Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Leap" into the unknown: The feedback thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The righthand validator should only be used where you are travelling over 13 stages (but not where outer suburban fares apply on routes 33/a, 65, 84 or 184).

It should be used on Xpresso services where you are travelling across 2 zones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tfcvgy

Used the automatic validator on Dublin Bus today and the screen said the fare was €2.40 :mad: - looks like DB are ahead of schedule for once :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Used the Leap Card for the first time yesterday. Twice on the Dart and twice on the bus. No problems with either. Card didn't slip off the bus scanner as some people mentioned here.

Think its alright at the minute. I don't really understand the complaints about the lack of features. A soft and phased launch is quite obviously the best way to go about introducing this technology. Attempting to pile everything on at once and then releasing it and hoping for the best would just be asking for disaster.

There are going to be teething problems no matter how much is spent. That's just how technology works. Hopefully they can all be resolved asap and we will see the next launch phases soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Used my leap on the bus for the first time today. What a joke, it takes about twice as long as a cash transaction. Does anyone think they'll ever bring in a flat fare?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

mmcn90 wrote: »
    Used my leap on the bus for the first time today. What a joke, it takes about twice as long as a cash transaction. Does anyone think they'll ever bring in a flat fare?

Considering that it should have been the very first item on the ITS agenda,I very much doubt that this simple,effective and eminently desirable element will ever be revisited now......It would involve many senior,sober suited,highly qualified (and paid) individuals having to admit..."We were wrong" :(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

It would also involve them writing a cheque and saying 'here's 50m euros a year' because that is what it would cost to cover the cost of setting the flat fare at a politically acceptable level. This is more likely to be the cause of their reluctance than stubbornness.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Ambp

Tried to top up my Leap card in a DART station yesterday, machine froze for about 3 mins after I put it in the pocket when prompted, so ended up just paying cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Ambp wrote: »
    Tried to top up my Leap card in a DART station yesterday, machine froze for about 3 mins after I put it in the pocket when prompted, so ended up just paying cash.

Im pretty sure you cant top up in Dart Stations yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Goonerette

tfcvgy wrote: »
    Used the automatic validator on Dublin Bus today and the screen said the fare was €2.40 :mad: - looks like DB are ahead of schedule for once :p
    Same thing happened to me yesterday. I thought the flat fare was supposed to be €2.20 until January 1st. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Have used the Leap card of the Luas a few times without issue.
    But I noticed you need to tag off on the rail within 90 minutes, this is way too short - my usual commute is Maynooth to Howth Jct. Normally takes 75 minutes or so in the morning, and up to 85 minutes in the evenings. Any delay at all pushes it over the 90 minute mark - like the bit of snow two weeks ago, took me almost 3 hours to get to work.
    Luckily I'm, not using the Leap card on the train (as I have my IR monthly commuter smartcard).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Interesting observation. Other cities seem to get around this by allowing certain travel windows based on zones. For example:
    1 zone = 60 mins
    2 zones = 90 mins
    3 zones = 120 mins

Kinda hard to implement given the arbitrary Irish Rail zone/stage hybrid system. Something simple like "All category E fares are allowed 120 minutes" could do the trick. On the IR website, it even states that the journey time is ~83 minutes. If you consider a minute or two buffer for tagging-on/off, plus a slight delay, you could easily be over the 90 minutes and €0.30 worse off.

(Incidentally, why is the "max deduction" €4.30 when the most expensive fare is just €4.00?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Been using my Leap card for a week or so now. It seems fine. Just a couple of observations though:

Why can't I use an Irish Rail machine to top up my card?

and when I look at my travel history online, it just says Luas or Dublin Bus - why couldn't they make it give the stop name or bus number etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 theskeptic

I topped up my Leap Card online with 20euro - giving a balance of 25euro. Screen asked me if I wanted to apply this top up at a Payzone outlet, Luas ticket validator or Irish Rail validator. I chose the Irish Rail option. The web site says it can take up to 48 hours for payment to go through (WTF?).

Over 48 hours later... I tried my Leap card in an Irish Rail ticket issuing machine in Clontarf Rd it didn't work (ok they kinda implied it would only work on ticket validator at gate). I went through gate and whey hey machine said my card had 25euro on it as expected. I got off at Harmonstown (2 stops away) and tagged-off - I saw the figure 16 flash past the validator and thought uh-oh... When I got home and looked up my Leap Card balance I got a screen saying that the balance on my card was 16.39euro - i.e. the trip from Clontarf Rd to Harmonstown had cost me >8.6 euro.

I contacted Leap Card customer care via email and they said that the excessive fare was an issue for Irish Rail and I should contact them! They said the balance can take 24 hours to update online - despite the fact that I checked the topup > 48 hours later and the trip DART trip > 24 hours later.

This has all the signs of a system that is NOT ready to be rolled out. Be warned: use Leap Card at your own risk. As for the promised future feature of being able to link the Leap Card to a direct debit - eh, no thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

theskeptic wrote: »
    I topped up my Leap Card online with 20euro - giving a balance of 25euro. Screen asked me if I wanted to apply this top up at a Payzone outlet, Luas ticket validator or Irish Rail validator. I chose the Irish Rail option. The web site says it can take up to 48 hours for payment to go through (WTF?).

Over 48 hours later... I tried my Leap card in an Irish Rail ticket issuing machine in Clontarf Rd it didn't work (ok they kinda implied it would only work on ticket validator at gate). I went through gate and whey hey machine said my card had 25euro on it as expected. I got off at Harmonstown (2 stops away) and tagged-off - I saw the figure 16 flash past the validator and thought uh-oh... When I got home and looked up my Leap Card balance I got a screen saying that the balance on my card was 16.39euro - i.e. the trip from Clontarf Rd to Harmonstown had cost me >8.6 euro.

I contacted Leap Card customer care via email and they said that the excessive fare was an issue for Irish Rail and I should contact them! They said the balance can take 24 hours to update online - despite the fact that I checked the topup > 48 hours later and the trip DART trip > 24 hours later.

This has all the signs of a system that is NOT ready to be rolled out. Be warned: use Leap Card at your own risk. As for the promised future feature of being able to link the Leap Card to a direct debit - eh, no thanks...

8.60 = 2 x 4.30 which suggests that you were tagged on twice rather than tagged on and tagged off. So you were charged 2 x maximum fares. This is inline with balance of 16.40. Ignore the .39 it's a rounding error..

This happened me a few weeks back when system was in test mode. Got a similar reply from Leap Customer Service. Irish Rail had no access Leap System at the time so could do nothing. I didn't pursue it as was able to get 2nd test card with €20 through another channel to compensate me.

If you register card on leapcard.ie you should get fuller picture of what actually happened.

You're right about system NOT being ready. Was shuffed out the door to meet political deadline.

Would be useful, from this threads perspective, if you fed back your success or lack of with Irish Rail.

Such an Irish solution that Leapcard Customer Service keep sending customers to individual operators to sort out charging errors. It's appalling really.
    blubloblu wrote: »
    If I tag on at the flat-fare pole, can I then ask the driver to give me an extra passenger ticket as well, or is it only if I've also paid the driver?

I understand that when you are doing this, both transactions are wit the driver only. Do not use the right hand validator. Your companion will get a paper ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

If I tag on at the flat-fare pole, can I then ask the driver to give me an extra passenger ticket as well, or is it only if I've also paid the driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 theskeptic

Thanks for that analysis (2 x 4.30 = 8.60) - explains how it might have happened.

I'll update on any feedback I get from Irish Rail. When I try to view history on Leap Card site I get following:

The application experienced unexpected problems completing your request. We're sorry for the inconvenience. Please try again later.

Which in fairness is accurate in so many ways :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Bumblebee Man

theskeptic wrote: »
    When I try to view history on Leap Card site I get following:

The application experienced unexpected problems completing your request. We're sorry for the inconvenience. Please try again later.

Getting the same message when trying to register my card.:rolleyes:

Just tried to top up my fiancé's card there - went to the top up online method, and it mentioned how you have to go to a machine to pick up the top up. Seriously? Top up online option yet you can't actually top up your account tonight and use it tomorrow morning on the bus into work? That makes no sense at all. When I top up my mobile phone I don't wait 48 hours before the credit is transferred.

Just seems ridiculous and pointless to send me into a shop when I'm purchasing the item online!

Dónal wrote: »
    Just tried to top up my fiancé's card there - went to the top up online method, and it mentioned how you have to go to a machine to pick up the top up. Seriously? Top up online option yet you can't actually top up your account tonight and use it tomorrow morning on the bus into work? That makes no sense at all. When I top up my mobile phone I don't wait 48 hours before the credit is transferred.

Just seems ridiculous and pointless to send me into a shop when I'm purchasing the item online!

Unfortunately you are misunderstanding what a smart card is. The balance of a smart card is stored on the card not online. As a bus does not have an online connection it can't update the card with you toped up balance. This is required to guarantee you can travel.

It can't be compared to mobile phone as balance of mobile is stored in a central server that requires a realtime IN connection or else your call is dropped.

All international smart card systems suffer from the same problem.

Solution is to wait for auto topup direct debit to be introduced which will mean you never need to topup manually.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,249 ✭✭✭✭Victor

lxflyer wrote: »
    That is correct. It will always charge EUR 2.20.

If you were going from UCD to Phoenix Park it is stage 66 going northbound. Phoenix Park is stage 81, which is 15 stages.

Cash fare = EUR 2.30
    Leap on Driver Machine = EUR 2.30 (Having requested the fare)
    Leap on Righthand Validator = EUR 2.20 (Automatic)

Post January 1:
    Cash fare = EUR 2.65
    Leap on Driver Machine = EUR 2.40 (Having requested the fare)
    Leap on Righthand Validator = EUR 2.40 (Automatic)
    The driver is unlikely to have a €2.40 button.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,249 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Aard wrote: »
    So Leap cards can be used on the Nitelink it seems. I wonder if the €2.20 "automatic" fare applies... :D
    It charges 5 euro regardless of driver or validator
    And €6 on Airlink, so if you have less than €1 on the card, you can't use it.
    AlekSmart wrote: »
    €4,600.....mmmmmmm

I'd love to see the sales stat's for that :D

Although,if we factor out the Nite/Air Links,could we then suggest a nice round figure of €4,000 per person as the cost of the DSP Free Travel Scheme....Hmmmmmm

€4,000 x 600,000 =€24,000,000 and that's not including the private's....?

Food for thought ?

Such a calculation isn't reasonable, not least that you are missing three zeros. :eek:

€4,000 x 600,000 =€24,000,000,000

Realistically, most users only use local services.
    sitstill wrote: »
    Why can't I use an Irish Rail machine to top up my card?
    Feature not enabled yet.
    and when I look at my travel history online, it just says Luas or Dublin Bus - why couldn't they make it give the stop name or bus number etc?
    Their argument is data protection. The transport operators only know the journey and transaction details, Leap know your ID, transport operator(s) and transaction amounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

€4,000 x 600,000 = €2,400,000,000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Getting the same message when trying to register my card.:rolleyes:

So was I but was told that there was a problem yesterday registering cards online.

To give credit where credit is due, I got a response yesterday on a bank holiday and another one at 730am today.

Same problem still occuring though.

Victor wrote: »
    The driver is unlikely to have a €2.40 button.

Well given the button is there right now (over 13 stages) I would be rather surprised if it vanished?

Yes indeed,that's why I deducted the €600 and rounded it down to an even €4,000...in the interests of fair play and all that...;)

You could probably round it back up to €4,600 as the DSP pass covers LUAS and many private operators, something the CIE All services ticket does not.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,667 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Well I see not much has changed since my initial ramblings on this a few weeks back...
    lxflyer wrote: »
    The righthand validator should only be used where you are travelling over 13 stages (but not where outer suburban fares apply on routes 33/a, 65, 84 or 184).

It should be used on Xpresso services where you are travelling across 2 zones.

Sorry but who the hell knows how many "stages" are in their journey or if they're travelling across multiple "zones" or if x applies to route y

Just to point out, I'm not having a go at you - just highlighting the ridiculous expectations that are apparently in play
    Given that Leap is currently highly unfriendly to users,these types of interaction may well become the norm...:(

Indeed... and that's why it'll ultimately fail - yet another Oirish solution to an Oirish problem

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Well I see not much has changed since my initial ramblings on this a few weeks back...

Sorry but who the hell knows how many "stages" are in their journey or if they're travelling across multiple "zones" or if x applies to route y

Just to point out, I'm not having a go at you - just highlighting the ridiculous expectations that are apparently in play

Indeed... and that's why it'll ultimately fail - yet another Oirish solution to an Oirish problem

Absolutely. However to be fair most regular users do know what the appropriate fare is - just not occasional users.

I still believe that (in the absence of a flat fare which is unlikely given the likely cost), that a simple zonal system is the best solution with the zone boundaries clearly indentified.

Victor wrote: »
    Such a calculation isn't reasonable, not least that you are missing three zeros. :eek:

Realistically, most users only use local services.

True to a point,but a substantial amount of DSP Free Pass holders are quite amenable to making full use of their "All Services" element.

The issue is the value ascribed to the Free Pass by the service provider itself.

I'm confident that of the REAL "All Services" pass holders,there will be many that do not use at least one of the modes regularly.

I'll readily agree that I'm sidelining the Leap thread,however I do think the issue of valuation is worth developing.

Something is seriously awry if,for example,the CIE group are not recieving an amount commensurate to what the companies value their services (and charge ordinary customers).

Kaiser2000:Just to point out, I'm not having a go at you - just highlighting the ridiculous expectations that are apparently in play

The most serious issue by far,for me,is how a magnificent one-time-only Golden Opportunity to attract NEW users to Public Transport has/is being lost due to sloppy ill focused management and political interference.

Leap's introduction,for Bus travel (the largest single user group by far) should have heralded a new era of ease-of-use,with Leapers being able to travel seamlessly and easily on Bus and in transfer mode.

That "Travel without Thought" mode is what will attract NEW users to the Bus Service.

Attempting to come to terms with a 19th Century Fare-Stage system,operated in semi-secret mode by a service provider who's own staff are uncertain of it's constituents will attract NO NEW CUSTOMER and may even drive away some current one's.

I feel quite strongly on this,as quite obviously the security of my job depends upon the ability to maintain and/or increase a level of patronage.

I find it incredible that the Government through it's representatives on Earth,the RPA,NTA and the ITB could not grasp how important getting the basics right was going to be.

LEAP as it currently stands is in dire ned of a rapid re-launch with some form of Big-Sticker selling point which will attract the NEW user we so badly need.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

I find it incredible that the Government through it's representatives on Earth,the RPA,NTA and the ITB could not grasp how important getting the basics right was going to be.

Only think government were interested in was the photo op.

201111211008222_sm.jpg

• Advertisement

robd wrote: »
    Only think government were interested in was the photo op.

201111211008222_sm.jpg

Hmmm,of that particular trio,Alan Kelly IS the only one I'd consider voting for !!!!! :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement