Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introduce Yourself

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ModeMadFan

Hi,

Try this link

http://www.adoptionrightsalliance.com/Tracing%20Handbook%20for%20Adopted%20People%20Part%201.pdf

Read this as it gives some very good advice.

And one thing, don't give up. Find what Adoption Agency your were placed through and write to them. You get this by writing to the Adoption Board.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

hi sinead, please get on to tom joyce in the adoption board, as the previous poster said u might have been born their but that does,nt mean that they organised your adoption.
    i was born in bessboro but adopted through cunamh, the adoption board also hold a file on every adoption so u might be able to get some more non id info from them which will help in ur search for ur birthcert..kathy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sin_she31

Thank you both for your advice:)....I very much appreciate it. Ill keep ye posted.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Kornelia

Tempelton wrote: »
    Hi there folks,

(First of all, sorry if I go on a bit here - I am just a blabber mouth I fear...)

I am 30 years old and adopted. I have known of my adoption since I was seven years old. However, it was only in the last year - since moving back to Dublin from London - that I actively started searching for my birth mother. I scheduled a meeting with the Adoption Board (AB), since the agency that placed me with my adoptive parents is now dissolved, at the start of 2007. The people at the AB were pleasant and somewhat helpful, telling me (after some prodding by me) some basic non-identifying info - which, by the way, they should readily supply to any adopted person they hold files for...

They told me that they would instigate a search for my mother. When I called a few times, they had no news for me - no progress had apparently been made. Then I got a call from the AB that informed me that they had finally completed the first stage of the search (finding my birth cert, then my mother's birth cert). However, the AB also mentioned that the paper trail went cold and that no progress had been made beyond that point. Basically, the way to trace an adoptive parent is to find the child's original birth cert and then, from that, you will have the mother's name. You can then trace her through her birth cert and, if applicable, her marriage cert. This allows you to (hopefully) locate her most recent address and then to contact her. However, the AB informed me that she was apparently no longer at the most recent address that was registered with the records office (from her marriage in 1990) and so, the trail had gone cold.

After several more (increasingly irate) phonecalls from me, I was basically told that I was not a priority case and that I would have to wait. The reason I was "not a priority case" was that my mother had not put her details forward for the recently launched contact registry and thus, they (the AB) were giving priority to those who had. Tough luck - get in line, in short...

So, about three weeks ago I decided that enough is enough - I'm going to find her myself. So, off I set to Joyce House in Dublin (note: the records office has now shifted to the Ilac Centre) to find what I could find...

And now, for those of you who are SERIOUSLY bored and have nothing better to do), what follows is a 2-part account (taken from my posts on the Adoption-Ireland forum of how I traced my mother and where I am in the process now). Perhaps it will be useful for any of you forging ahead with your own trace:

Part 1
    Today I went to Joyce House and delved into the books for the year of my
    birth. I believe I found what I am looking for under the surname
    H****. My name is Mark H**** (which chimes with the "slightly
    unusual surname" line the adoption board fed me). I was born on the
    4th February, 1977. My mother's name is Aileen.

I checked through all the rest of the books (hard as it was, once I
    had found the above entry). I did find one other Mark born in Dublin
    on the same day - but I didn't pay it much heed since the surname
    and maiden name of the parents were different. I know my mother
    wasn't married and on the H***** entry, the surname and maiden name
    were the same.

So...

I got a copy of my birth cert, whereupon I learnt my mother's name
    was Aileen. I knew I was on the right path, since the birth cert
    said she was employed as a "nurse's attendant", which I already
    knew.

Then I went searching for her birth cert. Unfortunately, someone
    else there was hogging all of the books for the years I wanted to
    search through (around 1958). So, I skipped straight to the
    marriages. I vaguely remembered being told she had gotten married a
    fair few years later. So I searched from the mid-80's onwards. I
    eventually found an entry recording the marriage of Aileen H***y to
    Martin O'K****e on the 8th September 1990. I then got a copy of that
    cert.

I then skipped back to the birth cert books (which had become
    available again), searching for my mother's birth cert. I knew she
    was supposed to be 19 (if memory serves me correctly) when I was
    born. So I obviously searching for Aileen H**** in 1958.

But nothing. I went through 1956/7/8/9 and 1960 but no cigar. Lots
    of H****s getting married for sure, but no Aileen. My wife (who is
    American and should not know these things) told me that a lot of
    women back in the 70's, and beyond, in Ireland would often use their
    middle names before marriage? Has anyone else heard of this? So,
    using this as a reference, I did find a Susan A. H**** born in the
    2nd quater of 1958.

Not only does this chime with the birth date of Aileen H***** -
    listed on the marriage certificate as 4th April, 1958 - but also,
    the mother of Susan A. H**** and Aileen H**** shared the same maiden
    name: Duffy.

It sounds like a match to me! If not, how can I explain the
    apparent lack of a birth cert for my mother (unless she was either
    vastly older or younger than I have hitherto been led to believe)?

It was late in the day by that stage - too late to get a birth cert
    for the Susan A. H**** entry. I obviously need to get this next, in
    the hope that it will confirm a few details (such as her parent's
    forenames, which I need to compare to the ones listed on the
    marriage cert).

If that is a match then, due to it being the correct year, it surely
    must be her. If it does match, then I will try
    to find if they have had any kids (for recent address purposes).

The plot thickens...

Postscript: I did return to Joyce House a few days later and did indeed locate my mother's birth cert - the details tallied with those shown on the marriage cert, (i.e. same parental names). I also discovered that she, apparently, did not have any kids at any stage. Whilst interesting knowledge, this also meant that it would be difficult to locate her. You see, I already knew she had moved from the address she was living at at the time of her marriage (in Bayside). If she had moved and then had a kid, I would then have been able to locate her new address when the birth was registered. But since I found no such registration under her and her spouse's names, I was out of luck. What next?

Part 2:
    Well, I found my mum's current address today.

Already armed with her full name, I located her through the land
    registry (and by searching by her maiden name, after a search for
    her married name proved fruitless). It seems she has been living in
    Swords since 1994. In 2002 she reverted to her maiden name - this
    could be due to divorce or separation (or the death of her spouse -
    who, by the way, was almost certainly not my father). I also found her
    name on the most recent electoral register and this was also under
    her maiden name - and for the same address. The other slightly strange thing is that she has reverted to the first name listed on her birth cert once more (despite not using it on my birth cert or on her marriage cert). I
    am still sure it is her though, as to be otherwise would require
    unlikely levels of coincidence.

I have contacted the social worker I've been working with at the
    adoption board (who I made peace with last week, after a few
    difficult phonecalls). I'm going to be sending her a copy of all my
    findings, and she will then be writing to my mother on my behalf. I
    figure this is the best way to approach her - no doubt she would be
    shocked at the prospect of my lumbering presence abruptly exploding
    into her life.

But, the point is, it's her!

I highly recommend that people keep the land registry in mind when
    conducting a trace. Basically, most people who buy a property
    anywhere in the Republic of Ireland register those details (both
    husband and wife in most cases too) with the land registry. Just
    like Joyce House, these records are then open to the public for
    searching purposes. There are four offices in central Dublin, each
    one dealing with certain counties of Ireland. The one I went to (for
    Dublin) was on Nassau Street. I just went to the desk and the
    infinitely nice lady helped me find what I was looking for in a
    matter of minutes. So, if you have a birth mother or father's name
    but can't locate them in Joyce House records, I highly recommend
    doing a search at the land registry. You can read more about it here:
    http://www.landregistry.ie/index.asp?locID=12&docID=316

So, that's my story so far. I have written my letter and copied the documents to send to the social worker at the AB. I tried to impress upon her in the letter that I would not be waiting indefinitely for her to act - and that I was demanding priority. It appears to be the worst nightmare of the AB to contemplate any adopted person attempting to make contact with a parent themselves, so perhaps (as is my plan) that will inspire them to move quickly. If not, then I might need to find an alternative way to make (subtle) contact myself.

Either way, the journey is underway. Who knows where it will lead. I know it might not work out (the story of my life - I expect as much) but I still need to do this. I never thought the feelings would grow so strong as they have done over the past few weeks and months (extremely intense), but others have reassured me that this is part and parcel of what you must inevitably go through. I hope it works out. Maybe she won't even reply. If she does, maybe we will be strangers even if we meet. But I can't let what might happen prevent me from walking through this door that I have spent all of my life moving towards.

p.s. If you made it this far, take a bow! :)

Paul

hi i was wondering did u finally met ur mom? i read your thread with great interest so just wondering was is a success? thanks for ur reply. kornelia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

What do you do when the parent says they don't want to have anything to do with you, medical conditions or not. you give them time and nothing.
    So you have a change of mind and decide to pursue their identity for you and your children not to mention meeting you parent/s. what to do next?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

No1J wrote: »
    What do you do when the parent says they don't want to have anything to do with you, medical conditions or not. you give them time and nothing.
    So you have a change of mind and decide to pursue their identity for you and your children not to mention meeting you parent/s. what to do next?

You have two options- two sources of information open to you- your birthmum- and the agency (and/or adoption authority). If you have decided that you're going to respect your birthmum's wishes- your next port of call is the agency who placed you (and if they're no longer around, the adoption authority). They will have limited information on file- and will in any event contact your birthmum before giving limited information to you.

Unfortunately- as you've probably discovered- us adopted people, are specifically excluded under Freedom of Information- so there is absolutely no point in petitioning the hospital or home you were born in- you won't get very far.........

Personally- were I in your position- I'd persist with your birthmum- whether she likes it or not- she is going to be contacted by either you, or a social worker working on behalf of the Adoption Authority/HSE/Agency.

Unfortunately we really are still in the dark ages here.......

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I should probably introduce myself too.

I was adopted in 1982 when I was 3 months old through Sr Gabriel and St Patricks guild.
    That is about all I know for sure.

I have searched through birth records in Joyce House and I am pretty sure that I have my original birthcert but based on that I haven't found the lady named on that to find out if it is me.

Now that I have kids myself I will start searching again seriously as I would love to know my history.

Every time I look at my 6 week old,I think when I was her age I had no mammy to cuddle me and hope that every baby has someone to love them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

smccarrick wrote: »
    You have two options- two sources of information open to you- your birthmum- and the agency (and/or adoption authority). If you have decided that you're going to respect your birthmum's wishes- your next port of call is the agency who placed you (and if they're no longer around, the adoption authority). They will have limited information on file- and will in any event contact your birthmum before giving limited information to you.

Unfortunately- as you've probably discovered- us adopted people, are specifically excluded under Freedom of Information- so there is absolutely no point in petitioning the hospital or home you were born in- you won't get very far.........

Personally- were I in your position- I'd persist with your birthmum- whether she likes it or not- she is going to be contacted by either you, or a social worker working on behalf of the Adoption Authority/HSE/Agency.

Unfortunately we really are still in the dark ages here.......

Thanks for the advice and I will try again. I started the search 3 years ago and the social worker was in touch and we had the meetings. Some details came back, but the more I think about it the more confused I became. Why tell me my mothers first name and that I have half brothers and sisters and which county they lived in but no further. When I explained that my health had taken a turn for the worst and a family history would be helpful I was asked what the condition was and after a few weeks I was told it had not been in the family and to stop contacting. I now know that I have siblings and maybe they would like to meet their big brother. My wife went checking the birth cert office but we don't really know what to be look for. An ex Garda private investigator has offered his services but the one thing that I wanted to avoid from the start was hurting anyones feelings and causing any embaresment to others. But things have changed and I would like to get a result this year. Any ideas on how to progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 cybersheepz

Hello! We have the same birthday and birth year and both adopted, random :) I registered with the adoption board 6 months ago and got a call yesterday to confirm a match and now the ball is rolling for a reunion :) So, basically, dont give up hope!!!

Also, I actually had done the tracing process myself to a certain extent and found the following info that maybe you could try if you are tired of waiting:

If you have a first name of birth mother, good. If you dont have a surname (which I didnt,) it makes it a bit more difficult.
    Basically, I went through every single person born on 25/3/1987, every surname, restricting it to dublin and holles street hospital. These birth records are public information in the Irish Life Centre on Abbey Street, Dublin City. It is a little painstaking, but worth it. I had to narrow it down between 20 babies on this day but I did it.

Then, because I knew her age in 1987, I was able to go to find her birth cert (all in the same building). When I got this, I then had her parents address at the time of her birth. I actually only cracked this milestone last week and was getting ready to send a letter to them (my grandparents) when I got the call yesterday

Give it a go if you like and good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Bod the Munster one!

Hi, i was adopted, im a '70's bessboro baby, have always known but equally have always felt a square peg in a round hole, i recently received a letter, from a birth family member, I have no idea how they found me but they did, semms besboro files are not as locked as they seem .... been in contact via e mail since, the whole thing has me terrified, dont know either to meet or not or where or how ??????????? help or advice please anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

hi, it,s up to u if u want to meet up, im sure the family member has taken a long time searching for u, no harm to see what they have to say. i too was adopted from bessbrough i was born their in 1969, when i decided to do my search i got no help from them, i had to do it the hard way by trawling through records, so i doubt ur family member got any help from them.
    last year i found a halfsister of mine who was also adopted and she did,nt want anything to do with me, i suppose what im saying is it takes a lot of time and effort to find someone the least they can do is listen to what we have to say...kathy

in fairness there has been nothing demanding or pushy in anything Ive recieved, and ive got all the basic information, and photographs, but the whole thing has me really upset, there are thousands having problems getting basic information and my birth family were able to trace me?? :confused: there are no answers are there,

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭tyview

Hi Bod! I was reunited with my birth mother last year. I made my trace through the HSE and it was in their offices so I cant really give you any advice on where you should meet. I would say though if it feels right and you think you're ready, then go for it. Have you seen any photos? I know I was curious to see if I looked like anyone. I did meet my half brother and sister along with some other family members this year and it was in a hotel. We were in the corner of the lobby (any pretty much took over it there was so many of us!) and it was good. There was nobody going by us or sitting beside us so we could just be ourselves and ask anything we needed. Best of luck one way or the other!

ya was sent photos scary how similar i am, !! the whole think really has me in a heap and while friends are doing their best to support me its kinds hard to explain the weirdness of it,

Haha, yeh seeing the photos is mad. The whole thing will be weird for a while. I suppose if the family member contacted you, you didn't have as much time to get your head around things first. I had been on a waiting list for many years and the year before I was called I was on this forum at least once a day reading other peoples stories. I don't think my husband understood me at all or that there was such a 'need' for me to do this. Take it at your own pace. If you do meet up, it can either be a one off or it could be the start of something. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Gummie

Hi Bod, I was in a very similar situation to you last yr. My birth mother and sister got in contact with me via the adoption board. I ticked 'willing to exchange non-identifying information' on the contact preference register. It took me a full yr to get my head around it. My birth mother has sent me 2 letters and I have sent 1. I still don't feel ready to meet and this is, according to my social worker, normal. I know how you feel. It is so hard to explain. Give it time.

because the letter came to door and not through an agency i dont have anyone bar friends i can talk to about it, some one said there is a support group for adoptees in cork? anyone know anything about them? or who/where else i could turn, very unsettled by it all , have been exchanging e mails with brother, n nothing pushy or nasty at all, Im just unsure, wary, ...glad i found this forum lot of info xx

• Registered Users Posts: 12 truegas

hi all 14 years ago since i meet my mum jancita n park house was my social worker meet my mum got on great with her .her kids didnt no bout me she ring me and i meet up with her i was always asking her question bout me dad she told me his name and what he did i found a number and rang him cut it short meet up every thing grand i had 2 tell mt birth mum she seem ok bout it we all meet up every thing grand he was with my mum that nite she told him things she didnt tell me a few weeks after that jancita my social worker rang me wasnt happy my birth mum wasnt happy either she didnt want anything 2 do with me my dad started 2 fancy me kept telling me i luck likemy mother when he was with her he told people i was his girlfriend i stopped all contack with him i sent photo of my kids 2 my mother 2 years ago she never rang i was 40 a few weeks ago was thinkiny a lot bout her the last few weeks i rang jancita yesterday 2 ring her see will she meet up or ring it all my fault anyway fingers x it work out again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 christine88

Hi everyone,
    I have posted on this previously but just wanted to put another post up.Again, i am a university of limerick student writing my Mastes thesis on Bessborough and i would love to interview people who were in Bessborough either as a child or a mother. If anyone feels they would like to answer questions this will be sent via post or email whereby you fill out answers to some of my questions (you dont have to answer anything you feel uncomfortable about). If anyone is willing to help me with my research i would be extremely grateful. Just private message me!

Kind Regards
    Christine:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 fionaf

hi everyone :) i hope people are still reading this.... im 20 and was adopted when i was 2 months old through the Rotunda Girls Aid Society.... i've always known i was adopted and so has my brother.... i love my family to bits but from time to time i would always think about my birth mother.... i've spoken to my parents about the idea of tracing and they have been very supportive..... i'm not exactly sure how to go about the tracing process.... i don't have my original birth cert so im wondering if this will be a problem.... thanks for listening.

• Advertisement

Hi fionaf,

To do an official trace you should contact the HSE who now look after the files from the RGAS. Word of warning though, there will be a wait. Give them a ring and they should be able to tell you how to go about it.

HSE Dublin North East
    Child Care Services, Park House, North Circular Road, Dublin 7
    Tel: 01 – 8387122

None of us have our original birth certs unless we've gone to the research room in the irish life mall and looked for it. If you want to do the search yourself, this is the first place ou would start. (see the sticky for the details)

I ended up with my BM being found by the HSE in park house. My SW was great but I did get my BC and had a bit of background on BM and family.

Best of luck whichever way you choose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Ticky Boo

Hi, I'm 37 adopted through HSE in Cork in 73. Wrote to HSE bout 10 years ago, went on waiting list, about a year later got a call to come meet the social worker - cried buckets in her office - got some very basic information. They managed to trace a 'birth' aunt who I met (and subsequently met couzins and other aunt/uncles) it was surreal. I have had a wonderful upbringing with fab parents but as a previous poster says, square peg in a round role. The hole and void you feel in the utter core of your being I found to be quite undescribable for some time, but later learned that it is the same feeling as loss/bereavement. My birth mother did not want any contact - her life is in England now with her husband and two daughters - but along the way, one of the 'aunts' mentioned that my birth mother had another baby shortly after me (a boy) with my birth father - and this baby was also given up for adoption. This was very upsetting although the social worker advised that this can sometimes happen, birthmothers don't properly deal with the adoption/birth and get pregnant again soon. I am now left wondering about this other baby - where and who is he?? The aunt and couzin I met lived just down the road from where I grew up and my (fantastic) husband lived just around the corner from them! This makes me mad in some respects, i mean I could have actually met and married my own couzin (thankfully that didn't happen - just overdramatising) but you know what I mean. The thing is though, re other posters comments about wondering whether or not you look like someone - this is always missing - until you meet a member of your birth family. I felt 'high' and buzzing when I met my aunt because I could see the similarities in our faces, it was very weird - to the point after a few meetings, I didn't follow up on contacting them any further and they did not follow up with me either. I felt like I was putting them in a position given their sister/aunt (my birth mother) did not want contact and had expressly told them not to have anything to do with me. This was very hurtful at the time, although I'm still glad I did the seach as it brought a large element of closure to me - finding out information about the family and the circumstances of my birth and my mother and fathers relationship etc etc. I am happy now thankfully, wonderful hubby, three gorg children - the void is not as large as it was, but it will never leave. Hope sharing my experience helps someone understand that they are not alone in the feelings that come with being adopted . xx

Hi , meeting birth brother saturday for 1st time !st contact with any of my birth family! pick any emotion excited, terrified, delighted, wary .. all emotions cover the feelings at the moment,, dont know where to meet dont want to do it in my home, and he's travelling a distance, has anyone any advice on 1st meetings ie dos n donts etc?? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Ticky Boo

Best of luck Bod!

Ticky Boo wrote: »
    Best of luck Bod!

dunno bout luck recon zanex be handy xx your earlier post was lovely to read,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 fionaf

thanks tyview for the advice... much appreciated...... im hoping to contact the hse in the next week after my exams...... i just feel like its something i have to do for myself..... even if i never meet my birth mother i would love her to know what a great life she gave me and that i turned out ok :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 sunnie

hi. im 25 yrs of age and i am adoted. i was born in the coombe hospital in dublin and adopted at 3 days old. i have never looked into finding my birth mother but my adopted father gave me some info about my birth parents when i was younger and it was never hiden that i was adopted. i registered myself with the national adoption board but have heard nothing back as of yet. i am looking for my medical records at the moment.
    can anyone tell me can you start looking online your self or do you have to go through this adoption board?

Sunni-

If you look here- we have a series of 'Trace Guides' for people who would like to take ownership of their own searches- I'd suggest downloading the appropriate guide and having a read, and then perhaps asking any questions that come to you here (or start a separate thread for yourself).

You do not need to go through the adoption board- however they do view themselves as the gatekeepers of information- then again that information belongs to you and I.........

Best wishes,

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 19 sunnie

Hi shane.
    I was looking at that traceguide, I have my birth cert. I am looking for recored of my adoption. I know my birth mother wanted to call me by a different name as to what is on my birth cert, would that help me?
    Ive no idea how to go about this.

• Advertisement

sunnie wrote: »
    Hi shane.
    I was looking at that traceguide, I have my birth cert. I am looking for recored of my adoption. I know my birth mother wanted to call me by a different name as to what is on my birth cert, would that help me?
    Ive no idea how to go about this.

Hi Sunnie-

It would be quite usual for adoptive parents to rename children when adopted- for example my birthmum called me James, but my adoptive parents called me 'Shane'. On completion of adoption an amended (shortform) birthcertificate would issue to the adoptive parents with their chosen name for the child.

Records of your adoption- and seeking them is an entirely different matter to even finding your original birthcert.

First things first- you write to the agency who handled your adoption (or if they are no longer in existence- to the Adoption Authority who are supposed to have copies of their records), and request 'non-identifying information'. This might include- the firstname your birthmum gave you, where you were born, broadly what part of the country your birthmum was from, and possibly some broad information about her family circumstances- however this will all have been anonymised, there will be no identifying information there.

Once you have your non-identifying information- you can leverage it, as a stepping stone, to find further information (which will involve a good deal of work for you- but it is good to take ownership of your own search!)

If you go to the Records room in the GRO (General Register's Office) and request the adoptive children's register- you will find some information (limited) pertaining to your adoption (notably the reference assigned to your adoptive parents, along with your new name and your birth date.

From the general birth registers- if you follow the steps in the traceguide, you will find your original birthcert- which will have your birthmum's name on it.

There after- any further information is through investigating further- which could be via electoral registers and/or other means......

Relying on the Adoption Authority and/or the HSE to come up with medical information for you from your birthmum- is a fairly lengthy process (possibly 3-4 years given their current budgetary constraints).

If you do elect to search for your birthmum yourself- you do have to realise that its not the case that you track her down, turn up on her doorstep demanding medical information and vanish into the sunset- you are dealing with another human being who has been affected by the adoption process- and you need to take her feelings into account.

Before you do anything else- I would suggest contacting Barnados- they do a good preparation course for people considering embarking on searching (both adopted people- but also birthparents- and its a really good opportunity to meet people on the other side of the equation- and might give you a better understanding of where your birthmum might be coming from).

Feel free to ask any questions at all that might occur to you. Best wishes- regardless of what you decide to do.

Shane

Advertisement