Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Ericsson Xperia Play

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭GWNiall

good man, just a quick Q, you bought it sim free? you try the bootloader unlock from the Sony Ericsson website?

anyone know if you upgrade to it on bill with o2, can you unlock the bootloader?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

GWNiall wrote: »
    good man, just a quick Q, you bought it sim free? you try the bootloader unlock from the Sony Ericsson website?

Yeah its sim free,but as im new to android im only finding out about the bootloader unlock now,ill do a bit of reading up on it and give it a go later and let you know how i get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭shakel

I got one a few weeks back on 3 in CPW.

Delighted with it.
    It feels fatter/heavier than an X10/Arc/Iphone but I do not find that a problem. Fits in the pocket easily so that is fine. Feels easy to hold and is comfortable for gaming.

The screen is really good although can be a little dim in sunlight.
    It is very responsive and overall feels very quick.
    I have had an X10, played around with a few different Samsung and HTC phones and find it as performing as any smartphone on the market today.

I'm finding the battery very good on it also, it will easily last the day with moderate-heavy use and gaming, the gaming is not as heavy as you'd expect, WiFi and 3g are much heavier, if you are auto disabling them with screen off then you'll get great battery... mine has dropped 15% in 8 hrs today with moderate email/twitter use.

There are stereo speakers on the phone so the sound is excellent.

And then you flick the gamepad out and the fun really starts! The six games included games are very good, I have finished Ashphalt and Bruce Lee already, and I was never that big into games. You just find now that you are never bored, something to do while the wife is shopping!

The Gameloft games are very good and their additional games are only €2. haven't bought any yet but will soon.

You can also install FPSE and play some of the old PSX ISOs you have, you can map the buttons to the gamepad and it works really well. I expect FPSE will get optimized for the Play soon so that should get even better/easier.

If anyone has any questions on it feel free!

Yeah its sim free,but as im new to android im only finding out about the bootloader unlock now,ill do a bit of reading up on it and give it a go later and let you know how i get on.

The bootloader unlocking requires a factory reset of the phone and you "may" loose the right to the six preinstalled games. I'm going to give it a miss for now until there are some ROMs out. But if the phone is SIM free then it should unlock.

• Advertisement

shakel wrote: »
    I'm finding the battery very good on it also, it will easily last the day with moderate-heavy use and gaming, the gaming is not as heavy as you'd expect, WiFi and 3g are much heavier, if you are auto disabling them with screen off then you'll get great battery... mine has dropped 15% in 8 hrs today with moderate email/twitter use.

I had it fully charged last night before going to bed,and i had in work today but i didnt use it much just checked a few emails,and when i got home the battery was down to 18%,i was a bit surprised to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I had it fully charged last night before going to bed,and i had in work today but i didnt use it much just checked a few emails,and when i got home the battery was down to 18%,i was a bit surprised to be honest.

You only got it 2 days ago, the battery will need a few cycles to calibrate, use it till it cuts out then charge it fully with it powered down (it'll prob be a few days before you leave it down).

You're new to Android, You need to set the phone to power down the wifi when the screen is off, also as the Display is the biggest killer, don't have it set at 100%, set it to as dim as You can bear it.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    You only got it 2 days ago, the battery will need a few cycles to calibrate, use it till it cuts out then charge it fully with it powered down (it'll prob be a few days before you leave it down).

You're new to Android, You need to set the phone to power down the wifi when the screen is off, also as the Display is the biggest killer, don't have it set at 100%, set it to as dim as You can bear it.

And Juice Defender is a must have app, disables Data when screen off, it is free in the Market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Thanks for the reviews lads, i have a Europa since xmas but id love to get this phone, i might save up, i dont really want to go on bill for it ha.

Id love an Iphone but ive a 4G Ipod touch so il hang onto that for now and probably save up for this phone!

Are you all happy with the battery performance on it those who have it?

Are you all happy with the battery performance on it those who have it

I wasn't to happy at first but the lads on here recommended an app called "juice defender" and it works great,i haven't charged it since Wednesday evening and there is still around 30% on it.All in all i think it is a great phone i still have the iPhone 4 but thats just sitting in the press all week :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

I wasn't to happy at first but the lads on here recommended an app called "juice defender" and it works great,i haven't charged it since Wednesday evening and there is still around 30% on it.All in all i think it is a great phone i still have the iPhone 4 but thats just sitting in the press all week :)

Cheers thanks, i have an ipod touch so not in a rush for Iphone, great phone though, but im into gaming alot so this phone seems to be a dream, just hadnt a clue about battery performance.

got my phone yesterday, love it, unlocked the bootloader and rooted it as soon as i got home, deleted some of the bloatware that came with the phone. Happy enough! Mine didn't come with Asphalt however, anyone else have this problem? Sim Free from CPW?

GWNiall wrote: »
    got my phone yesterday, love it, unlocked the bootloader and rooted it as soon as i got home, deleted some of the bloatware that came with the phone. Happy enough! Mine didn't come with Asphalt however, anyone else have this problem? Sim Free from CPW?

You have to download Asphalt from the store its free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Is there any firm date when it will be available from the operators?

Interested in getting it on o2 advance 250, and have seen that o2 are offering double minutes and texts if you sign up before the end of April. Does anyone know if that would be the same if I got it from CW?

yeah, it's out from tomorrow on I think! Otherwise, just head to the CPW and sign up on o2 from there? Last week of April otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

No sign of it on the o2 website anyways. Its up on the 3 website though.

Advertisement