Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada: Immigration Advice

Options
  • 06-03-2012 7:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

I was directed to this site by one of my clients in Ireland. I started reading through and saw that some of you really need some correct information about immigration rules and procedures for Canada. I'm a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant and thought I would start this thread to answer some questions. I read the forum rules and will abide by their rules about not selling services or advertising my company. However, that leaves me at a disadvantage because I cannot give you my name so that you can verify my credentials. It's a pickle. However, everything I will tell you will be backed up by the Canadian laws governing Immigration programs. Information is also available on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website located at www.cic.gc.ca so you can verify for yourself every piece of advice I give.

Really, I just want to volunteer to answer questions about the process of immigrating to Canada. The rules are tricky and the red tape is vast. I know most of you are interested in jobs. So let me start by giving you some good Canadian websites.

www.jobbank.gc.ca
    www.monster.ca
    www.hcareers.ca
    www.workopolis.com
    www.cooljobscanada.com

These are reputable job websites that are free to job seekers. Craig's List and Kijiji are also popular but because they are free posting sites for employers without any real oversight, there are PLENTY of scams on them. So BE CAREFUL. DO NOT send anyone money to find you a job! That is illegal in Canada.

So ask away. I'll try to come into this forum at least once a day to answer questions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

Hey, If you get a chance can you advise on the post i made recently?

Found here; http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056568969

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭rjessome

NoelAPM wrote: »
    Hey, If you get a chance can you advise on the post i made recently?

Found here; http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056568969

Hi,

You have two questions.

1. Do you send the fee payment with the application?
    NO. When applying for the IEC program through the Canadian High Commission in London, there are 2 steps to the process. First, you must be accepted into the IEC program. If you receive an email of acceptance, THEN you pay the application fee. The email will contain the instructions.
    The good news is that this fee will be refunded if your work permit application is not approved. The instruction guide you were reading was for the 2nd set of documents that you only submit AFTER you have been accepted into the program.

2. What proof should you provide to show you have legal status in Australia?
    As I am unfamiliar with Australian immigration procedures I can only compare it to what would be appropriate for Canada. When you arrived in AUS, did you receive a work permit or a special visa or stamp in your passport that indicated your status under the Working Holiday Visa program? If yes, a copy of any document or stamp pertaining to this is what you should include to prove your legal status in AUS.

I hope that helps.

rjessome

Thank you. Much appreciated!

Required Documents

Set 1 – to be reviewed by the IEC section
    Set 2 – to be reviewed by the Visa Section
    The Application Package that you send to The High Commission of Canada to the UK in London consists of two sets of documents that have to be submitted together.

It does say you submit them together tho..

Thank you. Much appreciated!

Required Documents

Set 1 – to be reviewed by the IEC section
    Set 2 – to be reviewed by the Visa Section
    The Application Package that you send to The High Commission of Canada to the UK in London consists of two sets of documents that have to be submitted together.

It does say you submit them together tho..

Yes, you are right. So much for my first answer! I have to be honest, IEC is something I normally encourage applicants to do themselves, without hiring me. It's pretty straight forward and easy. 99% of my work is the more complicated stuff of permanent residency and dealing with inadmissibility issues.
    :D
    But I was right about the fee. You only pay it after you receive the email that you've been accepted.

The IEC charges a Participation Fee of $150 CDN (about £90), but you will now pay this fee by electronic bank transfer to the Government of Canada only after you have been notified by email that your application has been accepted.

Yea it is straight forward. But the website Definitely has conflicting info.

Thanks for your time. Hopefully ill be arranging Permanent residency with you in the near future.

• Advertisement

Yea it is straight forward. But the website Definitely has conflicting info.

Thanks for your time. Hopefully ill be arranging Permanent residency with you in the near future.

I know it's confusing sometimes. I spend a great deal of time at the beginning of every application just educating clients about what this stuff means. The language is ambiguous and their intentions are not always clear.

You're welcome. Good luck in Canada. I hope you like it here!

And just a final piece of advice. Pay attention to the skill level of any job you get here. The higher the skill level, the more options available to apply for permanent residency to Canada. There are also several different provincial programs available depending upon which province you settle in. And the best opportunities are available in British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba and Saskatchewan at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 123bar56

hi travelling to canada 1st of June however i may not have my working visa on time.Is flagpoling the best way to get around this ie enter canada on a holiday visa and once you receive working visa cross boarder into USA then come immediately back thus activating your working visa.Is this method accepted or can it cause you some trouble.thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Niamh84

Hi really appreciate you giving the time to give advice so I dont want to ask too many questions. Myself and my boyfriend are currently in Toronto and applying for second year IEC. But we want to apply for permanent residency in the near future. Ive been looking at both the skilled worker visa and provincial nominee programme. We are both working in administrative jobs. Is it going to be mandatory to get sponsored by an employer for either programme? Are you then locked into that particular job? Im hoping if one of us can get sponsored the other can apply as common law partner. Thanks in advance. I know its probably a detailed question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

What are the odds of getting an LMO in Canada once the IEC expires if you don't have a trade but a degree only? Is it a lot of hassle/expense for employers involved? From what I can gather, most of the 'professional' type jobs are based in Toronto, there seems to no jobs for marketing/business jobs in Calgary/Edmonton/Ottawa or even Saskatoon.

Thanks for answering the questions, no harm in a bit of free advertising if you're giving something for nothing either ;)

123bar56 wrote: »
    hi travelling to canada 1st of June however i may not have my working visa on time.Is flagpoling the best way to get around this ie enter canada on a holiday visa and once you receive working visa cross boarder into USA then come immediately back thus activating your working visa.Is this method accepted or can it cause you some trouble.thanks in advance

Are you applying in the IEC program or for a regular work permit? In either case, yes, "flagpoling" should work for you. The only danger would be if you had an outstanding warrant in the US because they will look you up on their system. I'm assuming that's not going to be an issue. Just ensure you have the proper documents with you for your program when you flagpole.

The safest bet (and I like to be cautious) is to wait until you have the necessary approvals before entering Canada at all. When you enter as a visitor at the port of entry to Canada, the officer admitting you will ask about your intentions regarding your stay in Canada. If you advise them that you are waiting for approval of some type of work permit, they may limit your visitor permit giving you a time limit to get it done. You can't lie to them because they have access to the same system as the overseas missions and can see that you have an application in process. If you do lie to them they could determine that you have misrepresented yourself and then bar you from entering Canada for up to two years, putting you back on plane home. That's pretty extreme but it would be easier if you just had all of your documents with you at the time of your first entry.

Hope that helps.

rjessome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

when going throught the IEC, do you have to have the 2500 dollars in your bank account at the time you apply or just once you're accepted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 conall.doherty

How long does it usually take from sending off your forms to getting your visa, assuming no problems along the way?

When you get to the stage of payment does that mean your application has been accepted and you will get the visa? My friend has a prior misdemeanour on his criminal record so we are delaying booking flights until we get at least provisionally accepted. Lastly, does a minor criminal record affect your chances much?

thanks very much for taking the time to answer questions

Niamh84 wrote: »
    Hi really appreciate you giving the time to give advice so I dont want to ask too many questions. Myself and my boyfriend are currently in Toronto and applying for second year IEC. But we want to apply for permanent residency in the near future. Ive been looking at both the skilled worker visa and provincial nominee programme. We are both working in administrative jobs. Is it going to be mandatory to get sponsored by an employer for either programme? Are you then locked into that particular job? Im hoping if one of us can get sponsored the other can apply as common law partner. Thanks in advance. I know its probably a detailed question.

Hi. Your situation does require a detailed response and full assessment. However, I will try to answer as best I can using the general rules. The provincial nominee program DOES require the support of the employer. However, I would be concerned about exactly what positions you are working in as you only describe them as administrative. To be eligible for a PNP (provincial nominee program) your job must be in a skill level 0, A or B as defined by Service Canada's skills Matrix. These generally mean jobs requiring technical/academic education (degree or trade) or training or must be in a supervisory/management role. You also must have a minimum of two years experience in the same position to be eligible to apply in the PNP. The purpose of the PNPs in various provinces is so that the regional government can have a say in the immigration mix, supporting the permanent residence of applicants who bring needed skills and experience. In the General or Strategic Occupation streams the application requires employer support. So YES, the person sponsored by the employer would be required to stay with that employer at least until they become a permanent resident of Canada.

Some provinces have programs that accept people working in lower skilled positions. BUT you would need to be working in those provinces for a minimum amount of time before being eligible to apply. Each program is different because it depends on the needs of that particular province. Google any provinces name along with "Provincial Nominee Program" and you can read about the requirements of each. The beauty of the PNPs is that you are able to extend your work permits to remain working in Canada until permanent residence is approved. That means you bypass Service Canada and the labour market opinion (LMO) process. It's also a direct path to permanent residence and the assessment factors at the federal level are different from that of a regular skilled worker. The downside is they are BIG applications that can be expensive depending upon whether a province charges an application fee and the work required to complete a solid application.

Other options may also be available under the Federal Skilled Worker program but it depends on your backgrounds and whether or not an employer is willing to offer a permanent position in a SKILLED position. A points assessment is involved with a minimum passmark. However, this program does NOT allow you to extend your work permits to remain in Canada until processing is complete. The employer would have to go through the LMO process with Service Canada. And that does tie you to one employer as well.

If permanent residence to Canada is the goal you must do some strategic planning. PNP is wonderful. Really, it is the BEST way to apply if it is available to you. Yes, you may have to commit to an employer for a couple of years BUT you have to look at the end goal. My advice would be to research various PNPs. You may even have to move to a province that has better programs. But keep the end goal in mind.

Hope that helps.

rjessome

token101 wrote: »
    What are the odds of getting an LMO in Canada once the IEC expires if you don't have a trade but a degree only? Is it a lot of hassle/expense for employers involved? From what I can gather, most of the 'professional' type jobs are based in Toronto, there seems to no jobs for marketing/business jobs in Calgary/Edmonton/Ottawa or even Saskatoon.

Thanks for answering the questions, no harm in a bit of free advertising if you're giving something for nothing either ;)

Hi. This is a question I get asked all the time. But put the focus on yourself, your skills and abilities. The wonderful thing about IEC is it gives you a chance to PROVE your worth to employers. It's an open permit so you are free to find a job and employer that suits you. You are also free to be promoted and moved around within a company. Employers are often intimidated by the LMO process especially for untested workers. BUT what I see is that once they "fall in love" with an employee who has shown their worth, they will bend over backwards to keep them, including doing LMOs, PNPs, etc. So look at it like YOUR opportunity to show them how valuable you are to their business. No company wants to lose a key employee.

All the professional jobs are NOT in Toronto! While it is Canada's largest city it is by no means the only place to find professional employment! Cities all across Canada employ professionals and there are plenty of opportunities in ANY Canadian city. Think about it. All companies, no matter what their end product or service, require skilled administrative, financial and sales management. Sorry but I get really annoyed when I hear people say "all the jobs are in Toronto". Cities like Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, etc. ALSO need professionals.

Hope that helps.

rjessome

krudler wrote: »
    when going throught the IEC, do you have to have the 2500 dollars in your bank account at the time you apply or just once you're accepted?

Hi,

You must show the funds at the time of entry to Canada. From the IEC-UK instructions:

On your arrival in Canada, you must have a statement from your bank account that must have been issued no more than one (1) week before your departure for Canada. It must clearly demonstrate you have sufficient funds in your account to support yourself financially for the first three months of your stay in Canada (C$2,500).

rjessome

• Registered Users Posts: 14,010 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

token101 wrote: »

In my experience, difficult if you are working for a large company. Its the whole 'prove there isnt a canadian who can do the same job as you' argument. Depending on your skill level & experience, you might be fine, but for most people working for large companies, there is no chance (myself included: I work for one of the big banks) - easier to get a canadian in than go through all the paperwork.
    I think if you're working with a smaller employer, and are on more personal terms with the owner/managers, you'd have a far better chance. I know a coupld of people who are getting their boss to sort out the LMO for them in a roundabout way.

How long does it usually take from sending off your forms to getting your visa, assuming no problems along the way?

When you get to the stage of payment does that mean your application has been accepted and you will get the visa? My friend has a prior misdemeanour on his criminal record so we are delaying booking flights until we get at least provisionally accepted. Lastly, does a minor criminal record affect your chances much?

thanks very much for taking the time to answer questions

Processing times for applications are one of the most difficult things to predict and vary depending upon the type of permit you are applying for. Your best source of information for this the embassy/visa office website. The High Commission website says the following:

International Experience Canada (working holiday)
    • Two (2) weeks from the date it is received at the IEC Team at the High Commission of Canada to the United Kingdom plus six (6) weeks from the date it is received at the Visa Section at the High Commission.
    With respect to your question regarding the criminal offence, that is subject to a comparision with the Criminal Code of Canada. We do not have "misdemeanor" offences in Canada. All offences are classified as Summary, Hybrid or Indictable. Summary are less serious offences and Indictable are very serious offences. Hybrid means that they can be prosecuted by the courts either as Summary or Indictable. For the purposes of Immigration, all Hybrid offences are considered Indictable (serious).

Criminal inadmissibility to Canada is complicated and a number of factors must be considered. The first is as I already stated, what would be the comparable offence to the Criminal Code of Canada. The second would be when was the SENTENCE for the conviction completed. The third would be how much time has passed since the SENTENCE was completed.

In general, if the offence is considered Indictable when comparing it to the Criminal Code of Canada, the person is inadmissible and cannot enter Canada until a prescribed period has passed and the applicant has applied or been determined to be Rehabilitated under the Immigration and Reguee Protection Act and Regulations.

Unfortunately I cannot do an assessment of criminality on an internet forum. Too much personal detail is required. But I can tell you this. Drinking and Driving (DUI) or (DWI) is an Indictable offence in Canada and will make a person criminally inadmissible.

Hope that helps.

rjessome

retalivity wrote: »
    In my experience, difficult if you are working for a large company. Its the whole 'prove there isnt a canadian who can do the same job as you' argument. Depending on your skill level & experience, you might be fine, but for most people working for large companies, there is no chance (myself included: I work for one of the banks) - easier to get a canadian in than go through all the paperwork.
    I think if you're working with a smaller employer, and are on more personal terms with the owner/managers, you'd have a far better chance. I know a coupld of people who are getting their boss to sort out the LMO for them in a roundabout way.

True! And to add to this, SMALLER cities/towns struggle more with attracting Canadians. You have to be strategic in your thinking and planning. Every town in Canada has a bank. But that doesn't mean that there are plenty of QUALIFIED Canadians in every town willing to work at them. Success in immigration is all about long term planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Hi rjessome, thanks for taking the time out to do this. Im in the last year of my apprenticeship as an industrial electrician. Im finished in December and im hoping to travel to canada in ealry 2013 (earlier the better). My question is could I apply for an IEC visa now and then travel in December or is there a certain time limit to when you must use the visa by. Also is this the best visa for me to apply for or should I go for the skilled worker visa. Cheers

m.j.w wrote: »
    Hi rjessome, thanks for taking the time out to do this. Im in the last year of my apprenticeship as an industrial electrician. Im finished in December and im hoping to travel to canada in ealry 2013 (earlier the better). My question is could I apply for an IEC visa now and then travel in December or is there a certain time limit to when you must use the visa by. Also is this the best visa for me to apply for or should I go for the skilled worker visa. Cheers

You can apply for the IEC now. They typically give you one year from the date of approval to travel. If you meet the requirements of the IEC, I might apply for that. Who knows if you will like it in Canada? You might not! Test the waters first if you can, find an employer willing to sponsor you through a PNP or with Arranged Employment Opinion (AEO). That will support any permanent residence application. And IEC permits are OPEN meaning you can work for whomever you want wherever you want. LMO based work permits (skilled or not) are CLOSED meaning you can only work for 1 employer at their location as approved.

Just want to clarify some terms. VISA is a travel document required to enter Canada. Citizens of Ireland (and the UK) are visa exempt, meaning that they do not require this travel document to board a plane and enter Canada. What you are issued when you arrive in Canada is a PERMIT (study, work, visit). So the VISA allows you to enter (if you need one) and the PERMIT says what you can do when you get here. Citizens of Ireland and the UK are applying for PERMITS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Dub-girl88

At the moment I'm in Australia on a one year working holiday visa. It says when applying for a working holiday visa to Canada that you must have lived in Ireland for the past 3 years. Does this mean I wont get the visa?

Dub-girl88 wrote: »
    At the moment I'm in Australia on a one year working holiday visa. It says when applying for a working holiday visa to Canada that you must have lived in Ireland for the past 3 years. Does this mean I wont get the visa?

No. Read the frequently asked questions regarding the IEC program.

Residency Requirements
    What does “3 years habitual residency requirement” mean?
    This means that that a candidate’s habitual residence (i.e. physically residing/living) must be in the UK for a period of at least three years full-time directly prior to applying to the IEC. An exception can be made if the candidate has temporarily resided in a foreign country for studies or short-term work, but the time spent outside the UK must not exceed 18 months cumulative over the three previous years.

rjessome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Dub-girl88

Ok thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Niamh84

Thanks for the advice. Appreciate it. Will definately have to look at the programmes in more detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Johnboat

A question is asked when applying for W H V have you ever been refused entry of had visa canceled for any other countries
    I have been refused entry and had a holiday visa canceled on grounds of suspicion of working while on a tourist visa in Australia. If i answer truthfully will this ruin my chances of obtaining a WHV for canada or further down the line if i try to extend my stay there?

very grateful for help on this
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭GamesDontSuck

Hi guys,
    Didnt want to start a new thread as my question is advice about getting a job in Canada. So why not ask here :)

I am late 20's and just a regular joe. No college. No trade. No skills. Just the "other guy" I guess. Whats my chances of getting a job in Canada?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Hey rjessome, Great service and thanks for answering our questions. Hopefully mine is pretty straightforward.

Me and my girlfriend and our 2 year old son are planning on going to canada maybe early next year. I'm just wondering will we have a problem applying for our IEC visa with our son? Will he require a separate visa? Or will he go under ours?

Also can you apply for a second year IEC visa when your first year is up? We are planning on doing this and then hopefully trying to gain PR through the PNP at some stage during our second year.

Thanks.

baraca wrote: »
    Hey rjessome, Great service and thanks for answering our questions. Hopefully mine is pretty straightforward.

Me and my girlfriend and our 2 year old son are planning on going to canada maybe early next year. I'm just wondering will we have a problem applying for our IEC visa with our son? Will he require a separate visa? Or will he go under ours?

Also can you apply for a second year IEC visa when your first year is up? We are planning on doing this and then hopefully trying to gain PR through the PNP at some stage during our second year.

Thanks.

the International Experience Canada Program is not a visa application, its an application for a 1 year working permit. So, and I stand to be corrected, your son will not be required to have a 'Visa', you will have to say your son is accompanying you in your IEC application tho, and I'm not sure how that will affect you.

You can apply for a second year as long as you have not been out of Ireland for more than 18 months in the last 3 years prior to your 2nd application.

Johnboat wrote: »
    A question is asked when applying for W H V have you ever been refused entry of had visa canceled for any other countries
    I have been refused entry and had a holiday visa canceled on grounds of suspicion of working while on a tourist visa in Australia. If i answer truthfully will this ruin my chances of obtaining a WHV for canada or further down the line if i try to extend my stay there?

very grateful for help on this
    thanks

You must answer all of the questions honestly. Let me say that first because if you don't you will be guilty of misrepresentation and that will bar you from entering Canada for two years.

Whether or not it will result in a refusal of the IEC permit depends on the circumstances. DID you actually work without the proper permit in Australia? With immigration it is all about maintaining the integrity of the system. Credibility is a factor that is considered. Being honest and upfront about any past difficulties you have had can work in your favour because it shows Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) that you are an honest person and that counts! I cannot say for sure whether it will negatively impact your ability to get an IEC permit as I won't be the person assessing your application. But I would provide an explanation of what happened and if you did do something wrong, apologize for it and state you will never do it again. If you lie to them and they find out on their own, any hope you have of ever permanently immigrating to Canada will be lost. Canada shares certain information pertaining to immigration with Australia, NZ, UK, USA, and a few other countries. So don't think that they can never find out if they check.

Honesty is the best policy. Hope that helps.

rjessome

• Advertisement

Hi guys,
    Didnt want to start a new thread as my question is advice about getting a job in Canada. So why not ask here :)

I am late 20's and just a regular joe. No college. No trade. No skills. Just the "other guy" I guess. Whats my chances of getting a job in Canada?

You state that you have no skills. Does that mean you have never worked at anything? Come on. Employers here are no different than employers in Ireland. They look for at least some experience and a positive attitude. If you don't have that, then your chances are almost nil of getting a job in Canada.

rjessome

Advertisement