Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lotto Win. Who would you tell, would you stay anonymous?

Options
  • 09-01-2011 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭

So I get five 5 numbers in the lotto tonight, really delighted! But it got me thinking on how I'd behave if I won the whole thing? Would I stay anonymous, how would I behave. All Pie-in-the-sky stuff I know!

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

You won €1,391??
    Well done! - Can i have some??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭stevejr

Yes...............IOU 1euro:pac:

It's spoken for by MBNA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

You see I'd be kinda pissed off if I just one that amount after getting 5/6 numbers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i would only tell those very close to me, otherwise i would have a lot of new 'friends'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

congrats op :)

i'm hopeful about winning the lotto, but unfortunately i never actually play it :rolleyes:

oh, i'd tell my family and close friend and no one else btw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

stevejr wrote: »
    Yes...............IOU 1euro:pac:

Get in!

And no - i wouldnt tell anyone, not even my close family. Id fake my own death and move somewhere nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Gaudizeit

I think they'd notice when I rock up in a nice beamer and tell them to shove their job where the sun don't shine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Well done OP!

I once got 5 numbers, but it was on the Lotto plus 1 so I only got €350, I was just one number away from winning €350000!

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

It would depend on the jackpot. If it was over 5 million, I would put my family members on the ticket to avoid them being taxed on any gift over 5K. F*ck giving this country any more money. They will have have to sign an agreement that I was a 40% contibutor to the ticket.

Everyone happy!:D

I would still stay anonymous and be a prick at work until fired/made redundant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I would tell no one for a good while, not even close family. Stay anonymous, whatshername got millions of begging letters after she won the €125 mill on the euromillions!!

• Advertisement

Was actually pretty pissed off when I saw the amount, was having dreams of grandeur for a brief moment.............:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭strokemyclover

Wouldn't tell anyone but I'd probably spend more time than I do already teasing pedestrians with €20 notes and a fishing rod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭M.Pool

congrats OP. I'd like to think I'd remain anonymous if I'd the luck to win big. Wouldn't like the attention of the local press etc.
    Years ago a man from my home town won the lotto. The story ran in the local papers. He'd the same name as my Dad. We got loads of phone calls congratulating Dad on his win. Needless to say they thought we were lying to cover up.

It would depend on the jackpot. If it was over 5 million, I would put my family members on the ticket to avoid them being taxed on any gift over 5K. F*ck giving this country any more money. They will have have to sign an agreement that I was a 40% contibutor to the ticket.

Everyone happy!:D

I would still stay anonymous and be a prick at work until fired/made redundant

Hmmm sounds like you've one it once before............:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Holybejaysus

I had a friend once who won a six figure sum on the lotto. I was a very interesting experience to see the ex-girlfriends who had previously cheated on him suddenly develop a new 'love' for him, not to mention the so called 'friends' who would invite him over for a game of cards. (Except they had already agreed to rig the game to take as much as they could from him.)

He has nothing left now, people kept pestering him for drinks the whole time and loans that were never paid back. It's like being famous, people no longer treat you as yourself, they see you as a walking dollar sign.

Personally, I wouldn't tell a single soul. I'd quietly invest the money in property or stocks and try to build a secure life for future generations of my family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Kerikosan

I'd tell my immediate family, then bank it in the credit union and live fat off the interest ha ha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Id tell everyone then pay to have them silenced, why ? because im fkin rich i can do anything this is Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

Congrats op, u won't find that lying around to often all the same.
    Defo tell no one, it will only cause hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Was actually pretty pissed off when I saw the amount, was having dreams of grandeur for a brief moment.............:o

How were you not gutted that the last numbers didnt come out?! i know a grand is a grand,hell i'd be beaming if i won that too but soooo close to the bigger one.

If I did (which i plan on doing next week :pac: ) win the jackpot i wouldnt tell anyone for a while, id head up, collect it, then never return to work. I'd imagine thatd be the best feeling, if you won enough to live on for the rest of your life comfortably (or extravagantly :pac:) and knowing you never have to attend a staff meeting, or deal with a dickhead boss, or office politics, or the public or all the other crap that people put up with in daily work life. That first morning of waking up knowing you never have to work again surely must be what heaven feels like.

Might even subscribe to Boards now......:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Might even subscribe to Boards now......:D

Oooooh, no recession in your house :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

Yes I would!!! I'd be anomomomyomnommnomimus and RICH !!!

RICH I TELLS YA!!! :)

krudler wrote: »
    How were you not gutted that the last numbers didnt come out?! i know a grand is a grand,hell i'd be beaming if i won that too but soooo close to the bigger one.

I didn't watch live thank god or I'd be on a trolley in A&E now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

During the last recession, a family near us won a 6 figure sum. They featured in all the papers as they won the first ever rollover jackpot. They were inundated with begging letters afterwards, and one couple walked 150 miles to their house to ask for £2000 to stop them being evicted from their home!

They regretted making it public!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It'd come out anyway.

If you didn't step forward and it was a big jackpot, the shop owner could release the CCTV footage of you. They know the exact time you were there.
    I asked it over in the Legal forum about this. Not much you can do to stop it

And for me, I have a lowly, lowest of the low position in a bank.
    I can see the begruding comments now
    "Banker wins lotto", I'd be the most hated man on boards :(

• Registered Users Posts: 36 The General.

I'm not so sure if i woud tell everyone if i won the lotto or not. I suppose it all depends on how much i won.
    With my winnings though, i would probably get a tattoo across the top of my back saying "I am considerably richer than you". LOL. I'd have to check to make sure the spelling is correct first,though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

I'd tell everyone, and enjoy watching people coming up to me acting all friendly when I'm out, people who'd never look at me otherwise nor me them, looking to get something out of me. I'd then enjoy telling them to fcuk away off whilst I spark up a big cigar with a €100 note.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Before I had childers I would but now only myself and the hubby would know. My parents won 10,000 in a local draw on Monday biggest win in my family ever delighted for them. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

It depends on how much I won. Although I would tell my family of course, but if I won a massive amount of money, I think people would cop on.

Like if I won 100m, I'd probably finish my degree and then just do voluntary work for a while, go on a trip around the world, buy a nice house, a nice car and make sure my family were looked after. I think people might cop on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

I would tell my family, and then buy a big field and build a house for each of my brothers and sisters and parents in the field and take all of us on a big holiday.

Advertisement