Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Micro SD cards, where?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 robbie_bel

Can anybody tell me if this purchase is going ahead? Just so I know if I have to buy a card for myself?

Thanks

Rob.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

bumpety bump bump

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Reassessed my finances, I'm out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 robbie_bel

im out too, seeing as there is no response from people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

volumerate.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

im assuming this is dead but still looking for a best price on a 16GB CL6, memoryc.ie is €41

would it be worthwhile approaching an irish retailer for a boards deal??

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

That's not a bad idea. I found a decent class 6 one on elara for around 30 squids if I remember correctly. Their bleedin' ridonculous delivery price for such a small package put me right off though.

dealextreme have a supposed class 6 (looks to be actually class 4) for around 25 delivered.

well only reason im suggesting irish is there shouldnt be any issues with customs or major delays with postage (dealxtreme)

shopformemory have been very quick in the past to deliver for me. surely given the amount of interest on this thread we could get a deal in return for 50 or 100 orders.
    i dont kow how the other boards deals over on bargain alerts have worked but surely it wouldnt take much for them, they could have a discount code in the checkout process and apply the discount prior to processing the payment?
    30 would be great but I think id be happy with a price around 35 or less if there were more orders esp if i knew i was gona receive it in the next couple of days

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Once again, I'm interested in anything that will get me good quality cards :)

I will email retailers - shopformemory, memoryc and any others that people have had good experiences with - if it could help and point them towards the boards deals faq. Or should we just approach one retailer at a time in case 2 or 3 come back with offers and numbers get messy?

Just at a guess ill point out that there would be interest of at least 50.
    Id rather keep it irish if they can do a good deal for us, less hassle and gives an irish company the business.

ps if someone wants to draft up something, feel free.
    Id say a voucher (ala boards deals) would be a good way to go because it doesnt tie us to any particular type or size of card

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Ill dig out the ebay seller I bought mine off the other day. 16gb class 6 for about 35 delivered

P.s. it would be very optimistic to expect 50 people to actually pay up. Group buys have a habit of collapsing!

ronanc15 wrote: »
    Ill dig out the ebay seller I bought mine off the other day. 16gb class 6 for about 35 delivered

Is it actually class 6 though? I've seen ropey reports on ebay, even from sellers with decent feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

I actually got the link on here somewhere from someone who had checked and it was class 6. Havent taken it out of the pack just yet so will let you know as soon as I do. Had a read of the sellers feedback for the particular item and all good reports!

Cheers. Yeah I was checking out that same guys feedback (I think it was the same guy anyway) and there was one negative which said that it was closer to class 2. That's what made me wary. I've been burned before on ebay on memory even from sellers with good feedback. I think it's basically just full of scheisters with the occasional proper seller in the middle somewhere where memory sticks are concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

There's Transcend 16GB class 10's on mymemory.co.uk today for 18.99 sterling. Kicking myself cause I ordered a class 6 for the same price last week and it still hasn't arrived. I think the eventual euro price is about 25, which is decent, especially for a class 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

griffdaddy wrote: »
    There's Transcend 16GB class 10's on mymemory.co.uk today for 18.99 sterling.

Have you a link, can't see that deal on their site??

Also can't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

uuuhhh sorry guys, it's actually a regular SD card, not a micro. I have them on the brain lately. I also just discovered that the micro SD card i ordered is class 4, not 6. Sorry for getting your hopes up :o

its a standard size sdhc, disregard

Johnny: Did you email those shops? I'm just about to start back to work and want something for my shiny new tablet. If we're waiting to hear back I'll definitely hold off, otherwise I'll buy now.

• Advertisement

given the lack of interest in my suggestion i didnt proceed with contacting them, no point trying to organise a deal if we dont have the numbers.
    was waiting on a link for the one from ebay you guys were discussing to be honest

Ah yeah, fair enough. I'm not going ebay myself. Just don't trust memory sellers on ebay tbh. Either going to get this one from dealextreme or this one from mymemory.

thanks, think ill go with the mymemory option myself. Cheers

Yeah, I think that's the better option too. Just bought mine now. Although it says class 4 in the description, I noticed that it says class 6 in the specification section. Might be a nice bonus. :) I'll speed test it and put the results up here when it gets here.

Well...I ran a speed test on it there....unimpressed to say the least....

khannie@computa:~$ time dd if=/dev/zero of=/media/New\ Volume/output bs=1024k count=1024 && time sync
    1024+0 records in
    1024+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 510.666 s, 2.1 MB/s

real 8m30.690s
    user 0m0.000s
    sys 0m2.428s

real 0m54.700s
    user 0m0.000s
    sys 0m0.032s

Total of 9 minutes, 24 seconds for 1.1GB (including the flush to disk), works out at around 1.9MB/s.

How does that rate vs the standard card, bookings for few stag do's put mine on long finger for now so never got around to ordering yet

I'll run a test with the card it came with tomorrow and let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Funkiwi75

IT Direct in Parliament st have 16GB class4 microSD for €33

might be dragging this up a bit but rather than make a new thread thought it was relevant. Never did buy in the end but spotted a PNY class 10 16gb card on play today for €23 which would be perfect but they wont allow delivery to ireland (ridiculous i know).
    Has anyone come across a similar price for a class 10?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

might be dragging this up a bit but rather than make a new thread thought it was relevant. Never did buy in the end but spotted a PNY class 10 16gb card on play today for €23 which would be perfect but they wont allow delivery to ireland (ridiculous i know).
    Has anyone come across a similar price for a class 10?
    Play.com? Im getting stuff delivered off them all week.

Advertisement