Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    3DS redesign is pretty much confirmed at this stage. Really can't believe how shoddy the second analogue attachment design is, or figure out why it's actually needed. I'll be waiting for the 3DS lite.

Because a 3DS Lite is needed?

Well, technically speaking now it is your correct...but what's needed isn't hardware godamnit :o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I've thrown up a review (and then I threw up)
    And here it is.It really is rubbish.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,898 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

EnterNow wrote: »
    Because a 3DS Lite is needed?

Well, technically speaking now it is your correct...but what's needed isn't hardware godamnit :o

Not that it's needed, more so that nintendo will integrate the second analogue stick as an excuse to sell more hardware. I can see sales of the 3DS taking a massive hit now because people can see the hardware redesign coming a mile off now.

However Bravely Default looks great and there's a new Fire Emblem and Fire Emblem always rocks hard! And Rocket Slime better come out over here!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yeah, the circle pad add on looks terrible but every one of us 3ds owners is going to buy it, gate it but buy it anyway.
    The line up of games looks superb, I am especially looking forward to Ace Combat, could be the business!
    Need more though! More games, see what EA have in mind, Need for Speed, Burnout the good stuff!
    I know it wasn't mentioned at the Nintendo gig but a redesign is certainly imminent, or the Vita is going to sh1te all over the machine.
    Only that or Monster Hunter 4 can save it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,565 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Is anyone else not too pushed on having two analog sticks on a handheld? The two main uses it generally has are FPS type controls and camera movement.

I'm not arsed with FPS games on a handheld and there are other easy solutions to solve camera movement. Lets not forget that the touch pad can be used to input too.

Plus as I mentioned somewhere else, dual analog sticks usually means shoulder button use. The shoulder buttons on the 3DS are awfully cramped and really hurt my hands if I have to use both of them. I'm sure the add on would solve that, but a console redesign would not.

I'm hoping anyway that most games I want to play really have no use for a second stick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Beyond the Labyrinth might be the baby that coaxes me into picking up the 3DS. Cautious, but excited.

Master of the Universe

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Beyond the Labyrinth might be the baby that coaxes me into picking up the 3DS. Cautious, but excited.

That game looks gorgeous alright. Don't think it's due out for a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,859 ✭✭✭Steve X2

o1s1n wrote: »
    Is anyone else not too pushed on having two analog sticks on a handheld? The two main uses it generally has are FPS type controls and camera movement.

I'm not arsed with FPS games on a handheld and there are other easy solutions to solve camera movement. Lets not forget that the touch pad can be used to input too.

Plus as I mentioned somewhere else, dual analog sticks usually means shoulder button use. The shoulder buttons on the 3DS are awfully cramped and really hurt my hands if I have to use both of them. I'm sure the add on would solve that, but a console redesign would not.

I'm hoping anyway that most games I want to play really have no use for a second stick.

To be honest I didn't think the 3DS needed another stick.
    Plus it's not really a design that lends well to dual sticks, I don't think so anyway.

Now, the vita is a different story and dual sticks will work nicely with that I'm sure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,898 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm pretty sure the stupid analogue stick add-on was added for monster hunter. Which is strange considering it's most popular on the PSP which also has one analogue stick. The fact that it needs batteries to run it is absolutely baffling and insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

That game looks gorgeous alright. Don't think it's due out for a while yet.

That is, like 90 percent of games worth playing on the console.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Steve SI wrote: »
    To be honest I didn't think the 3DS needed another stick.
    Plus it's not really a design that lends well to dual sticks, I don't think so anyway.

Now, the vita is a different story and dual sticks will work nicely with that I'm sure.

Yeah the design of the dual screen setup doesn't give you the necessary finger access to the shoulder buttons that's required for dual stick use. I'd much rather stick to the traditional face buttons.

As for the Vita..well...Sony once again put the sticks in the wrong place!
    I'm pretty sure the stupid analogue stick add-on was added for monster hunter. Which is strange considering it's most popular on the PSP which also has one analogue stick. The fact that it needs batteries to run it is absolutely baffling and insane.

They seriously dropped the ball on the battery thing. It should contain a rechargable battery for the 3DS. The fact that it NEEDs power is beyond laughable.

Yeah the design of the dual screen setup doesn't give you the necessary finger access to the shoulder buttons that's required for dual stick use. I'd much rather stick to the traditional face buttons.

As for the Vita..well...Sony once again put the sticks in the wrong place!

Yeah, maybe.
    But at least they put "sticks" on it this time and not "stick" :D

Master of the Universe

I take it you'll be buying two Vitas on release? You know, four sticks better than two and all that :D

I take it you'll be buying two Vitas on release? You know, four sticks better than two and all that :D

You know me well old chap ;)

I'll be over in Nippon in December so might be tempted to grab one* before they launch over here.

* One means two

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Bafflieng and insane, brilliant stuff, exactly what I was thinking.

I've been stewing all day cos of Nintendo it is just so strange that they could have gotten themselves into this position. What were thay thinking WTF Nintendo, why in gods name didn't they release it with all the bells and whistles. I can't believe they fouled up like that what a bunch of knobs

The fact that it needs batteries to run it is absolutely baffling and insane.

It's not that baffling, the interface port on the 3DS for the stick isn't equipped to provide nor recieve system power. It's a bolt on afterthought is all.

Insane...well that's different.

It's so much hassle though that if I was nintendo then I'd just do without. Any handheld game that I've enjoyed on the DS or PSP hasn't needed a second analogue stick. Any game that does require one is a game I'd much rather play on a home console. The Vita is getting CoD and Uncharted but they aren't what I want to play on a handheld and aren't what I'm excited about. Announcing this stupid peripheral is just making it look like the 3DS is in even more trouble than it really is and I can see it harming nintendo in the long run rather than making it better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It isn't useless by any stretch. A few previews I've read of Kid Icarus especially have said that the game definitely suffers from control problems (one stick + touch aiming).

Not all games need dual analogue sticks. But it would certainly help some - Kid Icarus, Mario and Luigi's Mansion are the ones that spring to mind. It couldn't hurt to have one: would give developers a choice to implement what could well be superior control schemes.

It isn't useless by any stretch. A few previews I've read of Kid Icarus especially have said that the game definitely suffers from control problems (one stick + touch aiming).

Not all games need dual analogue sticks. But it would certainly help some - Kid Icarus, Mario and Luigi's Mansion are the ones that spring to mind. It couldn't hurt to have one: would give developers a choice to implement what could well be superior control schemes.

Well said J_U but the point of the matter is that it looks like a lump of shít hanging off a nice looking console and more to the point why didn't Nintendo make a 3DS with 2 analogue inputs. It's not like the analogue stick is a new invention, sure the PSP has been sucking for years with one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Oh, I'm not doubting it looks like a piece of **** :P It's a good idea very, very poorly implemented. It's such a good idea they should have ****ing done it in the first place.

• Advertisement

I think we've all had this Christmas experience. But with crappy videogames as opposed to delicious melon bread.

Oh, I'm not doubting it looks like a piece of **** :P It's a good idea very, very poorly implemented. It's such a good idea they should have ****ing done it in the first place.

Oh yea they certiantly should have had the foresight to see that it would need another pad and it was obvious that when sony released the new PSP it would have two control sticks, it's very demoralising to see Nintendo like this especially since I'm a filthy dirty Ninty fanboy for over 25 years:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Could us fools who bought the 3DS on release have our hands on a future Virtual Boy in say 10 years?

I'm thinking if Sony really play their cards right with the Vinetta or whatever its called they could really dominate Nintendo

Was listening to roleplayers realm and it seems you need a second analogue for monster hunter, it's pretty much essential. On the PSP you use your hand like a claw to move the camera using the d-pad with your index finger and your thumb to move. Still if nintendo where going after monster hunter they shold have made provisions for this. In fact they should have made provisions for monster hunter clones which are the FPS of japanese genres at the moment.

Also **** my laptop. Got home and had less than 10 minutes to get online and place a bid on a game I really wanted. It was so slow I got to the auction with 10 seconds to go then placed a bid for the amount of the starting bid but my laptop was so slow that it didn't register until the auction was over. I could have gotten the game for it's starting bid but it ended up not getting bid on at all :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Hey if I was to be getting a ds. Which one should I get? Which is the best.

OwaynOTT wrote: »

3DS:D

It's so much hassle though that if I was nintendo then I'd just do without. Any handheld game that I've enjoyed on the DS or PSP hasn't needed a second analogue stick. Any game that does require one is a game I'd much rather play on a home console. The Vita is getting CoD and Uncharted but they aren't what I want to play on a handheld and aren't what I'm excited about. Announcing this stupid peripheral is just making it look like the 3DS is in even more trouble than it really is and I can see it harming nintendo in the long run rather than making it better.

Completely agree, it wreaks of desperation when in reality the 3DS problem could be solved without it. Most people now believe that a new version 3DS isn't far away & will hold buying the existing one, thus hurting the already bad sales figures even more. Terrible terrible lack of vision by Nintendo there...

Yes on paper, but look at the configuration of the 3DS with the analogue stick attatchment. To my eye, its a serious stretch of the thumb form the 2nd stick to any buttons. Plus as o1s1n said, the shoulder buttons are an ergonomic disaster & harbingers of hand cramp (something Retr0 knows a lot about apparently :p).

It's a benefit to certain games, but not in this configuration.
    Could us fools who bought the 3DS on release have our hands on a future Virtual Boy in say 10 years?

I'm thinking if Sony really play their cards right with the Vinetta or whatever its called they could really dominate Nintendo

I doubt Nintendo will let it slip away that quietly...but higher management need to really be woken up here. The Vita is going to pummel the 3DS in terms of sales with the promised lineup.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

OwaynOTT wrote: »

If you can stretch the few extra euro go for a DSi, if you just want something cheap and cheerful go for a DS lite.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Jack burton

EnterNow wrote: »

I doubt Nintendo will let it slip away that quietly...but higher management need to really be woken up here. The Vita is going to pummel the 3DS in terms of sales with the promised lineup.

I would really like to see Sony give nintendo a kicking for once in the handheld market, but as we know Sony are experts and making lackluster handhelds

But a new 3Ds is coming, but definitly not this side of Christmas so thats going to give Sony a huge advantage

• Advertisement

Anyone know where to get a cheap DS lite new? Second hand ones all seem to be in bits and ebay is full of knock off DS Lites.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement