Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Bargains (not Freebies)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,726 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

half price keys though? BF3 for $25? That's almost worth letting Origin have my urine sample.

As I said elsewhere, got this EA mail this morning, probably because I played Spore four years ago:

Your EA account is now called an Origin Account.
    Your login and password are the same, and all EA account information is in your Origin account.
    Origin is the new name of the EA Store™.
    Browse and purchase EA titles quickly and easily with exclusive pre-order offers.
    The EA Download Manager is now also called Origin.
    Use it to download and play PC games from anywhere in the world.
    Origin lives where you live.
    On your mobile phone, desktop, or the web. Origin is always there.
    Origin knows where you live.
    EA employees are entitled to show up to your home and/or workplace, crack open your chest and feed on the sweet, sweet life nectar inside at their convenience.

Copy & pasted, word for word.
    174852.GIF

Well thats comforting. Thanks C&C First Decade, Mass Effect 2. Thanks a lot.

I have a big issue with this actually: I never Agreed to the Origin terms and conditions, but this throws me into them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Aren't most of the CD key sites a bit 'iffy' though? Legal grey area? I know savings are savings, but you really don't know what you're getting and from who! No reason to doubt Origin might start banning dodgy keys like steam sometimes do.

best thing to do is email the publisher.

Did it with Stardock once, found a stupid-cheap Sins key, but they told me it was not an authorized reseller, thanked me for spotting it, and I got a free copy from them regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Helix wrote: »
    every download is only a lost sale to them publically, behind the scenes they know very well that a tiny percentage of downloads are actually costing them sales

Let's hope legislators aren't willing to take those figures at face value.
    if i want to play BF3 on PC, ill gladly buy it on origins. However i sure as hell won't install it or use their system to play it. ea will be getting my money, ill be getting the game, and origins will be getting no data from my computer

Will it be necessary to install Origin to play Bf3 online?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Fnz wrote: »

Will it be necessary to install Origin to play Bf3 online?

apparently it will be necessary to install origin to play BF3 full stop, which is unacceptable in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

apparently it will be necessary to install origin to play BF3 full stop, which is unacceptable in my opinion

why is it unacceptable? all valve games require steam?

Burgo wrote: »
    why is it unacceptable? all valve games require steam?

have you read the terms and conditions for origins?

have you read the terms and conditions for origins?

Yes, and they revised the eula late last month to be considerably less menacing.

Yes, and they revised the eula late last month to be considerably less menacing.

yet it still says they're entitled to have a good old snoop around your computer whenever they want, not limited to EA related products

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

That's what I thought. Your post confused me - thought you knew of a way to play Bf3 without installing Origin.

Seems to be nothing more than a re-wording, for all intents and purposes.

Fnz wrote: »
    That's what I thought. Your post confused me - thought you knew of a way to play Bf3 without installing Origin.

you could take the approach i mentioned of legitimately buying the game on origins, but not installing it, and then downloading it elsewhere. but its not legit, so i wouldnt recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,408 ✭✭✭Nollog

Mirror's Edge daily deal
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/17410/
    2.50 is a steal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Never heard of elite cd keys before...

Bought Space Marine from them, had the key within the hour.

Most of these places have facebook pages, just check them out to see if they have a reasonable following.

yet it still says they're entitled to have a good old snoop around your computer whenever they want, not limited to EA related products

Posted this in another thread, shows exactly what origin snoops.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Mirror's Edge daily deal
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/17410/
    2.50 is a steal.

Was that only a daily deal? gone back to 9.99 for me now :(

it was $5 for me, and $2.50 for my mate in oz

no idea why the prices were so all over the place for ME

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

bought dead island from direct2play and it worked perfectly. €22 in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

€21 now! Ever used them before? Reliable? Problems. Tempted.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ive used them lots of times mate, no problems at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

no problem at all with them, only thing is getting the russian IP to activate the games on steam. but the directions they e-mail you are spot on and so easy to follow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,408 ✭✭✭Nollog

What are the chances of it going under 21 this Christmas on steam?
    I might get but not sure if valve will make it super cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Possible, but not a sure thing. It will only be about 3 months old when the sale rolls round, still a bit early.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    What are the chances of it going under 21 this Christmas on steam?
    I might get but not sure if valve will make it super cheap.
    Odds are they will drop it by 25%/33% in the Christmas Sales. And even then, it will just about match the launch prices in brick and mortar stores. The Russian VPN is what's turning me off this so much, but f that isn't a hurdle for you then you know what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

gears of war 3 is 40.99 in hmv

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

And gamestop Henry Street!

Kudos to HMV for lowering the bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

And gamestop Henry Street!

Kudos to HMV for lowering the bar.

Wow thats a first for that particular gamestop!!!!!!! Don't recall them ever price matching with HMV before, which is ridiculous given they are next door, HMV are always €5 cheaper.

calex71 wrote: »
    Wow thats a first for that particular gamestop!!!!!!! Don't recall them ever price matching with HMV before, which is ridiculous given they are next door, HMV are always €5 cheaper.

I've seen it a handful of times, they kind of have to do it given they're shooting themselves in the foot otherwise. I'm pretty sure 40.99 is the lowest I've ever seen a major release being sold for in retail.

That said, it's only for high profile games that they'll do it. Even then, you're better just going to HMV as it's almost 100% guaranteed to be cheaper!

I've seen it a handful of times, they kind of have to do it given they're shooting themselves in the foot otherwise. I'm pretty sure 40.99 is the lowest I've ever seen a major release being sold for in retail.

That said, it's only for high profile games that they'll do it. Even then, you're better just going to HMV as it's almost 100% guaranteed to be cheaper!
    And you can often get a bluray thrown in for good measure too. HMV is uaually the first place I go on launch day to get my games if I already havent gotten them quite cheap online.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

And you can often get a bluray thrown in for good measure too. HMV is uaually the first place I go on launch day to get my games if I already havent gotten them quite cheap online.
    hmv offer lowest prices alright but if your after collectors editions its not the best to get them i know they get SOME but u can never be sure they will have it

• Advertisement

hmv offer lowest prices alright but if your after collectors editions its not the best to get them i know they get SOME but u can never be sure they will have it
    Game are also brutal at fulfilling collector's edition preorders. I dont do it in b+m stores any more. Only online. At least that way they know hat stock they are getting in so they can guarantee it to you or give you plenty of heads up if they cant.

There's a couple of indie bundles on sale on Steam. Seems like a good offer
    http://store.steampowered.com/sale/indiemidweek/
    €9.99 for each of the two packs, both containing 5 games in there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement