Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Yeah EnterNow, make sure my Asian Mega Drive region and hz mods are getting a good contact and the circuit is properly broken! :D

Actually yours did it too on Sonic @60Hz :eek: I reset the console & all was well. It must be a hiccup in the Z80 or something, I've seen it happen randomly at times.

Don't worry I always use a multimeter to make things are connecting & disconnecting as they should be, yours got a clean bill of health :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Actually yours did it too.

:eek:

Don't worry I always use a multimeter.

:)

You know the way retro games kinda have a set/established price now, depending on the game. Super Mario World, tends to come in at around €10/€12 ok, what I wonder is will it & similar games go up in value as the years go on. Will we reach a day where Super Mario World will be worth €34/€40, say in another 20 years time? Or will it always be just worth what its worth?

Not that game in particular, I just used it as a very popular game

• Registered Users Posts: 8,851 ✭✭✭Steve X2

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I seem to be taking over the cheaper end of the great PS2 shooter market, leave the expensive posh stuff to Pyongyang and Steve SI, or rather they let their butler do it for them!
    I wonder if the courier is allowed bring the games to the front door or do they hand it in at the gate lodge....

I usually send Jenkins to collect any rare games I've bought. I don't trust the postal system to get them to me in good shape.
    He's certainly built up some air miles over the last while :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,534 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    You know the way retro games kinda have a set/established price now, depending on the game. Super Mario World, tends to come in at around €10/€12 ok, what I wonder is will it & similar games go up in value as the years go on. Will we reach a day where Super Mario World will be worth €34/€40, say in another 20 years time? Or will it always be just worth what its worth?

Not that game in particular, I just used it as a very popular game

Best thing to do is to compare it to the current antique market. That is pretty much what these will be considered, videogame antiques.

As technology progresses, more and more people will be playing games. Sure look how popular it is now compared to 15 years ago.

More and more people will become interested in antique game collecting.

Then the longer time progresses, the more of these items either fail to work or just get lost/broken.

So yep, in the long run, I can only see prices going up. How much they go up by is another thing. But I'd say fragile boxed stuff (like Nintendo ones) are only going to soar and soar.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,134 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The only slight complication is that as technology improves more and more games will become easier and easier to get a hold of digitally. Might offset demand in some cases.

But yeah, for the physical collector will only face more and more trouble. Games that are uncommon now are only going to grow rarer as time progresses.

Master of the Universe

I think we've already gotten to that point now. You can pretty much emulate anything you want on any number of devices. Practically, there's no real reason for any of us to own this stuff.

o1s1n wrote: »
    I think we've already gotten to that point now. You can pretty much emulate anything you want on any number of devices. Practically, there's no real reason for any of us to own this stuff.

1156151_o.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I PM you with where you can drop all your unwanted retro-gaming collection so, I won't even charge you, that's how nice I am...

Master of the Universe

I should have probably put the word 'practically' in size 72 font :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Long shot.

But I don't suppose any of you guys who are based in dublin have a number 21 Basta key lying about your house?

Just home and have left my keys in LA....

I should have probably put the word 'practically' in size 72 font :D

You've woken The Hoard

Hordes1280-x-1024.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Just won a jap Saturn on eBay. Coming from the land of cuckoo clocks.
    Won it with only one bid on the item, so I'm a bit apphreshsive now after the initial joy at winning it. What have I missed that I'm the only bidder?
    Boxed white Oval button version, 4 games, step down converter, not discoloured and complete with all bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭Doge

I've seen that happen before, usually resetting the console sorts it. Make sure the region switch is getting a good contact & the 50Hz circuit is properly broken.

The time it happened I was flicking between each 3 regions to compare the speed in game.

I played it again today with it set to NTSC /60hz for the whole time, and it worked perfectly!

I'd say Sonic is just one of the games you shouldn't be switching the speed in game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,863 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I thought that about the NEO GEO. Then I got an MVS. emulation has no soul! :P

...Practically, there's no real reason for any of us to own this stuff.

Joking aside though, there is. Without people actually collecting and cherishing the original hardware and software, the emulation scene would not exist, full stop.

There would be nothing to rom-dump, and thus nothing to emulate!

waveform wrote: »
    The time it happened I was flicking between each 3 regions to compare the speed in game.

I played it again today with it set to NTSC /60hz for the whole time, and it worked perfectly!

I'd say Sonic is just one of the games you shouldn't be switching the speed in game.

Actually I think that's what I did too. It's possible those switches are not 'make-before-break' type, & don't break the circuit cleanly. It's always best to not hot-swap the display setting though as you said, with the only exception being locked out games which you have to do it on.

RIP Game.

RIP Game.

Are they gone?

Are they gone?

There was some stuff going on behind the scenes over the last few days so I'd say it's possible they didn't open stores this morning.
    As I said before my cousin works for them up the north and he's been posting stuff on Facebook that I'm sure they'd probably prefer stayed private :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,134 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Game Stop

RE: GAME, that's a pity. Less choice for the consumer.

I had heard that gamestop were buying them out. I was wondering what the competition authority would have to say about that, as a lot of places where both shops exist, like in the same shopping centre or high street or whatever, they compete directly with each other, which keeps prices to the consumer down.

They will most certainly be shutting the vast majority of GAME stores where there's a gamestop close by now, which is a good few that i know of.

Are they gone?

Was just getting coffee there and it flashed up as breaking news that Game Group had just entered administration.

Basically because nobody would buy them as the company has been valued as worthless.

Not officially dead yet but I'd say that this is the death rattle and the actual time of death will be announced shortly. 6000 jobs on the line anyway, hope someone steps in to rescue them. In all honesty though you really wouldn't want to invest in GAME when companies like HMV et al are facing equally desperate times trying to restructure their businesses.

The future is digital. The need for stores retailing physical media is becoming less of a necessity. Personally I see the immediate future being almost entirely based on digital distribution. Physical media will become an afterthought, something obtainable only online either from a store or direct from X. I suppose if that were to blossom, the future looks even brighter for independents. Almost like a pre-VRA in the late 70's, early 80's when everyone and their uncle was putting out video cassettes. Or white labels and dub plates, mix tapes and whatnots.

The big challenge though in that respect (and to the majors) is how to have your cake and eat it. Having said cake, and wanting all of it is the problem and is stifling progress.

RE: GAME, that's a pity. Less choice for the consumer.

I had heard that gamestop were buying them out. I was wondering what the competition authority would have to say about that, as a lot of places where both shops exist, like in the same shopping centre or high street or whatever, they compete directly with each other, which keeps prices to the consumer down.

They will most certainly be shutting the vast majority of GAME stores where there's a gamestop close by now, which is a good few that i know of.

It seems that Gamestop only want them for their Spanish stores. They've been waiting for them to enter administration before making their move.
    Or so it goes anyway.

I had heard that gamestop were buying them out.

Doubtful, considering Gamestop is in equally deep buckets of faeces. Sure the one at the buttercup mall in Newry was closed down when I was there on Saturday.

These gafs will be off our high streets within 5 years, that's a certainty I would say (though my opinion counts for feck all of course, just sayin' :)). Maybe GAME or Gamestop could exist with solely an online presence, but it's too niche and probably not worth pouring money in to when everyone else is doing it better (e.g. Amazon and Rakuten Group) and cheaper than you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭RNB

Does anyone know if there's a retro game shop in Galway?

Doubtful, considering Gamestop is in equally deep buckets of faeces.

These gafs will be off our high streets within 5 years,

That's likely. The industry IS moving more and more towards DLC and internet sales. The walk-in retailers are actually turning into a niche in the market now, their higher costs are making it very hard to compete with an industry that's going digital, especially in a recession. They're going the way that estate agents did in the late 90's, it's the price of progress....

According to one walk-in retailer who i heard from a while back, the pre-owned games sales business is the only part of his operation that's making him money at the moment. It subsidizes the rest of his business from new retail sales, which he said was dire.

The whole "online pass" trend was very worrying to him, he said it could spell the end of his business if it takes off, and with the clout that many of the big publishing companies carry nowadays, there's no reason to think that it won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Steve SI wrote: »
    It seems that Gamestop only want them for their Spanish stores. They've been waiting for them to enter administration before making their move.
    Or so it goes anyway.

Yeah, from a business point of view, if Gamestop were to take over GAME, they would have to take on their debt if it was pre administration. While now GAME is in admin, their creditors can be burned.

Yeah, from a business point of view, if Gamestop were to take over GAME, they would have to take on their debt if it was pre administration. While now GAME is in admin, their creditors can be burned.

Yep, good business practice and all that.
    If they do take their Spanish and Portuguese stores on I'd say they'll get them for next to nothing.

Edit:
    And as anyone who follows these things will know, Gamestop have wanted to buy the Spanish and Portuguese business from GAME for a good while now. So they must be bloody delighted about them going into administration.

• Advertisement

The Videogame Year

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement