Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TII Motorway Service Areas (MSA) Progress Thread

Options

Comments

i would prefer a Us style system with better sign posting. Uk is in Europe by the way.

I know, just that some try to separate it away! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

I know, just that some try to separate it away! ;)

they can try but geography dosnt lie:).

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

Folks,

I had a chance to take some shots of the M4 MSAs today, both on and off the motorway. It appears that the M4 areas are a bit behind their M1 cousins.

1. The westbound MSA, taken from the M4 mainline.
    IMG_5047.JPG

2. Another one of the westbound MSA.
    IMG_5048.JPG

3. Eastbound MSA, taken from the M4 mainline westbound.
    IMG_5049.JPG

4. Eastbound MSA, taken from a nearby bridge over the M4.
    IMG_5063.JPG

5. Eastbound diverge and westbound merge (looking east).
    IMG_5064.JPG

6. Detail of the pump area, eastbound MSA.
    IMG_5067.JPG

7. Car park of the eastbound area.
    IMG_5070.JPG

8. A final overall site view of the eastbound MSA.
    IMG_5072.JPG

/csd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Those photos are brilliant. When is this MSA due to be completed?

tech2 wrote: »
    Those photos are brilliant. When is this MSA due to be completed?

Thanks!

The three MSAs (two M1 and M4) are all supposed to be finished in October, but it looks like the M1 ones might come in a little earlier.

/csd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

csd wrote: »
    Thanks!

The three MSAs (two M1 and M4) are all supposed to be finished in October, but it looks like the M1 ones might come in a little earlier.

/csd
    There is a staggered opening with the M1 (@ Ballough) opening a few weeks before the others.

A northbound sign at Ballough.

k2i9ah.jpg

A southbound sign at Ballough.

2cdaloz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

csd wrote: »
    Thanks!

/csd
    Bluetonic wrote: »
    There is a staggered opening with the M1 (@ Ballough) opening a few weeks before the others.

Yeah the M1 sites started a little earlier than the M4 so that probably accounts for the time difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Was watching 'Police, Camera, Action' on ITV earlier and the episode was called 'when lorries become lethal' (i.e. - lorry drivers falling asleep at the wheel). Apparently, 20% of lorry drivers questioned admitted falling asleep at the wheel.

Was really shocking viewing and it further highlights the urgent need for MSAs that will reduce the risk of all drivers (not just lorry driver) falling asleep behind the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

A northbound sign at Ballough.

k2i9ah.jpg

A southbound sign at Ballough.

2cdaloz.jpg

Begod, the country's first motorway services signs!

They should have a wheelchair symbol if the facilities (incl. toilets) are accessible.

Also distance to next services (maybe not so relevant on the M4!) should be underneath, like this:

Germany-Motorway-Services-Sign.aspx

• Advertisement

There also other signs up around 1km from the turn off which will have the petrol and diesel prices on them similar to forecourt signs.

All in all I think it's three side of the road signs before at 1,500m 1,000m and 500m and the one overhead at the turn off.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I notice there still hasn't been a bit of work on the private M8 services at Cashel since the road laying was done...

A few more recent photo's here.

There also other signs up around 1km from the turn off which will have the petrol and diesel prices on them similar to forecourt signs.

All in all I think it's three side of the road signs before at 1,500m 1,000m and 500m and the one overhead at the turn off.

Was it just me or was there 2 holes in the new signs already? Saw them going SB on Friday am and all looked fine but coming NB past the Lusk site I thought the 2 lED fuel price signs looked like they had 2 hols in them from either stones or possibly bullets. I only saw it at the last minute so can't be 100% sure. Anyone else notice this Friday pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

3 big signs up for the M4 service area this morning on the westbound carraigeway. They were working on the eastbound carraigeway when I passed.

No great advance notice though, I'd say all 3 were within 500 metres of the entrance. Most of them weren't grayed out either. 4x4 in front of me drove in, not sure if he was working there or thought it was open!

cargo wrote: »
    Was it just me or was there 2 holes in the new signs already? Saw them going SB on Friday am and all looked fine but coming NB past the Lusk site I thought the 2 lED fuel price signs looked like they had 2 hols in them from either stones or possibly bullets. I only saw it at the last minute so can't be 100% sure. Anyone else notice this Friday pm?

Have had a chance to look at them again a few times since and I'd say it was only a concentraion of condensation around a particular spot in the middle of both signs. There's still a small spot on them as they probably "acclimatise " to life on the side of the M1.

M1 North sigs now up as well and loasd of landscaping, car park marking going on at the sites. Must be an opening coming up soon. Anyone hear a date?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭skinnyboy

Hello lads i work for applegreen,the first motorway site is opening the 6th of september which is lusk,last one opening up will be enfield in october.finishing touches are happening in lusk at the moment,there goin to be fantastic sites.

Folks,

As noted above, signage has been erected on the M4 westbound -- see pics below (including the electronic price signage).

IMG_5416.JPG

IMG_5420.JPG

There's a tree planted right in front of this one:
    IMG_5424.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Anyone know where the service areas on the M9 will be and who has the contracts for them??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Anyone know where the service areas on the M9 will be and who has the contracts for them??

Nowhere and nobody.

There are no contracts issued for any further service areas at the moment. One will be issued for the M11 at Gorey to the concessionaire for the Arklow-Rathnew & Newlands Cross scheme and one is planned to be included in the M20 PPP if that even goes ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

There will be a service area on the M9 near Kilcullen but it won't be built any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

MYOB wrote: »
    Nowhere and nobody.

There are no contracts issued for any further service areas at the moment. One will be issued for the M11 at Gorey to the concessionaire for the Arklow-Rathnew & Newlands Cross scheme and one is planned to be included in the M20 PPP if that even goes ahead.
    Furet wrote: »
    There will be a service area on the M9 near Kilcullen but it won't be built any time soon.

Thanks.

Disgraceful really - Naas to Waterford without a service area near the motorway . . .

Thanks.

Disgraceful really - Naas to Waterford without a service area near the motorway . . .

Crookstown and Castledermot are not far from an exit if you needed fuel or a pit(ss) stop!! Or come off at Crookstown and travel downthrough Kilcullen to avoid having to double-back. You wont starve dont worry.

Don't know about the MSA at Kilcullen but I know the NRA were looking to take land south of Powerstown (end of current motorway) for a MSA but all the builds have been put on-hold for now so I'm not sure if they followed through and aquired the land.

Kilcullen Service Area Main Report: http://www.nra.ie/Publications/EISPublications/file,15905,en.pdf

See here for further documentation (scroll down): http://www.nra.ie/Publications/EISPublications/

DSCF3435.jpg

This appeared in today's paper and is welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Very welcome, if it gets anywhere. Very VERY welcome.

We can get away with one MSA about halfway along each route for the time being, then build more later.

Bye bye Mother Hubbards there if that gets built, methinks. But it is needed.

MYOB wrote: »
    Bye bye Mother Hubbards there if that gets built, methinks. But it is needed.

The one near Enfield may be OK as many trucks already toll dodge.

I don't know the M8 but is the service station on the tolled section

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

Kilcullen Service Area Main Report: http://www.nra.ie/Publications/EISPublications/file,15905,en.pdf

See here for further documentation (scroll down): http://www.nra.ie/Publications/EISPublications/

How about the time frame? When the Cashel MSA is going to be build? What is the next step? Is location approved on 100% ?
    How about the other MSA? (like Kilcullen)

I looked at the drawings. I have to say I like design of the Irish MSA. They look quite spacious and are logically planned. Hope they will build them soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭pat13wx

DSCF3435.jpg

This appeared in today's paper and is welcome.

Very welcome, indeed. Thanks Furet for posting the above.

Looking at the map I see that as the crow flies it is only about a mile from our house.

@dolanbaker...This is an untolled section of the M8.

Advertisement