Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buzzard Observations

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭sables2

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Don't u mean "vultures";)
    Ha, ha. Vultures. Your correct Birdnuts..sounds more 'original' :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

Buzzards can regularly be seen hovering over Waterstown Park in Palmerstown. The local park rangers can often point them out to you across the Liffey Valley where they nest. Its also a great spot for other wildlife such as foxes ,badgers and otters.

Rinker wrote: »
    Buzzards can regularly be seen hovering over Waterstown Park in Palmerstown. The local park rangers can often point them out to you across the Liffey Valley where they nest. Its also a great spot for other wildlife such as foxes ,badgers and otters.
    Thanks Rinker,
    That's great to know. Tell me: do you have to go through the easy-pass to get to it...Waterstown Park? I'm sure it's well worth the visit. Kids would love it too! Would you see Red Kites also, or are they more inclined to be in Co. Wicklow & Kildare rural regions...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

All I could see was a black image so I photoshoped it a little....
    buzzard.jpg

Looks quiet big alright though the ones we have up around the Naul all seem to be huge too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

sables2 wrote: »
    Thanks Rinker,
    That's great to know. Tell me: do you have to go through the easy-pass to get to it...Waterstown Park? I'm sure it's well worth the visit. Kids would love it too! Would you see Red Kites also, or are they more inclined to be in Co. Wicklow & Kildare rural regions...:rolleyes:

The park is on the south side of the Liffey. Turn off the M50 at the N4 and go towards the City, take your first left turn (at lights), go to T junction and turn left, after 100m turn right onto Waterstown Lane. At end of lane turn right into Stewarts. Park is entered through here. The car park has the best vantage points over the park.
    Theres a programme on Liffey Sound 96.4 FM on Sunday afternoons 3-4 and they often discuss the wildlife in the Park.
    I have never heard of Red Kites being spotted in this area.

• Advertisement

Scotty # wrote: »
    All I could see was a black image so I photoshoped it a little....

Looks quiet big alright though the ones we have up around the Naul all seem to be huge too.
    Amazing what photoshop can do! Looks SO much better.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Amazing what photoshop can do! Looks SO much better.:)

Disagree. It looks like something from a scifi. I used autocorrect and got the same result But appreciated all the same :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Yea it could be enhanced a lot more to not look 'sci-fi' but it's time consuming and as the bird would still only be a silhouette I didn't see the point.

It really depends on your monitor also, on mine all I could see was black. Others would see a much clearer silhouette.

Anyway....

On birdwatchireland it says "Largely resident, though Ireland receives birds from Britain during the winter." I would have thought it was the other way round as I have always noticed a big decline in sightings at this time of year. Or is it that they are still there and just don't soar as much?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Thats interesting !!!

I've been wondering why these 2 haven't nested in the area. AND, I only see them about in the winter.

There's a family unit (x3) in the Prosperous area that can be seen often - I've seen up to 5 soaring at times. But, I don't think that these roosting birds are part of that unit.

Migration might explain it.

Re: your decline in sightings - I reckon its definitely due to birds staying local as oppsed to soaring. I tend to see ceratin birds in the same places now. The Prosperous ones for example and there's one regularly in the large field opposite the ESB place on the Straffan road out of Maynooth (sits regularly on one of the pylons).

I wonder do our summer residents move south as British ones move in though ? (I asusme it's Scottish birds)

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭mallards

I'm plagued with crows and magpies in my area so I trap them to try and control them. I also have up to six buzzards on my ground and they get into the trap to feast on the crows. This lad got in and had a meal and I let him go again, but they never learn!

IMG_0858.jpg

IMG_0861.jpg

IMG_0862.jpg

Mallards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,645 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Thanx Mallards for those great pics and observations:) - I would agree with you too that when it comes to IQ among our birds of prey - buzzards are pretty dopey:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭mallards

It's not just buzzards, This female sparrowhawk had to get in on the action!

PIC_0020-4-1.jpg

I've even had a Kestrel give it a go, all released none the worse for wear I might add!

Mallards

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

saw one just outside galway city today. are they nationwide now????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

saw one just outside galway city today. are they nationwide now????

Yeah they are pretty widespread now. Here is the bird atlas map from 2-3 years ago. They have spread a bit more since this map. I have a book on irelands birds with a map that has them covering most of connacht, all of ulster and leinster and eastern munster.
    Ive seen one near galway city a month ago and Ive seen one over the n17 in mayo too.
    They should get quite common in a few years :D
    attachment.php?attachmentid=138099&stc=1&d=1291463299

Yeah they are pretty widespread now. Here is the bird atlas map from 2-3 years ago. They have spread a bit more since this map. I have a book on irelands birds with a map that has them covering most of connacht, all of ulster and leinster and eastern munster.
    Ive seen one near galway city a month ago and Ive seen one over the n17 in mayo too.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=138099&stc=1&d=1291463299
    Hi snowstreams,
    That's an amazing spread! I cannot believe that progression in the map. The UK is totally wide spread. Thanks for that post :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭ender ender

Saw my first buzzard in Ardgillan in Dublin last week. I know they've been there a while but I've never seen one before. Couldn't get over the size and noise of the thing. I've seen kestrels and peregrines, they seem dinky in comparison!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

That's great news. I might actually see one sometime!

littlebug wrote: »
    That's great news. I might actually see one sometime!
    All you lads seem to have an 'eagle eye'....where IS the most likely place off the M50to see a buzzard ? I tried Rathnew & Avoca to see a red kite - no such luck. I'm been told they're no problem to spot if you wait...guess what..i did wait: 2 hours :rolleyes:!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

only saw one this morning actually!

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Saw this guy about 2 weeks ago.

img0026i.jpg

img0028o0.jpg

• Advertisement

All you lads seem to have an 'eagle eye'....where IS the most likely place off the M50to see a buzzard ? I tried Rathnew & Avoca to see a red kite - no such luck. I'm been told they're no problem to spot if you wait...guess what..i did wait: 2 hours :rolleyes:!

I'm new to bird watching but it is a waiting game with lots of luck at times. Try around the Blanchardstown M50 intersection or the Kingswood intersection on the Naas Rd just south of Clondalkin.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

Every single time i have driven N2 to Ashbourne i have seen a buzzard, usually seated in small trees or on mway lights near coldwinters slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Yep, most days I drive from Greystones to Dundalk and back. First spot Bray, then Cherrywood, Sandyford, Tallaght, Blanchardstown, Airport, Balbriggan, Julianstown, Dundalk. I'd say on average I see three a day and never drive up and down without seeing one.

V Bull wrote: »
    I'm new to bird watching but it is a waiting game with lots of luck at times. Try around the Blanchardstown M50 intersection or the Kingswood intersection on the Naas Rd just south of Clondalkin.
    Thanks V Bull. Great info. Your new to birding....(the image of that buzzard was a good start) :eek: ;)

Thanks V Bull. Great info. Your new to birding....(the image of that buzzard was a good start) :eek: ;)

Thanks, just got into it a couple years ago, always liked birds & animals & stuff. I still have big problems identifying alot of birds, particularly the smaller type and waders, all very enjoyable I might add.

The photo's were taken between Clonee & Dunboyne on the old road with a Canon 400D but had to crop & adjust.

I always keep the camera in the car when driving about, you never know what might jump out of the bushes........:P

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Lissoy

I have a pair of buzzards that hang around a big open field beside my home on the coast of Meath. It is great to hear them calling at dusk these cold evenings. The snow seems to magnify the sound.
    I have also noticed recently 3 hooded crows bullying the buzzards when they are perching on the ESB poles in the field and then standing guard on the poles waiting for them to return and chasing them away again.
    I'm hoping they don't chase them away permanently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭ender ender

Saw my second buzzard today at Ballealy land fill near Lusk. Scanning the skies for buzzards has become my new favourite pastime...

• Registered Users Posts: 31 wrecks1971

If you take the M3 go as far as Dunboyne exit follow new link rd in the direction of Maynooth. You don`t need to go far, just after the roundabout beside the new rail carpark. There is always about 4-5 around this area,anytime i`ve been there anyway.

wrecks1971 wrote: »
    If you take the M3 go as far as Dunboyne exit follow new link rd in the direction of Maynooth. You don`t need to go far, just after the roundabout beside the new rail carpark. There is always about 4-5 around this area,anytime i`ve been there anyway.
    Thanks wrecks1971,
    That's great to know. I'll try there this weekend...hopefully, weather permitting. ;)

• Advertisement

Today... a pair of Buzzards & a little friend keeping a watchfull eye on them.......:cool:

img0150copy.jpg

img0136w0.jpg

Advertisement