Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martin McGuinness to be named as Sinn Féins candidate for the Presidential Election?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Don't know for definite whether i will vote for him or not,haven't mind up my mind yet, But i tell you one think it surely has made the presidential election a lot more interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

happening already

reuters are reporting he is a "Ex-IRA guerrilla"

Ex-IRA guerrilla McGuinness to run for Irish president

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/martin-mcguinness-run-irish-president-163417989.html

Have to laugh. I suppose they reported the past elections in NI in the same fashion.

'Bunch of screwballs from the OO are elected to run a government. '

Biased news articles are going to be a feature from now on so.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Baralis1

Baralis1 wrote: »
    Did she not work as a lecturer here? I could be mistaken.

She worked in Trinity college and worked for RTE for a number of years. She was born in NI but spent years here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Mcaleese

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

:mad:Whats there to say, why not have Giovanni Trapattoni he is "doing wonders" with the Irish team in some peoples opinion!

Or better still Tony Blair wasn't he the architect of the Good Friday agreement - perhaps not!

Maybe people in Northern Ireland might take Bertie Ahearn off us, we could do a swap?

Why cant we have a Republic of Ireland citizen for the Republic of Ireland president.

The Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland are different countries, I mean come on people - of all the people who live here there must be one person that can do the job.
    Martin McGuiness, first minister of Northern Ireland, really loyal to his voters there, I wonder will he show the same loyalty to he voters here, or would this be just another career move for this career politican

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

"Why cant we have a Republic of Ireland citizen for the Republic of Ireland president."

Oh dear oh dear oh dear

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

:mad:Whats there to say, why not have Giovanni Trapattoni he is "doing wonders" with the Irish team in some peoples opinion!

Or better still Tony Blair wasn't he the architect of the Good Friday agreement - perhaps not!

Maybe people in Northern Ireland might take Bertie Ahearn off us, we could do a swap?

Why cant we have a Republic of Ireland citizen for the Republic of Ireland president.

The Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland are different countries, I mean come on people - of all the people who live here there must be one person that can do the job.
    Martin McGuiness, first minister of Northern Ireland, really loyal to his voters there, I wonder will he show the same loyalty to he voters here, or would this be just another career move for this career politican
    The position has no power anyway, bar opening shops and taking Jackie McDonald to the golf course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

KeithAFC wrote: »
    The position has no power anyway, bar opening shops and taking Jackie McDonald to the golf course.

Whats wrong with jackie mcdonald ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

So would you like to take Mary McAleese's last 14 years of salary back? This argument is just plain silly.

Anyone born on the island of Ireland is entitled to an Irish passport. Would you like to change this law and send up a crack squad of civil servants to the North to repossess all the passports currently held by people born in the 6 counties?

Of all the arguments not to vote for Marty, this one is by a millions miles the worst.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

jbkenn wrote: »
    He does not live here.
    He does not work here, (did he ever hold down a job anywhere?)
    He does not pay taxes here.
    He does not vote here.

Why should I vote for him?, gifting him the equivalent of a Lotto win, between salary, perks and pension.

No thanks

He is Irish so I don't see your problem? And the only reason he does not vote/pay taxes/work in the South is because of the temporary situation up north. That will be sorted in good time.

Oh, And he will be working for the average industrial wage..

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

This should shake up the dross that is standing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

I would strongly consider voting for him (had I the vote).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

realies wrote: »
    Whats wrong with jackie mcdonald ?
    Well he was a volunteer but still splits debate amongst loyalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,506 ✭✭✭baldbear

I suppose that cross dressing incident will be in the papers now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Martin is such a brave and glorious patriot - but werent Mary Lou, Pierce Doherty and slick electable southern shinners invented/ groomed for ROI elections though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

This is way too much like strategic political point scoring ...President McAleese has done an exceptional job as President.

M.McG has nothing to offer that can progress the interests of the 26 counties....I'm out!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

NSNO wrote: »
    The fact that you're even comparing De Valera and O'Kelly to McGuinness boggles the mind. If you think that the Troubles is comparable to the War Of Independence or the Civil War (in which neither O'Kelly or De Valera took an active role and both tried to stop) in the minds of the Irish public then you're beyond help.

And his "military" past? Really? :rolleyes:

The violence during the troubles was not started by the ira. The roles were reversed the troubles could have been prevented by granting catholics full rights as oppossed to attacking the civil rights marchers vie the ruc and orange order.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

i'd say psf are hoping getting curly into the park will help keep grassroots happy coming up to the '16 anniversary. they were told there'd be a united ireland by then:rolleyes:so having a sf president would help calm the restless grassroots. but you cant polish a turd. ireland will still be partioned, in fact partition's copperfastened. brit police will still patrol irish streets and british army personel will still be barracked on irish soil. and downing street will ultimately call the shots.

anyway he hasnt a hope, the free state media will go into overdrive now on his ira past. skeletons like frank hegerty and patsy gillespie will be rolled out time and time again from his closet.

i'd rather see him in then a pure west brit like norris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

niallers1 wrote: »

He is Irish so I don't see your problem? And the only reason he does not vote/pay taxes/work in the South is because of the temporary situation up north. That will be sorted in good time.

Oh, And he will be working for the average industrial wage..

What is "the South" (your capital "S" in an attempt to give it a legitimacy as a term) ?

It certainly doesn't sound like something that would have a President.

This country however is a different story.

As for "temporary situation" : :rolleyes:

So would you like to take Mary McAleese's last 14 years of salary back? This argument is just plain silly.

Anyone born on the island of Ireland is entitled to an Irish passport. Would you like to change this law and send up a crack squad of civil servants to the North to repossess all the passports currently held by people born in the 6 counties?

Of all the arguments not to vote for Marty, this one is by a millions miles the worst..

Marty is that what his followers call him!!!

Seems like a lovely woman and I do think she did a brillant job, but I would have prepared if she had actually come from our country, given that she was the figure head for it. And yes - I would definitely have prepared is the Republic of Ireland Presidential salary had gone to a citizen of this country - by the by that doesn't mean they have to be born here to me - be the entitlement thing just because your from Northern Ireland -sad.

I don't think people from Northern Ireland should automatically be entitled Republic of Irish passports, anymore than I think I should be entitled to a Northern Irish passport or a passpert to any other country.

Calling someones opinion silly just because you don't agree with is stupid and to IMO stupid truimphs silly everytime - but then intolerence is another historical feature of Sinn Fein supporters - yet another reason I'd rather they stayed in Northern Ireland :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

steddyeddy wrote: »
    The violence during the troubles was not started by the ira.
    I don't know about that, but they certainly were major contributors to continuing it long past the point where it had any justification.

We may have a Sinn Fein president in the future, but the memories of Enniskillen, the deaths of two children in Warrington and the bombings in London & Manchester are still too fresh.

• Advertisement

steddyeddy wrote: »
    The violence during the troubles was not started by the ira. The roles were reversed the troubles could have been prevented by granting catholics full rights as oppossed to attacking the civil rights marchers vie the ruc and orange order.

Extremely simplistic arguement - both sides committed terrible acts and only represented themsleves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Seems like a lovely woman and I do think she did a brillant job, but I would have prepared if she had actually come from our country, given that she was the figure head for it. And yes - I would definitely have prepared is the Republic of Ireland Presidential salary had gone to a citizen of this country - by the by that doesn't mean they have to be born here to me - be the entitlement thing just because your from Northern Ireland -sad.

I don't think people from Northern Ireland should automatically be entitled Republic of Irish passports, anymore than I think I should be entitled to a Northern Irish passport or a passpert to any other country.

Calling someones opinion silly just because you don't agree with is stupid and to IMO sillly truimphs stupid everytime - but then intolerence is another historical feature of Sinn Fein supporters - yet another reason I'd rather they stayed in Northern Ireland :rolleyes:
    So people from the north arent Irish according to you, good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,974 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

You are old hat, move with the times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    What is "the South" (your capital "S" in an attempt to give it a legitimacy as a term) ?

It certainly doesn't sound like something that would have a President.

This country however is a different story.

As for "temporary situation" : :rolleyes:
    I dont mean to insult you Liam but can you please stop correcting peoples grammer and use of the language, it adds nothing to the conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I dont mean to insult you Liam but can you please stop correcting peoples grammer and use of the language, it adds nothing to the conversation.

That comment had nothing to so with grammar, and you know it.

It was the fact that most SF people refuse point-blank to refer to this state by its name, therefore having one of them as its president is absolutely ridiculous and objectionable.

Would America stand for having a president that referred to their country as "North America" or "Southern Canada" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭ninjasurfer1

niallers1 wrote: »

Is the position of President of Ireland funded by Republic of Ireland taxes or all irish people on the island?

Also, are Irish passport holders born in the 6 counties subject to ROI laws?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

As if there wasn't enough to deal with in this election with all the Norris stuff, we now have McGuinness throwing his hat into the ring. Seriously.....won't they just think of the mods of the forum for once! :)

Anyway, can i just ask that people keep it civilised and on the topic at hand. Trench digging and the usual nonsense that accompanies all things NI won't be tolerated, please bear that in mind before posting

Cheers

DrG

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Well it is important to point out the reality. Two different communities hate each other. The peace process only keeps large amounts of guns off the street.

Sounds like you think thats a small achievement. Obviously keeping guns off the streets will help the two communities come together over time (it might only take 1 or 2 generations). Anyway, I don't believe its as bad as you say in most of Northern Ireland. Just in certain areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Extremely simplistic arguement - both sides committed terrible acts and only represented themsleves

Before the troubles the ira had a border campaign with very little support and after the civil rights they had massive support. You cant accuse me of a simplistic arguement and then sum the troubles up as:
    both sides committed terrible acts and only represented themsleves

The IRA commited terrible acts no doubt and Im not defending them I just dont think they were the cause of the troubles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    That comment had nothing to so with grammar, and you know it.

It was the fact that most SF people refuse point-blank to refer to this state by its name, therefore having one of them as its president is absolutely ridiculous and objectionable.

Would America stand for having a president that referred to their country as "North America" or "Southern Canada" ?

The name of the state is Éire/Ireland. Republicans view Ireland as a single nation, comprising of the entire Island, as does the constitution of this Republic. So, to use colloquial terms which highlight that the Island is partitioned is perfectly acceptable and is used by many politicians in Ireland outside of Sinn Féin who often use the phrase 'the north of the country'.

You're going to have to get over your hang-up on such trivial bollocks such as terms like 'the south/the north/6 counties/' etc... It comes across as petty.

Advertisement