Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lotto Win. Who would you tell, would you stay anonymous?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

It'd come out anyway.

If you didn't step forward and it was a big jackpot, the shop owner could release the CCTV footage of you. They know the exact time you were there.
    I asked it over in the Legal forum about this. Not much you can do to stop it

And for me, I have a lowly, lowest of the low position in a bank.
    I can see the begruding comments now
    "Banker wins lotto", I'd be the most hated man on boards :(

*spits chips*

You, you, you BANKER!!!

*only jokin! hope you line your jocks with taxpayers cash every day!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭stevejr

But what if you told nobody at all and just started buying stuff? Think I would be afraid of the neighbours etc drawing the wrong conclusions. Junkies showing up at the door, a la The Commitments, thinking you're selling drugs.

Bit far-fetched I know...but it would be nigh on impossible to explain the new wealth.............Imo

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Make it public, and change your answering machine to simply say 'Fk Off'.

Or keep it private, lodge it in an offshore account and then one day, just disappear.

Don't you get more money if you go public?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 The General.

stevejr wrote: »
    But what if you told nobody at all and just started buying stuff? Think I would be afraid of the neighbours etc drawing the wrong conclusions. Junkies showing up at the door, a la The Commitments, thinking you're selling drugs.

Bit far-fetched I know...but it would be nigh on impossible to explain the new wealth.............Imo
    Simple answer to them folk. "F**k off and mind your own f**king business"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Anon.

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »
    Oooooh, no recession in your house :pac:

No I gotta Lotto Bailout!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

fabbydabby wrote: »

Irish lotto, you have the choice
    20,000 euro extra if you go public with the Irish lotto

Afaik with the Euromillions they force you to go public

20k extra to go public?? Maybe being greedy would cost you in the long run tho.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I wouldn't tell anyone.

Not even the missus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

I wouldn't tell anyone.

Not even the missus.

Former missus... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Former missus... :rolleyes:

I wouldn't tell the future missus either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭worded

I had a friend once who won a six figure sum on the lotto. I was a very interesting experience to see the ex-girlfriends who had previously cheated on him suddenly develop a new 'love' for him, not to mention the so called 'friends' who would invite him over for a game of cards. (Except they had already agreed to rig the game to take as much as they could from him.)

A friend of a friend met a mates x. Did you hear the news about Jim? He has won the pools! (He hadnt and he didnt tell his mate he had told her a fib)
    She of course called him out of the blue ........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Love many trust few and always paddle your own canoe.

Eat cake, get baked & don't forget to pull your snake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

fabbydabby wrote: »
    Make it public, and change your answering machine to simply say 'Fk Off'.

Or keep it private, lodge it in an offshore account and then one day, just disappear.

Tbh if I won and they started messing about with that sh1te I'd just ask for my €2 back and tell them to forget it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

anon in the caiman islands

Tbh if I won and they started messing about with that sh1te I'd just ask for my €2 back and tell them to forget it

A friend of mine won a brand new BMW sports car a few years ago through the Evening Herald. It was a "lowest bid auction".

He bid €1.38.

When he went to collect the car, he brought the money with him, in exact change, just in case they asked him for it.

He's from Cavan, which explains the last bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

A friend of mine won a brand new BMW sports car a few years ago through the Evening Herald. It was a "lowest bid auction".

He bid €1.38.

When he went to collect the car, he brought the money with him, in exact change, just in case they asked him for it.

Did he get a feckin beemer for €1.38!? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

i would only tell those very close to me, otherwise i would have a lot of new 'friends'

If you have millions of dollars, you have millions of friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,827 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Depends on the amount. €1/2million, i'd tell people, because i'd have it spent nearly straight away, and i wouldn't be lieing when i tell people i have none left. I would be living comfortably however.

If i won €5million+, i probably wouldn't tell anyone outside my family and a couple of very close friends. If it gets found out, it gets found out, still not going to be giving anyone money.

And yes, i'd flash the cash with expensive cars and an oversized house. And i'd never work again. I'd quit by ****ting on my bosses desk while he's on the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Any link to confirm this?

Someone told me this on New Years Eve.
    I looked into it a few days ago.

It is not true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Any link to confirm this?

Someone told me this on New Years Eve.
    I looked into it a few days ago.

It is not true.[/QUOTE]

Ya its not true...I told no one when I won it ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I wouldn't tell anyone.

Not even the missii.
    :D

Did he get a feckin beemer for €1.38!? :eek:

No... he got a feckin beemer for zero punts. He didn't even have to hand over the €1.37!!

A brand new spanking BMW covertable sports car - top of the range, worth around 30 grand.

The gas thing is, he didn't even have a licence or insurance at the time, but after the press photoshoot, he drove it out of the garage & all the way back home to Cavan. Talk about a white knuckle ride!!

The boring bit is that he sold it the week after for 5 grand less, but it paid off all his debts & he put the rest towards a deposit on a house.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

He bid €1.38.

How do they work? i bid 1 cent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EuroMillions#Notable_wins

The top 2 winners are anonymous. The wiki page has the links to prove it.

If I won a load of money, i'd get the next flights available to Rio De Janiero and chill out for a couple of weeks. I'd then travel up to NY and call round 50 cent, ask him to shoot archery with me and enquire about the latest bulletproof technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I haven't won the lotto but i have inhertied a huge amount. I haven't told mates about how much it really is. I told them i won a small amount on a recent trip to Vegas despite them knowing i was in Minnesota. So i'll spend a few hundred thousand on them and then it's annonymous town. If ever won the lotto i'd follow a same type of story. No way would i reveal who i was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭chicken fingers

Wouldn't tell anyone but I'd probably spend more time than I do already teasing pedestrians with €20 notes and a fishing rod
    I like to do this with fake notes and fishing wire.

I would probably go to vegas, bet half of it on black on the roulette (or short oil or something else equally chancey), stick the other half in my investment portfolio and live as I live anyways.

Maaaaybe I might buy a fancy new jeep and get it armoured just for the hell of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭CharlesHaughey

I'd build up my own theme park with hookers and blackjack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭bob the bob

My plan has always to keep quiet, buy a property or two in a different part of the country (with the estate agents well paid to take care of the crap that goes along with this) , rent it out, buy another, and continue buying a few more for a few years.

Once I have a few properties on the go, I could start living a higher standard of life without too much question of where the money comes from (vague references to a property portfolio, bought them cheap etc), phase out the day job, etc. Then I could start being philonthropic to close friends and family IF they are in need.

This way, people don't envy my "easy" money, it limits the hangers on and "new" friends that winners get.

Advertisement