Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,052 ✭✭✭gazzer

Are there other countries in Europe who pay a property tax and who would have paid Stamp Duty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Read the bloody post. I said I did it without grants. All paid by me :rolleyes:

Exactly, so why are you moaning about it? Its your choice entirely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    The UK?
    They don't have property tax, they have a council tax.

Deleted my post, I thought I was posting in the politics section.

I'll leave you to it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

BostonB wrote: »
    Pedantic maybe, but as such motor tax may not get spent solely on local roads.

Where did I say it would get spent solely on Local Roads, I have in fact said the complete opposite, I said it gets reallocated as part of the Local Government Fund and the LGF is used to fund local services. Never once have I said it is used solely for Local Roads.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

donalg1 wrote: »
    Where did I say it would get spent solely on Local Roads, I have in fact said the complete opposite, I said it gets reallocated as part of the Local Government Fund and the LGF is used to fund local services. Never once have I said it is used solely for Local Roads.:confused:

You didn't. Sorry my bad. Speeding reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Read the bloody post. I said I did it without grants. All paid by me :rolleyes:
    Third level education is highly subsidised in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭angry kitten

What annoys me is that somebody living in an expensive property on an unfinished estate will be exempt as will people in council housing and on rent allowance. Now I know of plenty of people who were given council housing, whose financial circumstances changed for the better and yet they still have their council houses. I'm sick and tired of seeing this type of thing. Perhaps we wouldn't need this tax if there were actually regular reviews of entitlement to benefits. If somebody can afford to pay market value rent they should do so. It might also solve the problem with the shortage of council properties available to those who genuinely need them. I don't incidently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,052 ✭✭✭gazzer

Why the hell is it being called a household or property tax anyway? Phil Hogan was on radio a couple of weeks ago and when questioned as to why people who pay management fees (and who already pay for the upkeep of the area they live in) have to pay this new tax he said that it is to pay for libraries and playgrounds :confused:

So in Phil Hogans world if you dont live in a managed estate you are paying the tax for the upkeep of your area but if you pay management fees you are paying the tax for the abundance of libraries and playgrounds in your area.

So if this is the case and the money is for that why is it not called a council tax or a "Depending on what kind of area you live in it is an upkeep of your estate charge or an upkeep of your nearest football pitch charge"?

Why should a person who is living in a managed estate and has to fork out the guts of €1000 a year have to fork out more money on a 'property tax' that will not be of any benefit to them apart from the bankers?

I would be inclined to pay it if the money was going to go directly to the council and they had to publish exactly where the money was going to the last cent but the way it is being operated the money goes to a central fund and then divied out to councils. The money that used to go to the councils is now been redirected to pay off bondholders. You couldnt make it up.

You also have people who paid tens of thousands in stamp duty but still are expected to pay out even more.

Sometimes you have to say enough is enough and make a stand. There isnt a chance in hell I am paying this charge. IF down the line I am FORCED to pay it well so be it but until then I am not budging on the issue.

gazzer wrote: »
    You also have people who paid tens of thousands in stamp duty but still are expected to pay out even more.

Sounds to me 100 quid is small change to this bunch.

• Advertisement

gurramok wrote: »
    Sounds to me 100 quid is small change to this bunch.
    You've heard of 100% mortgage right? Or credit union loans to cover stamp duty? Or savings?

smash wrote: »
    You've heard of 100% mortgage right? Or credit union loans to cover stamp duty? Or savings?

Yes. Who forced people to borrow? Remind us.

Yes. Who forced people to borrow? Remind us.
    Point being? Don't change your argument. You said "Sounds to me 100 quid is small change to this bunch". It wasn't.

smash wrote: »
    Point being? Don't change your argument. You said "Sounds to me 100 quid is small change to this bunch". It wasn't.

Yes it was. Simple maths, paying thousands in stamp duty and paying 100quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Snazzy_Chazzy

if we dont pay it.... aint they just gonna hit us somewhere else? No matter what happens........they will get their money allbeit one tax or another

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

if we dont pay it.... aint they just gonna hit us somewhere else? No matter what happens........they will get their money allbeit one tax or another

That may well be so but we shouldnt just bend over and let our government shaft us to pay back debts that aren't ours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Downlinz

rasper wrote: »
    That may well be so but we shouldnt just bend over and let our government shaft us to pay back debts that aren't ours

The debts are as much ours as the income pumped into education, health, public services etc. Perhaps you don't want to use those either?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I don't care what else they add it on to as long as my "already paid for" home is secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,508 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Exactly, so why are you moaning about it? Its your choice entirely.

Who is moaning about educating their children ?
    I am moaning about paying for the gamblers, speculators and banking debts of others. I won't be paying a Household Tax.

Who is moaning about educating their children ?
    I am moaning about paying for the gamblers, speculators and banking debts of others. I won't be paying a Household Tax.

You gave a reason that you could not afford it due to zero net income per month, your choice of expense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,508 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

You gave a reason that you could not afford it due to zero net income per month, your choice of expense.

Now you are just acting the goat. Cop on man.
    I hope you pay it and refuse to educate your children.

Hot off the presses from the government mouthpiece.....
    More than 85% of households have not paid the household charge with just over two and a half weeks to go before the deadline.

So far just over 224,000 households have paid the charge - just 14% of the 1.6m households thought to be liable.

The Local Government Management Association is responsible for collecting payments.
    Today it met with the ESB electricity network to discuss how they can share information in order to track down those who do not pay.
    The Data Protection Commissioner says its awaiting a response from the parties as to how they will do this within their code of practise.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0313/household.html

14% paid with just over two and a half weeks to go.
    My 25% prediction is still looking healthy.

Ps. RTE, it's "code of practice" not "code of practise".
    Stop wasting money on Craig Doyle and Tubridy and spend it instead on a few proof readers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 haggis10000

Why would I hand over 100 after PAYE yo yo's for nothing. That would buy me some nice groceries, maybe a nice evening out. To fund a hole on the balance sheet put there by our elected representatives incompetence. And it still goes on. Y'know that metal ball structure on the N7 heading past the Clondalkin and before the turn off for Citywest.. It went up in the last days of 2011.. (No doubt to use up the SDCC Council budget, so they can pad it again this year). It's metal, it's ugly, it lights up at night.. It has no purpose from what I can tell other than it is "art".. roadside art... whack bang in the middle of this recession/ depression/ mass emigration.. and it cost over $130K... for some fool to get a photo op and cut a ribbon.. How many playgrounds would that pay for.. Why would I hand over $100 to the faceless ones.. when that sort of S^&*e goes on.. tell me.. why..

Now you are just acting the goat. Cop on man.
    I hope you pay it and refuse to educate your children.

What? You're cop out is that you're broke from funding your 5 kids through 3rd level(despite grants being available). You could afford that no problem yet will not pay 100 quid!

What? You're cop out is that you're broke from funding your 5 kids through 3rd level(despite grants being available). You could afford that no problem yet will not pay 100 quid!

*robotic voice*
    "Not just 100 quid............. use the foresight Luke"

mikom wrote: »
    *robotic voice*
    "Not just 100 quid............. use the foresight Luke"

Its 100quid in 2012. What happens in 2013 is irrelevant as we're not discussing a higher sum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Its 100quid in 2012. What happens in 2013 is irrelevant as we're not discussing a higher sum.

You made plenty of comparisons between this €100 and past years stamp duty yourself though, when that suited you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Anyone who doesn't pay up is going to force the govt to borrow more money, causing schools, hospitals, and garda stations to close. Anyone who refuses to pay will contribute to the increased suffering of their fellow countrymen, in my book.

And calling people "sheep" and "government shills" really isn't going to help your cause or win anyone over.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    You made plenty of comparisons between this €100 and past years stamp duty yourself though, when that suited you.

Thats when people put out the line "'i've already paid thousands in stamp duty", proof is there they can afford 100quid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Anyone who doesn't pay up is going to force the govt to borrow more money, causing schools, hospitals, and garda stations to close. Anyone who refuses to pay will contribute to the increased suffering of their fellow countrymen, in my book.

Not all countrymen will have to contribute to this tax though, only home owners.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement