Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which event has best medal/t-shirt

Options
  • 22-05-2011 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭

Which event has the best medal and which event has the best t-shirt.

For me:
    Medal = Dublin City Marathon
    T-Shirt = Connemara Marathon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

More importantly, which event has the best event?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

To be fair, that's not the question they asked ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

Athens last year.

As it was an anniversary race medal was a once off and Addias Technical shirt probably worth bout 30 euros

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Little Rock marathon
    littlerock.jpg
    search%3Fq%3Dlittle%2Brock%2Bmarathon%2Bmedal%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Dactive%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3DTQw%26sa%3DX%26rlz%3D1R1GGGL_en-GB___IE359%26biw%3D1280%26bih%3D627%26tbm%3Disch%26prmd%3Divns&itbs=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

Birroc wrote: »
    Which event has the best medal and which event has the best t-shirt.

For me:
    Medal = Dublin City Marathon
    T-Shirt = Connemara Marathon

I don't from which year you have the t-shirt, but the one from this years connemarathon is SH!TE quality. I have a cotton one from 2008 and a tech one from 2009 which was decent quality and the print is still on them. But this years one is a much poorer quality material and the print(whats left of it) won't last long.

Anyway to answer question

Medal = Dublin
    T-shirt = Cork 2009. Nice red cotton top with funky design that always catches peoples eye

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Which event deserves a medal for ripping off the public.

For me:
    Connemara Marathon

There, fixed it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I really liked the t-shirt for this years Barcelona marathon:

IMG_1865.JPG

Dublin Marathon has consistently had the nicest medals of any race I have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

For me:
    Connemara Marathon

There, fixed it for you.

Bay run bantry. 50 euro and only got a banana to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I also love the Dublin marathon Medals. As for t-shirt the best one I ever got was at the Dundalk half marathon this year, they are illuminous green and will be great for running in the winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

dont have one but the gaelforce west t shirt look the biz.

i liked the dub marathon tech tops too 07/8. (altho the orange writing and the word finisher i thought were naffy enough)

medals dont do anything for me i'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Dublin Marathon medals are the best of the current ones I've got hanging off the end of a bookcase. I did get a Bristol Half medal donkeys years ago which was made of blue glass and so pretty unique, well apart from the other couple of thousand people who got one too.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

menoscemo wrote: »
    I really liked the t-shirt for this years Barcelona marathon:

IMG_1865.JPG
    Men's one was better than the women's one, ours was v-neck, black and pink (kirby no likey pink) and cut for Nora No-Boobs. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Illinois Marathon.

2011 medals. 5k, 10k, relay, wheelchair, half-marathon, marathon, youth run and 'I-challenge' medal. (do the 5k on Friday night and the half or full the next morning)
    medals.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Connemara Marathon
    So how much should we pay for one of the best organised races of the year?
    • Excellent organisation before and after IMHO
    • Transport for thousands of people to and from Galway [and elsewhere] out to the race in middle of nowhere [to 3 different starting points, for the 3 different races].
    • Loads of drinks out of course and loads of temp loo's all over course in middle of nowhere
    • A well organised bag drop..
    • Virtually unlimited food and soup afterwards in the hotel
    • A finishers tee-shirt which is nice and seems to last, unlike many others, you always see people in Phoenix park running on 3,4,5 year old ones, which have clearly been worn and washed many times [where others are cheap and dont last many washes

A bargain IMHO - for what you get

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

My favourite t-shirt is from the Loch Ness marathon. It features the logo from that picture:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_M1ruWuoN9-I/S9BRqQDzx7I/AAAAAAAAB6M/NTEjSC_5BzU/s1600/Loch+Ness+Marathon.JPG

So how much should we pay for one of the best organised races of the year?
    • Excellent organisation before and after IMHO
    • Transport for thousands of people to and from Galway [and elsewhere] out to the race in middle of nowhere [to 3 different starting points, for the 3 different races].
    • Loads of drinks out of course and loads of temp loo's all over course in middle of nowhere
    • A well organised bag drop..
    • Virtually unlimited food and soup afterwards in the hotel
    • A finishers tee-shirt which is nice and seems to last, unlike many others, you always see people in Phoenix park running on 3,4,5 year old ones, which have clearly been worn and washed many times [where others are cheap and dont last many washes

A bargain IMHO - for what you get

What people get and what people want are far too often very different.

What I want: A decent goodie bag, not what i received in Connemarathon 2011. Surely it would,'t have been too hard for someone to make contact with marketing/advertising depts and put some gels/drinks/bars/deod/sunblock etc into the bags. All I got was an empty white bag:eek:
    I also want a decent shirt be it cotton or technical. I refuse to accept that the 2011 "tech top" was a good quality top. It's sh!te.
    I want a decent medal.

And I don't want to hear about the lovely view. For the enrty fee I paid I could have filled the car brought the wife and 3 kids, drove to connemara and we would have all seen the lovely veiws.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

Best medal I've received to date is the Dublin Marathon.They seem to be consistently good quality every year, don't think the same can be said about the tshirts.Wasn't particularly impressed with the quality of the one last year,and they rush you on so quickly at the finish line I would say alot of people ended up choosing the wrong size.

On the point of goodie bags- I personally would prefer no goodie bag if it meant a race would be cheaper but I really think it's a disgrace that one of the big expensive races like Connemara has such poor goodie bags/tshirts considering it's a well established/promoted race.
    I ran the Sportsworld 5 mile race two weeks ago, entry fee 15 euros. At the finish line everyone got a bag with water/chocolate/flapjacks then there was also tea/coffee/sandwiches and cakes at the prizegiving.If they can organise that on a budget of 15 euro per head, with a total of 300-400 runners, what is the excuse of the Connemarathon organisers, raking in 70 euros per head from thousands of runners, yet seemingly unable to provide something similar:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

What ever about peoples other problems with Connemara [which I disagree with for the record, but I dont want to totally hijack the thread] - Im flabbergasted at people slagging off the teeshirt you get at end..

At the random boards training meet ups in phoenix park and in UCD its not uncommon at all for multiple people to be wearing Conn shirts at any one time [more than once everyone or nearly everyone is wearing one, often from 3 or 4 different years]. its easily the most common tee-shirt I see running around dublin, and thus is clearly durable and looks good, so folks like it [or they would not wear it].

The only thing I have, myself, which even comes close, is the compression top I got at Rathfarnham 5k, which is a great running top, spoiled with horrible print :)

You guys clearly have high standards [and I have no problem with that], or just a bee in your bonnet against the conn full stop [which I do, but its an issue for its own thread].

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

I loved this year's Paris marathon T-shirt, asics. The medal was super too although my 8year old son REALLY liked it cos it's a gold Eiffel tower so it's probably actually tacky! I would have liked to upload a picture but as I'm a newbie I haven't figured out how to yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Can't beat the WARs for the cycling top you get there.

• Advertisement

What ever about peoples other problems with Connemara [which I disagree with for the record, but I dont want to totally hijack the thread] - Im flabbergasted at people slagging off the teeshirt you get at end..At the random boards training meet ups in phoenix park and in UCD its not uncommon at all for multiple people to be wearing Conn shirts at any one time [more than once everyone or nearly everyone is wearing one, often from 3 or 4 different years]. its easily the most common tee-shirt I see running around dublin, and thus is clearly durable and looks good, so folks like it [or they would not wear it].

The only thing I have, myself, which even comes close, is the compression top I got at Rathfarnham 5k, which is a great running top, spoiled with horrible print :)

You guys clearly have high standards [and I have no problem with that], or just a bee in your bonnet against the conn full stop [which I do, but its an issue for its own thread].

I applogise to the OP for an off topic reply, but I feel you have neglected my point in any of my posts regarding the t-shirt. I did say that the 2008(cotton) and 2009(tech) shirts are still in good condition after many many turns in the washing machine. But the 2011 tech top is of a much lower quality then previous years ( i did not run conn in 2010). The 2011 was deffo not same quality of 2009. If you want to know the worse t-shirt I ever got, it was the limerick marathon 2010...... now if you come back defending that marathon in 2010....... Just letting you know that Conn is not my least favourite, that I have completed worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

baza1976 wrote: »
    I applogise to the OP for an off topic reply, but I feel you have neglected my point in any of my posts regarding the t-shirt. I did say that the 2008(cotton) and 2009(tech) shirts are still in good condition after many many turns in the washing machine. But the 2011 tech top is of a much lower quality then previous years ( i did not run conn in 2010). The 2011 was deffo not same quality of 2009. If you want to know the worse t-shirt I ever got, it was the limerick marathon 2010...... now if you come back defending that marathon in 2010....... Just letting you know that Conn is not my least favourite, that I have completed worse.

I have the 2009 tech top from Connemara and I love it. Durable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

baza1976 wrote: »
    the worse t-shirt I ever got, it was the limerick marathon 2010
    I thought it was great! Perfect for wearing at the start of another marathon when it's really cold, and discarding as soon as the race begins. We need more disposable long sleeve tops!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Best top I got was at the Tulfarris Ten miler. Helly Hanson long sleeve tech top, still in perfect nick.

Was disappointed with the Gaelforce top from last year. On first inspection, it looked fine. But it weighs a ton and the material is a bit crap. I've worn it twice.

Regarding goodie bags. Would prefer not to get one given how crap they usually are. They're usually used by the race organiser as a justification for the cost or as a reason to enter the race in the first place. Really don't see the point of a race advertising a goodie bag as a reason to enter the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Was disappointed with the Gaelforce top from last year. On first inspection, it looked fine. But it weighs a ton and the material is a bit crap. I've worn it twice.

I thought exactly the same about last year's Cork marathon t-shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Best top I got was at the Tulfarris Ten miler. Helly Hanson long sleeve tech top, still in perfect nick.

I second both those points.

The Tulfarris 10 top is great, and has been used tonnes.
    The Gaelforce tops are pure crap, and only get use as a base layer on a bad day.

The 2011 Wicklow Adventure Cycling Jersey is class too. Last years one was a tad small.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Tipp man running

I second that about the cork marathon top 2010, very heavy material...best medal the last few years has consistently been the Dublin marathon one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Completely forgot the Top from the Athlone 3/4 Marathon last year..... Helly Hansen, great quality and it always gets complimented when I wear it. I also use the rubbish tops as throw away tops to wear before a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jeffm587

I have a Conn T-shirt from 04 and 06. Still wear both in the gym and out for a run and they are both grand considering the hundreds of washes at this stage. Dublin medal for me is the best but I dont really care about the medals. Used to love the plaques in the 80's and 90's for Dublin. Belfast T shirt ,,awful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

Agree on the Tulfarris 10 top...really good quality Helly Hansen top-have used it more than any other.

Advertisement