Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tired of paying 29.99€ for 12 protein bars ? TRY THIS!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

Locust wrote: »
    Just made a batch of the OP recipe - with flaxseed/goji berries for that 'superfood' kick...
    (this stuff - can't remember where i got it - it was pricey enough though)
    http://www.evergreen.ie/linwoods-milled-flaxseed--goji-berries/003046pd.aspx
    Great idea for those on shift work/irregular routine etc...

Aldi do this stuff great value too

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gymsoldier

Can we get this thread a Sticky and name it Healthy Recipes or something similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

gymsoldier wrote: »
    Can we get this thread a Sticky and name it Healthy Recipes or something similar?

There was one - very dormant so it was unstickied. It's called the healthy suop and stew thread

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

I made these and they came out great. Thanks a million for sharing OP. I would say use a little less water than suggested as its very sticky when mixing but once the mixture was in the freezer bag I was able to flatten out and freeze with no problems.

I wrap them individually and take them out as needed. The bars themselves are a little soft but once wrapped in tinfoil it doesn't matter and the texture for eating is perfect and they really do taste great. The fact they are kinda soft is to be expected as texture wise they are like the inside of a snickers with the tougher outer layers stripped away.

If you could find a way to put some kind of healthy outer coating on the bar to firm the whole thing up you should market and sell them they are that good OP.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭muffinn

Can't believe this thread is still alive :D

Glad you all enjoy it!

I have few more healthy and tasty recipes, might take some pictures while doing them and post it when I find some time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭sonic85

just came across this thread - those bars look great! i eat a flapjack every day in work but im gonna start making these instead. would cashews work instead of almonds? love cashews

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I'm sure the OP would kill me if they saw how much I messed with their recipe but I found this when looking for a slightly healthier flapjack for school. I only just stuck them in the freezer but from eating the remainder of the bowl, all I can say is Y-U-M! Fantastic :D
    And wooden spoons ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭imalwayshappy

Hi Muffinn

Can i ask what make of protein powder your using? 25g per bar seems like a lot!

Cheers Mate!!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭muffinn

Hi Muffinn

Can i ask what make of protein powder your using? 25g per bar seems like a lot!

Cheers Mate!!

Just simple whey protein powder from MyProtein, although there is only around 20g of protein per bar that comes from the protein powder.
    The remaining 5 grams comes from the small amount of non-animal protein that can be found in peanut butter, almonds and oats.

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

I just tried this today and they didnt turn out as well expected. They tasted lovely but just too sticky and messy for me.

does anyone has a version thats more biscuit or cookie like? (baked and dry etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Limousine Fred

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭alan89

How did I miss this thread!! Love it!! Will be trying it later in the week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

BrianjG wrote: »
    I just tried this today and they didnt turn out as well expected. They tasted lovely but just too sticky and messy for me.

does anyone has a version thats more biscuit or cookie like? (baked and dry etc)

I make variations of these - they turn out a bit like brownies.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64287769&postcount=2

I use different nuts/nut butters each time for variety

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Limousine Fred

sammye333 wrote: »
    LIMOUSINE FRED. I keep mine in the freezer and take out an hour before eating. I bought some plastic containers and just put one in for my drive to work. :D
    Cheers for advice not gonna bother making them again they tasted like $hit ne way tbh defo not like a snickers.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

I'm trying to lose weight. Would these bars be ok as the odd breakfast? Also, I've never used protein powders or anything (always reminds me of bodybuilding types), is it a natural product?

They look yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

boogle wrote: »
    I'm trying to lose weight. Would these bars be ok as the odd breakfast? Also, I've never used protein powders or anything (always reminds me of bodybuilding types), is it a natural product?

They look yum!

Protein powders (look for whey protein) are generally derived from milk. So it's natural.

As for whether they'd be good as a breakfast if you're trying to lose weight, well just add them into your calorie allowance for the day. If you go under your calorie allowance you'll lose weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭double GG

Finally found this thread again.

I'm planning on making these bars pretty soon, I really can't wait as they sound really really tasty!!

Thanks OP and to everyone with their suggestions! Time to hit the kitchen!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭chris139ryan

im well making these the weekend, your a legend posting this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

This is prob dumb question buy is there anything cheaper than the whey protein as I am strapped broke and can't afford to buy the whey!!

Any cheaper alternatives or where can I get cheap protein?? Very cheap!!

Cheers,

frAG

just made this now and they have been in the freezer for over an hour cant wait to try them :D

• Advertisement

frag420 wrote: »
    This is prob dumb question buy is there anything cheaper than the whey protein as I am strapped broke and can't afford to buy the whey!!

Any cheaper alternatives or where can I get cheap protein?? Very cheap!!

Cheers,

frAG

you could try holland and barrets whey they are cheap enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Made these yesterday. Nice but not outstanding. Might have something to do with the protein I uses tho, it's a very weird texture and not very nice (milk & egg protein from h&b)

just tasted mine there they are delicious, im using on gold standard whey

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I've only got banana protein at the moment, if I mixed in some coco powder would it make it all chocolately and nice? If so, how much?

Gonna make these durign the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Mack_1111

Just tried them, savage :):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

Has anyone tried making these with Strawberry or Vanilla whey protein?

What make/brand of chocolate whey protein powder do people use to make these?

I'm currently on a low carb diet so I'd just have to be careful with these, they might have quite a bit of sugar from the maple syrup??

Sorry for the newbie questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭tiernanobrien

Just thought I'd add a little twist onto this. First time a made them they were a bit gooey so i put them in the over for 20 minutes and they came out hard protein bars which are as delish. Theyre bigger too coz the oats expand. very impressed with the recipe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Going to try these soon, although have to order whey for the first time first! Think I'll try a little virgin coconut oil in the mix in lieu of honey/syrup... not sure if it would act as well as a binding agent, but sure worth a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Mack_1111

G-Money wrote: »
    Has anyone tried making these with Strawberry or Vanilla whey protein?

What make/brand of chocolate whey protein powder do people use to make these?

I'm currently on a low carb diet so I'd just have to be careful with these, they might have quite a bit of sugar from the maple syrup??

Sorry for the newbie questions.

I used Maximuscle promax choclate and it worked out fine, but any brand of whey should do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Paigne

Hanley wrote: »
    I've only got banana protein at the moment, if I mixed in some coco powder would it make it all chocolately and nice? If so, how much?

Gonna make these durign the week.

How did that end up Hanley?? You got me thinking of bars with banana protein and nutella...... :pac:

Advertisement