Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Aural

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

wish theyd have seperate cds for the 3 irish dialects i had fierce trouble with the donegale convo and they prob feel the same for the munster

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Mr Cawley

f0ggy92 wrote: »
    wish theyd have seperate cds for the 3 irish dialects i had fierce trouble with the donegale convo and they prob feel the same for the munster

Found the munster the most difficult! it was the fastest!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 DayTripper

There was an 01 number in a different question.
    I thought it was 086?

Nope, 087-782929?9 or something similar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 student01

There was an 01 number in a different question.
    I thought it was 086?

Oh sorry i thought that was the one you were talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

Love replying to the wrong thread, woopsie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 gleoite

cleirigh06 wrote: »
    Honours.

They should get people that have at least mastered the art of talkng, to be featured in the tape
    Is that too much to f***in ask?

honestly their blas was fine? it was actually nearly natural sounding.. a little forced but comprehendable. Just because you couldnt understand them doesnt make them retarded.. thought that was a little harsh tbh.

Higher

What was the last answer? foinse was in the question

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

The answer was that Foinse can't even pay for itself. Can't remember the exactt question.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

a plane flew over during the last section so i didnt get the middle part, but other then that went ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

I started pretty badly, but I managed to pull it around. Paper 2 should be fun:(.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭aoife365

Ehh i loved honours teip! I thought it was way easier than other years.
    The donegal people took it really easy for once!

Didnt like the first reading comprehension tho! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭annainez

I do honours I thought it was absolutely lovely way better than my mock one anyway and the Ulster Irish was soo slow it was so easy!! So I'm delighted with it!! As for Paper 1, thought the comprehensions were tricky enough but the essay titles were ok if you were prepared... which I wasn't very haha but sure! Be ok!

The answer was that Foinse can't even pay for itself. Can't remember the exactt question.

hope 'iocha' gets me something

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Heaso77

PARARORY wrote: »
    Sorry ro ruin in your day... but Radio na G wasnt an answer??!

Yeah it was :P:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 L.C.Deirdre

Cliodhna. wrote: »
    Not to burst anyones bubble id say you'd have to say oxygen- baile na foinse (or whatever it was :() I thought it was a lot easier than most years??

It was punchestown, written in Irish in a further down question- doubt theyd give marks from writing that down. Prob 'ceolchoirim' was required

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

ok silly question here but what if you spelled oxYgen!?:eek:

Instant fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 L.C.Deirdre

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    Cnoc Bréanainn :D:D:D:D:D:D thank you god for having my granny live right beside that mountain :D:D:D i've heard that name so many times :D:D:D

Damn! That's prob the only mountain in Kerry I know of! I have a friend who guessed that for that very reason!! :)

Damn! That's prob the only mountain in Kerry I know of! I have a friend who guessed that for that very reason!! :)

Didn't hear that either I wrote Cnoc Gradaim or something haha... oh well!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭JamesJB

Couple questions I have:

- Does anyone actually know how the 10 marks for Gaeilge are awarded in this? In my mock I made some slip ups in spellings on the logainmneacha mostly and I was docked the full 10 marks :?

- What was the cause of the famine in I think the second announcement in Cuid A? For some reason known only to Zeuss I totally spaced out and realised I left it blank. I think I guess 'Aeraid na clioma' like a fool...

- The last one in the very first announcement eluded me, as did the 'which relation to whateverhernamewas attended the college in the comhra...anyone recall? I was really hoping to go up from 81/100 (mock) to either an A2 or A1 and I think I've lost like 8-9 marks (inc. blunders or just mistakes I DON'T know about) for the eolas alone...

Hope all exams are going well for everyone anyway.
    -J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

ChiefBrody wrote: »
    Was it just me or did that 087 phone number (asked in OL) have one digit too many..?

Thank God! I got 11 digits and I was like OMG where am I going wrong... yay :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

Couple questions I have:

- Does anyone actually know how the 10 marks for Gaeilge are awarded in this? In my mock I made some slip ups in spellings on the logainmneacha mostly and I was docked the full 10 marks :?

- What was the cause of the famine in I think the second announcement in Cuid A?

About the 10 marks for Irish - That shouldnt have happen in your mocks and most likely wont in this exam! You would only lose the full ten if your irish was absolutely horrific , which I doubt it is since your doing honours!
    From my mock papers I got 8/10 for honours and i made a few little mistakes with seimhus / place names...

Cause of famine was the change on= aeraid na cruinne.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭uncle-mofo

Am I right in presuming that there are only 2 counties in Ulster that sit the leaving cert? Why do all of us have to suffer at the hands of their undecipherable accents?

About the 10 marks for Irish - That shouldnt have happen in your mocks and most likely wont in this exam! You would only lose the full ten if your irish was absolutely horrific , which I doubt it is since your doing honours!
    From my mock papers I got 8/10 for honours and i made a few little mistakes with seimhus / place names...

Thanks for replying!

Are you serious about aeraid na cruinne because I TOTALLY guessed that! Your reply has really brightened things up for me, since I tend to nitpick my performance based on my recollection of it to death. Thanks again :/

uncle-mofo wrote: »
    Am I right in presuming that there are only 2 counties in Ulster that sit the leaving cert? Why do all of us have to suffer at the hands of their undecipherable accents?

Me in January: I agree!

Me now: Having listened to RnaG for most of the year, I can say that it isn't the accent so much as the parts where you can tell they've worked to make it difficult to hear. Like 2 of the questions I wasn't sure of were solely because the words sounded really jumbled.

Also, why do they include obscure logainmneacha that few people will know and even fewer will spell right? (based on my experience)

I learned a huge list of place names and none of them came up, but some fairly obscure ones sure did...

JamesJB wrote: »
    Thanks for replying!

Are you serious about aeraid na cruinne because I TOTALLY guessed that! Your reply has really brightened things up for me, since I tend to nitpick my performance based on my recollection of it to death. Thanks again :/

what is aeraid na c??:confused:

sh1t I had to guess and i was going to write athru san aimsir but I think i said war instead

amadan ceart

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭stevenfinnegan

Well I thought the aural was quite easy.
    Just had a couple of issues though: I only got "Cnoc" and "Chiarraí"
    I wrote 24 down for the award thing.
    And for the oxegen I wrote down.
    "Ceolchoirm Oxegen i mBaile Phoinse".
    I hope everyone noticed that Baile Phoinse was spelt on the last question of that part of the aural.
    So if they had it spelt on the question below I doubt they'll give marks for it. Although I just wrote it down anyway! Just in case. :D

Mr Cawley wrote: »
    what is aeraid na c??:confused:

Climate change, no? Like global warming (that's teamh domhanda specifically).

Like I said, I guessed it and am pretty happy somebody has confirmed it is right!

[QUOTE=I hope everyone noticed that Baile Phoinse was spelt on the last question of that part of the aural. [/QUOTE]

Nope! My mind was elsewhere.... I spelt it 'fuinse'... Should get marks for the eolas but docked in the Gaeilge if there is justice in the stars.

Is that the same as athrú aeráide? Cos I totally guessed!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

Is that the same as athrú aeráide? Cos I totally guessed!!

Yeah im pretty sure you would get full marks - spelling isnt very important or quoting directly from the tape - its about understanding what was heard so your thing is pretty much the same as the answer given! 90 is for facts and 10 for irish!

Advertisement