Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crysis 2 Delayed until 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Looks shíte, very cramped small maps aimed at consoles, imagine 32+ players on those maps :eek:. Crysis Wars had big maps and vehicles.
    Graphics aren't anything special. Its trying hard to be a MW clone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Crysis23.jpg

lol consoles

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

PogMoThoin wrote: »

Looks shíte, very cramped small maps aimed at consoles, imagine 32+ players on those maps :eek:. Crysis Wars had big maps and vehicles.
    Graphics aren't anything special. Its trying hard to be a MW clone
    Are you ****ing high? Who said those maps shown in the trailer were the larger ones? In fact, who said the game would support 32 players? If the game is only designed for smaller maps given the suit abilities then I'd prefer if they stuck with that and didn't try and shoehorn massive maps into it. At least then I can stick to Battlefield if I want my big map fix.

Next, graphics wise. Are you being serious? It blows everything else out of the water in the context of its release date. Only Killzone 3 is looking as impressive at the moment. I'm sure the PC version will crank things up a notch though if you're that worried.

Finally the MW2 reference, not really sure where this came from outside of the sniper section? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

gizmo wrote: »
    Next, graphics wise. Are you being serious? It blows everything else out of the water in the context of its release date. Only Killzone 3 is looking as impressive at the moment. I'm sure the PC version will crank things up a notch though if you're that worried.

Finally the MW2 reference, not really sure where this came from outside of the sniper section? :confused:

Crysis 1 (released 2007) on my PC last night

qLeG8.jpg

Crysis 2 (released 2011) on console, today

Crysis24.jpg

Here's some screenshots from my pc from 2.5 yrs ago (dated July 2008),
    *note* this isn't even Crysis maxed, I only had a 512MB 4870 at the time and couldn't enable antialiasing or put settings all on high.

c9361.jpg
    37a52.jpg
    c0b27.jpg
    72401.jpg

They said the game wouldn't be dumbed down on console, but its obvious it has. The first Crysis MP supported upto 32 players as did Crysis wars (which was great IMO). MP doesn't interest Me now, not buying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

So what ye are saying is that you're 2 and a half year old PC is better than a five year old console. Wow

Anyway for anyone thats interested demo is on Xbox now.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,674 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Im not thrilled about the MP either way. Like I said I tried the other night and it wasnt pleasant at all. at least Counterstrike still runs hundreds of active, honest servers. I'd reconsider if it was tied into Steam with VAC, I truly would.

However - keeping things honest - it's not fair to compare urban environment with no AA (and apparently HDR disabled?) to Crysis' Jungle Environment, rendered on PC with those options enabled. theres just way more going on in that scenescape.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

What is the point in comparing Crysis to Crysis 2 screenshots when high resolution screenshot of the PC version of Crysis 2 are not even available yet?

Also BFBC2 allows more players per map on PC I doubt it is completely beyond the technical abilities of the creators of a multi-platform gaming engine to do likewise.

qLeG8.jpg
    exactly where was this capture taken? I cant seem to replicate that fog on my own machine. which graphics card are you using? Are you using custom configs?

qLeG8.jpg
    No offence but that looks remarkably like one of the promo pictures released before the game came out.
    Crysis 2 (released 2011) on console, today

Crysis24.jpg
    Indeed, on console. You were expecting the two to be the same?
    They said the game wouldn't be dumbed down on console, but its obvious it has. The first Crysis MP supported upto 32 players as did Crysis wars (which was great IMO). MP doesn't interest Me now, not buying
    So you're equating "dumbed down" with a smaller number of players on the map? So does that mean Counter Strike is dumbed down compared to Battlefield?

As for the lunacy of judging the multiplayer from a brief promo video, have you even played the demo yet or do you intend playing it when it's released for the PC eventually?

• Advertisement

Im with Gizmo. Obviously the console will have to be scaled down somewhere. The obvious lack of Anti-Aliasing, for instance. Something found on just about every PC title for many many years now. And look at other Console Ports of PC titles, does the Orange Box on 360 indicate what you can scale the graphics up to on the PC? No, it does not.

Also how does one judge the size of the map from a couple screenshots? A narrow street, but for how many square miles? How many buildings are accessible? Comparing it to Arma also isn't really that fair, and no while I enjoy Cat and Mouse I don't particularly like the idea of trying to find your opponent on a 10 square mile board when both of you can flip on a cloak and hide behind a bush with a sniper rifle that can hit a target a mile away.

Especially when the other ****er uses aimbot.

Had a go of the demo and even though its much smoother (as in it actually works) than when i played it last summer it is unsurprisingly still not a great game.

definitely not seeing fog. unless you've enabled something special in the console, thats a fake/promo image, imo. Or if Nvidia did one of those ghey things like pay off the developer to only enable certain features with their own cards.

Here are some screenshots I captured earlier, 1680x1050 8xAA Maximum Settings with AMD HD5770

http://s407.photobucket.com/albums/pp157/overheal1987/Crysis/?albumview=slideshow

So you're equating "dumbed down" with a smaller number of players on the map? So does that mean Counter Strike is dumbed down compared to Battlefield?

You can't compare Counterstrike and Battlefield, they're completely different types of game. This however, was touted is a console version of a game that has been released on pc, but is now completely watered down. Gone are the spectacular graphics that are still used as a graphics showcase today, gone are the vehicles, gone are the big maps, gone are the big 32 player games. All of these amount to a dumbed down game made to suit what a console is capable of, there's nothing of the old game there, this is a console game with little similarities to the others.
    As for the lunacy of judging the multiplayer from a brief promo video, have you even played the demo yet or do you intend playing it when it's released for the PC eventually?

Eh, demo? I'd try it if I could but only the Xbox gets the luxury of a demo, shows exactly what market they're aiming for

You can't compare Counterstrike and Battlefield, they're completely different types of game. This however, was touted is a console version of a game that has been released on pc, but is now completely watered down. Gone are the spectacular graphics that are still used as a graphics showcase today, gone are the vehicles, gone are the big maps, gone are the big 32 player games. All of these amount to a dumbed down game made to suit what a console is capable of, there's nothing of the old game there, this is a console game with little similarities to the others.

Eh, demo? I'd try it if I could but only the Xbox gets the luxury of a demo, shows exactly what market they're aiming for

MAG is on a PS3 and has 256 players on a map 1 kilometre square, has vehicles and works flawlessly.

So to suggest a console cant do huge player numbers or large maps is just wrong.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Just played it. It's rubbish.

It's Call of Duty in Crysis clothes. The game isn't finished, its more of a beta than a demo, the killcams are borked, by the time the shotgun is unlocked, everyone is running around with shotguns because it's hilariously overpowered (it was overpowered in the original Crysis too IMO, but the massive maps compensated for it).

The map I played is small, standard COD size. Even the killstreaks are identical to COD. Hitboxes are rubbish (I quite liked the COD hitboxes on consoles, despite the slight autoaim). There's no aim assists in Crysis 2 from what I could see, but the hit detection is rubbish.

Graphically the game is fairly average. Was playing on a full HD screen and some of the wall textures were blurry at best. Theres some nice details on foliage, but nothing that would make me gasp with wonder. Defintely not the Crysis/Crysis Warhead standard that we have seen. Sound is fairly solid though, as its redeeming feature.

I'm going to pass unless the PC version is completely different from the console versions. In short, the Crysis 2 demo is a dumbed down poor clone of the Call of Duty franchise. Just have to wait and see what they churn out for the rest of the multiplayer and the single player experience.

This was not touted as a console version of a three year old PC game, it is an entirely new game and as such should not be criticised if it features a different kind of multiplayer game. I'll also reiterate that you really can't tell what kind of MP game it's going to be from that video.

Gone are the spectacular graphics? They're extremely impressive for a console release. The PC graphics will be better. I thought this would be quite obvious?

No vehicles shown in one video does not equate to them being removed entirely.

As I said earlier, if they've chosen a different route for the multiplayer then it makes sense to change the number of players and the size of the map. If you want large player counts and large maps then just play a different game, this seems to be going in a different direction and I'd much prefer to not see the MP mode becoming a jack of all trades, master of none. Different does not necessarily mean bad.
    I did say "when it's released for the PC" which it will be in due time. Given the nature of the download i.e. Gold sub only, I'd wager that MS paid for an exclusive, whether timed or otherwise.

Since there's no pc demo I'll take Cherrys word on it, I was right

console demo for Multiplayer? hitboxing complaints and shotgun balance?

Crysis was only ever a single player game. I take the Zero Punctuation approach. I wont Not be buying it over a portion of the game ill probably only enjoy for a few hours.

If I want "different" Multiplayer, I load up Shattered Horizons during the free weekend. Now that game is Boss.

More importanly any word on this damn screenshot?? I want fog too, if I can actually ****ing get it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Overheal wrote: »
    c
    Crysis was only ever a single player game. I take the Zero Punctuation approach. I wont Not be buying it over a portion of the game ill probably only enjoy for a few hours.

Well in my personal experience, Crysis Wars was excellent and I played that game for months. The single player experience lasted me a week and I stretched that too (it was also excellent)

• Advertisement

Well in my personal experience, Crysis Wars was excellent and I played that game for months. The single player experience lasted me a week and I stretched that too (it was also excellent)
    I already deleted my local files for Crysis Wars. All I saw was a bunch of aimbotting and running around. Perhaps it was worthwhile when it was new. But that thus illustrates the flaccid nature of multiplayer.

console demo for Multiplayer? hitboxing complaints and shotgun balance?
    Yea, you'd swear they couldn't fix things up before release after feedback from the demo or, shock horror, patch them soon after. :pac:

As for the graphics, can we please stop comparing them to Crysis on the PC, they're not going to be to the same standard. **** all else is on any platform to be honest...

Thank you.

Just because they're expanding their lower settings to fit on consoles doesn't mean they will chop out their max settings.

Counterstrike supports up to 32 players but doesn't stop the odd 40 or 50 player server sprouting up either.

As for the graphics, can we please stop comparing them to Crysis on the PC, they're not going to be to the same standard. **** all else is on any platform to be honest...

I didn't compare the graphics to the PC. I was playing it on the 360 so it was only just to compare it to other games of a similar genre on that console. It was average, with some blurred textures.

My opinion on the demo was not a PC biased one. It was one from a mutual point of view. Even though I am an avid PC gamer, I also play my 360 quite a lot.
    Overheal wrote:
    All I saw was a bunch of aimbotting and running around.

Never have an issue. Plenty of PB servers this side of the world.

You werent but Pog was :)
    Never have an issue. Plenty of PB servers this side of the world.
    Ill try again in the interest of fairness and expand my filter to tolerate a wider area.

I didn't compare the graphics to the PC. I was playing it on the 360 so it was only just to compare it to other games of a similar genre on that console. It was average, with some blurred textures.
    Aye, what Overheal said plus I was specifically referring to the "Defintely not the Crysis/Crysis Warhead standard that we have seen" comment. I'll give it a whack later on the big TV and see what the story is anyway.

Ill try again in the interest of fairness and expand my filter to tolerate a wider area.

I don't think theres a region filter in it. :o

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

PogMoThoin wrote:

The multiplayer player beta is Xbox only. I'm pretty sure there will be a multiplat single player demo out soon.
    It's Call of Duty in Crysis clothes. The game isn't finished, its more of a beta than a demo,

It is a beta.

My impression of it where that the graphics where good but not great. Sound was very good. Gameplay I can't comment on cause I can't use a pad to play FPS for the life of me.

I'm more intereted in single player. Multiplayer doesn't interest me. Hoping the Alien are more fun to fight than the they where in 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Sound is very good alright and shotgun is not overpowered, graphics are not great though, I can't read any of the text in-game.

• Advertisement

I don't think theres a region filter in it. :o
    there is a ping filter though.

Advertisement