Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Here's one parked at he side of the road. It's not blocking anyone though. It's always in this spot, never seen it in any other spot on this road but the road has feck all areas to pull in legally and not blocking anyone's house at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

worst sneaky one iv seen is on the Celbridge-Ardclough rd,just before the railway bridge and about 4M from where the 50kph zone starts.
    it's pulled in at the entrance on the right and they have removed some of the capping on the wall aswell.
    this road has seen no deaths in the atleast the last 5 years and less then 6 minor incedants in that time
    unledam.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Now a week later the red survey van is in the same spot. Anyone care to elaborate on whats going on?

Catchup: Red survey van was on this brand new road when the new GoSafe vans were implemented initially, then they have deployed the white speed camera fine vans(see video in post above)since then regularly, almost weekly and now it's back to the survey van, are they re-checking the road to be targeted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

gurramok wrote: »
    Now a week later the red survey van is in the same spot. Anyone care to elaborate on whats going on?

Catchup: Red survey van was on this brand new road when the new GoSafe vans were implemented initially, then they have deployed the white speed camera fine vans(see video in post above)since then regularly, almost weekly and now it's back to the survey van, are they re-checking the road to be targeted?

Yeah, I think they said they'd do that - survey to see what the driving habits are, put a "real" van in place, and then re-survey to see what the effect of a "real" van was on the driving habits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 b69

Does anyone know if they take pictures of vehicle's while the vans are driving

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

b69 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if they take pictures of vehicle's while the vans are driving
    NO!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

There was a Tax collecting van outside Lissarda on the Cork - Killarney road Saturday evening. The road is perfectly safe and driving along where the van was at 70mph would be perfectly safe and even encourage in other countries like Australia. Thanks to another kind Citizen repeatedly flashing his head lights I managed to save myself from getting taxed further. I even managed to give the van a big smile and two single finger salutes while merrily driving by at 80km/h.

I also informed other drivers myself that their was a revenue collecting van for the next three miles and hopefully saved them from having their wealth stolen to pay for the folly of the Fianna Fail traitors.

Stinicker wrote: »
    There was a Tax collecting van outside Lissarda on the Cork - Killarney road Saturday evening. The road is perfectly safe and driving along where the van was at 70mph would be perfectly safe and even encourage in other countries like Australia. Thanks to another kind Citizen repeatedly flashing his head lights I managed to save myself from getting taxed further. I even managed to give the van a big smile and two single finger salutes while merrily driving by at 80km/h.

I also informed other drivers myself that their was a revenue collecting van for the next three miles and hopefully saved them from having their wealth stolen to pay for the folly of the Fianna Fail traitors.
    Fair play to you. You are doing God's work. ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Was driving on the Abbeyleix to Durrow road there last night. The road was resurfaced around Christmas but there is a big digital sign saying slippery surface and 60km/hr is the speed on the road. However, every single road sign on the route (red and white) was 100km/hr which is the normal limit on that road. One of the speed vans was facing oncoming traffic as I traveled away from it at 80km/hr.

Wondering what speed limit the van was set to watch for.

60km/h is only an advisory limit. The lawful limit is 100 km/h.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jackno1

can anyone help me out? can a speed camera van detect a lorry traviling at 90kmh on a 100kmh road?:confused: can the go safe van tell the difference between a car and a lorry?

Yes it can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

jackno1 wrote: »
    can anyone help me out? can a speed camera van detect a lorry traviling at 90kmh on a 100kmh road?:confused:

They can because the truck should be travelling at 80 KPH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jackno1

I know the speed limit for a lorry is 80kmh max. but how does the go safe camera know the difference between a car and a lorry unless there manualy operated.

I know the speed limit for a lorry is 80kmh max. but how does the go safe camera know the difference between a car and a lorry unless there manualy operated.

They are manually operated...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

They are manually operated to a certain extent. As for catching lorry's, I doubt it to be honest. Its slightly outside their brief I would say. The revenue wouldn't be in it if nothing else.

As for telling the difference, the operator could do it manually (But not at night) or by license plate recognition (Again, only after a photo has been taken)

To be honest, I sincerely doubt they would bother.

ironclaw wrote: »
    They are manually operated to a certain extent. As for catching lorry's, I doubt it to be honest. Its slightly outside their brief I would say. The revenue wouldn't be in it if nothing else.

As for telling the difference, the operator could do it manually (But not at night) or by license plate recognition (Again, only after a photo has been taken)

To be honest, I sincerely doubt they would bother.

They do. I know several truckers who have been fined for doing 85KPH in a 100kph zone.

-Corkie- wrote: »
    They do. I know several truckers who have been fined for doing 85KPH in a 100kph zone.

I stand corrected!

ironclaw wrote: »
    I stand corrected!

Also if you are pulling a car trailer the max limit is 80kph too and the go safe van operator will do you for it. There was a thread on it here recently.. I know it sounds ridiculous..

You are of course assuming they have the intelligence to know this.

• Advertisement

You are of course assuming they have the intelligence to know this.

I am not assuming at all. The operators have two eyes in there head like everyone else..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

-Corkie- wrote: »

Go safe vans and Garda Robot vans have a truck setting that measures the length of vehicles that pass it. If it is over a set distance it knows its a truck and fires off a picture. The operator can then view it, be happy it is a vehicle subject to a special speed limit and process it.

NGA wrote: »
    Go safe vans and Garda Robot vans have a truck setting that measures the length of vehicles that pass it. If it is over a set distance it knows its a truck and fires off a picture. The operator can then view it, be happy it is a vehicle subject to a special speed limit and process it.

Good man! I must save the link to that for future reference!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

NGA wrote: »
    Garda Robot vans

OOO Robot vans...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Yesterday morning (Sunday) on the Naas Road at 8.45 a.m. I got flashed by an unmarked white van just before the crossroads at McDonalds. I was hoping it was directed at the guy on my inside but it could easily have been me! The suspense is killing me! Anyone know who I could ring to check to see if I'm getting a fine? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Yesterday morning (Sunday) on the Naas Road at 8.45 a.m. I got flashed by an unmarked white van just before the crossroads at McDonalds. I was hoping it was directed at the guy on my inside but it could easily have been me! The suspense is killing me! Anyone know who I could ring to check to see if I'm getting a fine? :o

unfortunately not.. you just have to wait to see if something comes in the post. Hope you didn't get caught though... I'm surprised there was a flash during daylight..I thought the go safe vans had an invisible IR flash and the garda vans only flashed in poor lighting conditions..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

can anyone tell me, if the speed camera van is white, with a garda logo and speed camera logo, does that mean it's defiantly not a 'go safe ' van?

And do these van have regular or IR flash, and if its a case of regular flash, does it only flash in poorly lit conditions?

cojomo2 wrote: »
    unfortunately not.. you just have to wait to see if something comes in the post. Hope you didn't get caught though... I'm surprised there was a flash during daylight..I thought the go safe vans had an invisible IR flash and the garda vans only flashed in poor lighting conditions..

GoSafe are IR flash at all times. You'll never see the flash.
    cojomo2 wrote: »
    can anyone tell me, if the speed camera van is white, with a garda logo and speed camera logo, does that mean it's defiantly not a 'go safe ' van?

And do these van have regular or IR flash, and if its a case of regular flash, does it only flash in poorly lit conditions?

Garda Logo's = Garda Van. No questions.

The Garda vans do flash nearly all the time. Its not to do with lighting conditions, its to guarantee a good photo of the plate. To my knowledge however they are being retrofitted with IR flash units, so eventually there will be no indication.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭worded

How long does it take between getting caught and getting a ticket approx?

I got caught near the Beehive Pub in Wicklow. There is a Van there for the last few days. A popular spot.

• Advertisement

A week to 10 days normally.

Advertisement