Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Anyone know where to get a cheap DS lite new? Second hand ones all seem to be in bits and ebay is full of knock off DS Lites.

Ask to see all of the stock in Game and Gamestop. I know from working there that there's always a minter hidden in the stock room!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The DS lite has to be one of the most beautiful console designs ever.
    No ambition there to be anything other than a cracking handheld, two lovely clear screens, nice casing that closes with a solid snap, nice finish as well.
    I currently have custody of my nephews black DSlite and it just feels nicer than the DSi, not trying to be multimedia or a camera or anything other than a great games platform.

And regarding the new Circle Pad and Monster Hunter 4, the massive selling PS3 version managed without a second analogue stick didn't it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah but the controls are super dodge! Think you have to use the DPad for camera control?

If you want to see how a game suffers from lack of dual analogue MGS Peace Walker is the perfect example. Theres various alternate control schemes but none are ideal. The optimal one is where you use the face buttons for camera control, and the result is all actions relegated to the DPad and shoulder buttons (the latter half occupied by an aim button!). Playable? Just about. Ideal? Definitely not.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Yeah but the controls are super dodge!

I totes agree bbz!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Anyone know where to get a cheap DS lite new? Second hand ones all seem to be in bits and ebay is full of knock off DS Lites.
    I have a spare one I could give you, you'd love it, it's party pink :p with the Princess Peach thing to go over it

• Advertisement

Sera wrote: »
    I have a spare one I could give you, you'd love it, it's party pink :p

Party pink?! My favourite pink!

IKNOWRIGHT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

I wonder if you can get a Cho Aniki DS skin in pink... in packs of 4. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

And here it is.It really is rubbish.

I seem to remember the sequel being pretty damn good on the C64 though.

The new Four Swords game looks amazing by the way:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mr Vengeance

I bought my 3DS in May when HMV had their first price cut on it. I was in the market for one you could say - I was going to buy one, but at the right price.... and the launch price was taking the Michael.

So I got one for €205 brand new. Just popped in one day for a nose and there it was , all reduced for itself! I picked up new copies of Ridge Racer and PilotWings - I absolutely loved them. PilotWings is superb, but there's no proper exploration mode - the free flying mode is timed! Its fun but you can't just go for an explore for yourself because the clock is always counting down. The single player mode is odd too in that you don't beat the game until you get three stars in each event, even though you can clear missions with less than three stars.... some odd design decisions made in this, but other than that its brilliant fun, looks incredible and controls well. Really really good game.

Ridge Racer is amazing to begin with, but its single player mode is very long-winded, and the cars are far too hard to control at top speed along the narrower tracks as you can't break properly - breaking automatically puts you into a slide. In the mighty Ridge Racer 64, you could break by holding down both the break and accelerator at the same time, which made it really playable as you didn't spend half the lap power sliding into walls when all you needed to do was get around the corner nice and slowly. Still, its a lot of fun on the wider tracks, it looks the business and.... I think I might go off and play it again this evening - its excellent for the most part.

I bought Street Fighter IV for it too and thats great, if a little hard to control. I bought Pro Evo too and enjoy that in short bursts. A bit dull graphically but the gameplay is nice and arcadey.

Whilst the 3DS hasn't had much play time recently, I am very much looking forward to what is in store for it in the coming months. I do believe that its software is overpriced though - forty odd quid is too much for a handheld game, especially when they are as short and / or are remakes. But... I have been very optimistic for the system recently in light of the price cut.

However.... that analogue add-on is HORRIFIC - its the ugliest looking thing I have ever seen in my life. I really do not want to buy that and stick it onto my lovely sleek 3DS console in all honesty. I suppose I'll end up having to, but its guaranteed now that the "3DS Lite" is on its way sporting the proper shizz that should have been on there to begin with. If I hadn't have bought a 3DS by now I'd be holding out for the 3DS Lite in light of that monstrosity!!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,828 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I have a spare one I could give you, you'd love it, it's party pink :p with the Princess Peach thing to go over it

Contra 4 on a party pink DS? So wrong, and yet so enticing!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,483 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'm really enjoying Starfox 3DS...but feel completely ripped off after paying €40 :(

I'm going to have to stop paying full whack for 3DS games. It's insane.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

DinoRex wrote: »
    The new Four Swords game looks amazing by the way:

Is it just a remake of the one that was included in Link to the Past GBA? I recall never being able to get past that green temple starting screen because I had no friends with GBAs. Sniff :(
    o1s1n wrote: »
    I'm going to have to stop paying full whack for 3DS games. It's insane.

As has been said before, you'll only ever enjoy third party releases at low, low prices. Indeed, you can get the likes of SSFIV and Ghost Recon for peanuts in most places, including the Peanut Game Exchange! For Star Fox, Zelda etc... you are forever destined to pay full whack, like the mole you, I and every consumer is.

Contra 4 on a party pink DS? So wrong, and yet so enticing!
    there's a catch...
    Will you cook my dinner for me? My parents aren't around and I'm not allowed to turn on the stove.
    lol jk
    would it be hard to change the shell and buttons on a DS?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I genuinely think you just throw random words into youtube and see what comes back.
    Nobody could have such a list of insane videos

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Is it just a remake of the one that was included in Link to the Past GBA? I recall never being able to get past that green temple starting screen because I had no friends with GBAs. Sniff :(

Looks new. Lots of levels based on different zelda games from over the years. Including monochrome Gameboy levels.

Mega Chin wrote: »
    I genuinely think you just throw random words into youtube and see what comes back.
    Nobody could have such a list of insane videos
    actually when I can't sleep, I go on yt looking up clips and have them on a playlist to use later.
    Except that one, that's just Lumpy Space Princess from Adventure Time <3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,828 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

there's a catch...
    Will you cook my dinner for me? My parents aren't around and I'm not allowed to turn on the stove.
    lol jk

I'll do a japanese dinner for you. Also Pink is fine for me. I'm man enough to wear a pink shirt :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,536 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Is there much difference between the ds and dsi apart from the camera and sd cards?.
    Gameplay wise.
    I remember when I was in xtravision I use to bang on to customers about the dsi having a better processor or summit that made it better. Know I dunno if that's true or I just half read summit and recycled it into a half arsed sale pitch.

I don't wanna get a ds and find out here later that the dsi is so much super cooler than the ds.
    Like how my new sp is crap because it's not an ags 101.
    I bad nintendo fan.
    Just ordered mario super ball. Looks crap but has Mario so have to have it. Damn Mario is costing me.

• Advertisement

Some games are supposedly 'DSi enhanced' which says they take advantage of the faster processor presumably for better framerates. I'm not sure if it's true. Also the DSi has access to the DSi store so you can play downloadable games while the DS lite can't. However the biggest 'go **** yourself nintendo' thing keeping me away from the DSi is that the 'DSi enhanced' games are all region locked and will only work on a DSi from the correct region. However these games will work on any DS. I'd put money on the extra processing power being taken up by the new operating system and piracy protection than games gaining any real advantage.

Didn't know that.
    My OCD with retro wouldnt of allowed me to get the American games anyway.
    European games for European consoles and likewise for American. Don't like their little rating symbols.
    So there's no NTSC or Pal with the handhelds? I suppose their wouldn't be cause they ain't hooked up to tvs.

Thanks by the way Retro.

I need these in my life :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

On a DS no, not at all.
    The DSlite on the other hand is a bitch, I've done two in my time and, while it got easier by the second one it is still a challenge.
    You really need a steady hand and a couple of spare hours to concentrate...
    Kinda reminds me of a girl I used to date! Bad'um D'ish!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    On a DS no, not at all.
    The DSlite on the other hand is a bitch, I've done two in my time and, while it got easier by the second one it is still a challenge.
    You really need a steady hand and a couple of spare hours to concentrate...
    Kinda reminds me of playing Boulder Dash

Fyp:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Fao Sera

Green Game Boy for sale

Just to point out that the days Teefury offering really belongs to Sera, and if Retr0 was any kind of boyfriend he'd buy it for her asap!
    1311807668_BOTTOM__072611h31m55.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

For some reason I just got a mad urge to play either Flimbos Quest or Fiendish Freddies Big Top O' Fun

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Some games are supposedly 'DSi enhanced' which says they take advantage of the faster processor presumably for better framerates. I'm not sure if it's true. Also the DSi has access to the DSi store so you can play downloadable games while the DS lite can't. However the biggest 'go **** yourself nintendo' thing keeping me away from the DSi is that the 'DSi enhanced' games are all region locked and will only work on a DSi from the correct region. However these games will work on any DS. I'd put money on the extra processing power being taken up by the new operating system and piracy protection than games gaining any real advantage.

Ah nice, shall commandeer my sister's DS lite rather than get a DSi so :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement