Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM on TV?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭eon1208

04072511 wrote: »
    Please refer back to the IAAF rankings for 2010 posted by Brianderunner
    Divide that small number of your first tier amongst all the quality well run marathons each year and the numbers simply dont stack up.. Yours is a ridiculous argument really and one I am not going to argue against anymore.....

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭fiddy3

eon1208 wrote: »
    Divide that small number of your first tier amongst all the quality well run marathons each year and the numbers simply dont stack up.. Yours is a ridiculous argument really and one I am not going to argue against anymore.....

20 guys broke 2:07 last year, THAT is the top tier, not 2:09-2:11 guys who make up dublin's podium. 37 men broke 2:08 last year. 37 athletes is plenty to cover the top 3-5 in all the major marathons, especially when you consider most of them do a spring and an autumn marathon. Sorry, but the athletes running dublin have always been in the second tier of marathoners, otherwise they wouldn't be running dublin and they'd be in chicago, Berlin or new york. Get over it.

fiddy3 wrote: »
    20 guys broke 2:07 last year, THAT is the top tier, not 2:09-2:11 guys who make up dublin's podium. 37 men broke 2:08 last year. 37 athletes is plenty to cover the top 3-5 in all the major marathons, especially when you consider most of them do a spring and an autumn marathon. Sorry, but the athletes running dublin have always been in the second tier of marathoners, otherwise they wouldn't be running dublin and they'd be in chicago, Berlin or new york. Get over it.
    Your argument is sad really and makes a mockery of a beautiful sport...I wont get over something I feel passionately about and something I have a reasonable understanding of in both practice and principle...Also there are a lot more marathons televised each year than the 5 marathon majors.. Enough said...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Apart from the 2:06 guy who have been on the dublin podium. You can't companre marathon times to that extent , Dublin wouldnt be the fastest course around so lets keep a track on this years winner and see how he does in his next marathon before you rank him second class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

I would call it as it is, a sub 2.10 clocking is entitled to world class performance and such a person would be invited to 100% of races in the globe..

Edit - My point was wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

You are of course totally correct, I mean look at Rotterdam this year the guy who came 4th (not even on the podium!) ran 2:05:23 :eek: Now that's world class. No way would someone like Feyisa Lilesa waste his time running an event like Dublin...

What's that you say? He chose Dublin for his debut?

Realistically DCM is a "second tier" event in world terms but it gets an outstanding quality of field for it's size (which is to the credit of the elite team manager). And the quality of the elites is neither here nor there in the context of this argument as the average punter wouldn't know Wanjiru from Bolt. I *run* marathons and I could probably only name 3 or 4 top marathon runners, the man on the street hasn't a clue. And that's not an argument against televising your national marathon any more than the fact that the players in the Eircom League wouldn't get a shout in the UK PLis an argument against televising the FAI cup final

shels4ever wrote: »
    Apart from the 2:06 guy who have been on the dublin podium. You can't companre marathon times to that extent , Dublin wouldnt be the fastest course around so lets keep a track on this years winner and see how he does in his next marathon before you rank him second class.

And you can bet your life Lilesa will never run dublin again now that he's a 2:05 guy (yes 2:05, not 2:06!). Also he wasn't a 2:05 guy when he was on the podium. Dublin is a decent marathon, but to pretend the guys we get here are the top tier is delusional. That's my point, nothing else. It'll continue to get the 2:08-2:12 guys. At no time soon will it get a 2:05-2:06 athlete because anyone who can currently do that will go elsewhere for a better payday.

You are of course totally correct, I mean look at Rotterdam this year the guy who came 4th (not even on the podium!) ran 2:05:23 :eek: Now that's world class. No way would someone like Feyisa Lilesa waste his time running an event like Dublin...

Realistically DCM is a "second tier" event in world terms but it gets an outstanding quality of field for it's size (which is to the credit of the elite team manager). And the quality of the elites is neither here nor there in the context of this argument as the average punter wouldn't know Wanjiru from Bolt. I *run* marathons and I could probably only name 3 or 4 top marathon runners, the man on the street hasn't a clue. And that's not an argument against televising your national marathon any more than the fact that the players in the Eircom League wouldn't get a shout in the UK PLis an argument against televising the FAI cup final
    I think people are making the same points really, the event is second tire but the people are up and coming may not be top tier runners when the run dublin thats what its there for.
    Money talks in marathons and the bigger the prize fund the better runner you will get. Feyisa Lilesa must be the best ever marathon runner to run Dublin and doesnt even hold the course record ;)

2009 2:09:12 Dublin 26/10/2009

2010 2:05:23 Rotterdam 11/04/2010

He should come back ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

And you can bet your life Lilesa will never run dublin again now that he's a 2:05 guy (yes 2:05, not 2:06!). Also he wasn't a 2:05 guy when he was on the podium. Dublin is a decent marathon, but to pretend the guys we get here are the top tier is delusional. That's my point, nothing else. It'll continue to get the 2:08-2:12 guys. At no time soon will it get a 2:05-2:06 athlete because anyone who can currently do that will go elsewhere for a better payday.

...and the best way of helping to increase the prize fund which then increases the quality of the field would be...??????

That's easy, get JP McManus to pay Haile and Sammy half a million to come and run dublin, problem solved. :D Also make sure it's a properly certified course so people don't, ya know, miss out on the olympics by running their qualifier in dublin, because that would give the marathon a bad international reputation!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Right so you are saying that the 66th fastest runner this year is World Class. Ok going by that method lets look at other events in Track & Field.

100 metres Hurdles - Women

66th fastest in 2010 = Yawei Sun (China) - 13.13

NOT WORLD CLASS. Derval O'Rourke in tied 9th with 12.65 IS world class.

400m Men

66th fastest in 2010 = Nonggo Park (Korea) - 45.63

NOT WORLD CLASS. David Gillick in 8th place with 44.79 IS World Class.

100m Men

66th fastest in 2010 = Yi Lao (China) - 10.21. That is not world class. Christophe Lemaitre in 11th place with 9.97 would be world class.

Womens High Jump

66th best in 2010 = Yanjun Chen (China) - 1.88. This is NOT world class. In fact it is below Deirdre Ryan's 1.90, and nobody here would classify Deirdre as a world class athlete, no disrespect to her. Tia Hellebaut 1.97 in 10th place would be world class on the otherhand (though a fair bit off her best).

I could go on. The marathon is no different to other events in that the cream rises to the top. 66th place in a marathon is no more impressive than 66th in the Javalin except that 80% of posters here have a bias towards the marathon!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Also make sure it's a properly certified course so people don't, ya know, miss out on the olympics by running their qualifier in dublin, because that would give the marathon a bad international reputation!

The good folks in the DCM would never allow that to happen, definitely didnt happen in 2007. Nor would one of their race series races be of the incorrect distance. :D

Let me say that our argument is badly timed, 2 days after such a great race for so many of us last Monday, both participating and spectating. But i can't sit on the fence when i see such delusion.
    robinph wrote: »
    ...and the best way of helping to increase the prize fund which then increases the quality of the field would be...??????

A new sponsor would be a start. :rolleyes:

That's easy, get JP McManus to pay Haile and Sammy half a million to come and run dublin, problem solved. :D Also make sure it's a properly certified course so people don't, ya know, miss out on the olympics by running their qualifier in dublin, because that would give the marathon a bad international reputation!
    The sheikhs gave Haile a fortune to try run world recod on their soil in Dubai, Jan 2008. and for good measure threw in a couple of your second tier marathoners to pace him to 30k or whatever and called it a race... In fairness Fagan qualified for olympics in this race.... I would watch it every step of the way because of Hailes WR attempt if I could but dont call it a race in the greatest sense..Dublin can provide a real race in the best sense of the word nothwithstanding your wisecracks about course validity...Dublin can get it right and does not really need Haile or Sammy to give it credo...

That says an awful lot. If you run marathons and can only name 3 or 4 marathoners total, then you must not watch many world marathons, despite london and the GNR being on bbc, Berlin and many of the American majors being on eurosport, and anything that isn't is always available online with commentary. If you don't care to watch Berlin/New York/ Boston/ Chicago, with all the premier league of marathoners, who will give a toss about dublin, besides the people already out on the road?

He has developed since then. When he ran dublin he was not world class. He has since developed into such an athlete and you will never see him back on these shores for a marathon again! How do people not understand such a simple concept!
    And the quality of the elites is neither here nor there in the context of this argument as the average punter wouldn't know Wanjiru from Bolt. I *run* marathons and I could probably only name 3 or 4 top marathon runners, the man on the street hasn't a clue. And that's not an argument against televising your national marathon any more than the fact that the players in the Eircom League wouldn't get a shout in the UK PLis an argument against televising the FAI cup final

Well this says more about you than anything else. All this says is that you have bugger all interest in the sport of athletics (something I cant comprehend by the way. You'd never see an 11 handicapper not take an interest in the Open Championship, you'd never see a sunday league footballer not take an interest in professional football, you'd never see a club cyclist not take an interest in Le Tour, you'd never see a senior cup schools rugby player not take an interest in the Heineken Cup and so on an on, but thats a different discussion entirely).

I have run one marathon, this year. Yet I have been watching marathons for 13 years or so, and as a young kid could name significantly more than "3-4" marathon runners. I could well classify as somebody "on the street" as I wasnt involved in athletics at all back then. Plenty more like me.

By the way the average punter on the street knows full well who Usain Bolt is. The average man also would know Maurice Greene, Tyson Gay, Paula Radcliffe, Haile, etc etc. You really did pick a bad example there using Usain :rolleyes:

And to suggest that the quality of the field is irrelevant with regards the average punter tuning in is pure lunacy of the highest order. If he/she isnt tuning in to watch world class athletes then what are they tuning in for? To watch Johnny from Ennis run a 3:34 marathon?:rolleyes:

Right so you are saying that the 66th fastest runner this year is World Class. Ok going by that method lets look at other events in Track & Field.

100 metres Hurdles - Women

66th fastest in 2010 = Yawei Sun (China) - 13.13

NOT WORLD CLASS. Derval O'Rourke in tied 9th with 12.65 IS world class.

400m Men

66th fastest in 2010 = Nonggo Park (Korea) - 45.63

NOT WORLD CLASS. David Gillick in 8th place with 44.79 IS World Class.

100m Men

66th fastest in 2010 = Yi Lao (China) - 10.21. That is not world class. Christophe Lemaitre in 11th place with 9.97 would be world class.

Womens High Jump

66th best in 2010 = Yanjun Chen (China) - 1.88. This is NOT world class. In fact it is below Deirdre Ryan's 1.90, and nobody here would classify Deirdre as a world class athlete, no disrespect to her. Tia Hellebaut 1.97 in 10th place would be world class on the otherhand (though a fair bit off her best).

I could go on. The marathon is no different to other events in that the cream rises to the top. 66th place in a marathon is no more impressive than 66th in the Javalin except that 80% of posters here have a bias towards the marathon!
    Personally I would not have a bias to the marathon, but it is different in the sense you cannot compete week in week out like Blanka Vlasic..Hence number 66 in the world can be a serious player in the right race..10 quality guys ranked from 50 to 60 is a prospect in the right race.. The top guys are not idiots and will gravitate to the dosh but it does not diminish the thousands of big city marathons that provide real races and drama and tv coverage...The marathon is different, if you make a tactical pacing error and finish badly you cannot set the record straight the following week like Gillick or Hellebaut..

He has developed since then. When he ran dublin he was not world class. He has since developed into such an athlete and you will never see him back on these shores for a marathon again! How do people not understand such a simple concept!

It was 5 months later, you dont go form 2nd class to world class so quick. We had a quality runner winning Dublin but just because we didnt know him at the time we dont' respect his run. In any books 2:08/9 is great running

That says an awful lot. If you run marathons and can only name 3 or 4 marathoners total, then you must not watch many world marathons, despite london and the GNR being on bbc, Berlin and many of the American majors being on eurosport, and anything that isn't is always available online with commentary. If you don't care to watch Berlin/New York/ Boston/ Chicago, with all the premier league of marathoners, who will give a toss about dublin, besides the people already out on the road?

Not sure I agree. I watch football but don't play it. I used to box and watch it. I run but don't watch running. I think basing your assumptions of what people would watch based on a sample of 1 might be a mistake! Besides with training, 2 kids and a wife who likes soaps I'm lucky to see the TV let alone chose what to watch!

That said if the DCM was on I would probably watch it, if for no other reason than because I've run it.

It was 5 months later, you dont go form 2nd class to world class so quick. We had a quality runner winning Dublin but just because we didnt know him at the time we dont' respect his run. In any books 2:08/9 is great running

http://www.iaaf.org/athletes/biographies/country=ETH/athcode=240626/index.html

He is 20 years of age. He is only developing. Thats what happens at such an early point during your career, you knock huge chunks off your PB. In the space of 5 months during 1992 Sonia O'Sullivan knocked about 15-20 seconds off her 3000m time. She was only 22 at the time. It is very normal to see such improvements in such a short period of time when the athlete is only young and developing. I would have thought that to be obvious.

Well this says more about you than anything else. All this says is that you have bugger all interest in the sport of athletics (something I cant comprehend by the way. You'd never see an 11 handicapper not take an interest in the Open Championship, you'd never see a sunday league footballer not take an interest in professional football, you'd never see a club cyclist not take an interest in Le Tour, you'd never see a senior cup schools rugby player not take an interest in the Heineken Cup and so on an on, but thats a different discussion entirely).

I have run one marathon, this year. Yet I have been watching marathons for 13 years or so, and as a young kid could name significantly more than "3-4" marathon runners. I could well classify as somebody "on the street" as I wasnt involved in athletics at all back then. Plenty more like me.

By the way the average punter on the street knows full well who Usain Bolt is. The average man also would know Maurice Greene, Tyson Gay, Paula Radcliffe, Haile, etc etc. You really did pick a bad example there using Usain :rolleyes:

And to suggest that the quality of the field is irrelevant with regards the average punter tuning in is pure lunacy of the highest order. If he/she isnt tuning in to watch world class athletes then what are they tuning in for? To watch Johnny from Ennis run a 3:34 marathon?:rolleyes:

I've never heard of Maurice Greene either. I think Gay is a sprinter and the other two are the marathon WR holders (one of whom I've met, incidentally ;))

Most people have no clue as to how long a marathon is, let alone what is a good or bad time. But an exciting race everyone understands be it in 2:05 or 2:15 a close finish is exciting. Look at the Galway Races, apparently the standard of horse there is woeful but it still has punters flocking in

• Advertisement

He is 20 years of age. He is only developing. Thats what happens at such an early point during your career, you knock huge chunks off your PB. In the space of 5 months during 1992 Sonia O'Sullivan knocked about 15-20 seconds off her 3000m time. She was only 22 at the time. It is very normal to see such improvements in such a short period of time when the athlete is only young and developing. I would have thought that to be obvious.
    He was pure quality when he ran Dublin, gave him status, and a springboard and I am sure he will never forget it as such.. By the way he also ran a world class race in Dubai last January also..Is it not fantastic that Dublin can be a breakthrough for some of these young runners from Africa..
    Magnificent viewing in a real race without pacemakers....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I think everybody is getting away from the argument here.
    The question was 'Should the DCM be shown live on tv?'
    It's the national marathon and as people said almost every other country broadcast their national marathon live. Who cares whether anyone tunes in or not. It should be available to watch for anyone who wants to get up and watch it live on tv. Does anybody watch the tripe that RTE normally broadcast between 9am-12pm on the October bank holiday?

yaboya1 wrote: »
    I think everybody is getting away from the argument here.
    The question was 'Should the DCM be shown live on tv?'
    It's the national marathon and as people said almost every other country broadcast their national marathon live. Who cares whether anyone tunes in or not. It should be available to watch for anyone who wants to get up and watch it live on tv. Does anybody watch the tripe that RTE normally broadcast between 9am-12pm on the October bank holiday?
    Well said - unadulterated tripe.....

We basically making the same point,

But if he wasnt a quality act when he ran Dublin he would not have progressed. The guy was quality then and quality now.

We basically making the same point,

But if he wasnt a quality act when he ran Dublin he would not have progressed. The guy was quality then and quality now.

Correction he was quality then and better now. He is now long passed the stage of his career where he will run marathons in Dublin. Of course he had potential then but was only developing, which basically proves the point many are making that Dublin is basically a race for up and coming athletes who have the POTENTIAL to BECOME world class, but who are not at that level yet. You cant go back and retrospectively classify the 2009 Dublin Marathon to be won by a World Class athlete as he wasnt at that level at the time.

Was Sonia O'Sullivan a world class athlete in 1991 when she won NCAA and World Universities? No. Was she getting invites to big races no. Was she a world class athlete in 1992? Yes. Did she get invites to big meets? You bet.

Its the exact same.

I've never heard of Maurice Greene either. I think Gay is a sprinter and the other two are the marathon WR holders (one of whom I've met, incidentally ;))
    Most people have no clue as to how long a marathon is, let alone what is a good or bad time. But an exciting race everyone understands be it in 2:05 or 2:15 a close finish is exciting. Look at the Galway Races, apparently the standard of horse there is woeful but it still has punters flocking in

Again, all that proves is that YOU have no interest. Very few of my friends have more than a passing interest in Athletics, and are all into their Football, GAA, Rugby, yet they virtually all know who Haile, Tyson Gay, Paula Radcliffe, Hicham El Guerrouj, Carl Lewis, Maurice Greene, Jonathan Edwards, Colin Jackson etc are. Anybody with even a passing interest in sport in general knows who Usain Bolt is. To think otherwise would be mad. He's one of the worlds most instantly recognisable sports people, along with Tiger and Roger. Most of my friends would barely watch the sport yet when its on TV for a big outdoor championship they would be watching (I got an insane amount of texts off my mates after Derval won silver). Just because you dont recognise or have any sort of interest doesnt mean others in the general public wouldnt know who these Olympic and World Champions are!

And with regards your point about a exciting race being what the public are after, I'm pretty sure the general public would be more interested in Paula Radcliffe demolishing the field over 10000m at the 2002 Europeans (beating Sonia in 2nd by 45 seconds) running 30:01 than a nailbitter at Santry between Mark Christie and Mark Kenneally over 5000m!

And with regards your point about a exciting race being what the public are after, I'm pretty sure the general public would be more interested in Paula Radcliffe demolishing the field over 10000m at the 2002 Europeans (beating Sonia in 2nd by 45 seconds) running 30:01 than a nailbitter at Santry between Mark Christie and Mark Kenneally over 5000m!

I don't think the general public are bothered about either tbh. But if you were to get up with a hangover and tune in on a Bank Holiday Monday mid morning an exciting finish (no matter what the speed) is good to watch. After all to everyone but the experienced there is no technical difference in a top runner doing 2:05 or 2:15, it's not like soccer or whatever where even an idiot can see the difference in talent between the top teams and the triers.

Anyway as I said virtually every other country televises it's national marathon why shouldn't we? If it's worth the cost to Setanta to cover it for highlights then it's got to be worth it for RTE to cover it live.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I don't think the general public are bothered about either tbh. But if you were to get up with a hangover and tune in on a Bank Holiday Monday mid morning an exciting finish (no matter what the speed) is good to watch. After all to everyone but the experienced there is no technical difference in a top runner doing 2:05 or 2:15, it's not like soccer or whatever where even an idiot can see the difference in talent between the top teams and the triers.

Anyway as I said virtually every other country televises it's national marathon why shouldn't we? If it's worth the cost to Setanta to cover it for highlights then it's got to be worth it for RTE to cover it live.

...and then in their hungover stupor they suddenly remember that their buddy --amadeus-- had said something about running a long way when chatting during coffee break in work the week before, so they leave it on after the skinny Kenyan has finished to see if they can spot him.

So why the huge viewing figures every 4 years for the athletics at the Olympic Games then if the general public are not bothered. Why the public obsession with Sonia O'Sullivan in the 90's (when RTE showed Golden League by the way) if nobody gave a toss. Why the amount of general sports fans who develop an interest every year when the big championship comes around? Why the huge interest in Usain Bolt last year from people who usually just watch football? No offence but your lack of knowledge of elite athletics puts you in no real position to analyse how intersted the Irish Public are in such a thing. It would be like me stating that Irish Women dont like Gucci perfume. I don't give a toss therefore I would have no idea.

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    ...and then in their hungover stupor they suddenly remember that their buddy --amadeus-- had said something about running a long way when chatting during coffee break in work the week before, so they leave it on after the skinny Kenyan has finished to see if they can spot him.

I really hope the motivation behind getting the DCM live on TV is not so one can see him/herself on the tele. That would be pretty sad in my opinion.

Advertisement