Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

15 year old boy who had consensual sex with 14 year old girl faces 5 years in prison

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

If he gets it to a European Court he'll win it. Excellent example of when the justice system exists to serve itself and the people who work in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

To ecj or whatever, we go.

Usual thing of the justice system existing to serve itself. How much was spent on the legislation brought in in 2006 on people who are trained and know well that this is incompatible with European law? So far there's been two cases and more money spent and there should be another one all to change something that shouldn't have happened in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mcspongeicus

Nodin wrote: »
    Should anyone be fucking prosecuted in this instance is the more relevant question....

No, probably not. The legal age and its application shoud surely be there to prevent adults engaging in sex with minors and prosecute those who do.....But in the case of two 14 or 15 year olds, even though its frowned upon in society, surely there should be some leniency against an actual prosecution. I wonder was it the girls parents who pushed this case, how does she feel about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

amacachi wrote: »
    If he gets it to a European Court he'll win it. Excellent example of when the justice system exists to serve itself and the people who work in it.

Yeha but he shouldn't have to. We should be able to fix things in our country without Europe telling us how ****ing retarded our laws are. FFS we are still in the ****ing dark ages in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I presume there is more to it than meets the eye but on the face of it the decision seems absolutely outrageous.

token101 wrote: »
    Yeha but he shouldn't have to. We should be able to fix things in our country without Europe telling us how ****ing retarded our laws are. FFS we are still in the ****ing dark ages in this country.

That's my bloody point. It's not about the dark ages or anything like that, it's the people working in the legal professions looking after themselves. Thousands of hours and millions of Euros will have been spent on drafting the legislation these charges were brought under when it's obvious they're incompatible with European law. The people drafting legislation get paid either way, may as well make a mess and their mates have jobs made for them.
    It's like the job creation thing of paying one person to dig a hole and another to fill it in. Nothing gets done but people get paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Children cannot have consensual sex I think according to Irish law.
    It's always "rape" even if both are in agreement.
    This is so that even if a boy/girl under a certain age agrees to sex they're not allowed.
    The law is there to protect the child from a persuasive much older peer or adult from grooming children for sex, just google "grooming gangs UK" - many cases ongoing there.

I agree that it's stupid that only one child is on trial and not the other.

As biggins said, I hope the lad takes the case to the European court of human rights and Irish lawmakers and judiciary are overruled, shamed and forced to fix this law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

If it was the other way around there would be uproar, stories like this make my blood boil, I know its off topic but its the same when a girl cries rape then gets found out for lying they just get off scot-free and that the end of it. Theres a lot of laws that need to be changed in this sh*thole of a country

• Advertisement

As biggins said, I hope the lad takes the case to the European court of human rights and Irish lawmakers and judiciary are overruled, shamed and forced to fix this law.

Shame? Haha! Ya think they wouldn't have seen it coming at some point?

That's my bloody point. It's not about the dark ages or anything like that, it's the people working in the legal professions looking after themselves. Thousands of hours and millions of Euros will have been spent on drafting the legislation these charges were brought under when it's obvious they're incompatible with European law. The people drafting legislation get paid either way, may as well make a mess and their mates have jobs made for them.
    It's like the job creation thing of paying one person to dig a hole and another to fill it in. Nothing gets done but people get paid.

I don't think so. I'd say it's far more likely that the government don't want to alter this law for fear of upsetting certain parts of the electorate and incurring the backlash of a lot of the Luddites that live here. Either way it doesn't really matter, this lad has been dragged through this **** for no good reason. He can 'technically' get 5 years, yet the vermin who almost murdered a baby can only get 3? Our justice system is rotten to the core.

But like.....if it is so obvious to all of us ordinary civilians that this law is the very definition of sexual discrimination, how and why is it being upheld?? I just dont get it

They didn't do that with abortion. We seem to only adopt the **** EU directives.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

On the radio earlier it said the judges both agreed on it being because the girl can get pregnant.
    Both female judges too (on the original case and appeal)

Hmm, if so, then all they are doing is reciting and acting according to the law. They seem more constrained by it than opinion driven.

Or does anyone know if the Supreme Court would of been in a position to go against the law?

Edit:

Just read up on Judicial Review which is something our Supreme Court have. It's crazy that they didn't take this based on the chances of her getting pregnant.

But like.....if it is so obvious to all of us ordinary civilians that this law is the very definition of sexual discrimination, how and why is it being upheld?? I just dont get it

It's upheld because according to the legislation that was passed and our flaky history of legislation and rights in the constitution the judge gets to decide whether or not the law is ok. He/she could've ruled either way. He/she knows that if it goes to Europe that it'll be overturned anyway so why not make a little more work for the people he/she went to college with and their nieces and nephews who are working as interns etc. in other courts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

...going to stay out of this one, as I'm actually getting angry at the thought of the **** around that'll happen about this. Probably end up like the 1992 abortion thing. We have a political class of assholes, lads and lassies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Hmm, if so, then all they are doing is reciting and acting according to the law. They seem more constrained by it than opinion driven.

Or does anyone know if the Supreme Court would of been in a position to go against the law?

I'm no fancy big town lawyer *hooks thumbs into suspenders* but as far as I understand it's the SC's job to interpret challenged laws and bills and decide if they are in violation of the constitution or not. So in this instance they have decided that the law in question is in line with our current constitutional requirements. It is possible that they personally thought the law was a bunch of horse shit but unless they find that it violates an article of the constitution then they have to uphold it. Of course it's also possible that it was unclear constitutionally and a grey area and they just decided to come down on the side of this law rather than against.

So I guess everyone grab a broom. It's shenanigans referendum time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

So how would we go about getting this ridiculous law changed? I assume it's a matter for a referendum now, because of having to make changes to the constitution? I wonder is there enough momentum in this to push for a referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭frisbeeface

Brilliantly, under this law the girl COULD be prosecuted also if buggery occured, it's only intercourse which the girl has an exemption from.

Can't believe that this is from 2006 and upheld in 2012.

A good (and short) article about the high court judgment: http://www.extempore.ie/2011/04/15/md-a-minor-v-ireland-sex-equality-and-the-constitution/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

How many people here had sex before their 17th birthday?

If you accept Woody Allen's definition of masturbation as "sex with someone you love", then the answer to your question must be "a hell of a lot". Why, I needed glasses by the time I was barely 20.:):):)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

How many people here had sex before their 17th birthday?

With myself or a woman?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Well the issue that specifically needs to be addressed is:
    5.— A female child under the age of 17 years shall not be guilty of an offence under this Act by reason only of her engaging in an act of sexual intercourse.

Taken from here

It actually provides no reasoning behind it referencing the chance of pregnancy at all.

Don't get why the news articles published haven't quoted that piece directly either :confused:

Well the issue that specifically needs to be addressed is:

Taken from here

It actually provides no reasoning behind it referencing the chance of pregnancy at all.

Don't why the articles published haven't quoted that piece directly either :confused:

Seems to be pretty much what I said, they put in something stupid that they know will eventually be ruled against.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

So the Irish legal system considers pregnancy a punishment, charming.

This law is wrong, outdated and out moded, it is a disgrace it has been upheld.
    This needs to change and so does the law which states women can't rape men.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Stupid stupid law, judge judy would be spinning in her grave

Sharrow wrote: »
    So the Irish legal system considers pregnancy a punishment, charming.

And yet no abortions allowed for rape victims, bit of an anomaly there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Stupid stupid law, judge judy would be spinning in her grave

Judge Judy isn't dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

And yet no abortions allowed for rape victims, bit of an anomaly there.

Not really given the amount of victim blaming that gets done,
    The notion that female rape victims are to blame for being in the situation in the first place is in line with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Judge Judy isn't dead.

Just wait til she hears about this.............

Advertisement