Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comely Maidens Dancing at the Cross Roads - Lipstick, Powder & Politics

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Here is an article that Edna O Brien wrote for the New York Times in 1886 about Eileen O'Leary and meeting Maude Gonne.

O'Brien is one of the great Irish writers .

People used to think in Ireland that she invented sex.

May 11, 1986
    [SIZE=+3]Why Irish Heroines Don't Have To Be Good Anymore[/SIZE] By EDNA O'BRIEN

I left my father's house.
    And ran away with you.
    And that was no bad choice
    You gave me everything.

t.gifhat poem was composed by Eileen O'Leary in 1773 after her husband had been killed by a British soldier. Her husband, Art O'Leary, who was an officer in the Austrian Army, refused to sell his favorite mare to the British soldier and was shot because Catholics were not permitted by law to possess a horse of more than $:5 in value. She describes in detail her husband's beauty, his white breast, his valor, the children who do not yet know of the tragedy and how she came to know of it when the horse came back, bridle trailing, bloodied from forehead to polished saddle. She mounted it and was brought to the spot where her husband lay. Your blood in torrents Art O'Leary I did not wipe it off I drank it from my palms.
    It is one of the most rapacious love poems and one of the greatest laments ever written. Passion is given full rein. No timidity here, no deference to the weaker sex. The words and the emotions are as bold and declarative as a man's. Incest and jealousy are then raised when in the poem his sister speaks - she tells of her own grief and how desolated the women of Cork will be, those women who would not sleep alone if they could sleep with Art.
    It is in the glorious tradition of fanatic Irish writing which flourished before sanctity and propriety took over. Another such poem is ''The Old Woman of Beare,'' in which a goddess has to put aside earthly pleasures and become a nun. She reflects on her figure as it once was, plump and round, her cloak, her jewelry and ''men most dear - horseman, huntsman, charioteer.'' She admits that her body is now so scraggy it would make a boy start in dread and nobody comes to comfort her in her dark cell.
    There is Grania (similar to Iseult), the sorceress who left her elderly royal husband and eloped with a young lover, Diarmuid. She sits over his bed of rushes, singing him to sleep with a lullaby about her other illicit lovers, those who for one sweet night forgot the terrors of their flight.
    Love and passion suffused these early poems, both those written by women and those written about women. What makes them so modern is that the women took the initiative in love and courted their men with words and flattery the way knights courted women. It is true that all these heroines came to a calamitous end but their tragedy is grand tragedy and not a rasping lay composed by a merely bitter woman. When Deirdre of the Sorrows saw her husband slain she tore her golden hair out, became distraught, uttered the most rending lament and then fell down beside him, and died.
    Times changed and things became more conventional. The daring or dauntless woman was still retained in fiction but as a secondary or even a ludicrous character. Irish heroines had to be gentle, tremulous, gullible, devout, masochistic and beautiful. The most famous was in a 19th-century novel called ''The Collegians'' by Gerald Griffin. It charts the fate of a young girl called Eily O'Connor, a rope maker's daughter, of ''a timid hesitancy, downcast gentleness of manner which shed an interest over all her motions and a tongue that seemed to move on sil-ver wires.'' She is of course extremely devotional, an adoring daughter and a wonderful cook. Naturally this perfect vessel is ready for contamination and the redemption that eventually comes with it. Her father chooses a sensible suitor for her whom she rejects, then she leaves home, meets a cad called Hardress, falls hopelessly in love with him, gets married in secret, is banished to a lonely cottage and eventually has to be bumped off because his mother wishes him to marry a rich heiress. However, her body is washed up on the shores and true to the mores of sentiment Eily is found lying in the mud, her blue mantle over her frame, her small feet in Spanish leather shoes and in her death her virtue inviolate, perfectly embodying Portia's description of the candle - ''a good deed in a naughty world.''
    A plethora of such heroines with hazel eyes, auburn hair, all either ruined or reaching the brink and rescued by a man ''bearing a small packet, really to be too small but what the girl's throbbing heart divined it to be - an engagement ring.'' These were one's daily or rather one's nightly meat, read with a light of candle or a flashlight because to read at all was a sin. Oh to be them, to have finery, hectic flushes, smelling salts, secret liaisons and fairly cretinous psyches.
    There was of course another kind of heroine and two in particular were living legends both for their beauty and their patriotism. One was Constance Markiewicz, of whom Yeats wrote the great poem -The light of evening, Lissadell, Great windows open to the south, Two girls in silk kimonos, both Beautiful, one a gazelle.
    She fought in the Easter Rebellion of 1916, was captured, sentenced to death but got a reprieve and died a pauper. Such was her spirit that it is said that as she got ready to fight in the rebellion she said, ''I'll have a pistol here and a pistol here and my best hat.'' The undoubted queen was of course Maud Gonne MacBride, whom Yeats described as ''high and solitary and most stern.'' He asked if there was ''another Troy for her to burn.'' Poetry was not her passion, politics and revolution were. She went around the country spurring people to fight, to throw off the yoke of England, and so dazzled were they by her passion and her appearance that they touched her garments hoping to be saved. She was both muse and tormentor to Yeats, who was besotted by her pale luminous skin, her red-gold hair, her fierce eyes flecked with gold and above all her disdain of conjugal love in favor of lofty patriotism.
    One day in the early 1950's I saw a very tall woman in St. Stephen's Green in Dublin, bending over to talk to someone; she was dressed completely in black, almost like a nun, and indeed had what Yeats's sister Lily described as a sort of royal smile. It was Maud Gonne, the ''burning cloud,'' as Yeats described her. Seeing her sent a shiver through me. I had touched or rather glimpsed both politics and poetry. Unwittingly it spurred me to write.
    Around the same time I made my first acquaintance with the greatest of Irish literary heroines -Pegeen Mike in J. M. Synge's ''Playboy of the Western World.'' This was no Deirdre but rather a plucky heroine who befriends a young man who claims to have murdered his Da. It was this play which made the zealots of Dublin riot on the opening night proclaiming that no Irish woman would spend a night under the same roof as a man unless she was married to him and no Irish woman would befriend a murderer. Although Pegeen loves Christy Mahon she makes certain to taunt him and even conjectures aloud on the grisliness of his hanging - ''It'd make the green stones cry itself to think of you swaying and swiggling at the butt of a rope.'' Like many another Irish heroine she has in the end to be reconciled to the loss of Christy, whose irate father comes and drags him home with a halter. She utters the great line - ''Oh my grief, I've lost him surely. I've lost the only Playboy of the Western World.''
    It was with this jumble of association and dream and hope that I first sat down to write. Realizing that the earlier heroines were bawdy and the later ones lyrical I decided to have two, one who would conform to both my own and my country's view of what an Irish woman should be and one who would undermine every piece of protocol and religion and hypocrisy that there was. As well as that, their rather meager lives would be made bearable by the company of each other. Kate was looking for love. Baba was looking for money. Kate was timid, yearning and elegiac. Baba took up the cudgel against life and married an Irish builder who was as likely to clout her as to do anything else. That was 20 years ago. The characters remained with me as ghosts, but without the catharsis of death. I had never finished their story, I had left them suspended, thinking perhaps that they could stay young indefinitely or that their mistakes might be canceled out or they would achieve that much touted fallacy - a rebirth.
    Coming back to them I knew that Baba's asperity had to prevail. Heroines don't have to be good anymore, because more women are writing fiction and are eager to express the more volatile part of themselves; equally they are less beholden to men. The masks are coming off by the minute. Long ago I had Baba exclaim, ''It's not the vote women need, we should be armed,'' and I was castigated for it, charged with raucousness and a fatal departure from my lyrical self. But lyricism had to go, just as emotion had to be purged. In his film ''The Marriage of Maria Braun,'' Rainer Werner Fassbinder (who knew a thing or two) had a character say, ''It is not a good time out in the world for emotions, anymore.'' Lament it as we may we must accept that fact. Baba's voice is relevant to now, her assault on the world around her, the world of both men and women that she surveys with a scalding humor. I don't think it is that I have grown angrier with the years but rather more aware, and to wage war with words is a far healthier way than any other kind of warfare.
    Baba came to me partly through an impatience with my own character and partly in acknowledgment of that long line of daring and invincible heroines which includes Nana, Becky Sharp, Molly Bloom and Scarlett O'Hara. Above all I like to remember what Yeats said, which is that it was ''his job to die blaspheming.''
    Edna O'Brien is the author of more than a dozen books of fiction, including ''A Fanatic Heart: Selected Stories.''

Return to the Books Home Page

http://www.nytimes.com/books/00/04/09/specials/obrien-heroines.html

Two great little court reports here

If a guy proposed and changed his mind he could be sued for breach of promise. A dowry and Decanter of Whiskey could turn a mans head.

John Duff, when being sued for breach of promise of marriage, noted that he had changed his choice of bride as his new intended had, in addition to a dowry of 800l, ‘kept a nice table with plenty on it, and a large decanter of whiskey’. His new bride’s reputation for keeping a good table spoke favourably of her potential as a wife.

The case of the Hungry Ducks but really how extended families reacted
    In contrast, Mrs Ellen Shanahan of Thurles, who moved into a farmhouse with her husband John and brother-in-law Mickey, found it difficult to make a place for herself. Mickey assaulted her, claiming that her ducks were trespassing on his corn. During the trial for assault, Ellen complained that she was given no access to household resources; her only source of income was her poultry and this too was denied to her. When she was on the stand, her ability to work on the farm was central to the validity of her claims. The defence lawyer asked: ‘Owing to some huff after the honeymoon, you refused to do anything for them, even to cook a meal for them?’ She replied: ‘I did everything I could until they took everything out of the house from me. They left me no handling whatsoever.’ Ellen’s claim to rights on the farm was disputed by the defence lawyer who challenged her work-ethic; in turn, Ellen responded by highlighting that it was the men’s behaviour that caused her problems. While new models of domesticity shaped the form and classification of women’s work on the farm, the relationship between productive labour and women’s power in the household continued to be vital in Irish culture.

http://womenshistorynetwork.org/blog/?p=830

Some interesting observations on the link but I knew guys when growing up who handed their wage packets to their wives and got spending money back and dealing with tradesmen wives often do the books and control the money.

The late 19th century saw a huge change in Irish Society - the first time people lots of people had money

The very sad story of Bridget Cleary touches on a lot of issues

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055739655

Here is an interesting little story of politics and murder and a widow
    In the winter of 1909 a sensational case of murder was broadcast in the national press, and at the center of it was a young police constable from County Mayo.

The area around Craughwell, County Galway had been for many years a disturbed and violent region due to the effects of the Land Wars; a political and economic movement dedicated to redistributing land held by landlords and large farmers. Although the movement had largely died out it was re-ignited in South Galway by one Tom Kenny, a member of the IRB and (later) Sinn Fein. As part of his activities he selected the 16 acre farm at Templemartin to be targeted and broken up, with the land distributed to the members of his society. Against him was the landlord, Lord Clanricarde, and his tenant farmer Mary Ryan. Mrs Ryan was a widow and had returned from America some years ago with her two children aged 18 and 13. She was from Craughwell, and aware of the tensions in the area, had got the blessing of the local United Irish League to move onto the farm. However this did not satisfy Tom Kenny, and she was subjected to a campaign of vicious intimidation with shots being fired near her as she walked home, her hay burned, and the walls of her farm being overthrown (under Irish law an unfenced farm could be grazed by anyone - it was treated as common land).

During the week leading up to the murder two workmen named Malone and Coady were repairing the wall, under the protection of a single police constable. On Friday 22 January Constable Martin Goldrick was detailed to the job. Around 8.30 a.m. shots were fired by three men lying in bushes near a railway bridge, seriously injuring the two workmen. Constable Goldrick immediately moved towards the men who fled, but he continued to chase them with his revolver drawn. The men then turned and fired a shotgun from about 25 yards distance into Goldrick's forearm. He collapsed into a sitting position in a gap in the wall and tried to staunch the blood flow with a handkerchief. Meanwhile the men were closing cautiously on him, and when they were within 5 yards range they fired a second shotgun blast into his chest. He died instantly.

The police party sent to investigate on the day of the murder.outside Mrs Ryans's cottage.

c00363ab2429f45b080b2b3a0348600bc5002044.pjpg

A witness had seen the entire spectacle from the bridge and identified two men who were brought to trial. The court case was drawn out over several months but the men were acquitted. Nine others were bound over for intimidating Mrs Ryan's 11 year old boy. The man who had actually fired the fatal shot was never arrested but spent the rest of his life repenting what he had done. Tom Kenny, who was the cause of all the trouble, was ousted by the local farmers and suffered violent harassment himself; he eventually moved to America and only returned to Ireland after the Civil War.

Mrs Ryan continued on the farm. The 1911 census shows her as still living there with her son Michael (now) aged 15, he is shown as being an American citizen. Craughwell continued to have a large police protection, two Huts being erected in the vicinity to house about 12 men.

Constable Martin Goldrick 61943 was born at Killala, County Mayo and had been in the police for only 3 years. He was 24 years old when he was killed. The RIC erected a tablet to his memory which was placed over the fireplace of the Depot Library. It read:

"Erected by the Officers and Men of the Royal Irish Constabulary in memory of Constable Martin Goldrick, who fell while bravely discharging his duty at Craughwell, County Galway, on 22nd January 1909".

For those who dont know the story of Art O' Leary he was an Irish Catholic Officer in the Service of Austria who was judicially killed in West Cork because he refused to sell his valuable horse to a protestant magistrate under the Penal Laws.

His wife,Eileen (Daniel O'Connell's aunt) composed a Lament

6. The Caoineadh. Eibhlin Dubh ni Chonnail.
    The story of Art O Laoire would probably have been forgotten long ago, but for the Caoineadh which was composed over his body at the Wake, by Eibhlin Dubh. Keening the dead, was an old tradition, and the Keen itself followed a well established pattern. This was an oral tradition, but in many cases, as happened here, the Keen became retold by Seanachies and others over the subsequent years. Whether it was improved on as time passed, we have no means of knowing, but the version which was finally put to print and became part of our culture, is regarded as a master piece of its genre, has been translated many times, and is largely responsible for the continuation of the legend of Art O Laoire.

Here is the first part
    The Lament [Keen] For Art Ó Laoghaire
    translation by Thomas Kinsella

I

The extracts in this section appear to have been uttered by EibhIín over her husband's body in Carriginima.

My steadfast love!
    When I saw you one day
    by the market-house gable
    my eye gave a look
    my heart shone out
    I fled with you far
    from friends and home.

And never was sorry:
    you had parlours painted
    rooms decked out
    the oven reddened
    and loaves made up
    roasts on spits
    and cattle slaughtered;
    I slept in duck-down
    till noontime came
    or later if I liked.

My steadfast friend!
    it comes to my mind
    that fine Spring day
    how well your hat looked
    with the drawn gold band,
    the sword silver-hilted
    your fine brave hand
    and menacing prance,
    and the fearful tremble
    of treacherous enemies.
    You were set to ride
    your slim white-faced steed
    and Saxons saluted
    down to the ground,
    not from good will
    but by dint of fear
    - though you died at their hands,
    my soul's beloved....

My steadfast friend!
    And when they come home,
    our little pet Conchúr
    and baby Fear Ó Laoghaire,
    they will ask at once
    where I left their father.
    I will tell them in woe
    he is left in Cill na Martar,
    and they'll call for their father
    and get no answer....

My steadfast friend!
    I didn't credit your death
    till your horse came home
    and her reins on the ground,
    your heart's blood on her back
    to the polished saddle
    where you sat - where you stood....
    I gave a leap to the door,
    a second leap to the gate
    and a third on your horse.

I clapped my hands quickly
    and started mad running
    as hard as I could,
    to find you there dead
    by a low furze-bush
    with no Pope or bishop
    or clergy or priest
    to read a psalm over you
    but a spent old woman
    who spread her cloak corner
    where your blood streamed from you,
    and I didn't stop to clean it
    but drank it from my palms.

My steadfast love!
    Arise, stand up
    and come with myself
    and I'll have cattle slaughtered
    and call fine company
    and hurry up the music
    and make you up a bed
    with bright sheets upon it
    and fine speckled quilts
    to bring you out in a sweat
    where the cold has caught you.

The full lament and replies from Art O'Leary's sister are here and we here Art was a "fine bedfellow".

http://www.irishcultureandcustoms.com/poetry/NiChonaill.html

More on the story here

http://homepage.eircom.net/~sosul/page56.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

Well the 'comely maiden' who caught de Valera's eye was Sinead Flanagan - who became known later as Sinead Bean de Valera. Not enough has been explored about her and her remarkable life IMO. Her son Terry did something in his book to draw attention to his mother's role in her husbands life and her influence on Dev. As one reviewer said:
    Readers ought to be particularly grateful to the author for helping to draw a strong profile of Sinead Bean de Valera, a remarkable and talented woman who is worthy of a biography in her own right. The author portrays his mother in a new and revealing light. He bases his writing on a memoir fragment written at his request by Sinead Bean.
    It was generally assumed, but now it is known, how 'the Chief' depended upon the courage and intellectual resilience of his wife. She had great dignity and humanity. Historians might profitably study Sinead Bean de Valera in order to understand better the political and social ideas of her husband; such as his/her views on divorce and the drafting of the 1937 Constitution.
    Universally respected, she raised her large family in very difficult times; often, in the post-1916 period, her husband was abroad, on the run, or sometimes the unwilling guest of the British and Irish governments.
    She was a primary school teacher and an Irish language enthusiast - she met Dev when he became her student when he enrolled in her Irish language evening class. She is somehow always there - in the background - at every moment in Dev's life yet never seems to get acknowledged for her influence on him and possibly his politics.

• Advertisement

Thanks MD.

I often think that Independence WWags (wives, widows & girfriends) efforts were hugely underrated.

Post execution a distraught Mrs Pearse spent a week going around Dublin in shock looking for her sons.

742.jpg?hunchentoot-session=129939%3A3C50133F3A5CB87BD898316B5151E3AA

http://multitext.ucc.ie/d/Hannah_Sheehy-Skeffington_and_Margaret_Pearse_c_1921

Seen here with Hannah Sheehy Skeffington in 1921 she became active in politics and was anti-treaty.

Sinead Bean DeValera wrote childrens books and I had this book of her childrens stories as a lad

http://www.librarything.com/author/valerasineadde

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

CDfm wrote: »

Hanna Sheehy-Skeffington spent the remainder of her life fighting for the rights of the individual, for workers, for the republic, and most consistently, for the feminist cause. She died in Dublin in April 1946 and was buried in Glasnevin. Her sisters, Mary and Kathleen, were married to Thomas Kettle and Conor Cruise O’Brien respectively.

Slight error of fact: Her sister Kathleen was married to Frank Cruise O'Brien, Conor's father. The Cruiser we all knew and loved/hated was her nephew.

Another interesting but largely forgotten "Irish" woman was Charlotte Despard, nee French. She was born in Kent into an Anglo-Irish family whose family seat was in Frenchpark Co Roscommon.

Her brother Sir John French was a pillar of the military establishment and became famous as the Commander in Chief of the British Expeditionary Force,the "Contemptible Little Army" that was sent to France in 1914 at the outbreak of the First World War and was largely destroyed before Christmas.

Charlotte meanwhile, after being widowed in her mid 40s became involved in charity work in London, an experience which radicalised her and caused her to become involved in Labour, suffragette and later Sinn Fein politics.

Moving to Ireland at the end of First World War she became involved in Cumann na mBan and various prisoners' dependents support activities. She opposed the Treaty and was imprisoned briefly during the Civil War.

Which of the two French siblings was the greater Irish person? The loyal military servant of the empire or the radical revolutionary who fought to undermine it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

ft2w1004tq_00008.jpg

Sinead de Valera with Dev and Douglas Hyde. Hyde was a friend of the couple and Sinead was an active member of the Gaelic League.

m.jpg

Sinead - date unknown.

The 1916 Widows were a unique bumch - here is Mrs Eamonn Ceannt and her sisters
    treaty1.jpg010.jpg
    Left Lily O'Brennan photographed with the delegation that negotiated the Treaty, 1921. Image courtesy of the Kilmainham Gaol Collection.
    Right Áine and Rónán Ceannt, from the Catholic Bulletin, 1916. McCoole Collection.
    Three Revolutionary Sisters

Elizabeth (Lily) O'Brennan. Born: Dublin 1878. Died: Dublin, 31 May 1948
    Kathleen (Kit) O'Brennan. Born: Unknown. Died: Unknown, 12 May 1948
    Áine Ceannt née Fanny O'Brennan. Born: Dublin, 23 September 1880. Died: Dundrum, 2 February 1954. Buried: Deansgrange Cemetery, Dublin.
    In Deansgrange Cemetery a grey headstone carved in old Irish script has an inscription in Gaelic that Áine, widow of Eamonn Ceannt (one of the leaders of 1916 Rising) is buried at that location. The headstone was erected a member of Eamonn Ceannt's 1916 Battalion, and because of this gesture, the resting place of three exceptional O'Brennan sisters - Elizabeth (Lily), Kathleen (Kit) and Fanny (who changed her name to Áine) has been marked.
    Áine married Eamonn Ceannt in June 1905 and they had one son, Rónán, born in June 1906. Eamonn became a founder member of the Irish Volunteers, Áine and Lily were members of Cumann na mBan. Lily was a member of the Marrowbone Lane garrison, under command of her brother-in-law. Áine, like the other wives, did not take part. Kit was not in Ireland. She emigrated to the United States where she worked as a journalist. She remained active in nationalist circles and Irish American organisations.
    Like many of the other widows of the 1916 leaders Áine assumed a public role following the Rising. She was Vice President of Cumann na mBan from 1917 to 1925 and simultaneously a member of the standing committee of Sinn Féin.
    During the War of Independence, Áine acted as a District Justice in the Sinn Féin courts in the Dublin suburbs of Rathmines and Rathgar. She acted as arbitrator for Dáil Éireann's Labour Department in wage disputes throughout the country. In 1920 she became a founding member of the Irish White Cross, a non-political organisation set up during the War of Independence to assist the families of Volunteers. She subsequently was elected Deputy Vice Chairman and served with the organisation until 1947. In America, Kit was arrested in Washington for pasting posters denouncing 'British Militarism' in Ireland. Meanwhile Lily was on the staff of the Ministry of Labour in the underground government, and wrote for the Irish Bulletin. She was secretary to the delegation that negotiated the Treaty in 1921, which brought about the Irish Free State.
    Both Lily and her sister Áine opposed the Treaty and in the Civil War that followed were active on the Republican, or Anti-Treaty, side. Lily worked for Erskine Childers and for the Sinn Féin organisation. She was arrested at their offices in 1922 and spent almost a year in prison in Mountjoy, Kilmainham and the North Dublin Union.
    Áine and Lily spent their final years living in Dundrum. Áine was a founder member of the Red Cross, serving as Honorary Treasurer of the Society from its inception in 1939 until 1947. Lily worked in the civil service and published a number of books in both English and Irish. Kit remains a mysterious figure who died in May 1948, the same month as her sister Lily - they were buried together in Deansgrange Cemetery. Áine died six years later and is buried beside them.

http://www.sineadmccoole.com/gonebutnotforgotten%5C/independence/three-revolutionary-sisters.htm

and Tom Clarkes widow Kathleen- Dublins first female Lord Mayor

kathleen_clarke.jpg018.jpg
    Left Memorial Card for Kathleen Clarke. McCoole Collection.
    Right Gravestone of Kathleen Clarke in Deansgrange Cemetery. Photo: Tara O'Reilly.
    The Widow: Kathleen Clarke

Born: Limerick, 1878
    Died: Liverpool, September 29 1972
    Buried: Deansgrange Cemetery, Dublin.
    Kathleen Clarke, formerly Kathleen Daly from Limerick, liked people to address her by her married name, Mrs Tom Clarke. Her gravestone reads: Chaitlin Ui Chleirigh, Baintreach, Tomáis S UÍ Cléirigh, a básaíodh i mBaile Átha Cliath, Bealtaine 3 1916. [Kathleen Clarke, widow, Thomas S Clarke, died in Dublin, 3 May 1916.]
    During her long widowhood of over 50 years she accomplished much. She was the first Lady Mayoress of Dublin, a TD, and a Senator but there is no mention of these facts on her gravestone. Yet her contribution was important enough to warrant a State funeral, which was recorded on film.
    In 1901 at the age of 23, Kathleen Daly married a man 20 years her senior. He was to her the embodiment of a heroic Irishman. Tom Clarke had served a 15 year sentence in England for treason. The couple had three sons - John Daly Clarke (b1902), Tom Junior (b.1908) and Emmet (b1910). Tom Clarke's involvement in nationalist politics culminated in his participation in the 1916 Rising, and his subsequent execution. Kathleen's only brother Edward (Ned) Daly was another of the leaders to be executed.
    Kathleen was a founder member of Cumann na mBan. She did not take part in the Rising as she had been selected by the Irish Republican Brotherhood to coordinate the distribution of support for the families of activists. Afterwards she was a key organizer in the aid distributed to prisoners' dependants, which was vital to establishing a network of sympathisers in the years of guerrilla war that followed.
    During the War of Independence, she was an active fund-raiser, she sheltered men and women on the run and worked as a District Justice in the Sinn Féin courts in Dublin for the north city circuit, and also as Chairman of the Judges on this circuit. In 1919 she was elected Alderman for Dublin Corporation. In this capacity she served on numerous committees and boards. She was also active in the White Cross, a non-political organisation set up in 1920 to assist the families of Volunteers.
    Although she opposed the Treaty, she was Chairman of a committee that tried unsuccessfully to negotiate a pact between Anti-Treaty and Pro-Treaty sides. The Irish Free State authorities imprisoned her for a short time in Kilmainham Jail in February 1923. In 1924 Kathleen went to the United States to lecture and raise funds on behalf of Republicans.
    A founder member of Fianna Fáil, between 1928-1936 she served in the Senate. She was Dublin's first female Lord Mayor, 1939-1943. In 1948, at the age of 70, she stood unsuccessfully for the Clann na Poblachta party. Throughout the 1940s she served on numerous hospital boards and the National Graves Association.
    In 1965 she left Ireland to live with her youngest son Emmet and his family in Liverpool, although she did return to Dublin in 1966 for the 50th anniversary celebrations of the Rising. She died in Liverpool on the 29 September 1972 aged ninety-four.

http://www.sineadmccoole.com/gonebutnotforgotten%5C/1916/kathleen-clarke.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Nhead

Women in education during the nineteenth century is an oft overlooked aspect of Irish history. Reformers such as Isabella Tod had a massive impact on the way education was provided for girls. She was also involved in many campaigns at the time such as the temperence society.

http://multitext.ucc.ie/d/Isabella_Tod

Margaret Byers was another women who was heavily involved:

http://www.ulsterhistory.co.uk/margaretbyers.htm

The first women graduates in Ireland benefited from the changes these women worked towards. http://www.ucd.ie/farewelltotheterrace/pdfs/page_06.pdf
    People such as Alice Oldham, who would later lead the fight for women to attend Trinity and along with Hannah Sheehy Skeffington set up the National University Womens Graduate Association.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Nhead

Jenny Wyse-Power is another interesting woman in history. She was a founder memeber of Sinn Fein and of Inghinidhe na hEireann. She was a member of the first Seanad in 1922.

http://www.kildare.ie/library/ehistory/2008/07/jenny_wyse_power_an_article_fr.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭premierlass

There's a new book about the Gifford sisters called Unlikely Rebels, reviewed here, http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2011/0326/1224293117961.html, which shows their interesting background (their brothers were baptised Catholic and remained unionist; the girls were baptised Protestant and took to nationalist politics) but it doesn't give much space to Sidney Gifford Czira, who I think was the most interesting.

Sidney was a journalist (pseudonym "John Brennan") who wrote for Bean na hÉireann and went to America and worked with Clan na Gael but later sided against them in the feuds of 1917 onwards. She married a Hungarian and separated from him shortly afterwards. She later worked for The Irish Press and Raidió Éireann. Her autobiography The Years Flew By was republished in the 1990s, I think, together with a selection of her writings and penportraits of those she had known such as Liam Mellows and Countess Markievicz.

She is one of the authors of an account of the 1916 Rising published in New York in 1916: http://www.archive.org/details/irishrebellionof00joym

A brief Youtube clip where she recalls Thomas McDonagh having a bit of fun at Pearse's expense: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vMXJjqBI7I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

There's a great exhibition on in the Hugh Lane in Dublin at the moment -
    'Women of Substance'.

Many of the women mentioned are featured, either as artists or muses.
    The real movers and shakers in Ireland back at the turn of the century!
    It's free and well worth a look if you're in the area.

Another favourite of mine is Peg Woffington and I posted on her and her sisrer Molly here on post 22 onwards a bit.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055964448&page=2

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Not too sure if this link is relevant, or a duplicate, but I'll post it anyway.

http://www.archive.org/details/womenofninetyeig00concuoft

Hey slowburner -great link

For lazy people here is the contents page and whats included

womenofninetyeig00concuoft_0013.jp2&scale=4&rotate=0

Just in case anyone has thought that I have forgotten about Hanna - well I haven't ( see the photo below for shoes :)).

She now drew closer to republicans like Frank Ryan and Peadar O’Donnell, becoming Assistant Editor of An Phoblacht, the newspaper of the IRA.history3.jpgIn 1930, in her capacity as secretary of the 'Friends of Soviet Russia', she travelled to Russia. On her return to Ireland she became Editor of the Republican File, a Republican Socialist journal, following the suppression of An Phoblacht and jailing of Frank Ryan. She became involved in the First National Aid Association which supported the dependents of Republican prisoners and gave continuous support to the Women’s Prisoners' Defence League. In January 1933 Hanna was jailed when she travelled to Newry, County Downspeaking on behalf of republican prisoners. She was arrested and held for 15 days in Armagh Jail as she defied an order banning from entering the Northern counties.
    Her income still came from journalism and occasional lecturing in the United States and Canada. In 1935 she opposed the Conditions of Employment Bill, aware of how its terms would curb the activities of working women and when the Constitution was passed she was a founder member of the Women’s Social and Progressive League which attempted to alert women to the implications of the anti-woman legislation passing through the Dáil. However, they failed to gain support in the 1938 General Elections. She resumed teaching while continuing to write and to lecture and in 1943, at the age of 66, Hanna stood as an independent candidate for Dublin. She hoped that she and other candidates would form a Women's Party but all four women failed to get elected. Hanna suffered ill health for much of 1945. One of her rare outings was to the RTE studios, to be interviewed on her life. By 1946 she was unable to work. She died on Easter Saturday 20 April 1946. The Irish Times obituary described her as 'the ablest woman in Ireland'.

Ahead of her time, she campaigned on legislative issues.

What I find very interesting about Hanna is that she was born the year after my father's eldest uncle. That means that there are still people around that knew her.

Where I am hitting a wall , is who came after her and what organisations are there today that she was involved in.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Exile 1798

From the National Library's Flickr account.

5721711663_cf53bf2aff.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yournlireland/5721711663/sizes/l/in/photostream/ (larger, readable size)
    A handbill discouraging Irish women from fraternising with British soldiers. Inghinidhe na hÉireann (Daughters of Ireland) was formed in April 1900. Maud Gonne was a founder member and the organisation's first president. From 4 April 1914, the Daughters were absorbed into Cumann na mBan, the women's arm of the Irish Volunteers.
    Of this initiative, Maud Gonne wrote:

"The [Second] Boer War was on. ... It was in this year that I at last succeeded in founding Inghinidhe na hEireann (the Daughters of Ireland). ... O'Connell Street at night used to be full of Red Coats walking with their girls. We got out leaflets on the shame of Irish girls consorting with the soldiers of the enemy of their country and used to distribute them to the couples in the streets, with the result that almost every night there were fights in O'Connell Street, for the brothers and the sweet-hearts of Inghinidhe na hEireann used to come out also to prevent us being insulted by the English soldiers and the ordinary passers-by often took our side. The Dublin Police were slow to interfere, for we managed to get some Clergymen to denounce the danger to the morals of young innocent working girls consorting with the military, and persuaded the Dublin Guardians to raise the question of illegitimate babies in the Workhouses..."

From The Autobiography of Maud Gonne: A Servant of the Queen, edited by A. Norman Jeffares and Anna MacBride White, 1994, pp. 266-267

I recommend checking out the National Libraries flickr account, it's a veritable goldmine. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/yournlireland/)

5719663359_8ec2dc965e.jpg
    Sensational secrets?

News poster advertising a story in the Sunday Dispatch newspaper. The woman pictured was not a femme fatale, but rather Kathleen O'Connell (or Miss O'Connell, as she was universally known), long-time private secretary to Éamon de Valera. Having worked in the Irish consulate in Manhattan, Kathleen O'Connell started working for de Valera in 1923, at the age of 25. In an article in Life magazine, 14 February 1938, Miss O'Connell was described as:

"... a handsome, intelligent and efficient woman. As her employer has increasingly taken over the single-handed job of running Ireland, she has taken over the job of running her employer."

If Miss O'Connell had married, she would have been forced to resign her position, as was the case with all female civil servants in Ireland until the "marriage bar" was abolished in 1973.

Known as the Weekly Dispatch from 1801-1928, the Sunday Dispatch was published until 1961, and was a very popular British Sunday newspaper.

Date: 1930s

And if you thought Northern Irish Women were quiet :rolleyes:

In the UK universal suffrage for men over 21 & women over 30 was introduced in 1918 - women between 21 & 30 had to wait until 1928.

By comparison all men and women in the Irish Free State who were over 21 had the vote.
    TUMULT IN COURT MILITANTS' LATEST; They Create So Much Confusion That Proceedings Against Them Are Interrupted.

[ DISPLAYING ABSTRACT ]
    BELFAST, April 8. -- Militant suffragettes created so much confusion and noise in the Police Court here to-day, when Dorothy Evans and Madge Muir, officials of the Belfast branch of the Women's Social and Political Union, were brought up for trial, that the proceedings were adjourned.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F50910FB3D5E13738DDDA00894DC405B848DF1D3

Here is the skinny
    Belfast's Crumlin Road Gaol and discovered that many suffragettes were sent there for bombings and arson attacks.

The gaol is no longer in use, but in the early 19th century militant women campaigning for the right to vote were often inmates.

There were the same moderate and militant factions that existed in the movement generally. It was the more forceful women who planted bombs, set fire to buildings, destroyed mail in post boxes and smashed windows.

They included Dorothy Evans and Madge Muir who were arrested for possessing explosive materials.

During the court hearing, Dorothy Evans put up so much resistance she had to be restrained by six constables and the hearing had to be reconvened in Crumlin Road Gaol.

Remanded in custody, they promptly went on hunger strike and were released.

Then they hired a car, decorated it with suffragette flags and drove defiantly round Belfast before being rearrested.

Thanks to the persistence of women like them, in January 1918 the Representation of the People Act gave the vote to certain women, and in 1928 the Equal Franchise Act granted the vote to all women over 21.

And now huge numbers of people entitled to vote don't bother to do so - but that's another story.

(Information from leaflets available at Crumlin Road Gaol)

http://nickhereandnow.blogspot.com/search/label/Dorothy%20Evans

• Advertisement

There's a new book about the Gifford sisters called Unlikely Rebels, reviewed here, http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2011/0326/1224293117961.html, which shows their interesting background (their brothers were baptised Catholic and remained unionist; the girls were baptised Protestant and took to nationalist politics) but it doesn't give much space to Sidney Gifford Czira, who I think was the most interesting.

I came accross another review here

Unlikely Rebels, The Gifford Girls and the Fight for Irish Freedom By Anne Clare,
    Mercier, 2011
    Reviewer: Mairead Carew
    Unlikely Rebels The Gifford Girls and the Fight for Irish Freedom is a well written account of the role which the Gifford sisters – Grace, Muriel, Nellie,Ada, Kate and Sydney – were to play in 1916 and the struggle for independence.

They were ‘unlikely rebels’ as they were the daughters of Unionist parents, Frederick and Isabella Gifford. The sisters were raised Protestant but four of them subsequently converted to Catholicism. The Gifford parents disapproved of their daughters’ political activities and in particular the marriage of Grace to Joseph Plunkett​, one of the signatories of the 1916 Proclamation. Indeed Isabella Gifford was ultimately to disinherit three of her daughters – Grace, Nellie and Sydney.

She was described by Nellie as ‘a hen who had hatched out ducklings.’ This is the real strength of this book – the human price paid for the struggle for independence.

However, the author is inclined to labour the point about her disrespect for revisionist history and that ‘It was the easiest thing in the world to set aside revisionists and happily associate with those who identified with the patriotic dead.’

The real strength of this book is showing the human price paid for the struggle for independence.
    It is not within the remit of this article to argue this point, but the writing of history is not value-free and is always written from a particular perspective and within the context of the current cultural and political milieu. That said, the author adopts a compassionate and empathetic view of her subjects which not only brings them to life, but elucidates their possible motivations for their political activities and the thinking of the times which influenced them.

The reader is introduced to TempleVillas, the ten-roomed residence in Rathmines, where the Gifford children were reared and their nursemaid, Bridget Hamill. It was she and the servants who ‘passed on the deep resentments of a race never completely conquered, even after 700 years,’ while working in what was a typical Dublin Victorian household of the Ascendancy Protestant class. Their education is described bySydneyas follows: ‘It was a well-kept secret in my school that we lived inIreland, or had any history of our own at all.’

The best known of the sisters was Grace, who tragically married Joseph Plunkett, on the eve of his execution on 3 May 1916. Indeed, the original intention of the author was to tell the story of Grace but she decided that the story of the whole family was ‘well worth recording’. However, Grace still tends to dominate the book even though much use is made of the papers of Nellie Gifford-Donnelly.

Use is also made of Sydney’s memoir, entitled The Years Flew By. Clare’s book is a contribution to the cultural history of that period and also to women’s political history. For example, Grace, Muriel, Nellie andSydney attended AE’s literary salon withFrederick. There they met Casimir and Constance Markievicz​, the writers James Stephens and Padraic Colum​, the painter Sarah Purser, the Yeats family and Maud Gonne​.

The Gifford sisters were politicized through the medium of culture and were part of, according to the author ‘this Celtic buzz’. Thomas MacDonagh, who married Muriel Gifford, produced plays with Joseph Plunkett in the Irish language. MacDonagh wore Celtic dress, which included a kilt, brat and ‘Tara’ brooch, which scandalised respectable people in Rathmines.

The Gifford sisters, who came from the ‘Ascendancy’ class, were politicised through the medium of culture
    The author notes that ‘Shamefully, the figure of Nurse O’Farrell was airbrushed out in the familiar photograph of Pearse surrendering’ in 1916. However, she redresses this state of affairs somewhat in elucidating, through the varied lives of the Gifford sisters, an often neglected aspect of Irish history. They had been involved in the 1913 strikes, the anti-conscription campaign, the Easter Rising​, the War of Independence and the Civil War. Nellie had served under Commandant Michael Mallin and Countess Markievicz at the Royal College of Surgeons. Her duties included bringing medicine and food and carrying dispatches. She lost her job as a result of her political activities.

She was also involved in anti-British activities in America, despite the fact that two of her brothers were in the British army. Her sister Adabecame ‘Ireland’s first self-appointed spy’ in America. Sydneyhad worked as a ‘propagandist journalist’ for Séan MacDiarmada’s Irish Freedom. She also served on the Sinn Féin executive.

She wrote for An Phoblacht in the 1920s. After 1916 Grace continued publishing her political cartoons and was elected to the Sinn Féin executive in 1917. Kate was appointed as registrar of the first Dáil national loan. The Gifford sisters were all anti-treaty. Later, Nellie was ‘the secretary and moving spirit’ of the 1916 and War of Independence exhibition at the National Museum of Ireland.

An insight into the social history of the period is also provided. For example, a description is given of Nellie Gifford’s job as ‘an itinerant cookery instructress’ under the Department of Agriculture and Technical Instruction forIreland. She could only get accommodation in cottages as the ‘big houses’ did not take lodgers. She got herself dismissed from her accommodation as a result of her attendance at a local wake, which was frowned on by society at that time.

As well as the nationalist narrative, the book provides insights into the social and personal histories of the period
    Occasionally the tone of the book is gossipy. For example, the marriage of Grace and Joseph Plunkett is described as ‘the wedding of the year in 1916.’ There’s a description of the clothes of Count Plunkett​ (Joseph’s father and Director of theNationalMuseum) when he was obliged to meet the Viceroy at the museum. An ex-girlfriend of MacDonagh, Mary Maguire who married Padraig Colum, the poet, and friend of MacDonagh and Pearse, is described as having been at boarding school with Rose Fitzgerald​ who married Joseph Kennedy and gave birth to JFK.

A story is included about the wedding of Thomas MacDonagh and Muriel Gifford, when Patrick Pearse​ was meant to be a witness but didn’t turn up and a man cutting a hedge stood in for him. However, these anecdotes and connections do not detract from the story and give it a humanity, often perhaps missing from more academic accounts of the revolutionary period. Nellie Gifford herself wrote that ‘Data is a cold affair, for the professors. History will be cold on the warm, human motive that impelled them [the Irish rebels] towards their target, or the odd kinks, loves and capabilities – all in short that make the man live on.’ Or woman!

http://www.theirishstory.com/2011/08/16/book-review-unlikely-rebels-the-gifford-girls-and-the-fight-for-irish-freedom/

Oct O'Pussy the Irish WWII spy - bad joke I know but the paper's said dhe was not "horsey" and was good at her job
    The mystery of Ireland's lethally seductive spy

Thursday March 21 2002

The film 'Charlotte Gray' reveals the daring exploits of female agents in occupied France during the Second World War. One of the bravest was from Dublin, report MICHAEL MULQUEEN and JOHN MEAGHER. Fifty-eight years ago tomorrow, in the dark of the March night, a young Irishwoman parachuted into a field near Le Bourg, in France, and passed out. Her landing would have been harder were it not for the two million francs that were strapped to her leg.
    Seconds later two wireless-transmitter sets crashed onto the grass nearby, followed by packs of supplies that had also been tossed out of the low-flying aircraft after her.
    When she came to, Maureen "Paddy" O'Sullivan, a Dubliner whom her contacts would know as Micheline Marcelle Simonet or, simply, as Josette, stumbled across the field and somehow, fortuitously, headed in the direction of the local resistance, who had been waiting for her about half a mile away.
    Recruited into the secretive Special Operations Executive as a second lieutenant less than a week earlier, on St Patrick's Day 1944, O'Sullivan was a real-life Charlotte Gray, one of the 50 Allied spies dropped into occupied France who used seduction as a weapon of war.
    To a lonely, lustful German officer - and frequently to an ally in the French resistance, as well - a woman was rarely an aggressor. Instead, she was a thing to be charmed and, where possible, used as a sexual plaything.
    Like Cate Blanchett in the latest big-screen Second World War epic, who saves her lover from a German machine gun not by opening fire but with a passionate, lingering kiss, O'Sullivan and her fellow agents knew how to play the part - and the men who underestimated them sometimes paid with their lives.
    Playing dirty was par for the course, part of what Winston Churchill, who had ordered the Special Operations Executive to "set Europe ablaze", called total war.
    The women, whose training had included a commando course in the Highlands of Scotland, were taught how to use guns and explosives, trained in sabotage and wireless telegraphy and shown how to live covertly in occupied territory.
    Most importantly and controversially they had to master silent killing and unarmed combat. That such training was being given at all affronted Britain's military purists, who thought of war in terms of grand, open battlefields. That it was being given to women was anathema to them.
    As Air Chief Marshal Charles Portal wrote to a fellow officer: "I think you will agree that there is a vast difference in ethics between the time-honoured operation of the dropping of a spy from the air and this entirely new scheme for dropping what one can only call assassins."
    O'Sullivan had come to the attention of the Special Operations Executive in May 1943, as an acting corporal in the Women's Auxiliary Air Force No 45068 stationed at RAF Compton Bassett, in England. Her file shows she had been a student at the Commercial College in Dublin and was working at the beginning of the Second World War, with an address at 2 Charleville Road, in Rathmines.
    But if she had turned her back on the dullness of Dublin during the Emergency years, to look for adventure in Britain, her early days in uniform were not entirely happy.
    Although she seemed "to be popular with all the students", her training reports were nearly all bad, and her instructors were exasperated by her temper. At one point she went absent without leave.
    Her radio skills marked her out as a good wireless operator, however, "if her temperamental difficulties could be overcome", and, in what set her apart, she was fluent in French, Dutch and Flemish.
    Language skills were vital behind enemy lines, where O'Sullivan had been ordered to go as a wireless operator for the "Fireman" resistance circuit. She moved from safe house to safe house, using her Josette code name to transmit vital secrets back to London from the area around Limoges, the porcelain centre in western central France where the Gestapo and their French collaborators were ever-present dangers.
    The Nazis regarded radio operators as the weakest link in the resistance, as they had to use cumbersome wireless sets to send lengthy coded messages that German direction-finders could easily intercept.
    Facing almost certain death if she was caught, O'Sullivan learned reams of poetry to use as code, learning the lines by heart to cut down on risky transmission time.
    She is said to have found it hard to learn to ride a bike an unimaginable obstacle to a wireless operator, for whom mobility could mean the difference between life and death. O'Sullivan's difficulty with cycling could have been due in part to the chronic lung trouble she suffered throughout her mission.
    Her file notes that she kept herself on the move, however, cycling between the towns of Fresselines, Puylandon, Ganoillat and St Dizier, where she transmitted from a grocer's shop whose assistant would launch into song to warn her of danger.
    Although German agents followed her, and spies tried to infiltrate her resistance cell, O'Sullivan managed seven transmitters that had been hidden in the yards of houses, transmitting from all of them in the run up to D-Day, on June 6, 1944.
    Capture was never far away. Once, while cycling between safe houses with a wireless transmitter concealed in a suitcase that was strapped to her bicycle, she was stopped at a German checkpoint. The soldiers demanded she open the suitcase. But just then, when all seemed lost, a lieutenant arrived and, brushing past the soldiers, told O'Sullivan she resembled a woman he knew back home.
    She spun a yarn about how her mother was German and, for half an hour, flirted with him for all she was worth. Disarmed by the promise of a date the next day, the officer sent her off, forgetting to look in her suitcase.
    Such guile was part of the reason why O'Sullivan survived for so long in France; on such high-risk operations, agents had a life expectancy of just six weeks. Seven months into her mission, however, Paddy was returned to Britain.
    Having been commended by her superiors for doing a "first-class job", she was preparing for another foray, this time to Germany in early 1945, when some friends she had confided in revealed her exploits to the press.
    The Daily Mail described the 25-year-old as "a vivacious personality [with] good looks, calculated daring and a knowledge of languages" that made her "one of the most valuable pre-D-Day parachutists for the Allied Command in Europe".
    In a less gallant remark, an RAF squadron leader wrote in the Sunday Express that O'Sullivan and her fellow agents were interesting because they were "not hearty and horsey young women with masculine chins [but] pretty young girls who would look demure and sweet in crinolines".
    With her cover blown, the war held no further adventure for O'Sullivan. Her file ends with an entry that she went to India on 16 June 1945, some months before the Special Operations Executive was disbanded.
    Her life afterwards is a mystery. Despite exhaustive inquiries in Britain and Ireland, the Irish Independent could not trace her post-war years.
    The Foreign Office confirmed she was born on January 3, 1918, in Dublin, and died on March 5, 1994. We know, too, that she was awarded an MBE.
    A niece contacted the Foreign Office for information in 1990, but by then O'Sullivan was in a nursing home and too ill to correspond.
    Beryl Escott, a retired squadron leader and an expert on the Special Operations Executive, believes O'Sullivan suffered from Alzheimer's disease in her final years. In another dead end, the house at 2 Charleville Road has been converted to flats.
    Even now, it seems, the woman who spent the war deceiving those around her for the good of the Allies is still able to keep us in the dark.
    What happened to Maureen after the war? We would love to hear from anyone who knows. Please write to: Irish SOE Agent, c/o Features, Irish Independent, 90 Middle Abbey Street, Dublin 2

http://www.independent.ie/unsorted/features/the-mystery-of-irelands-lethally-seductive-spy-314346.html

I started a thread on the Norgrove Family women a few weeks back as a result of an arms cache find at their old house.

They derserve inclusion here

Thread link below .
    Gas fitter Alfred Norgrove and his wife Maria, and seven children ranging in age from a baby to a 13-year-old, were living there at the time the 1911 census was taken.
    The Norgrove parents, and two daughters named Emily and Annie, who would have been 18 and 16 in 1916, are documented for their part in the Rising.
    Emily and Annie were members of the Irish Citizen Army positioned in City Hall, while Alfred was in the GPO and sent to City Hall on Easter Monday evening.
    Mrs Norgrove, meanwhile, was in Jacobs.
    Records show that after the Rising, Alfred Norgrove was removed from Richmond Barracks on May 8, 19016 and incarcerated in Wandsworth Detention Barracks, London, on May 9.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74079324&utm_source=notification&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=notify#post74079324

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74079324&utm_source=notification&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=notify#post74079324

6095572587_f563b61900_o.jpg
    Lace Making, Donegal

These girls are being taught to make crochet lace. Small cottage industries helped families make extra money. The girls were paid while they learned their craft and the items they made were sold in Dublin shops.

There is a consumption prevention poster on the right hand wall.

Format: Glass Negative
    Date: circa 1900
    NLI Ref.: L_ROY_09178
    Reproduction rights owned by the National Library of Ireland
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/yournlireland/6095572587/in/photostream/

And now a look at how the other side got on...

6072027695_c36af47cbd_o.jpg
    Playing in the Water

The two girls have their long skirts tucked up and are holding onto each other as they paddle in the sea. They seem to be daring each other to go deeper into the waves.
    Format: Glass Negative
    Size: 10 x 13 cm
    Date: circa 1900
    NLI Ref.: CLAR39
    Reproduction rights owned by the National Library of Ireland
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/yournlireland/6072027695/in/photostream

Thought this thread was lacking in comely maidens. Though I must admit, as the water is obscuring their ankles, I can't really get too excited.

Advertisement