Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buzzard Observations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Bsal

Around 14:30 this afternoon there was six Buzzards and one Kestrel over my house near Swords, the Buzzards seemed to be chasing the Kestrel off while they where soaring high. There was also alot of Swallows flying around the Buzzards too, it was a great sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 rog1985

Buzzards vary widly in their shade and colouring. They are really on the increase. Its great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

saw between 4-6 on Saturdat around lunchtime,in the forest just above Stepaside driving range
    i wish i had my binoc's with me last week at the Ryder Cup in Wales,i spotted a couple of Eagles and a lot of Buzzards,also some other BOP i couldn't i.d,my mates were stuck into the golf,they couldn't understand why i was looking at "poxy birds" instead of the golf,GOONS!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

BOP of some kind over a business park in Athlone today, where I've also seen plenty of rabbits. Camera coming with me tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

just saw 3 maybe 4 today soaring up very high.

one was farther away than the other two. and had another bird with it, slightly smaller could have been a rook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

trebor28 wrote: »
    just saw 3 maybe 4 today soaring up very high.

one was farther away than the other two. and had another bird with it, slightly smaller could have been a rook.

new n2 motorway is a great place to observe these birds. nearly 100 percent rate every time i drive it. ward/ swords area very plentiful. usually perched on top of motorway lights

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

There are 3 buzzards across the road from me in some trees and a further 6 in some woodland close by. One perches on a post at the top of the garden. I sit out in the evening listening to them call to one and other. Now the other day one was perched on a gate post up from the house and I pulled the car in to look at it, as it flew away it appeared to have a wing tag. I might be mistaken as it may have been a trick of the eye but it was only about 20 ft away. Does anyone know if there is a tagging scheme for them at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

homerhop wrote: »
    There are 3 buzzards across the road from me in some trees and a further 6 in some woodland close by. One perches on a post at the top of the garden. I sit out in the evening listening to them call to one and other. Now the other day one was perched on a gate post up from the house and I pulled the car in to look at it, as it flew away it appeared to have a wing tag. I might be mistaken as it may have been a trick of the eye but it was only about 20 ft away. Does anyone know if there is a tagging scheme for them at the moment?

Not as far as I am aware - Are you sure it wasn't a juvenile Red Kite??, they can look like a buzzard from certain angles, I've made this mistake in the past myself:)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Mabel

Saw a massive one on the M50 yesterday. I know some people are given to exaggerating sizes but I honestly thought this was a young Golden Eagle (am 99.9% sure it was a Buzzard :p ). It was just sitting in a tree sheltering from the rain. Even in the car could clearly see it looking balefully around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭sables2

Mabel wrote: »
    Saw a massive one on the M50 yesterday. I know some people are given to exaggerating sizes but I honestly thought this was a young Golden Eagle (am 99.9% sure it was a Buzzard :p ). It was just sitting in a tree sheltering from the rain. Even in the car could clearly see it looking balefully around.
    Hi Mabel,
    I saw a pair a few days ago at: Kilruddery House, Bray, Co Wicklow. There's a nature reserve here. Stunning birds of prey. Very large. Different in many ways to the elusive red kite -for one, their slightly smaller as in size. Ok, heavier set and darker markings, almost blackish in colour looking up to them. The red kite has lighter markings and has longer wings.
    I'd love to see a kite, as i haven't as yet. If anyone has any idea's as to where would be best? I've tried Rathnew, Co. Wicklow, Avoca Village, Co. Wicklow.but to no avail unfortunately.

• Advertisement

marlin vs wrote: »
    I got this picture of a pair of Buzzard's while pigeon shooting, as the circled overhead.holly007medium.jpg
    Hi marlin vs,
    This is an AMAZING picture. I envy you totally! Wish i could spot one...(buzzard). Everyone's' on about Rathnew and Avoca to spot red kites: not me. I've tried these places but to no avail. Any places appreciated please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

sables2 wrote: »
    I'd love to see a kite, as i haven't as yet. If anyone has any idea's as to where would be best? I've tried Rathnew, Co. Wicklow, Avoca Village, Co. Wicklow.but to no avail unfortunately.
    In case you haven't seen it there is a thread dedicated to Red Kite and it may provide more info with regard to seeing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Not as far as I am aware - Are you sure it wasn't a juvenile Red Kite??, they can look like a buzzard from certain angles, I've made this mistake in the past myself:)

Was def a buzzard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

Hi marlin vs,
    This is an AMAZING picture. I envy you totally! Wish i could spot one...(buzzard). Everyone's' on about Rathnew and Avoca to spot red kites: not me. I've tried these places but to no avail. Any places appreciated please.

i'm always weary as i posted a great spot for a Red Kite in Avoca and i got lashed here by a few that thought shooters might get involved:confused:
    anyway pm me is probably the best bet,don't want to upset anyone

Mothman wrote: »
    In case you haven't seen it there is a thread dedicated to Red Kite and it may provide more info with regard to seeing them.
    Thanks Mothman. Sounds really worth a look.:)

homerhop wrote: »
    Was def a buzzard

Ok - there could be 2 possiblities here

1) It was tagged by Damian Clarkes team in Wicklow since I now recall that he takes in reports of all breeding larger raptors in this region(as well as his work on Kites), though I was not aware he was tagging buzzards: he's email is availiable on www.goldeneagle.ie so drop him a line to see if it might be a bird he happened to handle

2) This bird is a migrant from another part of Europe and could have been tagged there as a youngster in its home country since Northern and Eastern birds are long distance migrants that head South in winter

Hope that helps, I'd be interested in what the story is with this bird myself:)

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Serious question this,
    Would a Buzzard think about going for a small dog? Iv a small Jack Russell and i was out with her and the German shepard yesterday when a buzzard came flying down toward her and turned away about 10 feet above her. It then landed on a pole close by and sat looking, it was amazing to see!
    I was down at the beach when it happened and she was out sniffing around on the sand while me and the GShepard were sitting in the sand dunes watching.
    I dont think the Buzzard saw me until it got really close as i was well hidden in the dunes.

skipz wrote: »
    Serious question this,
    Would a Buzzard think about going for a small dog? Iv a small Jack Russell and i was out with her and the German shepard yesterday when a buzzard came flying down toward her and turned away about 10 feet above her. It then landed on a pole close by and sat looking, it was amazing to see!
    I was down at the beach when it happened and she was out sniffing around on the sand while me and the GShepard were sitting in the sand dunes watching.
    I dont think the Buzzard saw me until it got really close as i was well hidden in the dunes.

Not very likely given that rabbits would be the upper end(in terms of seize) of live prey for buzzards - I had a similiar experience with a Raven a few years back. Raptors and Corvids often mob other predators likes foxes,badgers, cats etc. for reasons that include viewing them as compeditors and/or threats. The buzzard in your case was probably engaging in this behaviour. In countries with much higher buzzard populations/densities then ours such as the UK and most of continental Europe, there has to my knowledge been no cases of buzzards picking up live dogs as prey:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

I've got a pair roosting in a large tree across the lane. They used this spot last winter also. Pity they don't (haven't) use it as a nest site.

I'll try to get some pics as they come back one of these evenings.

E39MSport wrote: »
    I've got a pair roosting in a large tree across the lane. They used this spot last winter also. Pity they don't (haven't) use it as a nest site.

I'll try to get some pics as they come back one of these evenings.
    Hi E39MSport,
    Love to see the pictures..if you get 'em. Your a lucky man to have such a good sighting of these wonderful raptures. Yes, I'm surprised also they didn't use it as a nesting site.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I was driving along today passing some fields and seen two Buzzards, one was sitting in a tree and the other flying low level. In the field adjacent to the Buzzards I counted upto 15 Pheasants out in the open, would a Buzzard be able to take a Pheasant or would it be to large?

Bsal wrote: »
    I was driving along today passing some fields and seen two Buzzards, one was sitting in a tree and the other flying low level. In the field adjacent to the Buzzards I counted upto 15 Pheasants out in the open, would a Buzzard be able to take a Pheasant or would it be to large?

A fully grown pheasant would be a bit large allright - buzzards aren't very agile in the air(compared to a sparrowhawk) and if the pheasant takes flight its safe enough anyway. The vast majority of their diet is made up of small mammals(up to the seize of an averge rabbit) and carrion:)

Birdnuts wrote: »
    A fully grown pheasant would be a bit large allright - buzzards aren't very agile in the air(compared to a sparrowhawk) and if the pheasant takes flight its safe enough anyway. The vast majority of their diet is made up of small mammals(up to the seize of an averge rabbit) and carrion:)
    Birdnuts is on the mark: carrion...(basically rare crow type,more common now though) rabbits, hare's, and magpie's if they're cunning enough! Where was it you saw the buzzards...if you don't mind telling me :confused:

Birdnuts is on the mark: carrion...(basically rare crow type,more common now though) rabbits, hare's, and magpie's if they're cunning enough! Where was it you saw the buzzards...if you don't mind telling me :confused:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=define%3A+carrion ;-)

There is a good few around the back roads of Dublin airport, every time I pass through 99% of the time I see them.

Bsal wrote: »
    There is a good few around the back roads of Dublin airport, every time I pass through 99% of the time I see them.
    Thanks a lot, i'll have a good look next time I'm on the M50 near airport. PS: only thing - you/i have to pay past the Easy Pass scanner...that's where the 'real eagles' are :mad:

Too dark. I need a calm evening to get the tripod out. Here's a silhouette anyway.
    IMG_6137.jpg

Thanks a lot, i'll have a good look next time I'm on the M50 near airport. PS: only thing - you/i have to pay past the Easy Pass scanner...that's where the 'real eagles' are :mad:

Don't u mean "vultures";)

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Another Thread HERE

• Advertisement

E39MSport wrote: »
    Too dark. I need a calm evening to get the tripod out. Here's a silhouette anyway.
    Hi E39MSport,
    I can just about make the buzzard out. It's very difficult too, but, i can make out the silhouette of it - and it's HUGE! Nice one ;)

Advertisement