Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Effect 3: The Ending(s) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

It's so obvious whats going to happen, there'll be loads of strange goings on in that planet, eventually they'll come across a door\viewport deep in the ground that they can't open and spend a few dlc's on trying to open it and discover that there's another mysterious bunch of people on the planet that keeps trying to attack and kidnap them. It'll be the greatest dlc ever.
    People won't be any happier about the ending though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Question, I haven't finished the game yet so please don't spoil anything beyond what I ask.
    Just killed Kai Lang (I think that's his name). There's a renegade QTE thingy when the whole party ridiculously turns their back on seemingly without checking he's dead, resulting in Shepard killing Kai Lang. If you don't hit the mouse button here can Shepard die? I'm assuming the answer is no considering there's plenty of game left after that point but what happens if I don't do anything?

Anyway I've reached
    Earth
    now, thought the cutscene was awesome. Will finish the game tomorrow most likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

Well I just finished it. Have to say the game was brilliant, just the plot holes at the end that soured it.

Hopefully they will release some decent DLC to tie up the loose ends and give a good epilogue.

There's a bug at the end when Shepard is having flashbacks of the crew and others after he chooses what to do with the reapers. You get flashback images of Joker, Anderson and Liara/Kaiden/Ashely, the last one being your love interest.

Anyone that romanced anyone else bar those three gets a flashback of Liara instead. Thanks to the Bioware forums I was able to put in Miranda (Note: Miranda seems to be the only other LI that there has been a working flashback created for) instead :)

Now I just need to hope Bioware will let me go and find Miranda after all this, seeing as Shepard promised her like :pac:

The cutscene of them about to attack Earth reminded me of a similar scene from Serenity, when the Firefly flies through the cloud, followed by a horde of Reavers.

I've been thinking about the ending now and the fact you don't see much of the armies you've amassed - somewhat this was the right thing to do. You're playing as Shepard, you see what he/she sees and hear what he/she hears, so there was realistically no way for you to see the whole war as Shepard wouldn't have seen this. What you would get is tidbits, like Jack informing about their progress over the vidlink, or the marines listening to the killrates, or the different companies announcing how they're doing.

However, what I would love to see is how your choices have impacted the game - how the Krogan are doing, if you've cured the genophage, how the Geth and the Quarians are coping living on the same planet, if this is what you've done and how some races are doing without their homeworld, like the Hanar, if you that's how the sidemission went.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

Just finished, doesn't seem worth staying up this late
    Yeah, I saved the galaxy and destroyed the reapers and EDI and Joker are going to have squishy terminator babies but now all the races are stuck on earth, I wasted time getting the quarians a homeworld they can't travel back to, I'm dead, I don't know how curing the genophage will turn out, I've no idea who survived back on earth, me and Garrus will never adopt our krogan babies, what was the point in doing all those missions to strenghtening the citadel if it's just going to be nicked and encased in a metal tampon and I've lost my space hamster.

I just feel unfullfilled and not impressed. After 3 games the endings should have been much more epic and most of all, different from one another

I'm a huge fan of Bioware, KOTOR is my favourite game of all time. Why did EA have to buy them?? They're a poison, only concerned with money and churning out titles. It's okay though, EA have Bioware working on Command and Conquer next- cause that's what you want the leading rpg developers working on, real time statagies.

I am also against DLC with another ending because it's a really sh*tty thing to do to your fans, even if you're trying to correct the last sh*tty thing you did to them. However if it's free DLC i'm for it, at least then they're trying to do right by the fans. But that won't happen. It's EA.

/rant
    (also appologies for poor spelling/wandering rambles and rants. It's late and I've been playing for 5 hours without blinking)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

i felt exactly like that about the citadel too :/

I feel like the Citadel has to be one of the most unsafe places to live in the entire Universe. Over the 3 games, how many times was it attacked?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

3 times

Was it not more than that? I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

You'd th original reaper attack in 1, the cerebus attack in me3 and the final reaper one in 3.

• Advertisement

Ah, would you consider the Geth attack and the Reaper attack to be separate or one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Was it not more than that? I thought.

Once by Saren and Harbinger ME1, Once by Cerberus ME3 and finally by the Reapers ME3. It was not attacked at all in ME2.

Mass effect loves 3s
    Number of years in which the events happen
    Number of games
    Number of attacks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Jester252 wrote: »
    Mass effect loves 3s
    Number of years in which the events happen
    Number of games
    Number of attacks

Number of "endings". The world is obsessed with the number three, always has been. Makes sense, you have two extremes and one compromise, its the bare-minimum for a spectrum.

Maybe the number of dlcs to change the ending @ €10 each

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

To be honest, I'm still baffled why they stopped at 3 games. It has fans and it makes money so why stop at 3? Make a fourth or a spinoff and see how it does. My guess would be quite well.

Halo had more than 3 games when you factor in ODST, Halo wars and Reach and even that series is continuing with Halo 4. There has been a new COD every year since 1872. Assasins creed 11 is out soon. GTA has had a dozen incarnations.

New IP's have a very high failure rate. Why not try and hang on to a successfull one? If they had continued the Reaper war or done a time skip people would have been much happier than the crap we got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I hope that's all satirical.

Who doesn't want more Mass effect? If they made a 4th, people would eat it up. Wasting Bioware on C&C is madness. I love me some real time strat gaming and command and conquer is a great series......but thats not their strength. It's a waste.

If you find something disagreeable with my post, say so. That sentence is the equivalent to an emoticon. It doesn't add anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭InvisibleBadger

Kirby wrote: »
    Who doesn't want more Mass effect? If they made a 4th, people would eat it up. Wasting Bioware on C&C is madness. I love me some real time strat gaming and command and conquer is a great series......but thats not their strength. It's a waste.

The head of Bioware promised new full mass effect games in his press release. How that works after Shepard annihilated half the galaxy is beyond me!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

To be honest, I'm still baffled why they stopped at 3 games. It has fans and it makes money so why stop at 3? Make a fourth or a spinoff and see how it does. My guess would be quite well.

Halo had more than 3 games when you factor in ODST, Halo wars and Reach and even that series is continuing with Halo 4. There has been a new COD every year since 1872. Assasins creed 11 is out soon. GTA has had a dozen incarnations.

New IP's have a very high failure rate. Why not try and hang on to a successfull one? If they had continued the Reaper war or done a time skip people would have been much happier than the crap we got.

You know that's not a bad idea...in fact I'm pretty sure someone at EA is thinking this :)
    What they could do is re-release ME1/ME2/ME3 over the next 5-6 years...rename the characters/models etc and just claim

"50,000 years later after Commander Shephard saved his people a new hero is needed to once again fight off the Reaper menace."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I've read previously that while ME3 is the last of the 'Shepard trilogy', there will be more games set within the Mass Effect universe which follow different characters and stories; and they will not be importing ME3 save games.

If you find something disagreeable with my post, say so. That sentence is the equivalent to an emoticon. It doesn't add anything.

I did find something disagreeable with your post and I did say so. You know what I don't like about your post. You're advocating churning out even more sequels/prequels/spinoff crap into a market you admit is already saturated with them. And you say you would rather that to new projects being worked on.
    Personally I like having closure to something. I don't want some never ending story, that eventually destroys all fond memories I ever had of it being good. The ending to 3 is shaping up as enough of a mood killer without seeing ME7: Shepard Returns on a shelf.
    Whatever about how they did choose to end it they had a concept for a trilogy and they followed it through and in doing that they made 3 fantastic games. That's not something that would have happened if they planned to fart out a sequel every year. That's not quality.
    You're entitled to your opinion but I do still hope you're joking by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Just on this point, the team that is making C&C is not the actual Bioware team, it's a studio that was called Victory Games that was renamed by EA to Bioware Victory. It has nothing to do with the behind Mass Effect.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Indeed, there are 8 Bioware studio's now...thanks to EA.

Shryke wrote: »
    I did find something disagreeable with your post and I did say so. You know what I don't like about your post..

How would I know? You didn't say anything in your first post. "You serious, lol!" has no information so nobody would have known where you stood. Your second post was much better as it actually laid out what your opinion was.
    You're advocating churning out even more sequels/prequels/spinoff crap into a market you admit is already saturated with them.

No I'm not. I'm advocating continuing a much loved, critically acclaimed series. Mass effect 4 would not be "crap". None of them so far have been.

That's not something that would have happened if they planned to fart out a sequel every year. That's not quality.

And who suggested they do this? Me? Where exactly did I specify in my post they should make a sequel every year? I must have missed that bit. You seem to be arguing against points I never made.

Bioware have never farted out anything. If they choose to make another game it will be worked on for a number of years like all their titles. I hope they do. I quite like Mass Effect. If you don't want them to continue the franchise for fear of it "soiling your memories" than why play ME2? It may have ruined your memories of the first one. That's not a very enlightened attitude to have. You will never try anything new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

You know, I was thinking of a couple of other things that don't make sense at the end.

It's already been asked why was the Normandy in FTL flying away from Earth in the first place, among a few other things.

In my ending, I chose to destroy the Reapers and my Shep lived. But why did the shockwave that destroyed the Reapers and Mass Relays not harm the allied fleet around Earth, but somehow managed to seriously damage the Normandy?

Also if my Shep is on the Citadel, which is in orbit over Earth, how the hell is he waking up in a pile of rubble in London? :confused:

ME is a trilogy and as such it has integrity. That's the point I made in my post and I stand by it. It stands perfectly on its own as a brilliant work without being a franchise that gets flogged to death like Halo.

Saying that any new ME game that's made is going to be brilliant and giving me a time frame and everything... that's great. I wish I had your powers but I doubt you can actually see potential futures. The way I do see it though, is that when looking at an extended franchise rather than a set goal of 3 games the overall quality of games in an arc will suffer. I don't mean gameplay, I mean story. That's what I play ME for. That's why I'm glad they ended it the way they did.

"If you don't want them to continue the franchise for fear of it "soiling your memories" than why play ME2?"
    Most of your post is grand but this is hyperbole and ignoring what I said completely. Going with your argueing style then I could say that ME could never have been made in the first place. Bioware could have just focused on Baldurs Gate or a new Star Wars and not on something new and brilliant but then that's really neither here nor there.

"Where exactly did I specify in my post they should make a sequel every year? I must have missed that bit."
    You're a very literal person to speak with. If you want me to flesh out my views any more I'd be happy to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

I don't see how they can possibly make another game in the mass effect universe after destroying all the relays.
    Unless they go with the angle that now, cause everyone's stuck in the sol system, lets see how fast famine, disease and war breaks out (pleanty of krogan about to overpopulate earth with krogan babies).

But it's EA so naturally I'm expecting them to churn out something :rolleyes:- it'll probably be a "it's 5000 years in the future and Shepards a legend and the mass relays are fixed and everythings back to normal (except we're part toaster) but now there is a new galactic terror."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

while EA have done a lot in the past to earn their incredible negative rep especially around their handling of their studios (rip westwood) I thought this console generation they earned some respect as they gave the studios some space to develop their new products (Mirror's Edge, Dead Space, Dragon's Age) and in the few cases of two brands going against each other they clearly gave Harmonix much more freedom and control with Rock Band then Activision gave the Guitar Hero brand.

I'm not saying EA dont have a bad case of sequelitis, they do but that's par for the industry a this stage and to be fair they do it when they see demand for it (dead space, rock band & obviously all the bioware titles). I'm also not saying they are brilliantly original as publishers, I am saying that when they've reversed a very worrying trend they had developed during the last two generations of crushing the identity of developers to now seemingly giving them a fair bit of freedom then I'm more willing to give them some slack. Especially in comparison to Activision who started as a *developers* publisher when it was originally founded and has now seem to have done a 180 on that philosophy.

You just got to look at activision's wiki page and how many of their developer teams are now working on call of duty (treyarch, Sledgehammer games, infinity ward, Demonware, neversoft) to see that EA have been a fair bit better this generation then they could be.

• Advertisement

bubblefett wrote: »
    I don't see how they can possibly make another game in the mass effect universe after destroying all the relays.
    Unless they go with the angle that now, cause everyone's stuck in the sol system, lets see how fast famine, disease and war breaks out (pleanty of krogan about to overpopulate earth with krogan babies).

But it's EA so naturally I'm expecting them to churn out something :rolleyes:- it'll probably be a "it's 5000 years in the future and Shepards a legend and the mass relays are fixed and everythings back to normal (except we're part toaster) but now there is a new galactic terror."
    If they were going to set it it would be before ME1 and after humans make contact. I can't see it been sey after ME3 as they were too many different future that could be made

Advertisement