Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FIREARMS LICENSING CASES BEFORE THE HIGH COURT

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

rowa wrote: »
    Probabily far too efficient a system to ever be deployed in ireland :rolleyes:.
    I doubt efficiency is the main concern of the AGS here - I suspect a strong aversion to risk and a reasonably unhealthy degree of believing in "what we have, we hold" are the main factors preventing such a system being tried or adopted here.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭richiedel123

I wish to confirm that the NARGC will host a meeting at 2pm sharp in the Mullingar Park Hotel, Mullingar on Sunday, February 19th 2012 for all those affected by the recent High Court settlement i.e.:-
    Is this only for the 160 odd people in the high court or can people in dc cases go also does any 1 no

It seems to say that anyone can go. Classes 2, 3 and 4 referred to in the invitation don't seem to be exclusively made up of clients of Egan&Associates.

From the NARGC website:
    BEHAVIOURS WHICH WILL NOT BE SUPPORTED BY NARGC.

We are often contacted by firearms licence holders to assist them with problems which have arisen and which have a bearing on their continued ability to possess their firearms licenses. In many instances we have been pleased to successfully assist such licence holders. But there are often some matters referred to us where we can be of no assistance whatsoever and where we would not wish to assist. It seems there is a presumption in some quarters that NARGC will defend everything irrespective of the issue. This is not the case. NARGC subscribes unequivocally to the upholding of the law to the letter and we expect everyone involved in shooting sports to do likewise, including the licensing authorities. There can be no compromise on this. We set out below the sins which every licence holder is aware of and for which there can be no excuses. Licence holders must take responsibility for their own actions and/or negligence. Misbehaviour affects all licence holders.
    1. Possession of a firearm without a certificate for that gun. This is an offence which every gun owner is aware of. Do not come to NARGC for assistance.
    2. Threatening or the alleged threatening of another person. This is an offence and it is not for NARGC to convince the authorities that no threat occurred. That is for the person involved. Do not come to NARGC for assistance.
    3. Gun stolen from an unattended vehicle. This has been highlighted so many times by both NARGC and the authorities. It can never be excused. Do not come to NARGC for assistance.
    4. Theft of guns or ammunition from an unoccupied house where the guns are not stored in a gun safe and/or where the keys to the safe are left available and/or where the doors of the house are not locked and/or where the alarm, if fitted, is not activated. Do not come to NARGC for assistance.
    5. Bringing a loaded firearm into a vehicle or dwelling. Do not come to NARGC for assistance.
    6. Licence holder charged with or convicted of substance abuse, including alcohol abuse (e.g. drink driving). Do not come to NARGC for assistance.
    7. Hunting on lands without the permission of the owner/occupier. Do not come to NARGC for assistance.
    8. Shooting from a vehicle. Do not come to NARGC for assistance.
    9. Shooting from a public road. Do not come to NARGC for assistance.
    10. Loaning a firearm to another. Do not come to NARGC for assistance.
    11. Any event, where you are blatantly in breach of the conditions which formed the basis of your having been granted a firearms certificate. Do not come to NARGC for assistance.
    12. Shooting recklessly or in such a manner as would reasonably give rise to concern by members of the public, landowners or other sports shooters. Do not come to the NARGC for assistance.

It's hard to take any issue with most of those; they're just common sense and we've all said so on here or out there over the past few decades at one time or another. One or two of those cases might well be argued to be completely possible to happen inadvertently to otherwise completely responsible firearms owners (though no doubt, they are far more likely to happen to irresponsible owners).

I'm just left a bit worried that the NARGC feels the need to set all this down in writing in public at this point. How many complaints of a dodgy nature do you need to get before you come up with an official public list of things they won't entertain as complaints? What the heck are the NARGC seeing coming in their doors at the moment?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Quote from NARGC website -

'NARGC subscribes unequivocally to the upholding of the law to the letter and we expect everyone involved in shooting sports to do likewise, including the licensing authorities. There can be no compromise on this.'

This is a particularly important comment at a time when two of the most senior officers of AGS have been shown to have significantly altered a number of firearms application forms, apparently to the detriment of the applicants.

Imagine, now, if these documents had been signed statements of the kind used in evidence a court of law.

Hold on now, aren't they actually signed statements that COULD be used in evidence in a court of law?

Let's just remind ourselves of the wording in the FCA1, eh?

'I understand that I may be liable to prosecution if knowingly give false or misleading information.'

Seems clear enough to me.

If the applicant can break the law by making a false declaration, so can the guy at the other end for altering it.

tac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 first amongst equals

I've just come back to this thread and phew

What I'm seeing is that we took a swing and missed and now it's the other guy's turn and he's got a very big stick indeed.

sparks is right, we blew it. In my opinion we ( NARGC) should not have settled. The purpose was to show flaws in the process. This wasn't done as it was settled without judgement.

BUT, I do not endorses NARGC s statement in relation to actions of the GS. ( and a very funny one to take if as stated by sparks, that nobody did wrong. In my opinion getting a determination that the process is flawed should not have descended into attempting to embarrass certain Gardai. That statement by NARGC makes me seriously question its professionalism . At the very least NARGC should apologise and fire it's PRO.

sparks is also completely right about how things are done in Ireland. We have the advantage that , in general, government bodies are approachable and even if misinformed will listen to reasoned argument. I also agree that the courts cannot be used to drive changes in firearms policy. Push on down this route and the minister will simply close down target shooting. Remember this is Ireland, the average punter doesn't even think half the stuff we currently license is actually in the country at all.

Now, don't flame me. I said before, the CF pistol debate is over, the sport is effectively over. What should be done is to begin the process of changing the SI. This is back room stuff not court case stuff.

The single issue remaining with the current licensing system, which I think is a reasonable system. Is to remove regional variability. That's the issue that the court case should have been used to highlight, the altering of license applications is a red herring. ( especially since I don't know exactly what was altered)

In effect a high profile test case was fought and then settled out of court. I suspect the reason we haven't seen the settlement is that in fact it's smoke and mirrors. It's so, because all the GS could offer is a reconsideration, anything else would be illegal, given that it is a legal right to reapply, just what exactly was all this about.

Since we seen to have accepted that the GS didn't do any illegal, why are we focusing on it. We agreed it didn't happen , so it didn't.

So now we've arrived at neither fish nor fowl. And in the process embarrassed the very people we need to convince to see our point of view, including one who is now an assistant commissioner, way to go NARGC.

I am reminded of a quote by Voltsire , who on his deathbed was asked by a priest to renounce Satan and all his works to which he replied " now is no time to be making enemies "

What's needed now are men with olive branchs. ( and to consider dumping NARGC)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

In my opinion getting a determination that the process is flawed should not have descended into attempting to embarrass certain Gardai.

In MY opinion, they have succeeded admirably in doing that themselves. Their actions have demonstrated quite clearly that the rest of us are rank amateurs by comparison.

The phrase 'hand in the cookie jar' springs to mind.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 47 lead loader

Well lads any thoughts or comments on todays meeting in Mullingar?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭Invincible

Didn't get any notice of it. Was it in the usual venue?

Invincible wrote: »
    Mullingar Park Hotel

• Advertisement

Unusual to have it on a Sunday!

Invincible wrote: »

You should read here more often :D
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77026516&postcount=271

The original announcement was on the NARGC website:
    TO: All Firearms Applicants Affected by the Recent High Court Settlement.

I wish to confirm that the NARGC will host a meeting at 2pm sharp in the Mullingar Park Hotel, Mullingar on Sunday, February 19th 2012 for all those affected by the recent High Court settlement i.e.:-

Category 1 Persons.
    1.) All persons who pursued a District Court Appeal and also a Judicial Review application (168 in total), will have their applications for restricted firearm certificates reconsidered by the appropriate licensing authority, who is either the Commissioner of An Garda Siochana or his lawful delegate, (that being an officer of a rank not below Chief Superintendent) with a full right of appeal against any further unfavorable decision to the District Court.

Category 2 Persons
    2.) Any person who does not fall into category 1 and who was the subject of a refusal to grant a restricted firearm certificate by a Chief Superintendent and who did not appeal the decision to refuse, is acknowledged under the terms of the settlement negotiated, to be entitled to re-apply for a firearm certificate. Many hundreds of pre-existing firearm certificate holders will fall into this category and this was a crucial element of the settlement the objective of which was to serve the interest of all recreational Target Shooters and not just Clients of these offices.

Category 3 Persons
    3.) Category 3 persons are a small number of persons whom the offices of William Egan & Associates represent, but also include individuals who have retained the services of a different Solicitor, but on whose behalf Judicial Review applications had not been pursued either by ourselves for our Clients (for whatsoever reason) or by their own Solicitors. We are presently considering the legal positions of such persons, who as matters stand, are in a less advantageous position than those persons who belong in categories 1 and 2. Suffice to say that these offices and the NARGC are committed to ensuring that category 3 persons are treated in exactly the same manner as category 1 & 2 persons. In other words both us and the NARGC will continue to press for the refusal to be expunged from the record, and that category 3 persons have an application considered afresh in accordance with law as is the position with category 1 and 2 persons. For those of our Clients who fit into this category of persons, we will be writing to them individually, and we will shortly publish particulars of the service we propose to provide to all persons who fall within this category, to ensure equality of treatment of all applicants. Protection of the interests of this category of person may well require the pursuit of further legal action. Given the fact that the State has lost every legal challenge it has faced in the NARGC supported cases, it would not be unreasonable to expect that any further legal action as may be required to protect and vindicate the interests of category 3 persons will be brought to quite a swift conclusion.

Category 4 Persons
    4.) Persons heretofore holders of a firearm certificate in respect of a restricted handgun as of the 19th of November 2008, and who did not apply for a firearm certificate under the new licensing regime, continue to be eligible to apply for a firearm certificate for their restricted handgun. Their applications need to be carefully constructed to optimize their prospects of securing the grant of a restricted firearm certificate.

The purpose of the meeting will be to provide a briefing for all the above categories of people who are affected and to provide further clarifications through questions and answers. The meeting will give clear direction to applicants in relation to their applications and also in relation to their rights.

The integrity of the firearms licensing system (and of the Gardai at senior rank) has suffered a severe body blow. It is clear from the revelations in the High Court that the Gardai cannot be trusted to operate the system on their own. Judge Hedigan focused on the Garda admissions of failure in the system to keep proper or any records and the fact that applications had been altered by a Senior officer. He declared the system to be “flawed”. Clearly, an alternative arrangement must be found, if for no other reason than to eliminate the necessity for a queue of legal challenges to continue with the consequential implications for the taxpayer.

Unfortunately, the High Court settlement has not bought tuppence worth of peace in relation to how the Gardai operate the licensing system and NARGC is determined to continue the battle in the courts until someone in the political establishment engages with us with a view to bringing forward a lasting peace. Neither current DOJ officials nor any member of the Garda Siochana are capable of commanding the trust and respect necessary to deliver that peace. Certainly, NARGC will not again sit with such people.

Des Crofton
    National Director

Oh right :), I thought he meant a quarterly meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Chopperdog 2

I found it very informative and good information given by the top table.
    I dont know if I am being too optimistic but I left there with a positive feel for my reapplication (I am a category 2 person, as I didnt have the funds available to pursue the legal challenge).

If it all goes the way the top table were hoping we could be shooting again before the end of the year

My only fear is that a new statutory instrument or change to the law may occur changing conditions required to satisfy reasons for licencing such firearm types.

What direction do the top table think this is going in, given that they've publicly stated they won't work with the people they need to work with?

And were the terms of the settlement disclosed at all?

I found it very informative and good information given by the top table.
    I dont know if I am being too optimistic but I left there with a positive feel for my reapplication

I agree totally, I also felt optimistic after the meeting. I think the statements from nargc that they are not anti garda are helpful, and I for one agree wholeheartedly withe the proposal to introduce a centralised application process.

I think the statements from nargc that they are not anti garda are helpful, and I for one agree wholeheartedly withe the proposal to introduce a centralised application process.
    Sorry, what statements? All we're seeing is statement like these:
    Neither current DOJ officials nor any member of the Garda Siochana are capable of commanding the trust and respect necessary to deliver that peace. Certainly, NARGC will not again sit with such people.
    the Garda Siochana has lost all credibility and cannot be trusted with the licensing system.
    They seem pretty anti-Garda to me.

And as to centralised licencing, we've discussed the cons of that before, but it seems not to be what the NARGC are really talking about - their statement on that was:
    we now request yet again, that the Minister establishes a centralised firearms licensing system which comprises the three pillars of the Department of Justice, the Garda Siochana and the Shooting community with independent oversight.
    Now to me, that reads as "we want the FCP", which bluntly, makes no sense because the NARGC just spent a lot of time and money burning the FCP down, despite it working (not to mention that it clashes completely with what they say about not sitting with the DoJ and AGS...).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Did any other Organisation in the Country get involved with these cases, or where the NARGC the only Association in Ireland to fight these. I still cant get a straight answer?? The reason why I am asking stems from it appears all the other Associations are very quiet on the subject.

Did any other Organisation in the Country get involved with these cases, or where the NARGC the only Association in Ireland to fight these. I still cant get a straight answer?? The reason why I am asking stems from it appears all the other Associations are very quiet on the subject.

From what I can see that's been stated in public, the NASRPC and CAI were trying to bring other cases, not these 168, but the NARGC has already issued a statement regarding that (a fairly catty statement about one of their main competitors in the market for providing insurance to Irish shooters, I thought myself, but that's by the by).

As to the other NGBs, they were working via the FCP because they thought, rightly, that you can't use the courts as a stick to beat the government with (all the problems I know about directly, the NTSA managed to resolve any problems it's come across via the FCP and FPU - can't speak for all the problems in all the NGBs, obviously). It might win you something small in the short-term, but "short" in this case means "as long as it takes the minister to draft a new law". We've known that since 1972 when Dessie stated it explicitly to those meeting him about the TCO debacle. Can't win in court if the other guy writes the laws the court must abide by. But then the NARGC's cases brought all the efforts and hard work of all the other NGBs - who were finally working together as one after years of people here calling for that - to a grinding halt.

Given all of that, I'm still trying to figure out what direction the NARGC can take at this point without abandoning all they've said publicly in the last year or two about the people in the AGS and DoJ that they will have to work with in order to achieve what they say they want to achieve.

I'm also, for that matter, not seeing what the point of any of the politicing was about - and no, I don't mean the cases, I understand that the plaintiffs felt they were devoid of options; I mean the way the court cases were and are being treated as a political tool, beyond the immediate scope of the cases themselves. We're now seeing the NARGC stating that what they want is for a body involving the shooting community, the Gardai and the DoJ to basically run the licencing in Ireland; and I'm left wondering why the NARGC, after destroying it, now wants the FCP back, only with the powers we would have seen it accumulate over time anyway?

None of this makes any sense given the data we have seen in public so far; which is why I'd be rather curious about the terms of the settlement, because what we've seen hinted at publicly by the Minister doesn't seem to suggest that anything's been achieved; nor does the legal analysis we've seen released; so either something hasn't been released yet, or someone is doing a lot of.... well, the polite term is "spin"...

Good to see that some issues are resolved through the FCP, I thought that was dead in the water. However when those with serious Power act ultra viraes is the only recourse not with the judicial system

• Advertisement

Good to see that some issues are resolved through the FCP, I thought that was dead in the water.
    It has been since the NARGC started down the court cases road; it was, however, working beforehand. But these cases have closed that avenue, and since it was solving more problems than we've seen court cases, that seems... unwise. Which isn't to say those who took cases weren't in extremis, just that now we have no official mechanism to try to sort anything out.
    However when those with serious Power act ultra viraes is the only recourse not with the judicial system
    What we've seen stated in public about the terms of the settlement by the Minister is that the settlement says noone did anything wrong. So we can't say anyone acted ultra vires, because the only cases that proved it happened seem to have signed a legally binding document saying that it never happened.

And even if that's not the case (which would imply the Minister is lying to TDs in the Dail), the courts cannot resolve such acts. We've already seen a Supreme Court case (McVeigh-v-Minister) taken on this exact point, saying the Minister had acted illegally. The actual judgement from this case (and it's a bit of reading, but this is worth it) says:
    72. Indeed, it could be said that the communications between the appellant and the Minister had some of the character of a dialogue of the deaf. The appellant surprisingly made no effort explain his need to import a Westley Richards double barrel .470 calibre rifle. On all the evidence in these cases, this was a high calibre weapon. Indeed, Mr. Kelly’s affidavit suggests that it was a weapon for use primarily for the shooting of heavy game, such as elephants. The Minister, for his part, did not propose to open any dialogue with the appellant.

73. In any event, it is quite clear that the Minister’s decision as communicated was infected by the vice of inflexibility. I do not think the matter can be rescued from the Minister’s point of view by Mr. Kelly’s belated attempt to portray it as otherwise than inflexible. The decision has then been made. According to the case-law, especially Dunne v. Donohoe, it was not a lawful decision. In my view, it was such as should have been quashed on judicial review. However, it is difficult to discern, at this stage, any advantage to be gained by quashing the decision of the Minister made more than seven years ago. I would simply make a declaration that the Minister had made an unlawful decision by basing it on an inflexible policy.
    Note the highlighted points. That's as close a Supreme Court Justice gets to this:

Facepalm.jpg

When all you get from a Supreme Court case (and all the expense of the solicitors and barristers through not only the SC case but the HC cases and appeals that led to it, the time of all the shooters and admin people, the stress, the hassle, the bad PR, and the enormous risks involved) is a declaration that something that happened seven years, three Ministers and three new Firearms Acts ago was unlawful (and would therefore have to have been remade by the Minister on different grounds - the SC couldn't direct that the import licence be granted).... well, you have to wonder what the point of a court case actually is. Would McVeigh have gotten what he wanted if he'd gone about things differently? A Supreme Court Justice seems to think so...

An agreed settlement still doesn't mean that that the PTB are innocent, in fact the speed at which they settled is an indication of the weakness of their case. The FCP can run the risk of becoming a talking shop were the representative bodies are dangling along merrily. I wouldn't be an advocate of an adversarial approach but sometimes it has to be done. What do we get out of it , possible nothing.

Possibly nothing because there is a saying that you can't fight city hall, they change the legislation in the 2013?? ammendment to the firearms act to suit themselves. What was going on was a disgrace? frightening and Orwellian. If they do this for Firearms where would they draw the line, and that hasn't been picked up on?

An agreed settlement still doesn't mean that that the PTB are innocent, in fact the speed at which they settled is an indication of the weakness of their case.
    The Minister disagrees with that assessment...

The fact that parties involved have since been promoted to high rank in the AGS after the interim report came in on the events the cases hightlighted speaks volumes, at least to my reading of things. But then, I might be a bit jaded.
    The FCP can run the risk of becoming a talking shop were the representative bodies are dangling along merrily.
    I keep hearing this line, but honestly, the only two places I hear it originating from are the NASRPC and the NARGC. One was annoyed that the rules they wrote themselves meant they were represented by the SSAI; the other has done possibly irrepairable damage to the FCP without talking with the other NGBs first, even though the NARGC was one of the first to say that it was key in the FCP to have a united front (and as I've already said, the shooting NGBs surprised me in a really nice way, by working together without drama for the first time in living memory).

If I was a cynic, I might think they had really meant "united under the NARGC's leadership, with the NARGC taking all the credit"... but hey, I'm probably just annoyed that the sane, sensible, rational, calm, working solution was abandoned in favour of shouting and pounding on tables.
    I wouldn't be an advocate of an adversarial approach but sometimes it has to be done. What do we get out of it , possible nothing.
    Possibly nothing because there is a saying that you can't fight city hall, they change the legislation in the 2013?? ammendment to the firearms act to suit themselves.
    Agreed. And we've seen that many times before. I'd be keeping a weather eye on the upcoming Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Bill that's on the government's legislative programme...
    What was going on was a disgrace? frightening and Orwellian. If they do this for Firearms where would they draw the line, and that hasn't been picked up on?
    Nobody's saying that what happened was right; not even amongst those who think a shouty approach is the fastest way to lose everything. How could anyone agree it was right? It's fundamentally wrong. And the blanket approach is in contempt of the Supreme Court's ruling in Dunne.

But here's the thing - if you scratch your hand on a rusty nail, you get a tetanus shot. You don't get an amputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Sparks wrote: »
    What direction do the top table think this is going in, given that they've publicly stated they won't work with the people they need to work with?

And were the terms of the settlement disclosed at all?

I guess you have to either be a client of William Egan & Co. or be paying the bills to know ;)

Rosahane wrote: »
    I guess you have to either be a client of William Egan & Co. or be paying the bills to know ;)
    Ah - I take it this is the 'United Front' we've all been seeking for years?

As noted in the PQ thread:
    Willie Penrose (Longford-Westmeath, Labour)
    Question 193: To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality in the context of a recent judgment of the High Court concerning a legal challenge against the refusal of restrictive firearms, if he will indicate that if persons who always held such a firearms licence and who were refused in the past two to three years or so the renewal of such application, will now have their refusal reviewed in the context of their application, whereby it appears that such refusals were being made on a blanket basis without adequate reasons being given; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [9113/12]

Alan Shatter (Minister, Department of Justice, Equality and Defence; Dublin South, Fine Gael)
    I understand that the cases referred to by the Deputy were settled and there was, in fact, no judgment delivered by the Court.

It was agreed, as part of the settlement, that any other person, eligible to apply for a Firearm Certificate in respect of a Restricted Firearm, who had previously been refused by the Granting Authority (Chief Superintendent) and which refusal has not been the subject of an appeal to the District Court (as outlined below) may re-submit an application for a Firearm Certificate in respect of a Restricted Firearm, for consideration by the Granting Authority, in accordance with law.

This category has been further clarified, to refer to two (2) specific categories of applicant :
    • Applicants who have had their application for a Firearm Certificate, in respect of a Restricted Firearm, refused and have not commenced an appeal to the District Court in respect of this decision; and
    • Applicants who have had their application for a Firearm Certificate, in respect of a Restricted Firearm, refused and have commenced proceedings appealing this decision before the District Court but have discontinued such appeal proceedings.

As noted earlier, this reapplication that everyone's saying was granted by the settlement, has in fact always been a right of everyone who is not disqualified under section 8 from applying for a cert. In other words, if you apply and are refused, and appeal and lose; you are perfectly entitled to immediately re-apply and re-appeal if refused again and can do so indefinitely - there is no legal mechanism to prohibit these applications and never has been.

[Mod Note: Threads merged as they're on the same topic]

From the NARGC website:
    IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT FOR RESTRICTED FIREARMS OWNERS.

Following the meeting in Mullingar on February 19th hosted by NARGC, the Association is pleased to announce that it has made a special arrangement with William Egan & Associates, Solicitors, to provide professional services to all restricted firearms licence holders who are not clients of that firm but who have been refused the renewal of their pre-existing firearms certificates and are affected by the recent High Court decision. Mr Egan has agreed to a request from NARGC to handle licence applications on behalf of this category of licence holder for a total nominal fee of €100 per application. Licence holders will appreciate that given what is at stake and the likely work involved, this represents exceptional value. Such interested parties should contact Mr Egan at:

I'm not sure what Egan&Associates are providing for that €100, given that we have all applied for our own licences by filling out the FCA1 form. All the NGBs and clubs happily help out members who have questions about the form, and for that matter, we've always answered such question on here free of charge as well.

There's no fee you have to pay the AGS to apply for a licence, the form is free to download from the AGS website, and unless you're printing it out on hand-stretched vellum, I can't see how a printout could run to €100.

I have to admit, I'm quite curious to find out what that €100 buys you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Sparks wrote: »
    As noted in the PQ thread:

As noted earlier, this reapplication that everyone's saying was granted by the settlement, has in fact always been a right of everyone who is not disqualified under section 8 from applying for a cert. In other words, if you apply and are refused, and appeal and lose; you are perfectly entitled to immediately re-apply and re-appeal if refused again and can do so indefinitely - there is no legal mechanism to prohibit these applications and never has been.

But if someone does apply for a previously held cf pistol and is refused again, that refusal will attract greater scrutiny from all quarters and would have to be a refusal based on an actual reason rather then the usual "i don't like dem yokes so no licence" bs.
    as someone said the chief supers are looking over their shoulders now, they were caught out bigtime with the application form tampering etc during the court session, who knows, they may actually do the job they are paid to do and act in a professional manner now, rather then like a bunch of yahoo's.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

rowa wrote: »
    But if someone does apply for a previously held cf pistol and is refused again, that refusal will attract greater scrutiny from all quarters and would have to be a refusal based on an actual reason rather then the usual "i don't like dem yokes so no licence" bs..........
    How would that refusal be any different from someone that was "helped" fill in their application?

The focus is already on restricted firearm applications. Even the 168 are not guaranteed to be granted their license. So how does paying someone €100 to help you ensure or even strengthen your application. There is no section on the FCA1 for a solicitor or NGB to sign as a "guarantor".

I just do not see what paying €100 can provide that cannot be gotten or was not answered here and elsewhere for free. Now if there is some "thing" that will be attached to an FCA1 done through W.E. then i stand corrected, and am happy to be proved wrong.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement