Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i have it on dvd and it does have that song cut out of it, but i was pretty happy about it.. always thought that was the weakest part of the movie :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,181 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

i have it on dvd and it does have that song cut out of it, but i was pretty happy about it.. always thought that was the weakest part of the movie :D

Your heart is a cold and desolate place Sir Digby Chicken Caesar :pac:

and every day it's getting worse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Tremors last night, Tremors 2 tonight :)

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Your heart is a cold and desolate place Sir Digby Chicken Caesar :pac:

they still have it in the end credits :) and I listened to it all
    it's still ****e :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Despite having bought in a selection of excellent movies specifically for Christmas, I found myself watching those offered by RTE, TG4 etc....Quantum of Solace 4/10 - predictable and the action scenes were tame; The Great Escape - if ever a film was misnamed - but it has stood the test of time and what a star studded cast (!) 9/10; True Grit - the John Wayne one - still hits the spot after all these years 9/10; Independence Day - still awful and I have it on DVD so why did I inflict it on myself again - 4/10; and an odd piece of unseasonal scheduling The Baader Meinhof Complex (2008) which I found strangely compelling but did not change my belief that 'the only good terrorist is a dead one'. Polish actress Johanna Wokalek (below) played the stereotypical 1970s radical/terrorist to perfection.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSVCFhVP0f16RekK2HynoqPMMFNij7Gh38FKcvXiox0RhER42Iz

Kids here today so I expect to be watching 'The Yellow Submarine' and Doctor Who amongst many others. Happy Christmas. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - really didn't like it and couldn't wait for it to finally end.

After watching that movie I still couldn't tell you what it was about. Instant amnesia. I was expecting a comedy... was it ????

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,195 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

psychward wrote: »
    After watching that movie I still couldn't tell you what it was about. Instant amnesia. I was expecting a comedy... was it ????

It's a romance. A genre deconstruction. A poignant examination of the fragile nature of memory. An affectionate but satirical take on science fiction ideas. A cinematic commentary on traditional screenplay structures. A technical marvel. A character study. An acting, writing and directing masterclass.

And yes, it is often quite funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

It's a romance. A genre deconstruction. A poignant examination of the fragile nature of memory. An affectionate but satirical take on science fiction ideas. A cinematic commentary on traditional screenplay structures. A technical marvel. A character study. An acting, writing and directing masterclass.

And yes, it is often quite funny.

hmm maybe I should try watching it again when I'm not fatigued and want to switch my brain off. I didn't really enjoy Kill Bill either but then again I watched both movies while half asleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

watched zatoichi, hana bi and the life and death of colonel blimp so far this xmas
    tonight ill watch battle royale and memories of a murder
    tomorrow the secrets of their eyes, a matter of life and death and a muppets xmas carol

good times

Hana-bi's amazing! One of those films who's beauty catches up with you hours after you've just seen it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,195 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

hmm maybe I should try watching it again when I'm not fatigued and want to switch my brain off. I didn't really enjoy Kill Bill either but then again I watched both movies while half asleep.

Give it another go with your full, undivided attention (how all films need to be watched, really). I watched it when it first came out as a teenager and without a word of exaggeration it really changed the way I watch and engage with cinema. While everyone is more than entitled to their opinion, seeing it dismissed as merely 'boring' is a disappointing one.
    e_e wrote: »
    Hana-bi's amazing! One of those films who's beauty catches up with you hours after you've just seen it.

A fine film indeed. Got a Kitano boxset (happily devoid of the six or seven films of his I've already seen :)) yesterday so looking to catching up with some more of his filmography!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,181 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Best film I've ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

1900 - all 5 hours. Donald Sutherland stole the movie.

A fine film indeed. Got a Kitano boxset (happily devoid of the six or seven films of his I've already seen :)) yesterday so looking to catching up with some more of his filmography!

that the sonatine/zatoichi/dolls/hana bi box set?

I stupidly left sonatine and dolls at my apartment for the xmas break at my parents, been wanting to watch sonatine for the last 2 days.

slight change in movie plans for tonight, shall be watching rainbow song and all about lily chou chou.
    <3 me some shunji iwai

oh, and i watched a bittersweet life last night
    forgot how awesome that movie is. kinda tempted to watcfh it again today

It's a six film boxset of some of the lesser known ones - Scene at the Sea, Violent Cop, Kids Return etc... Sonatine is in it too, but I've only seen the first half hour before!

Check out Kikujiro if you haven't seen it - still my favourite from the man. And Outage is finally out on DVD and it's terrific fun.

yeah ive seen them, loved kikujiro and scene at the sea but for some reason I just couldn't get into violent cop. maybe it deserves a rewatch. I was the same with outrage. decent movie, but it just didn't grab me in the same way most of kitanos do, it was just a standard fare.. decent movie

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

True Grit -- watched it again yesterday. Love the cowboy films.

yeah ive seen them, loved kikujiro and scene at the sea but for some reason I just couldn't get into violent cop. maybe it deserves a rewatch. I was the same with outrage. decent movie, but it just didn't grab me in the same way most of kitanos do, it was just a standard fare.. decent movie

Will get back when I've given them a watch :) Saw Takeshis recently and wasn't best impressed so need some vintage Beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

My Neighbour Totoro and Ponyo.

Cannot stop google image searching Totoro - I love that guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Saw Arthur Christmas in the cinema today and it was one of the funniest christmas movies I've seen in a good while. Started off very well and while it got a bit weak in the middle it picked up again towards the end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Carry on abroad - funny enough effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Dr Bill

The entire series of Star Trek episodes featuring The Borg,not a film I know but great stuff all the same:rolleyes:. Going to see Sherlock Holmes later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Dr Bill wrote: »
    The entire series of Star Trek episodes featuring The Borg,not a film I know but great stuff all the same:rolleyes:. Going to see Sherlock Holmes later.

Is this the boxset your talking about, would love to get the Borg episodes?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Trek-Fan-Collective-Borg/dp/B000FII16W/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1324999977&sr=8-4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

The tournament - Bunch of hitmen take part in a survival tournament for money. Some good stunts but the story has been done before. Worth a watch though.

The Adjustment Bureau - Matt Damon stars. Unknown forces want him to make the correct choices in his path to a high profile job. One of the best films of 2011.

Sonatine - a surreal but inventive yakuza movie. Plot is a minor concern here, the emphasis instead on absurdist setpieces and a dreamlike tone punctuated by the odd burst of ultraviolence. Quite unlike anything else, it lacks the insight of the best Kitano movies but is still an endearing, charismatic and inventive work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Waterloo (1970) Okay I'm cheating here. I decided to just watch the epic battle of Sergei Bondarchuks Waterloo, 15,000 Soviet foot soldiers and 2,000 cavalrymen charging across the Ukraine countryside in a $30,000,000 production that makes any modern historical epic look like a kitchen sink drama.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Dr Bill

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Trek-Fan-Collective-Borg/dp/B000FII16W/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1324999977&sr=8-4[/Quote]

Yes all Borg episodes from Enterprise,Next Generation and Voyager. Purchased from your Amazon link.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Dr Bill wrote: »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Trek-Fan-Collective-Borg/dp/B000FII16W/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1324999977&sr=8-4

Yes all Borg episodes from Enterprise,Next Generation and Voyager. Purchased from your Amazon link.[/Quote]

Not available but seen it on Play for €17, cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Don't be afraid of the dark.
    I thought it was good.not very scary but good story and the creatures in it were very good to.but katie holmes was god awful there may as well have been a card board cut out of her there instead.

Snowtown
    Its based on the australian serial killer john bunting.its harrowing viewing but very well acted and an excellent movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭rednik

Apollo 18. Made on a small budget this is not a bad film but it could have been so much better. Worth a rent at best.

Cowboys and Aliens. Not as bad as I had imagined after all I had heard. Well made with great action and a good cast. Again worth a rent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement