Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many types of medication are you on?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

bleg wrote: »
    They're medically distinct terms.

Read the wiki article you posted. It is not accepted that you(or any human) can build resistance to antibiotics.

/removes white coat
    Not when I said them.

And no I'm not about to base my medical education off of wiki.
    ORLY? wrote: »
    And?

and...........that's why I don't take them needlessly and neither should anyone else.
    It's frankly disgusting how much meds everyone here is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭WanderingSoul

--LOS-- wrote: »

So it's disgusting when people are to take necessary (if they'd like to function at all) long term meds that have been prescribed by a hospital? Thanks for the enlightenment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

/removes white coat
    Not when I said them.

Meh, it's a good website for general information.

Many people need to be on meds. It's not your place to tell them if this is disgusting or not. This is a matter for the individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I think it's pretty easy to say, "Oh, medication is so bad" blah blah blah when you don't actually need to take any. This thread isn't an argument about the pros and cons of medication, it was a simple question - "How many types of medication are you on?". If you're on none, wonderful, fair play to you.

Personally, I'm prescribed three different kinds atm, and I do feel better than when I was on none so whether others think it's unnecessary or 'disgusting' isn't exactly a concern of mine.

McConkey wrote: »
    As I mentioned above, bacteria CAN develop antibiotic resistance, NOT humans.

The result is the same.

Can read without caps ftr.
    So it's disgusting when people are to take necessary (if they'd like to function at all) long term meds that have been prescribed by a hospital? Thanks for the enlightenment.

Not what I said at all!

I said needlessly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭McConkey

I don't think you should judge what anyone else is taking.

Good for you if you don't need to take medications, I am also fortunate in this regard but some people need medicines to enjoy a quality of life similar to yours-would you deny them this?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

No obviously not. But people take things for any aul ****e really, that they don't need. A pressing concern in the health world is resistance to antibiotics and people die/will die simply due to overuse of antibiotics. The more they're used to fight infection, the more resistant the infection becomes. Of course in the right cases they should be used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭ORLY?

/removes white coat
    Not when I said them.

Yet you were willing to use it to try and make your own point.

Look, you claimed that people become resistant to antibiotics by taking them too often then that simply isn't what happens. People do not become immune/resistant to antibiotic treatment. You were wrong and have just tried to hide it and evade that fact claiming other posters are in the wrong. They're not.
    and...........that's why I don't take them needlessly and neither should anyone else.

Of course, people should never be on medication they don't need. But are you trained to be judging who here should be on which medications? What makes you so certain that those listing their meds don't need them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

Let's not be judgmental about matters we are not qualified to comment on. If you're on medication because it has been prescribed by a qualified doctor for your medical condition, it is likely that it could be irresponsible not to take them. Finishing a course of antibiotics is important, even if symptoms have gone. Taking medication for depression is important, I'm sure we all know of consequences for people who stopped taking this medication without medical advice.

OP, if you're taking terbinafine I'm sure your doc advised you to get regular liver function tests? Pay attention to those if he did. If he didn't, then don't take my word for it, check with your doc to see if they're necessary.

I fear this thread might become unhealthy (no pun intended) if people make comments on the meds taken by others.

Be at peace,

Z

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭WanderingSoul

Not what I said at all!

I said needlessly!

The word needlessly wasn't there so I thought you meant it not to be there. :)
    No obviously not. But people take things for any aul ****e really, that they don't need. A pressing concern in the health world is resistance to antibiotics and people die/will die simply due to overuse of antibiotics. The more they're used to fight infection, the more resistant the infection becomes. Of course in the right cases they should be used.

I was making a point. I am well aware of over-reliance on medication and antibiotics. However, it was implied that use of any substantial amount of medicine is negative, regardless of circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Zen65 wrote: »
    Let's not be judgmental about matters we are not qualified to comment on. If you're on medication because it has been prescribed by a qualified doctor for your medical condition, it is likely that it could be irresponsible not to take them. Finishing a course of antibiotics is important, even if symptoms have gone. Taking medication for depression is important, I'm sure we all know of consequences for people who stopped taking this medication without medical advice.

OP, if you're taking terbinafine I'm sure your doc advised you to get regular liver function tests? Pay attention to those if he did. If he didn't, then don't take my word for it, check with your doc to see if they're necessary.

I fear this thread might become unhealthy (no pun intended) if people make comments on the meds taken by others.

Be at peace,

Z
    Very true, I don't like when people stop them when they improve, they should limit the damage taken by using the antibiotic and use the full course.

The word needlessly wasn't there so I thought you meant it not to be there. :)

I was making a point. I am well aware of over-reliance on medication and antibiotics. However, it was implied that use of any substantial amount of medicine is negative, regardless of circumstances.

She should say it in every sentence :pac:

Ah you just inferred it differently than --LOS-- intended, s'grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭McConkey

This is true, but is forwarded by the needless amounts taken by people.

Absolutely, but it's worth remembering that bacterial resistance to antibiotics has been around for far longer than humans have known about antibiotics.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

Zen65 wrote: »

Be at peace,

Z

he certainly did, its a very serious concern with terbinafine, i have to get a liver checkup when this lot runs out, and even though my symptoms are almost gone, i'll be on them for another 3 or 4 months, which im glad, because i'll know its gone for proper then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

yes mr pharmacist sir.

I am self-educated and it is certainly the case for anti-biotics, take too many and you will become resistant to them.

I am a microbiologist and i can tell you that YOU will not become resistant to antibiotics. The bugs in your system however, might.

Self-educated, eh? I never would have guessed.:p

Novella wrote: »
    I think it's pretty easy to say, "Oh, medication is so bad" blah blah blah when you don't actually need to take any. This thread isn't an argument about the pros and cons of medication, it was a simple question - "How many types of medication are you on?". If you're on none, wonderful, fair play to you.

Personally, I'm prescribed three different kinds atm, and I do feel better than when I was on none so whether others think it's unnecessary or 'disgusting' isn't exactly a concern of mine.

With all due respect, this thread is open to discussion, just answering yes and no would be pretty pointless.

I'm sure if I went to a doctor and told them some things I would be on plenty of meds by now! However I simply choose to avoid it where at all possible.

Likewise it isn't particularly a concern of mine what medication people take flippantly, that's their own decision, I wouldn't choose the same, that's just my opinion.
    McConkey wrote: »
    I don't think you should judge what anyone else is taking.

Good for you if you don't need to take medications, I am also fortunate in this regard but some people need medicines to enjoy a quality of life similar to yours-would you deny them this?

I think the assumptions have been a little quick here, my views are on taking meds flippantly, a lot of people look to meds as a cure for anything and everything. Young people are requesting the flu vaccine at winter time. It's needless and only does harm in the long run.
    Yet you were willing to use it to try and make you're own point.

Look, you claimed that people become resistant to antibiotics by taking them too often then that simply isn't what happens. People do not become immune/resistant to antibiotic treatment. You were wrong and have just tried to hide it and evade that fact claiming other posters are in the wrong. They're not.

Of course, people should never be on medication they don't need. But are you trained to be judging who here should be on which medications? What makes you so certain that those listing their meds don't need them?

I was being ironic, forgive me for finding it amusing that a pharmacist throws up some wiki links without any explanation to make a point.

Whether it is literally the people or the anti-biotics that become resistant is purely a figure of speech, no need for the grammar nazis just yet.
    The result is the same, the benefits of the anti-biotics are rendered useless which is clearly the main concern.

Yes people shouldn't be on medication they don't need.
    I'm not judging who here needs to be on medication. I remarked how appalling it is how many people here are on so much medication. Granted some people here will need that medication but I don't think it's entirely incorrect of me to assume that there are loads of people who probably don't as is the case in the general population. I don't think you can dispute the fact that too many people take too many meds, needlessly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Colpermin or Buscopan

Other then them the odd neurofen plus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭ORLY?

I remarked how appalling it is how many people here are on so much medication. Granted some people here will need that medication but I don't think it's entirely incorrect of me to assume that there are loads of people who probably don't as is the case in the general population. I don't think you can dispute the fact that too many people take too many meds, needlessly.

I don't have the info or the expertise to judge the med usage of posters or the population in general. Neither do you.

Nobody here, be they a doctor, pharmacist, microbiologist, pharmaceutical researcher etc. can give any sort of well founded opinion on the legitimacy of the drug usage of anyone who has posted their medications here. Only a doctor who had examined the patient and reviewed their medical history could do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

This thread is hurting my brain. I think I need some pain-killers....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

I don't think ive ever taken anything stronger than a cough bottle. No particular reason, just have never had a need to. Never really get sick, havent had the flu or any of that since I was a child.

• Advertisement

I don't have the info or the expertise to judge the med usage of posters or the population in general. Neither do you.

Nobody here, be they a doctor, pharmacist, microbiologist, pharmaceutical researcher etc. can give any sort of well founded opinion on the legitimacy of the drug usage of anyone who has posted their medications here. Only a doctor who had examined the patient and reviewed their medical history could do that.

I don't need any expertise to see with my own eyes people taking pain killers etc for minor things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

This thread is hurting my brain. I think I need some pain-killers....

I think you need a course of medication for al zymers [spelling?] or

or something :D

make an appointment with my practice and we'll get you started on something to help 'prevent' it from getting worse :rolleyes::D

if only it was funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I don't need any expertise to see with my own eyes people taking pain killers etc for minor things.

Who the f**k are you to judge how minor someone else's pain is ?

Where'd I leave that ibuprofen......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

bleg wrote: »
    I'm a pharmacist and no it doesn't.
    I'm a doctor and yes it does.

Me..

Dapsone 100 mg, Clofazimine 50 mg, Rifampicin 600 mg, and Clofazimine 300 mg..

And I'm laughing my head off at you both... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

None thankfully.

Who the f**k are you to judge how minor someone else's pain is ?

Where'd I leave that ibuprofen......

I know plenty of people that do, they have the sniffles, instantly they're running for anti-biotics. We all know people like this.

/passes out the chill pills

• Registered Users Posts: 34,486 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

7mg of warfarin daily. It fluctuates though dependant on my INR.

I haven't been able to drink since last October. I'd like to be able to say you get used to it, but you don't! The sooner I'm off this ****e the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

I think the assumptions have been a little quick here, my views are on taking meds flippantly, a lot of people look to meds as a cure for anything and everything. Young people are requesting the flu vaccine at winter time. It's needless and only does harm in the long run.

Care to back that up with anything?

I was being ironic, forgive me for finding it amusing that a pharmacist throws up some wiki links without any explanation to make a point.

Those articles provide good general information about tolerance and immunity.
    I posted them to show the difference between the two, to show people that they are distinct medical terms.
    Whether it is literally the people or the anti-biotics that become resistant is purely a figure of speech, no need for the grammar nazis just yet.

It's not a figure of speech!!!! You do not become resistant to antibiotics in the same way fungi and plants do not become resistant to them. It's a very very very important distinction and you're misinforming people. Anybody that pulled you up on the point isn't a grammar nazi, most of them have been health professionals or biologists. Just accept that in this instance you were completely wrong, take the information on board. You now know something that you didn't 4 hours ago.
    The result is the same, the benefits of the anti-biotics are rendered useless which is clearly the main concern.

We weren't arguing about the result though were we? We were arguing about the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

whats with all the med names :confused:
    at least say what its for, example

heart issues, anxiety, depression, x disease, Y disease and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

a few valium would go down well here

Advertisement