Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

4 months.

Interesting, Traffic division told me I'd have it within 10-12 days if I'd been detected exceeding the limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

That Garda van is always there along the quay next to guiness ..... Does be hiding behind trucks along the right hand side too.

I treat that road like there's a permanent speed camera on it... 50kph all the way.

Can't wait for people to overtake me and get ripped

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

robbie_998 wrote: »
    Can't wait for people to overtake me and get ripped

That's not nice :(

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wexfordian

Couple of statistics from Garda website (these may have been mentioned before, if so apologies):

Total tickets issued in 2010 for speeding: 157k
    Total tickets issued to June 2011 for speeding: 160k (so will more then double this year)

Penalties issued for other offences remain broadly the same (though mobile fines up slightly)

Total deaths to 9/11/10 196
    Total deaths to 9/11/11 159

Not definitive of course, the death rate has been falling since the RSA was set up in 2005, but interesting.

Source

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,159 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

runjb wrote: »
    Just driving out of dublin along the quays tonight. Passed a garda van, parallel with another car and there was a flash. Does that mean we were caught?

I was going max 55km in a 50km zone.. Do they flash automatically or?

I was on the quays this morning doing about 40 and I saw a flash ahead. The guy ahead was going much faster - does anyone know if 'your' flash comes as you pass or before you get to them?
    I'm hoping it was for him, not in a schadenfreude kind of way. I'm never clear when you're supposed to be out of the 35 zone on the quays.

• Advertisement

Wexfordian wrote: »

Not definitive of course, the death rate has been falling since the RSA was set up in 2005, but interesting.

Source

While it's great that the death rate is falling, the RSA shouldn't be slapping themselves on the back too enthusiastically for it, the numbers of road users has tumbled year on year since 2007 and our population is a couple of hundred thousand less now too. I reckon the rate is pretty much near as low as it's going to go and should remain relatively static for the next couple of years.

Andrew33 wrote: »
    While it's great that the death rate is falling, the RSA shouldn't be slapping themselves on the back too enthusiastically for it, the numbers of road users has tumbled year on year since 2007 and our population is a couple of hundred thousand less now too. I reckon the rate is pretty much near as low as it's going to go and should remain relatively static for the next couple of years.

Blow me but the figures are hard to track down, but insofar as I can find official figures, they are:

Billion passengers per km
    2006 52.04
    2007 54.77
    2008 56.59

Doesn't include haulage, and doesn't seem to be figures for 09 and 10. But certainly up to 08 they weren't tumbling, in fact they were increasing by circa 2 billion pkm per annum.

Source

As for population estimate figures of population change are ('000):

2007 +106.1
    2008 +83.1
    2009 +37.1
    2010 +11.4

a net increase in population of a couple of hundred thousand.

Source

Blow me but the figures are hard to track down, but insofar as I can find official figures, they are:

2006 52.04
    2007 54.77
    2008 56.59

Doesn't include haulage, and doesn't seem to be figures for 09 and 10. But certainly up to 08 they weren't tumbling, in fact they were increasing by circa 2 billion pkm per annum.

Source

2007 +106.1
    2008 +83.1
    2009 +37.1
    2010 +11.4

Source

I'll concede the point up to 2008 but every dog on the street knows there's less journeys being made (450,000 less people commuting to work adds up to a huge amount of lost pkm).

There is practically zero construction traffic (responsible for a lot of deaths and injuries on the roads during the boom years).
    The haulage industry has pretty much collapsed!

I think we can accept that since 2008 the level of traffic has plummeted and this has contributed most to the fall in death rates.

As to the population figures, it's hard to know, it was claimed that during the boom years there were up to a half a million illegals in the country, they've mostly all moved on to better economic climates so in real terms the population has fallen.

Rgds

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Source

The death rate has always been falling, nothing to do with the RSA being set up:

DeathsPerMillionRegVehicles.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Anyone know what the legality of a Go Safe van being stopped in the hard shoulder of a motorway is?

Passed one on the M9 yesterday morning, just between Kilcullen and the M7 merge. I had the cruise control on and it was set to 129 kmh. I'm really hoping I wasn't done. Didn't see a flash, but I know that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Anyone know what the legality of a Go Safe van being stopped in the hard shoulder of a motorway is?

Passed one on the M9 yesterday morning, just between Kilcullen and the M7 merge. I had the cruise control on and it was set to 129 kmh. I'm really hoping I wasn't done. Didn't see a flash, but I know that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

On a motorway? That's just taking the pi**.

Good point and why should it be legal for them if it isn't for us? Not exactly an emergency..

Do you not know that laws and regulations are only for the little people and don't apply to the states revenue collectors??
    You should be ok at 129 but would you not set your cruise to 125 in future just to be safe? 4kph isn't going to save you a huge amount of time on your overall journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

they are not allowed to stop on a motorway. Cause they are civillian operated. guards are the only ones allowed to do so
    Parking on the hard shoulder is only permitted in the event of a breakdown or medical emergency, driving on the hard shoulder will incur one penalty point and an €80 fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

2006 52.04
    2007 54.77
    2008 56.59

Source

2007 +106.1
    2008 +83.1
    2009 +37.1
    2010 +11.4

Source
    Your source states the Irish figures are estimates only.

Tragedy wrote: »
    Your source states the Irish figures are estimates only.

Yes, I said they were in the post? Probably still a better guide the anecdotal though? Not sure of your point tbh.

Edit: Actually are you referring to the pkm figures, if so then yes looking back at the figures they are estimates but they are as near as can find to official. I did say "insofar as I can find" though...

Yes, I said they were in the post? Probably still a better guide the anecdotal though? Not sure of your point tbh.

Edit: Actually are you referring to the pkm figures, if so then yes looking back at the figures they are estimates but they are as near as can find to official. I did say "insofar as I can find" though...

what has this got to do with speed cameras this is a speed camera thread!!

Death Rates falling since RSA was set up and speed was targeted --> no they aren't --> yes they are --> these figures say they didn't --> etc.

Reasonably on point I think?

Own estimates have mainly been produced to get an idea of the EU total. At the
    level of individual countries, they are merely indicative and should by no means be (mis-)interpreted as "official" data.
    Your post in no way stated they were estimates, and sounded like they were pretty definitive in refuting another poster's belief that less miles in total were being driven due to recession.
    The RSA likes to claim that all reductions in deaths/accidents/anything they like are as a result of them and their policies. Some posters buy in to this and regurgitate it on boards. Which is a pet peeve of quite a few posters.

E.g. December 2010, when the roads were virtually impassable for most of it, AGS(and I think RSA) claimed the small amount of road deaths in that month were due to the new GoSafe vans. Not the weather.

:rolleyes:

Tragedy wrote: »
    Your post in no way stated they were estimates, and sounded like they were pretty definitive in refuting another poster's belief that less miles in total were being driven due to recession.

But you had no problem whatsoever with an unsubstantiated "gut" statement that road numbers were tumbling which was being used to definitively refute a point on the death rates? Fair enough.

I thought the figures were an interesting point of data, I'm not getting into a heated back and forth on it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

The death rate has always been falling,
    And the injury rate? And how many people are afraid to cross the road, or ride a bicycle because of speeding drivers?

The whole picture...please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Saw a police car pulled in here
    http://g.co/maps/b2ndd
    and a speed camera set up on that concrete driveway bit on the Naas Road outbound last week. Keep an eye on your speed along there. Was about 10pm and dark when I saw it.

But you had no problem whatsoever with an unsubstantiated "gut" statement that road numbers were tumbling which was being used to definitively refute a point on the death rates? Fair enough.

Someone else's mistakes don't excuse yours. You claimed facts that didn't actually exist. Just like the RSA :D

Death Rates falling since RSA was set up and speed was targeted --> no they aren't --> yes they are --> these figures say they didn't --> etc.

Reasonably on point I think?

no none of the statistics are true.just talking aload of bull. you gave no proof.you were only guessing about the no's u showed

And the injury rate? And how many people are afraid to cross the road, or ride a bicycle because of speeding drivers?

The whole picture...please.

Causing trouble again:cool::cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Causing trouble again:cool::cool:

Attack the post, not the poster please.

no none of the statistics are true.just talking aload of bull. you gave no proof.you were only guessing about the no's u showed

I wasn't going to get involved any further, but what are you on about? I've sourced all the figures I've used, even if one if the sets was actually an estimate, not official (so shoot me, I'd trawled through a lot of websites at that stage to find any data, didn't notice they were estimates). Unless you think all the websites are making up the figures for the laugh?

I wasn't going to get involved any further, but what are you on about? I've sourced all the figures I've used, even if one if the sets was actually an estimate, not official (so shoot me, I'd trawled through a lot of websites at that stage to find any data, didn't notice they were estimates). Unless you think all the websites are making up the figures for the laugh?

you did not say that did, u said they were facts i was just telling you.
    'Actually are you referring to the pkm figures, if so then yes looking back at the figures they are estimates but they are as near as can find to official. I did say "insofar as I can find" though...'
    i thought u said you did not know they were estimates..

would not surprise me on half the websites/ half the data on the RSA websites is wrong or out of Date by 5 to 6yrs.
    lot of roads &motorways built during then....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

spurious wrote: »
    I was on the quays this morning doing about 40 and I saw a flash ahead. The guy ahead was going much faster - does anyone know if 'your' flash comes as you pass or before you get to them?
    I'm hoping it was for him, not in a schadenfreude kind of way. I'm never clear when you're supposed to be out of the 35 zone on the quays.

Its as you pass them, as in when you are pretty much "on top" of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

A general rule of thumb would be 1 car length away for lane 1, two car lengths for lane 2, 3 car lengths for lane 3 etc.

The radar beam is directed across the road at 22 degrees and the camera lens is at the same angle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,703 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

I've heard that the marked vans snap your speed from the front of your car, then take a pic of the rear...is that true?

Just curious :confused:

Advertisement