Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[2011-2012] What really happened to Madeleine McCann?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

The mccann's wasn't in their back garden thought was they?! No they was in the Tapas bar with their lovely Friend's & inbetween was a swimming pool amongst other thing's! So your question is irrelevant!
    Exactly my point! Being in the pub seems like it should be entirely different that being in your garden, if your process it emotively. If you process it rationally, there is no practical difference. Or at least no one so far has pointed out one.
    Mezcita wrote: »
    There's a big difference between leaving your kid alone while you are in the back garden and leaving it alone in an unlocked apartment while you are 120 metres away.
    Well my essential point is that there isn’t a difference, even a small one. It might feel different but in practice it isn’t. Whatever happened to Madeleine, whether it was an accident or an abduction, just as easily happen if you are too far away from your children to hear them crying. Whether than is 12, 120 or 1,200 metres makes no material difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭misterdeeds

coco_lola wrote: »
    I could be wrong, but wasn't there traces of some form of mild drug in the kids systems that helped them sleep? As I said I can't remember so correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought they were doctors of some sort. It wouldn't surprise me that they had given the kids these drugs to prevent them waking up in the night, Madeleine received an overdose, and they tried to cover it up.

Behavioural psychology states that couples who have lost a child (be that to abduction, or anything) tend to isolate themselves from each other, shut each other out. The McCanns seem to be much too strong and "together", as a couple. This is a theory based on scientific research, but they could be the exception. However I just find it all a bit too strange tbh. I think they definitely have something to do with it, and always did from day one. There's just something about the mother I can't put my finger on.
    I can see your point and I totally agree with you the mother has such an angry look on her face and the dad seems so calm and to be honest I think the mother knows something .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

lugha wrote: »
    So would you regard parents who have a BBQ in their backyard, out of ear shot of their children, and who do NOT have a baby monitor to be as negligent in the care of their children as the McCanns were?

And would you call for all parents who do so to be prosecuted for neglect?

To be fair, being down the street at a bar is not being in your "backyard".

Me, I think the child may have been deep fried and served up with the tapas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭All about Eve

I just cannot fathom what any of the parents where thinking.
    why in the name of god couldnt they have took turns going out each night.Gerry one night and Kate the next.
    The answer to that is because they were wholly selfish.
    A normal mothers instinct would be to stay home rather than leave 2 and 3 year olds alone.
    I mean my daughter is 2 and i still go and check on her 2 times a night when shes in bed just to make sure she is comfortable. the thoughts of going off to the neighbours and leaving her alone for drinkings sake and food is insane to me.
    The Mcanns effectively went to the pub. Thats the reality. It doesnt matter the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Exactly my point! Being in the pub seems like it should be entirely different that being in your garden, if your process it emotively. If you process it rationally, there is no practical difference. Or at least no one so far has pointed out one.
    Well my essential point is that there isn’t a difference, even a small one. It might feel different but in practice it isn’t. Whatever happened to Madeleine, whether it was an accident or an abduction, just as easily happen if you are too far away from your children to hear them crying. Whether than is 12, 120 or 1,200 metres makes no material difference.
    Actually there is a huge difference between 12 metres and 120 meters , the difference is 108 metres . Too much . And if you are in your back garden with the hall door locked and a baby monitor and so can hear your babies there is a huge difference .Most of us know that and dont need explaining so I am presuming you are as clued in as we are and dont need explaining either .So if you do need explaining why the Mc Canns were outside exceptable range I dont think any of us can help you .You should have figured it out yourself as an adult
    Because if you were to leave your children where the Mc Canns left theirs you would be considered to be negligent in care of minors .

As an adult you most certainely cant be there 24 /7 and some accidents happens despite you trying your best .,Some accidents happen because you dint try your best . So it is with the Mc Canns , they didnt do their best , they failed .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mistyeyes321

"Makes no Material Differnce" Really doesn't it?! So if I am in the Kitchen & making a cup of tea & turn my back & my child reaches up & grab's the Lead of the Kettle...On your understanding I would have as much chance of stopping them being Scolded if I was stood right next to them...Or 1,200 Metres away?MMMM doesn't work somehow!!!

Again I ask the question who in your Opinion was the more responsible Parent...David Payne & Oldfield who had baby monotors...Or the Mccann'a who had none?!

To be fair, being down the street at a bar is not being in your "backyard".
    So everyone keeps saying. But no one can explain why. If your child calls for you and you cannot hear them, then what does it matter where you are?
    Me, I think the child may have been deep fried and served up with the tapas.
    Depressingly, by no means the maddest suggestion being made in this saga. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

She is in all likelihood dead and its her parents fault for leaving her in the apartment alone...

Very surprised they have been aloud keep the rest of their kids as they neglected Madeline...

And that's if you believe their story...

If you don't buy into that, they killed her(maybe by accident) and deposed of the body and made up the elaborate kidnapping story.

Either way they are bad parents and the British government haven't acted properly and their renaming kids are still in danger of being neglected

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Of course there is a difference though. Think about it. Would somebody have walked in and taken the kid if the parents were sitting say outside the back of the apartment? Possibly. Would they have taken her if the front door was locked and therefore would have to break into the apartment? Doubt it.

My point is that the McCann's behaviour in being 120 metres away while their children slept in an unlocked apartment facilitated the disappearance of their child.

People lock doors these days and take simple precautions so that people can't just walk into their houses and steal things. By ignoring these precautions the McCann's unfortunately made it a lot easier for this child to disappear.

"Makes no Material Differnce" Really doesn't it?! So if I am in the Kitchen & making a cup of tea & turn my back & my child reaches up & grab's the Lead of the Kettle...On your understanding I would have as much chance of stopping them being Scolded if I was stood right next to them...Or 1,200 Metres away?MMMM doesn't work somehow!!!
    But what if you are in your back garden or the next room. I'm sorry but you are ducking the question.
    Again I ask the question who in your Opinion was the more responsible Parent...David Payne & Oldfield who had baby monotors...Or the Mccann'a who had none?!
    Not the McCanns obviously. I don't argue that their behaviour was responsible, and it is not behaviour I would recommend.
    But it was not an act of gross negligence that it is thought to be by many. For me it is essentially on a par with parents who dine in their back garden out of ear shot of their children. But few would label the latter as gross negligence.

• Advertisement

Mezcita wrote: »
    People lock doors these days and take simple precautions so that people can't just walk into their houses and steal things. By ignoring these precautions the McCann's unfortunately made it a lot easier for this child to disappear.
    Agreed. Not locking door was seriously irresponsible.

But that is not really relevant to the point I am making. People would still be accusing the McCanns of negligence even if they had locked their doors.
    Do the problem remains. Tapas bar or back garden? What is the material difference? (and of course people do not necessarily lock their house when they sit in the back garden)

But what if you are in your back garden or the next room. I'm sorry but you are ducking the question.

Not the McCanns obviously. I don't argue that their behaviour was responsible, and it is not behaviour I would recommend.
    But it was not an act of gross negligence that it is thought to be by many. For me it is essentially on a par with parents who dine in their back garden out of ear shot of their children. But few would label the latter as gross negligence.
    If you think that its on par with dining in your own back garden then non of us can help you .I ask you this question then .If you were to have friends over and have BBQ in your back garden , kids in bed , door locked and monitor on or eat out with them down the road with your back to your house , door unlocked and no monitor .Which one would you consider safer ??If you think they are the same in safety and care its actually pointless even discussing it with you .

if in fact parents sat in their garden and left three kids in an unlocked house and no monitors on and no way of hearing them in distress I would question the suitablity as well .
    There is safe and there safe and you do your damnest to be doubly safe and overly safe
    I have had nieces stay over here with young children .They are upstaris in bed and we have a monitor on and the stair gate on and the hall door secure and we are only in the kitchen .
    For heavens sake how on earth can that be the same as down the road in a bar ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

I would liken the Mcann case to going next door to your neighbours house for dinner and drinking and pompous chat.
    Do you know the chat was pompous or is that just a supposition.

This is the third supposition I've asked for clarification on in 4 pages (without reply). I suspect this reflects more on our preconceptions and how opinions on high profile cases become polarized through the lens of media and public opinion.

For me it is essentially on a par with parents who dine in their back garden out of ear shot of their children.
    you must have a large backgarden? and if your in it dining to you walk 120 metres and set your table up. also do you leave your front door unlocked? and are your children aged 2 and 3? The night before did your 3 year old say mum i woke up last night and i was scared and you werent there?

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q63/minnieminx_2007/madeleine/0200725078700.jpg

GetWithIt wrote: »
    Do you know the chat was pompous or is that just a supposition.

This is the third supposition I've asked for clarification on in 4 pages (without reply). I suspect this reflects more on our preconceptions and how opinions on high profile cases become polarized through the lens of media and public opinion.
    I said pompous in anger apologies. Im sure their converstaion that night was modest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Agreed. Not locking door was seriously irresponsible.

Agree as well.
    But that is not really relevant to the point I am making. People would still be accusing the McCanns of negligence even if they had locked their doors.

Correct because most sensible adults would not leave small children alone in an apartment while they went out for a few beers.
    Do the problem remains. Tapas bar or back garden? What is the material difference?

The difference is the risk element. If you were inclined to rob someone's unlocked house, would you do it if they were sitting outside in the back garden where you could possibly get caught? Or would you watch the owner's movements and wait until they were too far away to hear anything? If (as you suggest above) they were 1200 metres away it would make it all the easier.
    (and of course people do not necessarily lock their house when they sit in the back garden)

I do.

No i'm not ducking any question at all I have clearly stated we live in the year 2011 not the ice age! We have Baby Monotor's which are very very effective! They are also very very cheap to buy just a couple of Pound's You can hear your baby breath so any decent parent would have this device & use it for which it was intended & that would include the Garden...Unless you live in Buckingham Palace!!

Their action's we're irresponsible no question in my mind & this distance thing is just utter Rubbish...& you know this too... This question was ignored by yourself because you realised how silly your trying to make this sound>>>> So if I am in the Kitchen & making a cup of tea & turn my back & my child reaches up & grab's the Lead of the Kettle...On your understanding I would have as much chance of stopping them being Scolded if I was stood right next to them...Or 1,200 Metres away?MMMM doesn't work somehow!!!
    Please feel free to explain in your own time who would be likely faster to the child in this Case?!

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    If you think that its on par with dining in your own back garden then non of us can help you .I ask you this question then .If you were to have friends over and have BBQ in your back garden , kids in bed , door locked and monitor on or eat out with them down the road with your back to your house , door unlocked and no monitor .Which one would you consider safer ??If you think they are the same in safety and care its actually pointless even discussing it with you .
    You could help me if you could answer my question but you cannot.
    The BBQ scenario you describe is not the one I outlined. I suggested a case where there is no monitor and the children are out of ear shot? Would you consider this behaviour to be as negligent as the McCanns? You continually evade the question.
    you must have a large backgarden?
    Doesn't need to be large. Modern houses have good sound insulation.
    And with a few friends chatting it would be very difficult to hear a child once you are outside at all.
    also do you leave your front door unlocked? and are your children aged 2 and 3? The night before did your 3 year old say mum i woke up last night and i was scared and you werent there?
    Irrelevant to the point I am making. You might argue that these elements make their negligence worse. But I think you would still argue that they were negligent without these (correct me if I am wrong?)

You could help me if you could answer my question but you cannot.
    The BBQ scenario you describe is not the one I outlined. I suggested a case where there is no monitor and the children are out of ear shot? Would you consider this behaviour to be as negligent as the McCanns? You continually evade the question.

Irrelevant to the point I am making. You might argue that these elements make their negligence worse. But I think you would still argue that they were negligent without these (correct me if I am wrong?)
    As a matter of fact tis is posted by me on the previos page

I quote myself here
    if in fact parents sat in their garden and left three kids in an unlocked house and no monitors on and no way of hearing them in distress I would question the suitablity as well .
    There is safe and there safe and you do your damnest to be doubly safe and overly safe
    I have had nieces stay over here with young children .They are upstaris in bed and we have a monitor on and the stair gate on and the hall door secure and we are only in the kitchen .
    For heavens sake how on earth can that be the same as down the road in a bar

.Double posting , no clue how !!

• Advertisement

?
    And speaking of evading questions I asked you this Lugha in a previous post .

I think the posters who have addressed my question have not satisfactorily answered it. They throw in red herrings and straw men and all manner of things to avoid and evade what it being asked. So I will have one final attempt at asking the question, and this time, I will do so in the context of what many believed happen to Madeleine.

Madeleine possibly woke up and called for her parents who obviously could not hear her. Eventually she gets out of bed and perhaps climes up on something to be able to view out the window. She falls, hits her head and is fatally injured.

Now the BBQ scenario. Parents and friends are in a garden (small as you like!). They cannot hear their children and they have no monitor. One of their kids wakes up and called for her parents who obviously could not hear her. Eventually she gets out of bed and perhaps climes up on something to be able to view out the window. She falls, hits her head and is fatally injured.

My question is very simple. If the first scenario constitutes gross neglect, why not the second one?

PS Apologies. I missed the post by iamwhoiam who says she would question the suitability of parents who acted as I describe. But would you describe is as gross negligence and would you demand that such parents be prosecuted?
    I think many people who think the McCanns should be prosecuted would say no.

And speaking of evading questions I asked you this Lugha in a previous post .
    I did answer that. The BBQ scenario you describe is NOT the one I proposed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭autonomy

This s*#t gives real conspiracy theories a bad name

I did answer that. The BBQ scenario you describe is NOT the one I proposed.
    Fine , I am out of here ,.I think you are on a wind up to be honest ,You enjoy argueing where there is non .I actually cant be botherd now the tennis is far more entertaining
    Every responsible parents and that now includes the Mc Canns know it was unsafe and that it is nothing like being in your garden .On that note i leave you do argue as you see fit .

I think the posters who have addressed my question have not satisfactorily answered it. They throw in red herrings and straw men and all manner of things to avoid and evade what it being asked. So I will have one final attempt at asking the question, and this time, I will do so in the context of what many believed happen to Madeleine.

Madeleine possibly woke up and called for her parents who obviously could not hear her. Eventually she gets out of bed and perhaps climes up on something to be able to view out the window. She falls, hits her head and is fatally injured.

Now the BBQ scenario. Parents and friends are in a garden (small as you like!). They cannot hear their children and they have no monitor. One of their kids wakes up and called for her parents who obviously could not hear her. Eventually she gets out of bed and perhaps climes up on something to be able to view out the window. She falls, hits her head and is fatally injured.

My question is very simple. If the first scenario constitutes gross neglect, why not the second one?

PS Apologies. I missed the post by iamwhoiam who says she would question the suitability of parents who acted as I describe. But would you describe is as gross negligence and would you demand that such parents be prosecuted?
    I think many people who think the McCanns should be prosecuted would say no.
    I haven't thrown any fishes or Strawmen around anywhere!! You keep refering to other poster's as not answering your question's!! I suggest you do as you keep preaching & answer some question's yourself...Like the Kettle question for instance!! But I do understand why you haven't addressed it because you know how utterly Ridiculous the point you made that distance make no difference is...Again we live in the year 2011 not the iceage...every responsible parent would buy a baby Moniotor they aren't expensive so it's reasonable any decent parent would add this device just as they would buy Clothing to keep the Child warm & give said child food! It's not rocket science it's called parenting! & Commen sense...It doesn't matter how you try & twist this situation into your BBQ garden fiasco....Because no one cares about what if's...They only care about children being k]left to their own devices in the years 2007...Your argument doesn;'t exist only in your Mind...

I haven't thrown any fishes or Strawmen around anywhere!! You keep refering to other poster's as not answering your question's!! I suggest you do as you keep preaching & answer some question's yourself...Like the Kettle question for instance!! But I do understand why you haven't addressed it because you know how utterly Ridiculous the point you made that distance make no difference is...Again we live in the year 2011 not the iceage...every responsible parent would buy a baby Moniotor they aren't expensive so it's reasonable any decent parent would add this device just as they would buy Clothing to keep the Child warm & give said child food! It's not rocket science it's called parenting! & Commen sense...It doesn't matter how you try & twist this situation into your BBQ garden fiasco....Because no one cares about what if's...They only care about children being k]left to their own devices in the years 2007...Your argument doesn;'t exist only in your Mind...

I’m sorry but you are straw manning. You are refuting a point I am not making.

I do not dispute that that it is reasonable that parents make use of monitoring equipment. I do not dispute that a parent can provide better protection against hazards like kettle when they are close by. You have made it clear that you do not approve of the McCanns skills and you have expressed many views on how you feel children should be cared for, and I wouldn’t disagree with a lot of what you say. But you have not answered the question I have asked
    I put my question very clearly in the post you quoted. I outlined two scenarios which I think are for all practical purposes the same, and asked was in reasonable to regard only one of them as constituting child neglect. This is the question I have asked.

And only iamwhoiam has even partially answered that by conceding that she would not approve of the BBQ behaviour either. Regrettably the tennis restarted before she could clarify whether she considered is child neglect or not. :)

You have not answered that question. Does the BBQ scenario I outlined (not your one, not the kettle or anything else) constitute neglect to the same degree at the McCanns behaviour? And if not, why not?

The truth I believe is that you want them to be different but you cannot actually find a good reason (and saying a bar is not the same as a garden is not a good reason) why they are different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Given Calpol or something simialr to make her sleepy. overdid the dosage, dead when they got back and they hid the body.

Paracetamol would take a few days to kill,a slow painful death.
    Im not sure we will ever find out what happened.

I’m sorry but you are straw manning. You are refuting a point I am not making.

I do not dispute that that it is reasonable that parents make use of monitoring equipment. I do not dispute that a parent can provide better protection against hazards like kettle when they are close by. You have made it clear that you do not approve of the McCanns skills and you have expressed many views on how you feel children should be cared for, and I wouldn’t disagree with a lot of what you say. But you have not answered the question I have asked
    I put my question very clearly in the post you quoted. I outlined two scenarios which I think are for all practical purposes the same, and asked was in reasonable to regard only one of them as constituting child neglect. This is the question I have asked.

And only iamwhoiam has even partially answered that by conceding that she would not approve of the BBQ behaviour either. Regrettably the tennis restarted before she could clarify whether she considered is child neglect or not. :)

You have not answered that question. Does the BBQ scenario I outlined (not your one, not the kettle or anything else) constitute neglect to the same degree at the McCanns behaviour? And if not, why not?

The truth I believe is that you want them to be different but you cannot actually find a good reason (and saying a bar is not the same as a garden is not a good reason) why they are different.
    Here we go again, The question you want me to answer has nothing to do with this, it's just your way of trying & failing to twist a situation that DID happen, & a PRETEND one that Didn't happen!! The Mccann's wasn't I repeat Wasn't in any Garden having a BBQ or anything else...There was nooooo Garden!!so your question again as I said earlier is Irrelevant & keep asking the same question is just proving you have no come back to the "REAL" Situation these children "WE'RE" left in.!!
    This is about a little girl who has disappeared NOT point scoring at it's worst level & while we have silly supposed scenarios we're not moving on!!

Also refering IamwhoIam... This poster couldn't be bothered debating this any longer with you...Someone else who kept asking you question's you didn't & couldn't answer so off you go on your Pretend BBQ Rant again can we all be wrong?? I think not!

• Advertisement

Here we go again, The question you want me to answer has nothing to do with this, it's just your way of trying & failing to twist a situation that DID happen, & a PRETEND one that Didn't happen!! The Mccann's wasn't I repeat Wasn't in any Garden having a BBQ or anything else...There was nooooo Garden!!so your question again as I said earlier is Irrelevant & keep asking the same question is just proving you have no come back to the "REAL" Situation these children "WE'RE" left in.!!
    This is about a little girl who has disappeared NOT point scoring at it's worst level & while we have silly supposed scenarios we're not moving on!!

Also refering IamwhoIam... This poster couldn't be bothered debating this any longer with you...Someone else who kept asking you question's you didn't & couldn't answer so off you go on your Pretend BBQ Rant again can we all be wrong?? I think not!
    Well said Misty , I am of the opinion that Lugha is winding us all up for sport .Except a little girl is missing and its no sport for her
    I am not answering any hypothetical BBQ scenarios that didnt happen . Because whether or not we consider pretend BBQ scenario bad , good or indifferent is so irrelevent to the Mc Cann situation .
    :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement