Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Anyone Find This 19th Century Style Count a Tad Embarrassing?

Options
  • 26-02-2011 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭

I like the drama of the drawn out manual count. But looking at news of this count flash up on CNN earlier this evening, I did cringe a bit. Every other developed country can call a definite result within hours of the polls closing and we'll probably have some re-counts still going on next Monday.

I know the first past the post system that most country's have is a lot easier to count. But what ever was so complicated about getting those e-voting machines to work properly?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

nah, the count is the best part of the election process.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

No. It's brilliant entertainment and I'm very proud of our electoral system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

In the US some counts go on for days, and occasionally they have to go to the courts. There's nothing wrong with having counts go on for a few days.

I think it adds to it - the monumental task of electing a new government, counting each physical ballot one at a time. Doing things electronically makes it cold and bureaucratic. With the pen and paper, you feel like you've achieved something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

..you feel like you've achieved something.
    when, in reality.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Reminds me of 2007 ;)
    I had to go down to Co Meath the other day and apologise to the people of Meath for being a modern technologically-advanced country and one of the biggest exporters of software, that we’re going back to the pencils”.
    “If this House did not want to play politics with the issue, we would not be the laughing stock of Europe by carrying out a vote for two million people by using pencils. A ridiculous situation.”

Bertie Ahern TD

The current system is fine and today is the best part of it. It's great entertainment and people can get more involved then an officer reading some printout from a machine
    If you can wait five years for an election you can wait one day for the results

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

I thought we were computerised with this stuff already ,smart economy and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

In the US some counts go on for days, and occasionally they have to go to the courts. There's nothing wrong with having counts go on for a few days.
    And look at the administration the Americans got a few years ago because they CAN'T count votes properly.
    Nothing wrong with the system in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭swampgas

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    I thought we were computerised with this stuff already ,smart economy and all that.

The more a person knows about computers, the less they like electronic voting.

The great thing about the current system is that it is open and transparent, you can actually see the counting take place. I'd prefer that over electronic voting any day.

There are many things computers are great for, reliable anonymous voting isn't one of them.

Ref: http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2004/11/the_problem_wit.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

seems's silly alright counting votes

and the tallying and election drama seems out of place because of all the serious problems we have

we'll have to dust down those machines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

No its great!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Nope. I love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

swampgas wrote: »

The great thing about the current system is that it is open and transparent, you can actually see the counting take place. I'd prefer that over electronic voting any day.

There are many things computers are great for, reliable anonymous voting isn't one of them.

I never thought about it that way ,just presumed that electronic counting is the way things progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dashboard_hula

No, it's good, and I hope the current system is kept for a long time yet. I spent a few hours at my aunts today, and she had the election running on both TV's and the PC. The 3 teenagers in the house were glued to the telly everytime a returning officer came on to announce a result, and actual conversations were had about what each candidate/party stands for and what the consequences would be. T'was great, I don't think there'd be that level of engagement with e-voting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

What happens to all the ballot papers after the count ?

Are they stored away somewhere or destroyed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

swampgas wrote: »

Have you seen this? http://blog.ted.com/2010/11/02/e-voting-without-fraud-david-bismark-on-ted-com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Every other developed country can call a definite result within hours of the polls closing and we'll probably have some re-counts still going on next Monday.

You'd like this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/election_2010/8666278.stm :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

loldog wrote: »
    No. It's brilliant entertainment and I'm very proud of our electoral system.

Easily satisfied eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

AndyP wrote: »
    And look at the administration the Americans got a few years ago because they CAN'T count votes properly.
    Nothing wrong with the system in my view.

I dont understand this comparison. In 2000, Florida was not using computerised voting. They were counting holes manually punched thru paper and spent weeks arguing over those that weren't punched thru 100% completely or were a tiny bit against the line. Plus the fact that Florida which just happened to have George Bush's brother as their governor made up rules on the day about who was allowed to vote and who wasn't. Plus the fact that Bush's eventual fate was decided by Daddy's old friends in the US Supreme Court. Nothing whatsoever to do with e-voting!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

I like the drama of the drawn out manual count. But looking at news of this count flash up on CNN earlier this evening, I did cringe a bit. Every other developed country can call a definite result within hours of the polls closing and we'll probably have some re-counts still going on next Monday.

I know the first past the post system that most country's have is a lot easier to count. But what ever was so complicated about getting those e-voting machines to work properly?

There's constant talk of election fixing in the states, the system works, I couldn't care what the rest of the world think

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

It is entertaining but give me a list system any day.

• Advertisement

I find it interesting that people will trust computers to do their banking and keep their records straight but won't trust them to anonymously and correctly count votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I find it interesting that people will trust computers to do their banking and keep their records straight but won't trust them to anonymously and correctly count votes.
    A lot more can be gained by rigging the vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Last night I was shocked that everyone went home after the polls closed and only started counting this morning.

Now that I'm watching the counting I can see why they wanted a rest last night.

But I think its been a great day of watching democracy in action and there's a whole weekend to go. Whats the hurry?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Because it's anonymous and I can't verify what happened, i've worked with computers most of my life and seen the quality of software that goes into production, I wouldn't trust it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Downlinz

It isn't about entertainment or getting people involved. It's about an accurate and fair system. You do wonder what the margin of error is when it comes to human counts and how many ballots are unintentionally spoiled.

Would probably be cost effective to not have to rent dozens of halls and hotel rooms up and down the country to host counts either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I dont understand this comparison. In 2000, Florida was not using computerised voting. They were counting holes manually punched thru paper and spent weeks arguing over those that weren't punched thru 100% completely or were a tiny bit against the line. Plus the fact that Florida which just happened to have George Bush's brother as their governor made up rules on the day about who was allowed to vote and who wasn't. Plus the fact that Bush's eventual fate was decided by Daddy's old friends in the US Supreme Court. Nothing whatsoever to do with e-voting!

you really should look up their e-voting systems they have trialled more.

Programmers have sworn under oath that they were told to put back doors in whether lying or not, it is always a possiblity and why e-voting can't work properly IMO.

colly10 wrote: »
    Because it's anonymous and I can't verify what happened, i've worked with computers most of my life and seen the quality of software that goes into production, I wouldn't trust it

There's nothing wrong with production software that's PROPERLY validated and exhaustively tested and secured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

There's nothing wrong with production software that's PROPERLY validated and exhaustively tested and secured.

There is if the validation company is also bought off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,796 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I love the count I have to say and like said above computer programs are open to manipulation which is a concern. And anyways the country is broke, we can't very well go off spending money on something that hopefully will only be in use once or twice every five years imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

There is no way to verify the software.

1) The guy writing the software could have added a bug, or been corrupt.
    2) The verifiers could be corrupt.
    3) Showing someone source code means nothing. It may not be on the actual machine.
    4) When people talk about OCR and keeping the votes as verification then they admit that system is flawed.

the electronic system cannot compete in terms of transparency with tallymen.

And whats the bloody rush. The Dail does not meet for a week, or two.

Advertisement