Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Avengers (2012) *spoilers from post 1181*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Hey, you leave Diana Rigg and Honor Blackman alone!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Penn wrote: »
    Well same thing, would you see a film called "The Dark Knight" or a film called "The Caped Crusader"?

To me, it matters f*ck all when all is said and done. I'll always refer to it as The Avengers, and to me it always will be The Avengers. But 'Avengers Assemble" is a sh*tty name for film and the reasons behind the name change and the fact that it's only being changed here and the UK is just ridiculous. Nobody even remembers or cares about the other Avengers sh*te.

lol, but it's not! It's the difference between the word "x" and the words "xy", when y is a word which is already intimately associated with X, to the point were the fanboys are generally excited when they hear them together.

Your comparison is betwen "XY" and "ABC". Can you not see my point? Peope are getting upset over the adding of one word to the name of a film. It's silly.

People of the age 40 and up would know the TV Avengers before the comic book ones btw. It's considered a cult classic, much in the way the Prisoner is. Even I know Emma Peel is supposed to be the ultimate slamming hotty :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Overheal wrote: »
    That said, Harry Potter and the Sorcerors Stone... they even went as far as re-shooting any of the dialog that mentions the stone to match.

Was that not to do with a percentage of the American public not having a bloody clue as to what a philosopher was?
    Which film would you rather ask for a ticket for? "The Dark Knight Rises" or "The Caped Crusader goes up"

Just say 'One for Avengers please' when buying your ticket.
    Or you could be theatrical and slam your tenner on the counter before yelling, "Avengers Assemble!!!"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

krudler wrote: »
    it is stupid, I doubt anyone is going to see "The Avengers" listed on the cinema guide and think "ooooh, they remade the 60s tv show that nobody remembers" or a sh1tty movie from nearly 15 years ago, given that every Marvel character in it had "...will return in The Avengers" at the end credits. Hollywood, y u no trust audience intelligence!
    If there's one thing hollywood has done more of than comic book movies, it's movie remakes of 60s TV shows that no one remembers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Galvasean wrote: »
    Was that not to do with a percentage of the American public not having a bloody clue as to what a philosopher was?

Or you could be theatrical and slam your tenner on the counter before yelling, "Avengers Assemble!!!"
    This idea....I love

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,144 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

You may have just justified the name change.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

Everything went downhill when
    The Rigg went OHMSS escaping HIS
    AVENGERS roots... :(

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Which film would you rather ask for a ticket for? "The Dark Knight Rises" or "The Caped Crusader goes up"

As an aside, I think "The Dark Knight Rises" is a shite name.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,672 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

That's cold, man :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

lol, but it's not! It's the difference between the word "x" and the words "xy", when y is a word which is already intimately associated with X, to the point were the fanboys are generally excited when they hear them together.

Your comparison is betwen "XY" and "ABC". Can you not see my point? Peope are getting upset over the adding of one word to the name of a film. It's silly.

People of the age 40 and up would know the TV Avengers before the comic book ones btw. It's considered a cult classic, much in the way the Prisoner is. Even I know Emma Peel is supposed to be the ultimate slamming hotty :D

Comic version was in the mainstream since 1963. UK tv series came out in 1961 and only took off in 1962/63. So it is debatable which would be better known by people over 40 tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Just saw that it's available on Netflix. Will check it out over the weekend!
    And I'm enjoying it so far! About 9 episodes in I think... Good voice work (Stark sounds very RDJ-esque) and some of the banter is genuinely funny, especially from Hulk and Wasp. Will have a looksee for the season 2 DVD online (not available on Netflix yet).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

And I'm enjoying it so far! About 9 episodes in I think... Good voice work (Stark sounds very RDJ-esque) and some of the banter is genuinely funny, especially from Hulk and Wasp. Will have a looksee for the season 2 DVD online (not available on Netflix yet).

Season 2 hasn't aired yet AFAIK.

Colmo52 wrote: »
    Season 2 hasn't aired yet AFAIK.
    My mistake. Thought Netflix had season one down as being from 2009 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Overheal wrote: »
    That's cold, man :(

true though.

they should remake it and call it Harry Potter and the Philosoraptor's Stone

tumblr_lqxipkef221qeyljto1_500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

Does Ireland get the crappy retarded UK title?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,144 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

WatchWolf wrote: »

Most likely, sure the studios probably think we are the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

what about if they make a sequel? Avengers Reassembled? Avengers Reconvene At A Later Date?

krudler wrote: »
    what about if they make a sequel? Avengers Reassembled? Avengers Reconvene At A Later Date?

Avengers AGM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Avengers AGM.

Avengers First Annual AGM

"Avenged Secondfold"

• Advertisement

I don't get all the complaints over the title change. Sure it's not ideal and sounds a little stupid but remember that we live in a world where morons can sue the makes of Drive because the film she saw was nothing like the Fast and the Furious. We all know that was the film to remain titled the Avengers there would be at least one moron who went to see it expecting John Steed and Emma Peel and when they got Marvel's Avengers they'd be writing to newspapers to express their distaste.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

We're pretty much regarded as one and the same, I'm fairly certain I saw an Assemble poster earlier.

I don't get all the complaints over the title change. Sure it's not ideal and sounds a little stupid but remember that we live in a world where morons can sue the makes of Drive because the film she saw was nothing like the Fast and the Furious. We all know that was the film to remain titled the Avengers there would be at least one moron who went to see it expecting John Steed and Emma Peel and when they got Marvel's Avengers they'd be writing to newspapers to express their distaste.

did someone actually sue Drive because of that ...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/celebritology/post/the-drive-lawsuit-finally-a-case-that-encourages-suing-over-misleading-movie-trailers/2011/10/10/gIQAEF1YaL_blog.html
    She claims that the trailer for the film misled the public by implying that “Drive” would be a joy ride a la “The Fast and the Furious.” Instead, as court documents note, Deming discovered that there is “very little driving in the motion picture.” The suit also suggests that the movie is filled with anti-Semitism.

It's like trying to sue "Monsters" for there not being a lot of monsters in it. The mind genuinely boggles.

It's like trying to sue "Monsters" for there not being a lot of monsters in it. The mind genuinely boggles.

Never underestimate the stupidity of the average person.

While I can understand where she was coming from, (the trailer does make it look like an action packed thrill ride) you have to wonder how she justified a law suit over the 10 dollars that the ticket cost her. Hell if I could sue every film maker whose film was different than the trailer which sold it I'd be a millionaire at this stage.

I sued the makers of Drive cos I thought I was gonna see a film about golf.

I also sued the makers of Jumper cos most people in the film wore jackets.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

I also sued the makers of Jumper cos most people in the film wore jackets.

Did you also sue the makers of The Dark Knight because you thought it was about Martin Luther King?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

The name change however does make it correspond to this
    NOV111942.jpg

which will probably result in some people expecting the film to mirror that storyline...sigh

Advertisement