Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Ten Tips for Orlando, Florida

Options
  • 07-12-2011 11:39am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭

Just back from Orlando. I won't bother with the usual "you absolutely have to go here..." and skip straight to the tips. In no particular order.

i) Buy your theme park tickets at home before travelling. So much cheaper than the states. We used loveorlandotickets.ie. Seemed to be cheapest. Bought 5 parks for 192 euro.

ii) You need to rent a car. Companies regularly change, not much in difference. We went with dollar. Great selection of cars. You can walk to the lot and pick your own from many different models in the same "economy" class or whatever. Fuel consumption makes a big difference so be prepared. Their MPG range from 22 - 32mpg, which is appalling but when on a budget you want to consider this. Though gas is very cheap ($3.30/gallon or €0.83/litre) you will do a lot of driving between parks and their big engines. Take pic of cars sides and back before take off.

iii) Opt in for the full tank from the car company. Costs around 40 bucks, around ten bucks more than a petrol station but it means you can bring it back empty, relieving you of last minute stress and not get the ridiculous charges they levy for filling it up with their own.

iv) Keep to right lanes as leaving airport. There are two toll bridges no matter where you are going and the cash lanes are on the right (the same side they drive btw!). You need some form of dollar (notes of 20 or smaller, or change) or 7 quarters. First one is $1, the second is $0.75. If you miss and go straight through you may end up with a $20 penalty from the car company

v) Bring your Garmin or borrow someone elses. Saves a lot of time and stress getting to various spots as roads, while well marked, are so numerous and big it's easy to go wrong. Preprogram key destinations.

vi) Bring a small bag to the theme parks with your own water (while it's free there and very available, it tastes awful) and a few snacks. Bottled stuff is really expensive and the food is absolutely terrible. Highly recommend packed lunch (will have to leave in car but only takes 10-15mins to get back to, it's a nice break and really really worth it), top up water bottles, have rest.

vii) To reduce wait times: Go counterclockwise around the parks (usually means taking a right or simply aiming for the highest number as attractions are numbered 1 to say 17). Queues are less (assuming you hit them early). If you hit them late make sure you go clockwise and leave the best till last when the kids are gone. Also, use single rider lanes. Really important this. Slashes wait times for roller coasters etc from 40 to 5mins. Mightn't get to sit beside your mate but who cares you'll be too busy and you have them for the line which is the most important thing.

viii) Parks: Obviously do not miss Universal and Island of Adventure. The best rides are in these two places which are right beside each other separated by Citiwalk which has loads of cool bars and shops. Disney land's great if you have kids but missable if you're older and have a budget. MGM / Hollywood studios is also missable for same reasons. Also get yourself to Busch gardens (brilliant roller coasters, incredible scenery etc). Seaworld is worth a look, some good rides, the dolphin shows are impressive if you can get past the Free Willy thing, which I couldn't really if I'm honest. Water parks (Wet n wild / Aquatica are great fun, latter is probably more for the adults, great on a hot day), Space kennedy centre is pretty good (1.5hrs east of Orlando), we saw the rocket for mars take off. Take some time off at Clear Water beach / St Petersburgh. Great beaches and food. 1.5hrs west from Orlando in car, easy drive. Parks open 9-6/7. Aim to go when schools are in. Parking cost $14, unavoidable. Handy tip though, hotels beside parks sometimes have cheaper parking but this is rare, not really worth the hassle. Take pic of area where car is parked.

ix) Shop in the outlets, most importantly the outlets malls on International Drive (huge and better for men) and the one on Vineland drive (smaller but better for women). We were there for thanksgiving (end of November when "black Friday" happens (day after thanksgiving when everything is slashed in price, shops open at 00:00, mad stuff but great prices). While incredible discounts are guaranteed all year round make sure to download all your coupons and print them out from their site which usually gets you 25% off on top of your purchases. Take your tags off before departure. Also pharmacy drugs, makeup etc are really cheap in the CVS pharmacies, they're all over the place.

x) Eat your breakfast in Cracker Barrel (cheap, huge, very nice), dinners in Applebees (cheap, good food, half price stuff all the time, beers two for one, great atmosphere). The hotels have the best restaurants. Always tip 15-20% for all service anywhere.

It's a pricey trip. You each need at least 2.5k all in for ten days incl. very moderate shopping.

Hope this helps folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭TigerTim

That's brilliant information. Thinking of going there next year with the kids. Who did you fly with - Aer Lingus?.

T.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭DogsFirst

No went with US Airways. Absolutely crap airline with the worst food (and as my girlfriend says I don't care what it is as long as there's loads of it...and I can eat it with a fork) but does the job, and cheaper. Go via Philli, one hour wait. You can get your teeth done here actually!! All done in a day is the ad. Thought about that. 23kg limit. Bring your own earphones for the movie (they cost $5 though I did wrangle a pair for nothing by helping her with her dog, nice one). Aer Lingus go direct, something to be said for that but expect an extra €150 or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Any more tips or observations?

Heading with the family on June 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

couple of my tips

1. get to the parks 15mins before they open, in 2008 we were in orlando during easter weekend so it was extremely busy but we got to islands of adventure at 8.45am (opened just before 9am) and had all the major rides done twice by 12pm

2. if you are staying on i-drive or near the florida mall there is a lynx bus (#42) to and from the airport every 30mins, costs a fraction of what a taxi will

3. the parks are very big, so be prepared for that, it gets very warm and humid in florida from may till september so be prepared for that, lots of sunscreen, plenty of water, in summer expect a torrential thunder storm at any time

4. the distances in orlando between the parks and between downtown are large, most hotels will offer complementary shuttles to and from the closest park and to the others for a fee

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Bannerman7

The link below is full of all things driving including how to drive from airports to International Drive, Lake Buena Vista & Kissimmee. The driving directions include pictures of exits etc & is a very helpfull aid in driving out of the airports. With this driving info you can then use Google Maps streetview and " drive" your route on your PC before you go.

http://www.kissimmee-us192.com/british/airport_routes.htm

http://maps.google.com/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Bannerman7 wrote: »
    The link below is full of all things driving including how to drive from airports to International Drive, Lake Buena Vista & Kissimmee. The driving directions include pictures of exits etc & is a very helpfull aid in driving out of the airports. With this driving info you can then use Google Maps streetview and " drive" your route on your PC before you go.

http://www.kissimmee-us192.com/british/airport_routes.htm

http://maps.google.com/

Yep, street view drive is very helpful. And if you bring a laptop with you and plan your driving, you don't really need a sat-nav.

Another recommendation would be the fast-pass tickets for the parks -your queue times will be about 80% quicker. They are a little expensive, but if the budget will stretch, I would definitely get them.

Used to spend lots of summers in Orlando and there really isn't a tactic for quickening up your queue times in high-season other than the fast-passes. The Disney parks do a ticketing system by which you get an alloted time to return to the ride, this is also very useful.

If there is one restaurant I would recommend it would be Cafe TuTu Tango, on Intl. Drive, my favourite restaurant in Orlando.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Any more tips or observations?

Heading with the family on June 1st.

1. Get to the parks early, at least 30mins before opening.

2. Have a plan!! Go on all the park websites and pick your families top 5 must do's and do them early, after that everything else is a bonus

3. For Disney parks, understand how the fast pass system actually works and use it to the max.

4. Use the South Exit out of MCO if it suits your destination, much quieter drive

5. Undercover tourist for park tickets

6. Prepay your hire car before you go including all insurances & gas, much cheaper, if going to use dollar, sign up for dollar express and walk straight out to the car park after collecting your bags, no Qing

7. Rent a villa / house probably cheaper than a hotel, more space & your own pool, if travelling with kids, a hotel room is going to seem real small after a few days

8. For Harry Potter in IOA, NO BAGS ALLOWED, walk to the left of the long Q (they are all in line for lockers) with NO BAGS

9. Do plenty of research, some parks are quieter on certian days

Sure I'll think of more, enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Agent P

A few more tips

1. When using the monorail to get to the Magic Kingdom use the resort monorail. It can take a bit longer but it is never as full as the express monorail, so it is good if you have kids are want to relax for a few minutes.

2. If you rent a car make sure you have a few $1 bills. You will pass a few tolls and they all give change.

3. My personal preference would be to stay at a hotel that is not on I-Drive. It can get very busy at times which gets annoying after awhile.

4. Rent a car. It is the best way to get around.

5. Pay attention when driving. Exit's and other drivers can sneak up on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

Visit this site www.thedibb.co.uk before you plan your days, excellent information.

Another good site is www.orlandovillas.com I used this site to book a villa & car hire earlier this year and everything went very smoothly. There is a good forum on the site also with info & tips etc. I've no connection with the site.

Have a few quarters available, some tolled exits are are un-manned, the exit at Celebration for example, or else there will be a lot of alarm bells and flashing lights going off.

If you haven't driven over there before, it's easier than here so don't let that put you off hiring a car.

Take a break from the parks, 3 days on, one day off works for us, you can't do it all in two weeks so don't even try.

Avoid Easter, June, July & August, too hot, too humid and too much standing in line, if you can, go in September / October, great weather, lower crowd levels, we went last March (Spring Break) got a great deal on flights with Aer Lingus and with a plan was well managable

Cirque du Soliel is a great show for all the family.

Again, have a plan, Orlando is an experience not a restfull / chill out holiday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

Great post DogsFirst.

Any ideas on how much spending money you'd need for 3 weeks with 2 adults 4 young-ish kids? Will be doing self-catering with park tickets and car all ready bought so dont need to worry about them.

bcirl03 wrote: »
    Great post DogsFirst.

Any ideas on how much spending money you'd need for 3 weeks with 2 adults 4 young-ish kids? Park tickets and car all ready bought so dont need to worry about them.

We set a max budget of $220 / day for 2 adults & 2 kids (6 & 13) before we left last year, don't remember ever hitting it, from memory spent approx $150 to $170 on average.

This would have covered lunch in the parks ($30ish), dinner & a couple of drinks in the evening ($80ish), petrol, the odd coffee, juice for the kids all that kind of general stuff.

Self catering so breakfast wasn't an expense most days, found the local supermarkets like Target, Publix & Walmart to be good value for groceries, if you were on a really tight budget & self catering cooking your own evening meal, could possibly do it on $120 a day but wouldn't fancy it myself

None of the above includes what was spent in the way of clothes & shoes
    by Imelda Marcos :D I mean the missus

Another tip is that all the supermarkets sell Disney stuff, t-shirts, toys etc, buy your gifts there rather than the parks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

Looking at going for a week in June with the wife and our 4 year old. What would people recommend? Bare in mind we can't really do anything a 4 year can't do, so Water Parks and Rollercoasters are out! The little one really only wants to see Mickey and Minnie!

It's seems to be a mine field out there. We were recommended to stay in The Point

What tickets should I get? Should I get a 5 day ticket? I really haven't a clue!

On a recession budget too! :D:p;)

flanzer wrote: »
    Looking at going for a week in June with the wife and our 4 year old. What would people recommend? Bare in mind we can't really do anything a 4 year can't do, so Water Parks and Rollercoasters are out! The little one really only wants to see Mickey and Minnie!

It's seems to be a mine field out there. We were recommended to stay in The Point

What tickets should I get? Should I get a 5 day ticket? I really haven't a clue!

Going by what you have said, I wouldn't stay there, you are much closer to Universal than Disney....just a suggestion, have a look at the Best Western on Hotel Plaza Boulevard, it's not the Ritz but they have a regular bus shuttle to all the Disney Parks (save you $10 a day parking) and it's within walking distance of Downtown Disney for a stroll in the evenings, look at other hotels on this road.

Really with your little one you are looking at Magic Kindom as the big one, there won't be much for him at Epcot but it is excellent for meeting characters. Disneys Animal Kingdom would be grand also, it's not all rollercoasters, the shows are very good also, gets you out of the midday sun for a while, plenty of animals also. Disneys Hollywood studios also has some good shows.

Seaworld would be worth a visit, there is also a Seaworld Orlando water park which I wouldn't rule out.

To be honest though, it will be baking hot, busy, potentially a lot of standing in line, you've an 8 hour flight also, it's not the same but maybe consider Disneyland Paris for 3/4 days, Orlando in a couple of years when a bit older

If you go, on entering MK, on the right hand side there is a building doing meet & greets

Seeing as your moving about speed may be limited, I probably wouldn't bother with the park hopper tickets, visit a park first thing in the morning, back to hotel in the afternoon if it gets too hot, back to the same park in the evening if you wish

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭deltakilo

The best place to see Mickey & Minnie is in the Character Spot in Epcot. It is indoors so you dont have to worry about the heat and you get to meet all the characters in one place. Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Goofy & Donald are there for autographs and photos.

When booking your hotel make sure they have a shuttle to all the parks. This will save a lot of money instead of using taxis.

I would recommend www.undercovertourist.com for tickets. I used them last year and they were the best for price and options. You probably don't need the park hopper option unless you intend visiting more than one park in a day. I have been there several times and have never used this.

The fireworks and lightshow parade in Magic Kingdom is a must see.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

as for parks i would recommend magic kingdom, epcot and seaworld, plenty to see and do with a 4 year old in those 3 parks, the water based shows in seaworld are great and they have an indoor show with small animals which the kids (and bigger kids :p) love

a 1 day ticket for each of those parks is fine, it will take a full day to see each park

tons of hotels in orlando, honestly if you are on a budget something like the la quinta inns are grand for a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Me and missus are doing a bit of a whistlestop tour in Orlando as part of an overall tour of Florida. We have 2 days at Disney and 2 nights in Universal, staying on site at both resorts. So far all we know is we want to see the Harry Potter world at Universal. What would people recommend park wise?

Me and missus are doing a bit of a whistlestop tour in Orlando as part of an overall tour of Florida. We have 2 days at Disney and 2 nights in Universal, staying on site at both resorts. So far all we know is we want to see the Harry Potter world at Universal. What would people recommend park wise?

More thrill rides at Islands of Adventure / Universal if that's your thing, these parks are more geared towards teens & adults. See my earlier post about no bags for HP, Simpsons, the Mummy, Dragon Challenge, Hulk, Spiderman are all great fun

Epcot at Disney is a nice interesting day, don't miss Soaring,

Hollywood Studios, Tower of Terror and Rock 'n' Rollercoaster

They would be my picks,

Staying on site you will possibly have earlier access to parks than the general public, take advantage of it

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

deltakilo wrote: »
    I would recommend www.undercovertourist.com for tickets.

Wow, what a great site - thanks deltakilo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Great info. Going in March (for the 4th time!) but a lot of the stuff is new and we are staying in a different area. Staying in Lake Buena Vista this time - next to the outlets. Plan was to use the hotel shuttle to the parks but have checked the times and they are really not much use for some of the days! Any other suggestions? Dont really want to taxi 8 of us back and forth to all the parks

We will be using hopper tickets as our kids are 19, 17 and 13 so are well able for 2 parks in a day so will check out the sites
    Thanks

• Advertisement

bcirl03 wrote: »
    Wow, what a great site - thanks deltakilo.

If you sign up to I think it's www.mousesavers.com newsletter, they have a link to undercovertourist, you can get a further reduction on theme park tickets, not huge but think I saved a further $50 last year

Dovies wrote: »
    Great info. Going in March (for the 4th time!) but a lot of the stuff is new and we are staying in a different area. Staying in Lake Buena Vista this time - next to the outlets. Plan was to use the hotel shuttle to the parks but have checked the times and they are really not much use for some of the days! Any other suggestions? Dont really want to taxi 8 of us back and forth to all the parks

We will be using hopper tickets as our kids are 19, 17 and 13 so are well able for 2 parks in a day so will check out the sites
    Thanks

You can get a 7 seater passenger van for $630 for 2 weeks, all insurances included with www.orlandovillas.com in March at the mo. Click on the car hire tab on their homepage, found them very good last year

No connection with site by the way, just a happy customer

You can get a 7 seater passenger van for $630 for 2 weeks, all insurances included with www.orlandovillas.com in March at the mo. Click on the car hire tab on their homepage, found them very good last year

No connection with site by the way, just a happy customer

Yeah I know but Im not driving around Florida for anyone at any price! :eek:

Checked out the sites - undercovertourist and loveorlandotickets and unless I am doing something wrong (as in pricing them in Euros) they are exactly the same price as tickets from Tour America, Keith Prowse and attractionticketsdirect - give or take 2/3 euro!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

One of the best pieces of advice I can give is to bring a packed lunch to the parks. They will search your bags and tell you that food isn't allowed - just tell them your kids have allergies and they'll let you bring it it. Works 100% of the time

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Oh and check out Legoland if you have kids under 12

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭deltakilo

Checked out the sites - undercovertourist and loveorlandotickets and unless I am doing something wrong (as in pricing them in Euros) they are exactly the same price as tickets from Tour America, Keith Prowse and attractionticketsdirect - give or take 2/3 euro!

The prices are similar to attractionticketsdirect but undercovertourist has far more options. If you sign up to www.mousesavers.com you can save a bit more. They send out a newsletter once a month with various discounts.

Driving is so easy over there, should reconsider, after two days you will be grand and it really frees you up, you can then drive down to Busch Gardens in Tampa in 1hr15m, great rides down there

deltakilo wrote: »
    The prices are similar to attractionticketsdirect but undercovertourist has far more options. If you sign up to www.mousesavers.com you can save a bit more. They send out a newsletter once a month with various discounts.

What do you enter for the zip/postal code - wont accept

What do you enter for the zip/postal code - wont accept

Try 0000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

rossie1977 wrote: »
    as for parks i would recommend magic kingdom, epcot and seaworld, plenty to see and do with a 4 year old in those 3 parks, the water based shows in seaworld are great and they have an indoor show with small animals which the kids (and bigger kids :p) love

a 1 day ticket for each of those parks is fine, it will take a full day to see each park

tons of hotels in orlando, honestly if you are on a budget something like the la quinta inns are grand for a few days

Yeah, we were trying to work out would we do more than 1 park in a day... I guess not. Then with the 7 days we are there, how many of those days would be spent in parks....we reckon 3/4, Magic Kingdom, Epcot, then a flip between Animal Kingdom and Sea World...Maybe Hollywood studios too??

Maybe we'll stick to the 3 days?
    Hyzepher wrote: »
    One of the best pieces of advice I can give is to bring a packed lunch to the parks. They will search your bags and tell you that food isn't allowed - just tell them your kids have allergies and they'll let you bring it it. Works 100% of the time

Love it!!! Hang Sangwiches it is!

Advertisement