for them once they put on the Waterford Jersey.

I'm complaining about the incompetent people running the Co.Board.

Big thick useless tools from East to West gets onto these boards.
    Once they get the taste of Power nothing else but there own ego's take over.

Genuine hurling people never put their name foreward to go on these boards because I'm guessing they are either too busy playing or coaching within the club and leave the Politics to others. Or they know who's on it are Dinosaurs living in the past.

4 weeks into the league and we have 2 selectors walking out. No genuine explaination from the Co.Board as to why ? Say nothing as usual and let the rumour-mill take over, this how they deal with everything, brush it under the carpet.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭crazy_kenny

Hopefully Sean Cullinane can sort out full back position. He was the last decent full back we had.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

Hopefully Sean Cullinane can sort out full back position. He was the last decent full back we had.

Lawlor seems to be doing ok back there. No goals conceded for the last two games cant remember when that last happened, looks like we could have our goalkeeper sorted aswell.

Fentdog84 wrote: »
    Lawlor seems to be doing ok back there. No goals conceded for the last two games cant remember when that last happened, looks like we could have our goalkeeper sorted aswell. Also, Philip Mahoney very impressive at corner back, must be a decent shout to start against Clare, even if Noel Connors is fit.

You'd hardly start Mahoney ahead of Connors?

• Advertisement

Fentdog84 wrote: »
    looks like we could have our goalkeeper sorted aswell.

I agree but Id still like to see A.Power get a start against Dublin the next day. SOK has done well and is surely in pole position to start against Clare in the chship but Power deserves a shout aswell. If Iggy and SOK each got 2 games Power deserves at least one considering there isnt much between any of the 3 keepers. Power is probably the best shot stopper out of them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭egpower

I'm complaining about the incompetent people running the Co.Board.

Big thick useless tools from East to West gets onto these boards.
    Once they get the taste of Power nothing else but there own ego's take over.

That's the greatest load of dripping horse manure I have ever read. If you really think there are fools running the board (and you may be right) then put your name forward at the next convention. If you're not willing to do this, then put up with who you have and don't criticise those people who are doing their best. We all know there is no queue for these jobs - very few actually want them.
    Sorry to pick on you Funfair, but I feel very strongly on this. I am a GAA fan and a coach but I have also served as an administrator and it aint easy. We get the administrators we deserve / elect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

egpower wrote: »
    That's the greatest load of dripping horse manure I have ever read. If you really think there are fools running the board (and you may be right) then put your name forward at the next convention. If you're not willing to do this, then put up with who you have and don't criticise those people who are doing their best. We all know there is no queue for these jobs - very few actually want them.
    Sorry to pick on you Funfair, but I feel very strongly on this. I am a GAA fan and a coach but I have also served as an administrator and it aint easy. We get the administrators we deserve / elect.

While these guys might be very good in terms of giving over their time, thats not to say they are competent. The barriers to entry are reasonably high, and the system in general would be fairly off-putting to newcomers.

Personally I couldn't be bothered dealing with the amount of bureaucracy involved in GAA admin, and it would drive me mad to listen to hours of waffle every month at county/divisional board meetings.

So, potentially good newcomers would be turned off by the old fashioned structure and procedures, and without them the status quo will remain. Catch-22.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

hardybuck wrote: »
    While these guys might be very good in terms of giving over their time, thats not to say they are competent. The barriers to entry are reasonably high, and the system in general would be fairly off-putting to newcomers.

Personally I couldn't be bothered dealing with the amount of bureaucracy involved in GAA admin, and it would drive me mad to listen to hours of waffle every month at county/divisional board meetings.

So, potentially good newcomers would be turned off by the old fashioned structure and procedures, and without them the status quo will remain. Catch-22.

When old men get their foot in the door on the county boards they are there for life. Outdated and backward structures remain in place which is supported by old men with big egos now that they are sitting on eastern and western boards. Look at the state of the adult club structures in the county. Except for the senior clubs the rest of the adult club structures are a total shambles. One side of our very small county have a separate set up for the running of intermediate club games and the other side of the county are doing their own thing separately. This is why games at these levels are poor resulting in hammerings by the county intermediate and junior champions every year in munster. We are meant to be one county but in reality due to the egos of those sitting on the divisional boards the county is split in two with poor quality games and as a result the county’s potential is not been maximised like in other counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭DeiseX

alllcounty wrote: »
    When old men get their foot in the door on the county boards they are there for life. Outdated and backward structures remain in place which is supported by old men with big egos now that they are sitting on eastern and western boards. Look at the state of the adult club structures in the county. Except for the senior clubs the rest of the adult club structures are a total shambles. One side of our very small county have a separate set up for the running of intermediate club games and the other side of the county are doing their own thing separately. This is why games at these levels are poor resulting in hammerings by the county intermediate and junior champions every year in munster. We are meant to be one county but in reality due to the egos of those sitting on the divisional boards the county is split in two with poor quality games and as a result the county’s potential is not been maximised like in other counties.

+1000!!!

A county the size of Waterford has no need for divisional boards. An all county Intermediate hurling and football championship is merited. As mentioned above, our Junior and Intermediate champions have not faired so well in the Munster Championship so the abolition of Eastern/Western champions may be some step towards improving the overall standard in the county.

DeiseX wrote: »
    +1000!!!

A county the size of Waterford has no need for divisional boards. An all county Intermediate hurling and football championship is merited. As mentioned above, our Junior and Intermediate champions have not faired so well in the Munster Championship so the abolition of Eastern/Western champions may be some step towards improving the overall standard in the county.

Or how about even an intermediate league? I have a mate that lives in Dublin and is travelling home for an average of eight games per year, plus the scheduling of them is totally sporadic.

If and when he eventually transfers to a Dublin club he will get about 16 league games scheduled normally every two weeks, a minimum of 2 championship games, and also divisional cup competitions at the start of the year. How could a Waterford club compete with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭egpower

That's exactly the point I am highlighting here. You think the whole thing is a pile of dung (which it probably is) but you are not willing to change it from within. For my money you don't have a right to be critical of the people who are doing the job (whether they are competent or not) if you're not willing to do it yourself. Why not get like-minded people to go with you and change it ? If you are better than the people that are there, then people will support you. I know at least 2 co board administrators personally (one is no longer there). They are not old. They are not thick. They are people I would have the height of regard for. If the result of their work is not as good as it should be, maybe we should ask why. But I don't think we can be critical unless we are willing to put our name forward.

egpower wrote: »
    That's exactly the point I am highlighting here. You think the whole thing is a pile of dung (which it probably is) but you are not willing to change it from within. For my money you don't have a right to be critical of the people who are doing the job (whether they are competent or not) if you're not willing to do it yourself. Why not get like-minded people to go with you and change it ? If you are better than the people that are there, then people will support you. I know at least 2 co board administrators personally (one is no longer there). They are not old. They are not thick. They are people I would have the height of regard for. If the result of their work is not as good as it should be, maybe we should ask why. But I don't think we can be critical unless we are willing to put our name forward.

Well first things first, it wouldn't be possible for me. I don't live in Waterford, and my job regularly takes me abroad.

Even if I wasn't, the environment for change simply is not there. In my line of work, good ideas are translated into actions. I don't have to worry about section 29, subsection (d), paragraph (IV) of the rulebook to get the job done. Look at the GAA's recent approach to manager payments. We all know that nearly every county does it, yet nearly every one voted against legalising it, but will carry on doing it anyway.

Also, I would have serious concerns for their professionalism at the highest level. I can remember when Davy Fitz's position was being reviewed, and the County Board Chairman made a public for him to stay. The very next day the same guy was appointed to a three man committee to carry out the review. You couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

Also, I would have serious concerns for their professionalism at the highest level. I can remember when Davy Fitz's position was being reviewed, and the County Board Chairman made a public for him to stay. The very next day the same guy was appointed to a three man committee to carry out the review. You couldn't make it up.

Agree 100% with the concerns regarding professionalism here, massive issue. But when people get voted in, this is the risk.

• Advertisement

Just read Br Ryan's piece on Hoganstand explaining his situation. Looks like he's handled the whole situation with a fair amount of class, best of luck to him in the future.

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=165195

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement