Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ear pinning!!

Options
  • 15-10-2010 2:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

well found out my pup has a infected ear and was told by a vet ( wont mention his name that if his ears were pinned the infection could be removed without the lose of an ear )

well iv always kept dogs and seen alot of breeds with this done and it doesnt seem to bother them.. is the procedure dangerous to my dog ( considering his dilema ) or just plain out cruel..

were could i get this done if i was to proceed with it as my vet said he couldn do it????

its either this and keep his 2 ears or loose the ear and hearing in 1..

any help appreciated!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

davemc180 wrote: »
    well found out my pup has a infected ear and was told by a vet ( wont mention his name that if his ears were pinned the infection could be removed without the lose of an ear )

well iv always kept dogs and seen alot of breeds with this done and it doesnt seem to bother them.. is the procedure dangerous to my dog ( considering his dilema ) or just plain out cruel..

were could i get this done if i was to proceed with it as my vet said he couldn do it????

its either this and keep his 2 ears or loose the ear and hearing in 1..

any help appreciated!!

I actually thought it was illegal in this country, so that vet should be struck off. Unbelievable advice. I don't understand why he needs to lose an ear? I also don't understand how having his ears standing upright means that an infection can be sorted? I'm sorry, but it doesn't make sense. Is the infection inside the ear or on the bit that we see on the outside? I have a dog with perfect hearing and only one ear - obviously he has two ears, its just the outside bit that is missing, that has absolutely no bearing on whether a dog can hear or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I have to say I'm a little confused, like ISDW said, an ear infection is inside the ear canal so removing the outer ear flap would seem to make no sense.

I think I'd get a second vet opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Would you think about going to another vet or two, getting some more opinions? Sounds a bit drastic and as OP said, thought it was an illegal practice?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

I would go to another vet for a second opinion. A friend of mine has a dog that had an aural operation due to constant ear infections after a long process of elimination of other options before the operation. Operations would not be my first port of call but dont rule anything out. Generally its the drop ear variety that have problems with ears due to lack of air circulating. (btw dog did not loose a ear but has a drain a small price to pay for the comfort of the dog)

We have and cockers, springers and always shaved the inside hair of ear flap and kept ears cleaned and had not had ear infections.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

OP, if this is really the true story then seek anothers vets advice about the ear infection. Most dogs will have one at one stage in their lives, not a big deal, certainly not worth having surgery over unless it becomes a persistent and uncurable problem.

Your dog is a staffy so not like it has ears like a cocker or springer that hang down and are very hairy.

Are you sure you don't just like the cropped look and want to find out where to get it done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

Dont get there ears pinned !!!!Ive NEVER EVER heard of any vet EVER suggesting such a thing.I have a dog who suffers with her ears ALOT,I keep them clean pluck the hair out and keep the hair short.I put Oridermyl into them and within a few days they are fine for another while.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

What breed of dog are you talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭pitbull_fanatic

ear pinning is not illegal its just frowned upon. jus like docking tails. its not cruel. they go through more pain gettin spayed/neutered. it does help with their ears. staffies are prone to ear infections. i have one and she always gets them and a vet told me if they got clipped it would allow more air into their ears so that it is less of a breeding ground for bacteria. i opted not to do it because she holds her ears back herself alot anyway unless she was alert of watching something she has them up so if i got them clipped wouldnt make a difference. very few vets will do this now so you will have a hard time finding one.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭davemc180

ear pinning is not illegal its just frowned upon. jus like docking tails. its not cruel. they go through more pain gettin spayed/neutered. it does help with their ears. staffies are prone to ear infections. i have one and she always gets them and a vet told me if they got clipped it would allow more air into their ears so that it is less of a breeding ground for bacteria. i opted not to do it because she holds her ears back herself alot anyway unless she was alert of watching something she has them up so if i got them clipped wouldnt make a difference. very few vets will do this now so you will have a hard time finding one.

thank you. iv brought him to another vet and he said with constant shaving and ear drops the infection may clear up.. but he also said he could see the point the 1st vet made.. because his ears are floppy theyre very prone to infection and as my dog has scab like cuts developing on the ear clipping could eliminate spreading and further infection and would most likely benefit the dog..

and as pitbull_fanatic already said i dont see how getting his ears clipped to help him would be half as bad as castrateing the dog!!

which would cause you more pain??

and for 1 of the above posters the breed is a staff and befor ya start saying i want this done because its ( cool looking ) cop on..

iv always kept pitbulls , staffs and bull terriers and this is the 1st time this situation has even occured!!

my dogs are treated like kids

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

There is a world of difference between a medical procedure that benefits a dogs health to one that may not. Docking & Ear Pinning/Clipping are frowned on because they are unnecessary. Veterinary knowledge & opinion can vary a great deal. If the dog is prone to ear infections I would want to know the reason why before considering a surgical procedure.

I can appreciate the need for surgery if for example an ear canal is blocked but an earflap hardly makes an airtight seal. Surgery might reduce the effect of an infection but I would want to stop the infection from coming back. I would also want to be sure that the dogs immune system is OK. Has the dog been on a course of oral antibiotics ?

Was the second Vet at the same practice ?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Is ear pinning the same as ear cropping?? If so its absolutely illegal in this country:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

hand plucking inner hair of the ear canal will greatly improve air circulation and reduce the chance of ear infections and keeping the inner ear clean .it sounds abit drastic two pin the ears did you mean pin the ears back or taking some ear off im a bit confused

andreac wrote: »
    Is ear pinning the same as ear cropping?? If so its absolutely illegal in this country:mad:

Not if it is carried out for medical reasons as defined by a Vet. But the Vet would only be allowed ethically to pin/crop the affected ear so the dog will look a little odd. It would be classed as a part amputation rather than a crop. Cosmetic cropping is classed as mutilation. The Veterinary guide is here:

http://www.veterinaryireland.ie/Links/PDFs/Mutilations%20-%20Policy%20-%20Revised%2028.5.09.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Oh dear doG, more pain when spayed/neutered? Based on what exactly?

I can't believe I am reading this here!!

APBT used to have cropped ears (still have in the US etc) - it is absolutely horrific and is in fact the maiming of an animal.

And someone actually commended this post - unreal!

EGAR wrote: »
    Oh dear doG, more pain when spayed/neutered? Based on what exactly?

I can't believe I am reading this here!!

APBT used to have cropped ears (still have in the US etc) - it is absolutely horrific and is in fact the maiming of an animal.

And someone actually commended this post - unreal!

listen to you. jus coz ya sign in as EGAR n rescue dogs doesnt mean you know it all. all posts you right you act as if you wrote the "book of rules".
    can you honestly tell me that a dog at 6 weeks feels more pain getting ears cut than when he would be 6 months and getting his balls cut off. no he wouldnt. ear cropping is alot less painfull if done right. stop trying to fool yourself because all your dogs get spayed and you dont want to think they are in pain. they just wont complain. i know why they get spayed and its a valid point why they get spayed but dont tell me it doesnt hurt them. if i got casturated myself in hospital i know i would be in agony. i know some scumbags jus cut dogs ears off with scissors n detol. but in a sterile environment with anasthetic...no prob. u put people down every time someone expresses their view so chill out and let people have their opinion without being attacked. and i'm not jus on bout this site.

listen to you. jus coz ya sign in as EGAR n rescue dogs doesnt mean you know it all. all posts you right you act as if you wrote the "book of rules".
    can you honestly tell me that a dog at 6 weeks feels more pain getting ears cut than when he would be 6 months and getting his balls cut off. no he wouldnt. ear cropping is alot less painfull if done right. stop trying to fool yourself because all your dogs get spayed and you dont want to think they are in pain. they just wont complain. i know why they get spayed and its a valid point why they get spayed but dont tell me it doesnt hurt them. if i got casturated myself in hospital i know i would be in agony. i know some scumbags jus cut dogs ears off with scissors n detol. but in a sterile environment with anasthetic...no prob. u put people down every time someone expresses their view so chill out and let people have their opinion without being attacked. and i'm not jus on bout this site.

Hold on, if peoples opinions are about an illegal act then yes, of course people are allowed to complain about it.
    You cannot even compare the 2 at all. Theres a huge difference between neutering and cropping.
    For starters cropping is illegal in this country.

Spaying and neutering is done to benefit the dog for health reasons, cropping is not done for any health reason at all.

You absol cannot compare cropping and neutering. One is an illegal act banned in this country so anyone advising such an act is advising breaking the law, end of.

its not banned.

its not banned.

YES IT IS. Ear Cropping is banned in this country, jesus, you havent a clue!!!:mad:

i havent a clue. ok. well scroll down the page in the link there and tell me what it says next to republic of ireland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Docking_(dog)

ears is banned in northern ireland but tails arnt. cool?

• Advertisement

i havent a clue. ok. well scroll down the page in the link there and tell me what it says next to republic of ireland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Docking_(dog)

I wouldnt take anything that site says as gospel, the crap it comes up with is unreal.

jus like this site so is it?? more truth in that than on a site where hundreds of people give their own opinions. but no matter who says it its wrong unless twas one of yer crew huh. jus accept it like. its not banned here. its frowned upon. it will be banned but its not banned yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

i could be wrong but according to this its legal.

unethical but legal.

http://www.veterinaryireland.ie/Links/PDFs/Mutilations%20-%20Policy%20-%20Revised%2028.5.09.pdf

yet i found a thread here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055325063

wheremods said it was illegall... (well on boards anyway)

or is that just Dobies.

no its just boards. dont get me wrong i dont like the idea of ear cropping. i'm jus saying its not illeagle.

i had a boxer... we rescued 7 of em...... some with tails.

the one we kept had a HUGE tail:) ... ibelieve some of the other tails were docked using a chisel/hammer:mad::mad::mad::mad:

fookin bastards.... if i ever...*snip*..

you get the picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

jus like this site so is it?? more truth in that than on a site where hundreds of people give their own opinions. but no matter who says it its wrong unless twas one of yer crew huh. jus accept it like. its not banned here. its frowned upon. it will be banned but its not banned yet.

Sorry, are we talking about boards now or wikipaedia?:p I could put something up on Wikipaedia, saying that all dogs have to have their ears cropped in Ireland, doesn't make it the truth.

I do take your point about the pain of being speyed/neutered. However, I have 2 males and 1 female here that all had the ops this week, the day of the surgery they were all a bit sleepy when they came home, but after a good night's sleep, they are fine, the problem is trying to keep them calm and stop them running around playing. So to me, they aren't in pain.

This is Vincent (I think you can guess why he is called that:rolleyes:) His mum came out of the pound, so underweight that we didn't realise she was in pup until it was too late to do anything about it, so she had the litter, by caesarian as she couldn't have whelped naturally. Only 3 of the 11 pups made it to 8 weeks. So if she had been speyed, a lot less pain all around. Vinny doesn't know he only has one ear, he actually is the happiest dog I've ever had, he never walks anywhere, he bounces. So if a dog has to have an ear flap taken off for a medical reason, it really isn't the end of the world. In fact, everyone always wants to stop and pet Vince, he's a bit of a superstar because they feel sorry for him.

AE80CDEE09124976B6C4525997E410E8-800.jpg

Oh yeah, and he can fly:D

its not banned.

But in effect it is because any Vet who carried it out would be open to an accusation of mutilation. Lots of medical practices are not illegal but medical & veterinary practitioners won't carry them out.

A Vet could be struck off unless he could prove that there was a medical reason. You might be able to argue this for one ear but not two.

Under Irish Law only a Vet can carry out a surgical procedure there is no need to make a specific law banning cropping.

Btw EGAR knows more about PB's than you could ever imagine.

ISDW wrote: »
    Sorry, are we talking about boards now or wikipaedia?:p I could put something up on Wikipaedia, saying that all dogs have to have their ears cropped in Ireland, doesn't make it the truth.

I do take your point about the pain of being speyed/neutered. However, I have 2 males and 1 female here that all had the ops this week, the day of the surgery they were all a bit sleepy when they came home, but after a good night's sleep, they are fine, the problem is trying to keep them calm and stop them running around playing. So to me, they aren't in pain.

This is Vincent (I think you can guess why he is called that:rolleyes:) His mum came out of the pound, so underweight that we didn't realise she was in pup until it was too late to do anything about it, so she had the litter, by caesarian as she couldn't have whelped naturally. Only 3 of the 11 pups made it to 8 weeks. So if she had been speyed, a lot less pain all around. Vinny doesn't know he only has one ear, he actually is the happiest dog I've ever had, he never walks anywhere, he bounces. So if a dog has to have an ear flap taken off for a medical reason, it really isn't the end of the world. In fact, everyone always wants to stop and pet Vince, he's a bit of a superstar because they feel sorry for him.

AE80CDEE09124976B6C4525997E410E8-800.jpg

Oh yeah, and he can fly:D

two beauties;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I rest my case :D. It must be a very lonely place ;).

Advertisement