Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF and FG dissidents planning new party

Options
  • 20-06-2010 9:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭

in paper today
    The failed attempt to remove Enda Kenny as leader of Fine Gael has served to intensify speculation that a move will be made to establish a new political party within months, the Sunday Independent can reveal.

TDs in Fianna Fail and Fine Gael are known to be deeply unhappy with the leadership and direction of their parties and are said by reliable sources in both parties this weekend to be "considering their options".

While we need more political parties, this move could split FG in half handing the election to Labour :eek:

this bit is very interesting
    A consensus seems to be that a "new independent leader" may emerge, somebody from outside of politics, who has achieved success in business, and with a "social motivation".
    Is Ryanair about to lose a boss? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Health warning: link leads to Sunday Indo.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

tenner bets it doesnt happen by the next election?

Anyone?

serriously, we'll change money by paypall

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

A consensus seems to be that a "new independent leader" may emerge, somebody from outside of politics, who has achieved success in business, and with a "social motivation".

Clearly it's Sean Quinn.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

have been reading newspapers ,on current affairs for over 30 years. Of lete I feel there are too many papers and therefore too many scribes, so stories have to be made up or made out of a rumour or speck of truth.

Last sunday I read in the Indo that (I think by Jodi Corcoran), quoting unknown sources, (a FG TD) that EK would be gone within the week. I had imagined writing to Mr Corcoran(perhaps he might read this) to ask him to go back to that source and get some more hot leaks.

In the back of my mind ,I think there may be some ethical thingy to prevent reporters from making up stories and quoting imaginary sources. Perhaps giving the editor the source?

When the practice of quoting unnamed sources exists a reporter can write anything his imagination comes up with.

On this issue, I imagine many voters would vote for a new PDs or some such but there are not two existing TDS willing to start it.

Rugbyman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

tenner bets it doesnt happen by the next election?

Anyone?

serriously, we'll change money by paypall[/QUOTE

I had thanked this post then for a second I thought it might sound like I was taking the bet. you wont lose that.
    Rugbyman

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭bryanw

rugbyman wrote:
    have been reading newspapers ,on current affairs for over 30 years. Of lete I feel there are too many papers and therefore too many scribes, so stories have to be made up or made out of a rumour or speck of truth.

When the practice of quoting unnamed sources exists a reporter can write anything his imagination comes up with.
    On that note, it does just seem to me like sloppy journalism. There was an Indo story during the week about a thread on Politics.ie, so I think they're getting a bit lazy!

While I wouldn't be against a new party... I feel that doing it at this moment in time would be shooting all those in FG, FF and those that would start the new party in the foot. It's a sure way to get Gilmore in as Taoiseach. Maybe they'd putting principles first, but even I would sacrifice my principles in the short term to avoid that outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

A complete non-story.

Another excellent example of how abysmal our media is.

But even the prospect offered by that substanceless drivel doesn't sound appealing. A new party? -yes. A new party (most likely) made up of a shower of FF and FG gombeens? - nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Edited: Health warning BS warning: link leads to Sunday Indo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    in paper today

While we need more political parties, this move could split FG in half handing the election to Labour :eek:

this bit is very interesting

Is Ryanair about to lose a boss? :D
    Declan Ganley returns, anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Declan Ganley returns, anyone?

Oh dear god :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Eamon Dunphy has it on now.

Load of BS IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

An Irish version of the Monster Raving Looney party perhaps.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

George Hook's people party?, stemming on from his little trips round to all the little backwards villages last year on his show.
    :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

galwayrush wrote: »
    Thats already called "Fianna Fail" here ...sadly without the same sense of humour ...or intelligence ...or common decency ...or a clue what they are doing ...one could go on...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

George Hook's people party?, stemming on from his little trips round to all the little backwards villages last year on his show.
    :D

First policy: Sky+ for all! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Not going to happen IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ferball

Ivan Yeats maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

We've just had a confidence vote in Cowen carried in the Dáil, have these FF TDs only become dissatisified with the leadership since then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Short of a genuine prolonged collapse of the two civil war parties it won't happen. Its much easier to fix FF/FG than superceed them with a new party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

rugbyman wrote: »
    There may be fewer 'scribes' than you think. Some write under more than one name & judging by what's written, the culprits have not been exposed to the rigours of journalistic fact-finding & verification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I've been informed by a reliable (as far as I'm concerned and my standards are high) source today that this is a clear example of the Indo just completely making up a story with no actual basis for it, regardless of whether or not the unnamed FG TD making the comment is John Deasy, which it almost certainly is. I suspect that it isn't the first time this week that Mr Deasy has been an unnamed source in a national newspaper.

Take the story seriously at your whim but, erm, it's just made up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Sure this was not what you heard ??
    sceptre wrote: »
    this is a clear just another example of the Indo just completely making up a story with no actual basis for it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Actually, your post change is probably precisely what I heard:) At some point in the future I'll write a long rambling rant on the news/media forum or elsewhere about journalistic standards in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

bmaxi wrote: »
    We've just had a confidence vote in Cowen carried in the Dáil, have these FF TDs only become dissatisified with the leadership since then?

That vote is completely irrelevant to the feelings of dissatisfaction among FF td's. They are not going to vote against Cowen in a dail confidence motion ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

This is complete bulls hit. Dessie tried it before and it didnt work. Secondly, its the Spindo, so I expect nothing less than fiction from them.

Aren't all the hacks at the Sunday Pravdapendent paid to back FF anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

That vote is completely irrelevant to the feelings of dissatisfaction among FF td's. They are not going to vote against Cowen in a dail confidence motion ffs.

Yep, just the sort of guys to restore your confidence in political integrity. I'm definitely going to vote for that party.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

galwayrush wrote: »

The Munster Raving Looney Party - they could also be called the Red Shirts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Actually, your post change is probably precisely what I heard:) At some point in the future I'll write a long rambling rant on the news/media forum or elsewhere about journalistic standards in this country.

I've done it before they are convinced nothing is wrong and they are wonderful and its the people that are wrong for the way they read it :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

So is this non politican leader going to be brendan o'connor sinc that other fine indo scribe harris is already a soprt of politican ?
    I've been informed by a reliable (as far as I'm concerned and my standards are high) source today that this is a clear example of the Indo just completely making up a story with no actual basis for it, regardless of whether or not the unnamed FG TD making the comment is John Deasy, which it almost certainly is. I suspect that it isn't the first time this week that Mr Deasy has been an unnamed source in a national newspaper.

Take the story seriously at your whim but, erm, it's just made up.

You really do have a low opinion of mr deasy :rolleyes:

Maybe he should go under the title "the man with no name" ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Could we start a list of all the Sindo stories that turned out to be false

Offhand I can`only think of two

1. An alleged scandal about Seamus Brennan and cigars and drink at Aer Lingus

2. The lady who was travelling with Liam Lawlor when he was killed in a car crash. I understand she has received damages for being - wrongly - referred to as a prostitute. As far as I recall the SIndo published this from an unreliable source in Moscow without any checking.

They fly a kite nearly every Sunday

The feature writers etc write about each other and their friends as if the whole nation was enthralled with such news. The nation is not.

A comic of a paper.

Advertisement