Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

In anticipation of my first ever grail... :D

DariusExtralogoscreen.png

490070-darius-burst-psp-screenshot-warning-a-huge-battle-ship-is.jpg

GDFire_Fossilh01.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just make sure you choose wisely!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Those ships look like 3D models. I'll believe it when I see Brian Cowen given a shot of nitrogen up the arse and made to levitate. :pac:

Hmm, the very last shot does look more realistic but the rest of the video is kinda suspect.

• Advertisement

Apparently my grail was delivered at 9:43am and signed for. No sign of it still!

If it's not here soon I'm grabbing a torch and a pitchfork. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Hmm, the very last shot does look more realistic but the rest of the video is kinda suspect.

I would imagine those involved in quantum science would at least be able to spell 'research'. I've seen super-cooled super-conducting magnets do the whole levitation thing, never seen the cool vapour trails though....bit too cool to be real?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

The actual quantum levitation videos look too cool to be real... but this one is a bit much.

Everyone knows they're actually too hard at work on Back to the Future hover boards to be dicking around with Wipeout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So, smooth jazz is the preferred bgm to all experiments or just the ones involving superconductors cooled with liquid nitrogen?
    I mean, if they were posting videos of them conducting experiments involving the teleportation of photons using the quantum tunneling effect, would it be belgian techno?

I take the latter point back, the original Wipeout music, used in the first video, with the Wipeout models, is not too far from Belgian techno... deary deary me :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Actually, doing a quick search online suggests that the Wipeout demonstration is perfectly possible, given the use of pressurised Nitrogen to cool the superconductors that must be mounted in the models.
    Then, by manipulating the electromagnets in the track material you can propel the craft.
    Nice!

No time soon will there be practical uses, on track say.
    The track itself would have to be a giant array of electromagnets, and the craft would have a prohibitive amount of superconducting material to get it to levitate.
    I think the easiest part would be the storage of enough liquid nitrogen!

Some day, when I win the lotto and have a spare 150 million, I'll build my wipeout track, some of you may even have a go, if only so I can hit you with a Quake Disruptor as you pass, Mwa hahaha!

I think it's a viral for WipeOut 2048.

Hmmm, it's only worked because you've mentioned the link...

Pyongyang, are you a Sony corporate schill?
    Tell the truth now!

Hell no! Though I confess I'm looking forward to the PS Vita.

This just in from the 'wasn't expecting that' department:

http://www.next-gen.biz/news/report-retailers-cutting-3g-vita-prices

Pyongyang wrote: »
    [SARCASM]This just in from the 'wasn't expecting that' department:

http://www.next-gen.biz/news/report-retailers-cutting-3g-vita-prices[/SARCASM]

Fixed it for ya!

But, yeah, just read that myself and it seems inevitable.
    I'm not sure it's legit to lay the fault at the feat of the popularity of smartphones, apps and, hence, an apathy towards portable games systems.
    I just think that the new format fails to make itself essential in any way.
    Only Wipeout fans are excited by Wipeout 2084, no new gamers give a toss about the series and this is evidenced by the lack of traction (pun intended) for any futuristic racing titles since the PS1 titles.
    Uncharted seems to be the biggest AAA title in the launch lineup but, if you are trying to attract a cross-section of the gaming community to your new console the chance is that 360 owners who may be interested in buying may not think highly of the hitherto PS3 exclusive series.
    The 3DS has been playing to the crowd with a number of crowd pleasers released, Mario Kart 7, Mario 3D land, ZeldaOoT, Starfox and sales have responded.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

3G seems completely pointless to me. In Japan it's even more pointless since all portable multiplayer is local multiplayer with not much interest in online multiplayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I think it's a viral for WipeOut 2048.

I still choose to believe its real. Purely cause I want a flying car before I die

If the prices are being, or planning on being cut, surely that would have a knock on effect with the EU and US launches?

If it doesn't, it makes importing a PS Vita a bit more palatable.

From the article:
    It appears to be an isolated case

This is just a retailer looking to shift some units I'd imagine. Sony are far too pig-headed to admit defeat yet & lower the price.

Cidock is spot on, the Vita just isn't essential yet. Uncharted is the only AAA title in the line-up, but at damned near or over €300 for the privilege, they can sing.

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    the Vita just isn't essential yet.

http://caveinteractive.com/news/cave-release-games-playstation%C2%AE-vita/

Yes it is! :pac:

I said yet ;)

Sony made the same mistake Nintendo made initially. The unit itself isn't a selling point, the games are. The 3DS is only now seeing the good life, with a nice trickle of good games coming out, & coupled with the price drop, should actually see the 3DS brought back from the brink.

Sony though, can & will mess it up if its possible to do so. Fingers crossed though, it looks like a cracking handheld.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Look at this thing:

retrode.jpg

Takes SNES and Megadrive cartridges and plugs into your USB slot.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/01/04/nintendosega-retromancy-on-pc/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭Doge

Speaking of levitation, i just won one of these babies on ebay recently: :)

Stays up for about 3-5 minutes.

If you buy the perpetuator which is an expensive mains powered electromagnet you can put under it to help stabilize it
    And it could stay airborne for weeks maybe even months without interference.

You can get a cheaper chinese immitation version on dealextreme for about 13 euro:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/magnetic-in-air-suspending-and-hovering-gyro-4773

Their's is more prone to wobble though, and doesn't rise as high.

waveform wrote: »
    There's is more prone to wobble though, and doesn't rise as high.

Ciderman has a similar affliction

DinoRex wrote: »
    Look at this thing:

retrode.jpg

Think theres one of those on order for one of the residents here, am I right?

But the VITA, spec wise it looks to be pretty great. But Sony are well able to make **** out of any handheld as we all know

• Registered Users Posts: 34,479 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

DinoRex wrote: »
    Look at this thing:

retrode.jpg

Already have one preordered :pac:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76241384&postcount=7133

Plus, with the 3G version, you're looking at the extra expense of a sim and a subscription to a mobile provider.
    I wonder if your current PSN account will interlink with the Vita account?
    If you are paying the hilarious PSN+ blood money (and Sony slagged MS for charging for the superior XBL) will you have to do it again for the Vita?
    Are you going to get stung with ads?

And the fact that the menus are exclusively touch screen driven sounds like a complete pain, I suspect it'll be rectified by a firmware update soon.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Ciderman has a similar affliction

No, mine stays rigid and up for hours.... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,479 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    No, mine stays rigid and up for hours.... ;)

I thought you two broke up years ago?

Have you realized how much you missed each other?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement