Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2011/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭only one

s5fgat.jpg:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Boooooooo! From all in the south east

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

s5fgat.jpg:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

That would be hail

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Has anyone here put on the snow tyres yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭wing52

Pangea wrote: »
    Has anyone here put on the snow tyres yet.

Yup!

4 petlas w6510's.

Fairly soft sidewalls,so taking the corners a good bit easier:)

Good deep tread so puddles and standing water is no drama.

Well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Most Snow Tyres perform best from under 8c, above that and your going to wear them quickly.

FYI: http://www.nratraffic.ie/weather/default.asp?regionid=0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mcriot29

The AO is showing no signs at the moment of going Negative , hopefully its starts to show over the next few runs

182943.png
    Hi pistol i have just got a email from peirs corbyn weatheraction i asked him how can there be strong cold when the Ao is so high heres what he sent me back dont make anysense to me
    John I was informed to day that the AO had gone quickly negative
    Thanks
    Piers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

mcriot29 wrote: »
    Hi pistol i have just got a email from peirs corbyn weatheraction i asked him how can there be strong cold when the Ao is so high heres what he sent me back dont make anysense to me
    Thanks
    Piers

What a chancer! Who told him that, the Tooth Fairy? And does he not check these things himself?

wing52 wrote: »
    Yup!

4 petlas w6510's.

Fairly soft sidewalls,so taking the corners a good bit easier:)

Good deep tread so puddles and standing water is no drama.

Well worth it.

Thanks. I might put on mine soon.

Hopefully temperatures wont be above 8C too often over the winter.
    Its given 4C for Northern areas tomorrow.
    Even if there isnt much snow the tyres will be good for grip in the frost etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Pangea wrote: »
    Thanks. I might put on mine soon.

Hopefully temperatures wont be above 8C too often over the winter.
    Its given 4C for Northern areas tomorrow.
    Even if there isnt much snow the tyres will be good for grip in the frost etc.

There not really ment for the frost,in dry weather they wear fast too,I think everyone jumped on the band wagon this year,did people really think we would get the same as last year lol , didn't they buy 3 times as much salt this year too! Maybe they drink a lot off tea :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

mcriot29 wrote: »
    Thanks
    Piers

Now I'm an amuetuer , amuetuer chart reader but its pretty clear to see that it's strongly positive AO at present or am I missing something ???

And to boot it was not on the charts to change in the next week or so .

Su does the AO chart run on the model timeline or just once a day ?

MCRIOT email him back with the chart or a screen shot of it and ask him to explain .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Now I'm an amuetuer , amuetuer chart reader but its pretty clear to see that it's strongly positive AO at present or am I missing something ???

And to boot it was not on the charts to change in the next week or so .

Su does the AO chart run on the model timeline or just once a day ?

MCRIOT email him back with the chart or a screen shot of it and ask him to explain .

It is compiled each day using the 00Z observations, so last night's one is the most recent, and has not "gone quickly negative" by any stretch of the imagination (except Corbyn's!). I think we should coin that phrase the Corbyn Cop-out!

ao.obs.gif

davidsr20 wrote: »
    There not really ment for the frost,in dry weather they wear fast too,I think everyone jumped on the band wagon this year,did people really think we would get the same as last year lol , didn't they buy 3 times as much salt this year too! Maybe they drink a lot off tea :)

From what I heard they improve grip on ice.
    Also "Snow tyres provide more small-tread areas, increasing traction on snow and, in wet conditions, allowing water to escape from under the tire more easily. This reduces the risk of hydroplaning" - Wikipedia
    I think its good for people who travel to work every day, better to be prepared especially in areas around here in Donegal.
    From the looks of things the salt might come in handy in January if the forecasts come true. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭jimmy.d

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭StormGazer.11

Most winter tyres are designed for all winter conditions which includes frost. The difference between a winter tyre and a summer tyre is not just the thread depth it is also the rubber compound they are made from, Summer tyres start to harden at temps below 8 degrees reducing traction which when coupled with the lower thread depth doesn't help but the winter tyres won't harden up and maintain far better traction. And they will not wear out unduly fast, obviously taking them off for the summer is advisable but they could be left on they will increase breaking distance however in temperatures over approx 15 degrees I think. One draw back is if you get winter tyres with weak side walls, it just means you need to be abit your careful cornering etc.

I've got a set of Nankang reinforced 16's on my car and they're brilliant tyres, I'd recommend them, not too expensive either, the were 70 quid each! Seriously hoping it snows now though so I can make use of them I'm snow rather then rain :D and so I can get in the old "I told you so" because my friends told me I was mad! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Ok having another look here now from last time and the moderate La Nina signal seems to be kicking in for Dec as i mentioned back in the thread. Due to a lag effect from weak to moderate La Nina.So we'll see how this one shapes up the month. Will it be a North Westerly influence for majority of month.I reckon so.
    Might not be a perfect match but the overall set up could be there
    71256.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

This is looking very very bad for cold weather folks :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Wild Bill wrote: »

What is ?

Quote what you are talking about or back it up with some information/charts .

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Caff Caff

Wild Bill wrote: »

Nonsense!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Eh they're caller winter tyres. Pretty damn sure we'll have winter this year, as always.
    Mine went on on Sunday. Bring on the cold and snow and ice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

kenmc wrote: »
    Eh they're caller winter tyres. Pretty damn sure we'll have winter this year, as always.
    Mine went on on Sunday. Bring on the cold and snow and ice.

Arf! Winter as in Sweden or Nebraska - not Ireland. Malta has a winter, would you stick on winter tyres down there? Right now people with winter grade tyres are just wearing out expensive rubber.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Matt has updated with EC monthly outlook and its seems to follow the above chart i post as regard how Dec will pan out.

The latest ECM 32 day paints a poor picture for December or at least 2/3 of it. The trend evident from the last update end of the last week continues today and that is for high pressure to be dominant to the west or southwest and for low pressure to be dominant to the north or northeast. There is a trend as well for high pressure to become more influential towards mid-month and actually build into parts of the uk, but it builds in from the west or southwest and would never lead to any substantial cold weather.

The ECM MJO forecast as well out to 20 days continues to show good agreement for a weak phase 4/5 event before becoming potentially near neutral towards day 20. No doubt a scenario which would not help to change the broader pattern in any way. It sure does look like being overall a very bland and a more "typical" December across the uk this year and I certainly won't be putting money on a white Christmas!...Remarkably the stratosphere continues to cool to well below average values and there is little sign of any broader change across the pole which may lead to a greater risk of northern blocking.

As a few have mentioned on here if any cold or marked change in Synoptics is likely to take place then it would seem that late Dec or Jan will be best, but clearly that's a long way off.

Matt
    Matthew Hugo BSc(Hons), FRMetS
    Meteorologist

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

There is so much mixed opinions in here it's hard to get ur head around it, some saying cold others saying mild :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its staying mild side of typical with just the odd colder day for as far as anyone can plausibly predict.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Caff Caff

mike65 wrote: »
    Arf! Winter as in Sweden or Nebraska - not Ireland. Malta has a winter, would you stick on winter tyres down there? Right now people with winter grade tyres are just wearing out expensive rubber.

You guys could always set up a WINTER TYRE Thread if you like... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

There is so much mixed opinions in here it's hard to get ur head around it, some saying cold others saying mild :confused:

First half of December will be exactly that. Cold, mild, cold, mild....Never cold enough for widespread snowfall though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 slingshot

I put the Winter tyres on the car on Sunday!

mike65 wrote: »

Malta is a sensational comparison. Malta didn't get sustained snow and cold like us the past two winters whereas we did get winter weather like Sweden or Nebraska.

The month ahead looks like being a mixed bag of cold and mild, if it was looking like mild for the whole month then I would say leave the snow tyres off for the time being but hearing M.T. saying theres a risk of heavy snow next weekend makes me want to put them on sooner. Better to be prepared anyway esp if you live in a rural area where it snows more than other areas.

"However, the safety gains made at this time of year could outweigh the potential extra cost. Even if it doesn’t snow."
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/motors/2010/1201/1224284474032.html

Heres a quote from the link above.
    "However, there should be significant benefits even when the roads are clear. Most tyre manufacturers offer wider tread patterns on their winter tyres that clear water more effectively than normal tyres. Winter tyres will also grip a cold, dry road better. Regular tyres wear out more quickly when they are cold and hard."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    First half of December will be exactly that. Cold, mild, cold, mild....Never cold enough for widespread snowfall though.
    Thats pretty much it.Some hill snow at times that hardly anyone will see but there may be a few short lived 24/36hr northerly incursions that might bring a few snow showers to lower ground up north and north west and possibly along the west coast.
    The mighty ecm is not to be dissed.
    Matt Hugo is a weather enthusiast that happens to work for a private weather forecasting service iirc.He has access to all the ecm ensemble data,the on the whole usually most reliable nwp tool of the lot in my opinion.
    Ok the others aren't bad and handy to use in a blending forecast mix together with human forecasting experience [sometimes as you know weather forecasters look at all of the models,concentrate on one or two usually but use a lot of their own intuition built up through years of experience to come up with a forecast]...but the mighty ecm is not to be dissed.

That said if the average of their solutions is to have a high meandering out west,and nao does eventually go nicely negative towards the end of december,that high could tilt to suck down cold air wanting to head south west as pressure builds over the artic/greenland.The same high out to our west being part of what drives warm air up greenland way building higher pressure up there.

Anyhow...no significant winter weather before christmas is what we are looking at I think for the moment.
    After that who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Like Ireland and UK, a milder than average November also is being experienced in the eastern USA and New England. A record-high temperature of 21.1c was recorded during Sunday and Monday at Washington's Dulles International Airport.

Meanwhile southern US states are experiencing very rare snowfalls. A winter storm advisory has been issued for Memphis today. There have been only three days with snow in Memphis in November since 1875.

scaled.php?tn=0&server=878&filename=62654756.png&xsize=640&ysize=640

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Sleet reported in NAVAN :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement