Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The Origin of Specious Nonsense"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

stevejazzx wrote: »
    Anyone got Ennio Morricones (agents) email address? There's no way this f**cker has paid a royalty/gotten permission to use that music on his (appaling) site.

Can you name the piece?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Zillah wrote: »
    Can you name the piece?

Think it's Deboarhs song from Once Upon time in america ....checking youtube now...

Think it's Deboarhs song from Once Upon time in america ....checking youtube now...

Edit

deboarhs theme...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Maybe this could do it: https://www.riaa.com/reportpiracy.php
    About time those plonkers did something more useful than sueing teenagers and dead people.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

Not as articulate and well argued as some other emails, but better than nothing.
    My email:
    Dear Mr. Lenihan,

I do normally not write to elected officials, however I am writing to you today in regards to something which has angered me enough to overcome my inertia.

I am appalled to read that you will be lending the gravitas of your office (Minister for Science, Technology, Innovation and Natural Resources) to the launch of the book "The Origin of Specious Nonsense".

The theory of evolution is one of the strongest theories in science as it has gone through over a century of grilling peer review and attempts to disprove it. "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence", something Mr May has failed to produce. Instead he recycles anti-scientific talking points (for a small sample see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mYt974wGqo&feature=player_embedded) that have been thoroughly debunked by prominent scientists with a lifetime of achievements and dedication to excellence. Why should someone with no scientific credibility and an extremely poor understanding of the subject he writes about (for example Mr. May seems to be unable to distinguish between the theory of evolution and abiogenesis) be given the validity by association?

I am very disappointed that you would lend legitimacy to this antithesis of the office which you represent. I hope you will reconsider your decision and vet your appointments better in the future.

Yours sincerely,

• Advertisement

I have some people on it. I stopped short of setting 4chan on him, I don't think we need resort to that yet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Christ almighty, folks. I leave the country for a few days and this is what you let our elected representatives get up to while I'm away.

Can't believe you've let the side slip like this.

Shockin'.

... I stopped short of setting 4chan on him, I don't think we need resort to that yet.
    Aw, but it would have been fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I have some people on it. I stopped short of setting 4chan on him, I don't think we need resort to that yet.

It's on the Dawkins site now, if /b/ feel like it they could well bring the government down before the end of the week. :pac:

mikhail wrote: »
    Aw, but it would have been fun.

*steeples fingers*

All in good time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Just sent the following to the Times:
    Madam,

As Minister for Foreign Affairs, Conor Lenihan once referred to a group of Turkish workers as "kebabs." Now as Minister for Science he is launching an anti-science book. If he has no sense of irony, he should at least have a sense of professionalism and resign.

Yours etc.,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

I am flaming angry, i could scream. what a plonker.
    My email
    I was dismayed to discover that you will be attending a book launch of "The Origin of Specious Nonsense" by author John J. May. This book is a self-published attack one the most well supported theories in the entire field of biology and underpins everything we know about the nature of life. It is so well supported by evidence in the fossil record and DNA that it is considered a fact as much as gravity is considered fact.

For whatever reasons the author has to try to discredit the Theory of Evolution, the involvement of any government minister in the launch of a book like this is embarrassing to the Irish public; for the Minister of State at the Departments of Enterprise, Trade and Employment, Education and Science, and Communications, Energy and Natural Resources, with special responsibility for Science, Technology, Innovation and Natural Resources to be involved in the launch of a book of such an unscientific, anti-science, anti-evolution content is more then embarrassing; it is insulting to the well educated Irish people.

Your presence at the launch of this book discredits your office, discredits this government and discredits the people of this country who elected you. Your presence, as Minister of State at the Departments of Enterprise, Trade and Employment, Education and Science, and Communications, Energy and Natural Resources, with special responsibility for Science, Technology, Innovation and Natural Resources, gives a credibility to this work that it does not appear to deserve. The author should have the published any proof he has in scientific journals for peer review, after which he may have something to say that deserves the presence of a public representative whose wages are paid from our taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭PostHack

Anyone got Ennio Morricones (agents) email address? There's no way this f**cker has paid a royalty/gotten permission to use that music on his (appaling) site.

Not to mention the King Kong poster he's using for a background...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

pts wrote: »
    Not as articulate and well argued as some other emails, but better than nothing.
    My email:

The youtube video you linked should have been a rick roll.

Harsh but fair.

Haha, oh fuck. Has anyone looked at his biography?
    I am like Abraham Lincoln, self educated, and might be viewed as a polymath, left school young and commenced my real education.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

The youtube video you linked should have been a rick roll.

Harsh but fair.

ha ha, that would have been priceless! Why didn't I think of that :D

Just sent the following to the Times:
    Madam,

As Minister for Foreign Affairs, Conor Lenihan once referred to a group of Turkish workers as "kebabs." Now as Minister for Science he is launching an anti-science book. If he has no sense of irony, he should at least have a sense of professionalism and resign.

Yours etc.,
    How you wasted the opportunity to use a "skewered" pun is beyond me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conor_Lenihan

The Origin of Specious Nonsense
    In September 2010, Lenihan attracted controversy when it emerged that he was to attend the launch of The Origin of Specious Nonsense, an anti-evolution book by John J. May. PZ Myers, on his Pharyngula blog, called May a "barmy, ignorant crank" and expressed shock that a Minister of State with special responsibility for Science would lend support to such a book.[9] Lenihan claimed that he was "not launching the book as Minister for Science but rather as a TDbecause Mr May is a constituent of his." Michael Nugent, chairperson of Atheist Ireland, said that the Minister of State's appearance at the launch was "an abuse of his position and an attack by the Government on both scientists and science education."[10]

He's a constituent...I have to do it...what rubbish.

Actually, on reflection, it is a very apt name he chose for his book...

Last November, Lenihan believed we're all "Ambassadors of Science":
    The relevance and value of science must be continually communicated to the general public, and how it is articulated is vital in defining how science is perceived. The task of communicating the message that ‘science matters’, that ‘science delivers’ and, above all, that investment in science in Ireland is value for money and an integral part of our economic development must be addressed by all across the scientific community.
    Did he bang his head during the summer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Dougla2

contact conor lenihan about this he is attending and supporting the launch party,

http://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/comments/dda0x/redditors_please_help_irish_author_publishing/

http://www.fiannafail.ie/people/contact/conor-lenihan/

<< snip >>

if this was already posted sorry i didnt check

anybody organizing a protest??

icon4.gif
    MOD NOTE
    Home address & number snipped.
    This is sufficient access for contact:

http://www.deti.ie/corporate/ministersoffice/lenihan.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Been picked up by the Irish Times.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0913/breaking61.html

We'll probably see him slink away from this now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Definitely no chance the book is a pisstake?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

no the only difference between the two images is the 10,000 euros bit, maybe that was your cache refresh, axer you didn't alter anything else apart from the red mark, did you? obviously he's been asked to remove those bits to try and keep up the pretense that he wasn't asked to speak because he's the minister for science, thats he's just a friend.
    Nope, I didnt do anything but add the red.

Here is the original image pulled from cache.
    127504.jpg

amacachi wrote: »
    Definitely no chance the book is a pisstake?

I think the odds are 1/1 each way...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

This is an absolute disgrace. Just when you think things might be looking up in Ireland.

Kevin Myers ignorant waffle now this.

I bet the minister won't miss the after party in lillies!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Ush1 wrote: »
    This is an absolute disgrace. Just when you think things might be looking up in Ireland.

Kevin Myers ignorant waffle now this.

I bet the minister won't miss the after party in lillies!:pac:

Pardon my ignorance but what did Mr Myers say now?

Malty_T wrote: »
    I'd also like to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Malty_T wrote: »

Just talking about that article in the Indo from last year.

http://groups.google.com/group/talk.origins/browse_thread/thread/dae8b3bdd1c99361

• Advertisement

Wicknight wrote: »
    I've watched the Youtube videos. His argument against us descending from apes is "Have you ever tried living in a tree?" and his argument against us descending from the ocenas is "Sit in a bath for a few hours"
    Here's Mr May explaining some of his views:
    Mr May wrote:
    They also say <krrgggh, krrggghhh> we came out of the sea. Eh? Came out of the sea? If you lie in your bath for nine hours, your skin is so wrinkled you're it's it's it's not hardly recognizable. Yet a baby can be in a womb nine months in liquid without drowning and when it's born it's not particularly wrinkled.
    Therefore god exists.

More from this wonderfully original thinker here:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement