Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retro Shops/Bargains/Auction Links

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,607 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Ah, the bidder's remorse!

I've had that seriously bad the last few days. Been on the lookout for a WW2 vintage German military watch. Was winning an auction all week.

In the meantime I decided to do a bit more research and it turns out radium was used in old watches up until thet 50s/60s to make them glow in the dark! I thought it was tritium.

The more I read, the more freaked out I got. It's seriously dangerous stuff and has a Half Life of 1600 years! Some of the gamma rays are strong enough to penetrate the back steel plating of the watch - nevermind the glass/acrylic crystal on the front.

Apparantly they're safe (enough) to wear if you take them off at night and don't wear them every day. But I'm not really too into the idea of wearing anything which sends a geiger counter squealing.

So yeah, on that slightly off topic tangent - if you have any old glow in the dark watches (pre 1960s), be careful with them. And whatever you do, DON'T open them. Accidentally inhaling the radium dust which is released when you take off the front crystal will probably give you cancer.

I would imagine a lot of people interested in making steampunk type jewelry have pretty much killed themselves without realizing. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

o1s1n wrote: »
    I've had that seriously bad the last few days. Been on the lookout for a WW2 vintage German military watch.

are_you_right_there_father_ted.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Yeah a lot of people done realise that a lot of things that "arnt made like they used to be" are done that way for a reason. I learned a load of stuff in college and the whole asbestos thing is just one of a lot of really stupid things that people used to put in their houses.

But I'm onto ebay now, just got a paypal payment for 90 bucks that I didnt know was coming so time for some treats I think :D

Master of the Universe

Seriously, listen to the geiger counter at 30 seconds!

It's like something out of the feckin' Fallout games :pac:

Any idea what you want to spend your recently aquired monies on?

haha mabye if you wear that you'll get super powers.... or cancer

Emm I dunno yet, looking at pc engine and saturn consoles at the moment seeing if I can find a nice little bargain anyplace

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

haha mabye if you wear that you'll get super powers.... or cancer

Emm I dunno yet, looking at pc engine and saturn consoles at the moment seeing if I can find a nice little bargain anyplace

Pc engine!

Master of the Universe

Do you not have a Saturn yet no?

If you don't have one then buy one ASAP. Trawl through Japanese ebay search results, you should get one for nothing.

I'd love a PC Engine myself, but the Saturn is one of those things you just have to have or you're REALLY missing out.

Ah I had one, a pal one, went off in a trade as part of my Naomi. Wanted to get the Japanese one anyway so on the look for one now.

Kinda want to wait an splurge and get a skeleton one but think that stock white Jap one will do, still really cool console like

Master of the Universe

The very first grey one has a red LED cd access light. The later ones don't though. Not sure which generation the white one fits into.

The skeleton console has to be the ultimate though. It just looks so damn cool. So cool that it's called 'this is cool'!

This guy is taking offers. Shame postage is so expensive. Maybe he'd do a cheaper rate?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sega-Saturn-SKELETON-Console-System-Boxed-Import-JAPAN-2113-/220918267967?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336fc1403f

Yeah its just so bloody cool. Ah think I'll wait and get a skeleton.

Really in the mood for a purchase though haha, feel like such a c**t saying that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Suprima85

How's it going folks. Long time watching this thread and following some of the bargains and managed to snap up quite a few at the same time. So thanks for that. Anyway this is my first post here on boards so go easy on me. Ger is my name and i'll leave my first auction link here. Its for a Nintendo NES in very good condition if anyone is interested. :D

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/160710464121?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649#ht_500wt_1287

I look forward to more bargain hunts for retro systems. Take care.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Suprima85 wrote: »
    How's it going folks. Long time watching this thread and following some of the bargains and managed to snap up quite a few at the same time. So thanks for that. Anyway this is my first post here on boards so go easy on me. Ger is my name and i'll leave my first auction link here. Its for a Nintendo NES in very good condition if anyone is interested. :D

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/160710464121?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649#ht_500wt_1287

Feckin lurkers coming in here stealing all our goodies! :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Suprima85 wrote: »

are you the seller? had my eye on that, but to be honest its gone a bit high for me. its worth that, but i wouldnt pay it at the minute.

keithgeo wrote: »
    are you the seller? had my eye on that, but to be honest its gone a bit high for me. its worth that, but i wouldnt pay it at the minute.

Yes i am indeed. I honestly wasn't expecting it to go that high that quick. I've seen them go for €100+ the odd time and this one is in very good nick so i said id chance my arm and see.

Feckin lurkers coming in here stealing all our goodies! :P

Haha i didn't take anything too rare so not to worry ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just put a bid on the crustiest, roughest looking Neo Geo stick in Christendom but, if I win it, I will just love it all the more..
    crusty and rusty but probably still trusty

That thing is prime to be revamped into something cool!

Or you could just stickerbomb the front of it

Master of the Universe

Now this, is cool.

Canabalt for the C64 is getting a catridge run -

http://www.rgcd.co.uk/p/shop.html

Very nice

The soundtrack on the video on that page is so good!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Very nice

The soundtrack on the video on that page is so good!

Aye thought the music was brilliant. Tempted to get it even though I don't have a C64 anymore. :( Actually very tempted to get a C64 and that flash cart.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

This is a nice little package,
    VF Kids, ST-V motherboard and a Supergun and controller.
    He says it's a Mk4 Supergun but I think, by it's colour, that's it's a Mk1.
    The big difference is the Mk1 takes MD controllers while the Mk4 takes NeoGeo ones.
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/STV-mobo-Virtua-Fighter-Kids-supergun-mk4-joypad-/150719197329?pt=UK_Video_Games_Coin_Operated_MJ&hash=item2317907091#ht_500wt_1180

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    This is a nice little package,
    VF Kids, ST-V motherboard and a Supergun and controller.
    He says it's a Mk4 Supergun but I think, by it's colour, that's it's a Mk1.
    The big difference is the Mk1 takes MD controllers while the Mk4 takes NeoGeo ones.
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/STV-mobo-Virtua-Fighter-Kids-supergun-mk4-joypad-/150719197329?pt=UK_Video_Games_Coin_Operated_MJ&hash=item2317907091#ht_500wt_1180

Anyone thinking of buying from that eBay seller, do so with confidence. I know who the bloke is behind that account and he's top notch.

I was keen on an STV for a while, but buying carts for it is a minefield as there are so many accurate bootlegs. I nearly got stung not once, not twice, but thrice!

I think he must be Vogatek or operating on his behalf.
    Vogatek used to have an ebay account in his own name but something happened a year or so ago and people were subject to some delays.
    I think the account was closed then.
    This guy seems to either be him in another guise or someone who bought the stock from Vogatek.
    Either way he seems straight up and the product is Vogatek and as reliable as it comes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

The same person (idchappy) sells stuff over on AO and has perfect feedback there too.

Nice little GB pocket and a nice err colour? too.

http://www.adverts.ie/nintendo/gameboy-pocket/1240240

Master of the Universe

Elevator Action II (Returns) cart on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Taito-ELEVATOR-ACTION-II-Cartridge-Guaranteed-Working-jamma-PCB-/170731942686?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c06ab31e

Want!!!

Would still need to get the Taito motherboard. So it's an expensive purchase. But what a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

the adverts.ie curse (or whatever it is) strikes again, Gazumped and then told to feck off, reported the ad but I doubt anything will come of that.

Using that site as a buyer is a bit like playing the lottery, you know there is a snowball's chance in hell of ever getting much useful off it but you can't stop plying in case your numbers come up the one week you don't:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

o1s1n wrote: »
    Elevator Action II (Returns) cart on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Taito-ELEVATOR-ACTION-II-Cartridge-Guaranteed-Working-jamma-PCB-/170731942686?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c06ab31e

Want!!!

Would still need to get the Taito motherboard. So it's an expensive purchase. But what a game.

That is an absolute beaut! Worth at least 200 quid of anyone's cash. Awesome game, I'd love to have that! But, Batrider (and another secret PCB 'get') saving scheme is more important right now!

Hey can anyone tell me the name of that ebay seller who sells the awesome turbo duos

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Pyongyang wrote: »
    That is an absolute beaut! Worth at least 200 quid of anyone's cash. Awesome game, I'd love to have that! But, Batrider (and another secret PCB 'get') saving scheme is more important right now!

The 'batrider location scheme' is as important if not MORE important than the saving one. I bet you have the money before you manage to find a PCB anywhere! :D
    Hey can anyone tell me the name of that ebay seller who sells the awesome turbo duos

It was doujindance or something sounding similar to that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement