Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last of Us

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Its basically just another fecking zombie game. Only this time the zombies have mushrooms on their heads.

This genre has been done to death. Dead Island isnt even out a year and that was a huge disappointment. It will have to take a really good game for them to bring people back.

The fact its Naughty Dog is a good sign though. PS3 exclusives are usually done very well. Given its superior hardware :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

That looks AWESOME :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Love how everyone judges before full details have even been announced.

ha, big change of style and genre from Epic games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Its fairly obvious from the trailer what genre the game is pursuing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Exactly... not like nearly every other genre hasn't been done to death !

People that whinge about games before actually seeing the damn thing in action really annoy me.

+

New minecraft style game that doesn't look like **** ? yes please.

Hogzy wrote: »
    Its fairly obvious from the trailer what genre the game is pursuing.

I could tell that it's not gonna be anything like Dead Island. Sounds more like Enslaved, with zombie-esque things...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Anyone got a stream to the vga awards?
    Absolutely every stream i come across is saying "not available in your country" ... there was no problems last year tho.

LighterGuy wrote: »
    Anyone got a stream to the vga awards?
    Absolutely every stream i come across is saying "not available in your country" ... there was no problems last year tho.

It's almost over now man. You'll need a VPN or a firefox add on to watch it.

• Advertisement

serious pair of **** me boots on your one!

just managed to get a stream.
    Ah sucks, didnt know it started at 1. thought it was 2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Could be good, could be bad. All I know is that I'm sick to death of zombie games just like I'm sick to death of done to death genres like tower defence, twin stick shooters and linear FPS games. It will take more than adding in a young girl to shoehorn in some supposed emotional depth to get me interested.

ha, Hideo totally messed up!!!

anyway, that trailer was the highlight of the show, along with the reveal that naughty dog is behind the last of us!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Could be good, could be bad. All I know is that I'm sick to death of zombie games just like I'm sick to death of done to death genres like tower defence, twin stick shooters and linear FPS games. It will take more than adding in a young girl to shoehorn in some supposed emotional depth to get me interested.

But as Magill said, nearly every genre of game has been overdone at this point. The only thing we can hope for is that a dev takes a pre-existing genre and trys to come at it from a different angle. I'll give Naughty Dog the benefit of the doubt here and hope that they come up with something great.

TBH,
    The last of us just looks like a 'I am Legend' video game.

LighterGuy wrote: »
    TBH,
    The last of us just looks like a 'I am Legend' video game.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75898637&postcount=41

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

Dead Island was a great game just put aside the bugs... I don't care if it's like it though, but hope they go to 3rd person route ND animations are just too smexy for first person. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

But as Magill said, nearly every genre of game has been overdone at this point. The only thing we can hope for is that a dev takes a pre-existing genre and trys to come at it from a different angle. I'll give Naughty Dog the benefit of the doubt here and hope that they come up with something great.

It's not the genre it's the whole zombie theme. It's like the World War 2 setting at the start of the last decade. Who knows, maybe it will do what Call of Duty did back then and surprise me but at the moment I can't get excited about another zombie game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

The last zombie game i played was L4D(1). So not really that bored of the theme at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

This doesn't look, gameplay wise, like it's going to be a L4D or Dead Island (haven't played the latter but from what I've seen).

I mean, she's picking individual bullets out of your man's hand. A pretty big hint that this will be more about strategic survival than mowing down hordes of zombies.

The vibe seems more 'The Road' than L4D.

Then again, maybe they'll just happen to stumble upon a massive weapons cache mid-way through the game for a particular level ;)

Anyway, it looks incredible. Reinforces to me that Sony doesn't need a new machine any time soon. This will probably be a more impressive game visually than most of the first games on new hardware next year, and on a cheaper box too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Good trailer. I still have hope for the survival horror genre. Naughty Dog are a decent developers so I'm sure it'll be a good game but whether it'll be a good survivial horror is another story. Surely a studio somewhere has been listening to the fans of the declining genre and will come up with the goods. Although it might be a case of be careful what you wish for!:pac:

As I've said on the Resident Evil forum, gameplay mechanincs have to evolve but what needs to be retained is atmosphere and judging by the enviroments alone form the trailer it looks like it might've gotten that right.

No gameplay has been shown yet though. Dead Island looked like a very different game when its first trailer was shown

• Registered Users Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Uncharted set in a Dead Island/I Am Legend theme with emphasis on survival horror over action. I'll buy it. Fook it, i'll buy it anyway. Naughty Dog are fantastic developers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hmm... pretty tech but we need another zombie game like we need - if you'll excuse the completely intentional pun - a hole in the head.

That said, if they follow through with the suggestion that this will indeed be a game about survival rather than old-fashioned genocide, there's the potential it will be something different.

And setting a game years after an outbreak is at least somewhat of a novelty. And it's Naughty Dog.

But still - really wish this zombie phase would make like a brainless drone and receive a swift shotgun blast to the noggin.

Somehow didn't notice this, but the first thing that he kills in the trailer is actually a human, not an infected. So we'll be fighting both the infected and other people. Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

To many zombie/horror survival games coming out these days. To many stolen ideas in that trailer. Looks like its even set in New York just like IamLegend. Plus it sounded like Nolan North is doing the VO for the guy in the trailer? Although there might be some interesting game mechanics between the two characters which would be nice.

So far the only thing this game has going for it is the strength of the developers name

Ashley Johnson is playing Ellie and Troy Baker is playing Joel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    No gameplay has been shown yet though. Dead Island looked like a very different game when its first trailer was shown

Was that the trailer of the little girl falling outta the hotel room window in a real cinematic way? That promised so much...& what did we get? The gaming equivalent of the X Factor

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I could tell that it's not gonna be anything like Dead Island. Sounds more like Enslaved, with zombie-esque things...

Funny you said that cause enslaved lead designer working on this with naughty dog

http://playstationlifestyle.net/2011/12/11/enslaved-lead-designer-working-on-naughty-dogs-the-last-of-us/

Advertisement