Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Stuff Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Can we have our thread back please?

Anyway, Smart Lazer Technology:

That's gotta be used to play pong on a sheet of paper it's just gotta be. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

Malty_T wrote: »
    That's gotta be used to play pong on a sheet of paper it's just gotta be. :D

Light hockey at 2:00

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

liamw wrote: »
    Light hockey at 2:00
    Very cool!

Bit late notice and all, but if anybody's got time to look up into the clear night sky between 20:07:53 and 20:12:37 this evening, you'll be able to see the ISS float by with Discovery just finishing off its docking operation. It'll be pretty much directly overhead, well, over West Cork anyway.

Further details, and an email alert service, are available at:

http://www.calsky.com

Definitely one for somebody with a higher power lens than I have with me just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Can a group of scientists in California end the war on climate change?
    "We are bringing the spirit of science back to a subject that has become too argumentative and too contentious," Muller says, over a cup of tea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Can a group of scientists in California end the war on climate change?

Quote:
    "We are bringing the spirit of science back to a subject that has become too argumentative and too contentious," Muller says, over a cup of tea.

He better have made that tea with water boiled from a solar powered kettle, otherwise all is lost.

Haven't got time to read that article as it's quite a long one, but Muller is someone who I quite enjoy listening to so hopefully I'll like it. For anyone interested good lay friendly series of youtube videos on physics this series comes very highly recommended and perhaps after that you might start on the mechanical universe. :).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

NASA have some interesting, if somewhat dubious thoughts on reducing climate change.

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/nuclear-climate.html

we may want to think about where we'd like all our call centres to end up though and think about how were going to relocate them if india and pakistan are going to be reduced to glowing radioactive craters.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

christian couple refused foster parent status due to views on homosexuality:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-12598896

Because it's worth making more folks aware of this song.:)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

A few pages from a potentially interesting book on how psychology's Theory of Mind suggests a plausible, naturalistic framework for deity-belief:

http://www.slate.com/id/2283372/pagenum/all/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Scientists genetically engineer mice to be more susceptible to mutation and end with singing mice.
    "We are watching how a mouse that emits new sounds would affect ordinary mice in the same group... in other words if it has social connotations," he said, adding that ordinary mice squeak mainly under stress.

Considering that mutant mice tweet louder when put in different environments or when males are put together with females, Uchimura said their chirps "may be some sort of expressions of their emotions or bodily conditions."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

HeLa is a 60 year old immortal cell line, derived from Henrietta Lacks cervical cancer cells in the 1950's. Being so useful (they can be used in research against aids, cancers, radiation effects etc) its estimated that 20 tonnes of the cell line have been grown over the years. Some scientists are now claiming it as an example of contemporary species creation, as the cell line has now a non human number of chromosones (82)

Henrietta Lacks
    BBC Radio 4 did a program on Ms Lacks a couple of years back. Apparently the cells were harvested without written permission and her still-desperately poor family never knew of the medical research that derived from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Has life been found in a meteorite?

Richard Hoover, an astrobiologist at NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center, thinks he may have found bacteria in a meteorite.

Yes, you read that right. The question is, is he right?

I don’t know. Dr. Hoover has published his findings in the online Journal of Cosmology (see below for more about this journal), and it was reported today by Fox News (thanks to Sheril at The Intersection for the tip).

Basically, Hoover found structures inside a rare type of meteorite — the Orgueil meteorite which fell in France in 1864 — that look very much like microbes of some sort. Here’s an example from the paper:

hoover_meteoritelife.jpg

Those are odd and intriguing formations, to be sure. If I were scanning through a meteorite and saw those, I’d be pretty surprised too.

But appearances can be deceiving. Are these actually fossilized microscopic life forms?

Hoover makes several claims to show that a non-biotic origin for these structures is very unlikely. I am not an expert and won’t cast my vote either way here. This is not the first time Hoover has made such claims; he gave a similar presentation in 2007. There have also been many similar claims in the past. In fact, in the second episode of "Bad Universe" I interviewed NASA astrobiologist Dave McKay, who has also found very interesting features in a Mars meteorite that look a lot like bacteria. However, definitive proof is another matter. McKay’s opinion is that what he found was once alive, but he also was clear that scientifically he could not be sure (I found his skepticism to be well-grounded and at the right level, to be honest).

Probably the biggest bump in the road for showing these things are life-forms is to show they are not the result of Earthly bacteria getting inside the meteorite after it hit. This is very tough to do, though Hoover says this in his paper:
    Many of the filaments shown in the figures are clearly embedded in the meteorite rock matrix. Consequently, it is concluded that the Orgueil filaments cannot logically be interpreted as representing filamentous cyanobacteria that invaded the meteorite after its arrival. They are therefore interpreted as the indigenous remains of microfossils that were present in the meteorite rock matrix when the meteorite entered the Earth’s atmosphere.

Clearly, Hoover thinks terrestrial contamination is unlikely. However, contamination, no matter how unlikely, is a more mundane explanation than extraterrestrial life, and Occam’s Razor will always shave very closely here. We have to be very, very clear that contamination was impossible before seriously entertaining the idea that these structures are space-borne life.

I’ll be honest: my own reaction is one of extreme skepticism. As it should be! All things being equal, I would take news like this with a very large grain of salt, and want a whole lot of outside expert analysis; I’d like to see other biologists examining the original meteorite, too. Interestingly, the editors for the journal in which this paper is published understand how controversial this claim is, so they have asked 100 expert scientists to review the work and critique it. Those reviews have not yet been published, so we’ll see; the editors say the reviews will go online in a few days.

Also, I feel I need to mention this as well: in my opinion, The Journal of Cosmology has published articles in the past that can charitably be called "shaky" (like this anti-Big Bang paper). One of their editors, Chandra Wickramasinghe, has made some pretty outrageous claims about NASA and life in space (links to some of his other odd claims can be found at that page as well). However, this does not necessarily mean that Hoover’s work is any more suspect than any other scientific claim! But it does mean I will cast an especially-skeptical eye on claims made in papers published by them. Others agree as well.

And I must note that in an error-laden article*, the Journal published a not-very-flattering comment about me, calling me an "astronomer-wannabe" — heh– and claims I led a "torches and pitchforks crowd" about the existence of a planet in the outer solar system. That’s completely false, and in fact I got an email from the researcher leading the search for that planet, calling my article on it "the most balanced discussion" he saw!

Hmmm.

So, to conclude: a claim has been made about micro-fossils in a meteorite. The claims are interesting, the pictures intriguing, but we are a long, long way from knowing whether the claim is valid or not! We’ve been down this road before and been disappointed. As with any scientific claim, skepticism is needed, and in the case of extraordinary claims, well, you know the saying.

hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Probably won't bear out, but I hope it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Dave! wrote: »
    hoover_meteoritelife.jpg

Are...are they...........noodle like appendages I see?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Evolving Images

Basically takes tons of random polygons of random colours, and starts evolving.
    Makes slight changes to shapes, sizes and rotations each generation, discards the 75% that are least like the original image, and repeats.

Currently about 6 minutes in on Mona Lisa (about 1600 generations) and the basic colours and shapes, with even some darkening where the eyes and mouth should be are there, looks like a badly damaged copy of the original.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

robindch wrote: »
    BBC Radio 4 did a program on Ms Lacks a couple of years back. Apparently the cells were harvested without written permission and her still-desperately poor family never knew of the medical research that derived from them.
    there's a great book about this which came out a few years ago, the immortal life of henrietta lacks by rebecca skloot (now being turned into a film by oprah winfrey). taking cell samples was standard practice in those days; the family were contacted about it in the early 70s.

Pygmalion wrote: »
    Basically takes tons of random polygons of random colours, and starts evolving.
    i've often wondered if engineering research has ever tried using this technique; e.g. take an airplane wing, evolve it slightly, run a simulation, discard retrograde changes, repeat?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

i've often wondered if engineering research has ever tried using this technique; e.g. take an airplane wing, evolve it slightly, run a simulation, discard retrograde changes, repeat?
    That's pretty much how aerodynamics design works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

"This video features Prof Richard Dawkins in highly controversial debate with
    other leading biologists on evolution: Profs Lynn Margulis, Stephen Bell, and
    Martin Brasier, chaired by Prof Denis Noble. Held at Balliol College, Oxford
    University and co-sponsored by the University of Massachusetts-Amherst."

full video

Looks phenomenal & is nearly four hours long!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

^^What background track is that? It's f*cking awful.

Richard Dawkins on Revelation TV in the UK:

(just audio for the first 45 mins or somethin)

The presenter asks about the evolution of the eye. RD gives an elegant and sensible explanation. The host tries to move on and asks some other question, but RD was smart enough to drag him back and ask was he convinced, and why not? The host then explicitly admits that he doesn't find the logical explanation convincing, because the Bible says "[some bullsh*t]", so he can't entertain any other ideas :rolleyes:

FVCK OFF YOU IDIOT!!!!!!!!

edit

OMG he's just spent 15 minutes recounting some inane story that led him to god. Seriously it's the story that doesn't end. Dawkins says he's not impressed, and yer man says "I'm not finished", and then carries on with this sh*te... My eyes are glazing over!

That was a seriously painful video to watch, not recommended. The guy's really nice, but clearly just has no desire whatsoever to engage with RD intellectually. He has never heard the arguments against his position before, and he doesn't care. It's purely emotional for him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I haven't had a Dawkin's fix in quite a while so decided to check out youtube to see if anything new had popped up, good thing I came here!

Came across this, some good stuff!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

lol, he's hilarious

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Dave! wrote: »
    That was a seriously painful video to watch, not recommended. The guy's really nice, but clearly just has no desire whatsoever to engage with RD intellectually. He has never heard the arguments against his position before, and he doesn't care. It's purely emotional for him.
    I find it somewhat ironic that there's a double helix rotating in the background.

I've never even heard of revelation tv....

Advertisement