Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland in 2020 ?

Options
  • 08-06-2010 3:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭

What do you predict Ireland will be like in 2020?

Will this recession finally be over?

Will we be in the middle of another boom?

Will FF still be in power?

Will the half a million jobless be back working?

What industries will be booming/collapsed?

Will we still be in the euro currency, or even still in the EU?

I predict a lot of the big IT/Pharma companies will be relocated to cheaper countries and state finances will have stabilized but economic prosperity will be a distant memory. NAMA will be looked upon as a serious f**k-up. We will have settled back into pre-boom lifestyles, no new cars every year, no 3 holidays every year, no amature property landlords, etc. I believe a lot of foreign nationals will have left the country. I also think we will become friendlier to each other, to our neighbours, etc <-- This is already starting.

It will be interesting to bump this thread in 2020 to see if peoples suggestions have come true.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Demonon wrote: »
    It will be interesting to bump this thread in 2020 to see if peoples suggestions have come true.

I predict that this thread will never be bumped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

Havent you seen the movie 2012 !!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

It will rain prob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Tarzan_man

Yep, I'd say we'll be in the new boom stage! Celtic Tiger 2.0 perhaps?!

Should have read this question before answerin the the first tbh, but yes!

Dear god no, if they are I won't be here. Bunch of gobsheens.

I'd expect a slight increase in the amount of people working, not much, but something substantial enough to be on the 9 o clock news someday. Which isn't mucg tbf

Anything internet, or to do with content creation that'd be sold through the interent. Augmented reality being the main one. I can only hope that that market stays user-created and one company doesn't have a monopoly on such things.

Yep, yep.
    I predict a lot of the big IT/Pharma companies will be relocated to cheaper countries and state finances will have stabilized but economic prosperity will be a distant memory. NAMA will be looked upon as a serious f**k-up. We will have settled back into pre-boom lifestyles, no new cars every year, no 3 holidays every year, no amature property landlords, etc. I believe a lot of foreign nationals will have left the country. I also think we will become friendlier to each other, to our neighbours, etc <-- This is already starting.

I can't comment on the IT/Pharma stuff, apart from I think IT professions will come back strong. I can only hope we become more friendly (well when i say friendly, I mean you'd have an interest in other people and your community, not that ****e fake "OH HOW ARE YOU?! THATS LOVELY!" retarded fake friendliness) Nama is already a **** up, so no change there. Cheaper travel, so I'd say more holidays if anything.

5er on mine to win!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

If there's no flying cars, I'm going postal.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Sisko wrote: »
    An Post will be gone by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I'll be in my mid-thirties going through an early mid-life crisis.
    I think this recession has plenty of legs left in it yet, but I think we should have recovered from it for the most part, with no real boom or anything. Unless of course, another global financial crisis hits again. We will always be sensitive to that with the way our economy is set up.
    Doubt it.
    Quite likely, possibly via losing power and getting back in when the opposition continues their "good work".
    I'd say we'll return to a situation where the unemployed won't like it to be known that they are. At the moment, the out-of-work (for the most part) don't feel it reflects badly on them. It isn't a big deal to admit it. It seems more common for people to ask "Are ye workin'?" than to ask "What are ye workin' at?". I see that reversing again.
    The person that knows that will make a fortune.
    I think it's quite possible the Euro could become the strongest currency in the mid to long-term.
    I predict a lot of the big IT/Pharma companies will be relocated to cheaper countries and state finances will have stabilized but economic prosperity will be a distant memory.
    Agree to a certain extent. We are fast falling behind where we once were one of the leaders. I don't think we'll be seeing any boom, but I'd like to think we'll be ticking along ok. Nothing spectacular.
    NAMA will be looked upon as a serious f**k-up.
    As opposed to what it's seen as now?
    We will have settled back into pre-boom lifestyles, no new cars every year, no 3 holidays every year, no amature property landlords, etc.
    These have gone out of the window for most people now anyway. As for amateur property landlords... I'm not sure what you mean there?
    I believe a lot of foreign nationals will have left the country.
    And quite a lot will stay here as they have settled down and started families.
    I also think we will become friendlier to each other, to our neighbours, etc <-- This is already starting.
    I'd argue the opposite. I just don't see the evidence myself for what you are saying.
    This sort of thread is started all over the internet, but it rarely if ever gets followed up on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

2020 is the year Jesus is coming back. I know this for a fact because he told me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

FearDark wrote: »
    2020 is the year Jesus is coming back. I know this for a fact because he told me.

It's strange how when people talk to a religious deity,
    it's never the lottery numbers they are given, or the true meaning of life.

It's always some nonsense that nobody will believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

There will be Father Ted repeats on RTÉ.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055801006

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

I hope the uk comes out of the eu i hate it!!! But thats only 10 years and they take forever do things in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

CHD wrote: »
    An Post will be gone by then.

Ah Jaysus, don't be saying things like that!!!

But in fairness, that's my job now...

Hopefully by 2020 I'll be a sergeant at least and well on my way to Detective Inspector...:)

by 2020, I reckon the economy will have settled and the country will be back to where she was circa. 1993/4 or so. Doing well, but not as well as the boom years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

It'll be like whatever England was like 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Reeling in the years will still end in 1999 before starting all over again.

If we haven't bankrupted ourselves, we should be fully established members of the axis of evil by 2020

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It's a wild hunch on my behalf, but I think that everything we think, do and say will be in the pills that we take every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Rainy and the catholic church has been replaced by the GAA as the media and police controling secretive organisation

Technically its already over

Mediocre at best

Yes but after an absence of a couple of years

Nope, in an attempt to out do each other all the party's kept raising the dole. It will be at 500 a week so there is no point in working

the catholic church will be gone (fingers crossed)
    The GAA's power will be ailing because despite it being on TV all the time and nobody watching it, they cant force people into grounds.
    Headshops will be thriving
    Publicans will be moaning that they are going out of business
    Taco Bell will be the very prominent
    Boxing will be smalltime because of the rise of MMA
    Taxi drivers will be complaining that there are too many of them

Yes and yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Banned Account

I think that there will be an epidemic of dinosaur related attacks on pensioners. After scientists crack the Jurassic Park idea, we will realise that monsanto will increase the price of the world's food supply (for which it will now hold the patents), the dinosaurs will be the first to feel the effects of this new shortfall in world food supply.

Their anti-nama protests at the Dail will become increasingly violent and they will turn to loitering in large groups in common areas of the ghost estates in Leitrim and Navan. Eventually, they will begin to pick off innocent pensioners on the way back from the butchers and the government will turn a blind eye in order to relieve the strain on the healthcare system.

Joe Duffy will resign as commander in chief of the universe due to mounting speculation that he claimed mileage from Uranus and the Keatings will formally announce that the split is now permanent. There will be no more foxes following the whacking day slaughters sponsored by Sky News and Simon Cowell will be assinated by a 10 year old eunoch.

Oh yeah, and there will still be threads on Israel, Head Shops and dole scroungers - this is after Borads.ie acquires Google and Facebook.
    Probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Ever seen book of eli? That what it would be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    It's strange how when people talk to a religious deity,
    it's never the lottery numbers they are given, or the true meaning of life.

It's always some nonsense that nobody will believe.

its strange how when you talk to god your a holy person

but when god talks back your a nutter :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

1. Will this recession finally be over?

2. Will we be in the middle of another boom?

3. Will FF still be in power?

4. Will the half a million jobless be back working?

5. What industries will be booming/collapsed?

6. Will we still be in the euro currency, or even still in the EU?

7. (a) I predict a lot of the big IT/Pharma companies will be relocated to cheaper countries and state finances will have stabilized but economic prosperity will be a distant memory. (b) NAMA will be looked upon as a serious f**k-up. We will have settled back into pre-boom lifestyles, no new cars every year, no 3 holidays every year, no amature property landlords, etc. (c) I believe a lot of foreign nationals will have left the country. (d) I also think we will become friendlier to each other, to our neighbours, etc <-- This is already starting.

1. Yes.

2. Possibly - but hopefully one better speeding at a pace we are controlling more so. Like Canada did already at the same time as our "Celtic Tiger".

3. Gawd I hope not - not unless there is a complete clean sweep there. The vestiges of the past personnel, methods and the ideology of fellow self-interest back-scratching gone along with too much parochial level thinking too.

4. Hopefully a good deal of them.

5. I.T. will still expand but in the software areas. We cannot (and clearly should not) rely too much on the hardware areas (production lines etc). We should be more so using the goods/resources (natural or not) that we have at home. Be it from higher educated brains just leaving colleges and hands-on training, to natural resources such as our ability to grow more natural foods in a still green country side that is not as constructed over as many of our European neighbours - so what should be booming should also be food production facilities too. We are missing an opportunity here and our food/farm industry should be better supported.

What will collapse? Certainly a number of factories doing manual production line work. While we will always have our fair share of them based here, we all can see the emergence of other states such as China and India, etc taking over in this area and now that states in Africa are catching up too, at cheaper rates of employment there rather than here, reliance on production-line work as a base for continual employment would be a reliance based upon a shaky foundation for the state.

6. Yes, to both for a number of very complicated reasons.

7. A number of issues there so I broke it up.
    (a) A number might go but if we can show the big (and small) players in this business, that we have the educated brains in play here, rather than just the physical work too, with a good combination of the two been seen to be present too at the same time, in the one place, we stand a better opportunity of holding onto employers. Add to this tax incentives (and other ideas) carefully balanced (between interests of the state and interests of the company) and we should be able to still hold our own in the area mentioned by the OP.

(b) If a boom should happen again, I think we should get rid of NAMA as soon as possible. Otherwise, its going to haunt generations to come. Is it going to fail/succeed? Educated brains on both sides of "yes"/"no" say different. Only time will tell...

(c) They are already leaving - big time. They will however return in vast numbers when things start to improve.
    Like it or not this matter has to be discussed (in a thread by itself? Its a big topic.)
    Short version: We should apply tighter control of whom comes across our borders. Allow varying applicable numbers to come in according to corresponding already present higher education skills, need for manual labour requirements and a modicum of refugees to be fair and decent to our fellow man/woman/child.

(d) As the world is growing ever smaller via communication methods and interdependency, we are indeed becoming more open to other relationships with others beyond our very borders.
    Except for rare medical reasons (such as the spread of an illness that might mutate) I see no reason why such friendlier relationships shouldn't continue. It will do us - and them, the world of good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

2020 we will be selling natural energy on a massive scale to the rest of Europe and so making us the new Airabia of Europe. We will be making so much money that we will have little or no tax, all political and religious decisions will be made by the supreme being John Gormley & HRH Eamon Ryan. Northern Ireland will be annexed and the people there reprogrammed. Ryan Turbidy Will be hosting the Euro Vision for the fourth time in a row. A statue to Gerry Ryan will be attracting thousands after a distraute woman saw it moving its hand towards its mouth. Joe Coleman will have sought planning permission for a monster ark. Ronaldo has just won the Champions League Final with Athlone town

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

No & Yes

PIGS will fall, mark my word.

Portugal, Ireland, Greece and Spain will not last with the Euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

It'll be like Mad Max - except raining.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Sisko wrote: »

In 2020, people no longer say, "If there's no flying cars, I'm going Postal".

They will say, "There are still no flying cars, THATS IT !! I'm going Cabbie".

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GarH

But you left out the most important question?

Who will be hosting The Late, Late Show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

we will all have some type of vision

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

if i'm not dead, i'll have enough money for a holiday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

1.Will this recession finally be over?

2.Will we be in the middle of another boom?

3.Will FF still be in power?

4.Will the half a million jobless be back working?

5.What industries will be booming/collapsed?

6.Will we still be in the euro currency, or even still in the EU?

1. Yes

2. I think so and hopefully one that's managed better than the last one and one that's based on sound foundations not a property bubble

3. Hard one to call, they could be but hopefully people have seen they're just not fit to run a country

4. I think so due to this new boom i think we'll be in the middle of.

5. IT will be strong, internet based business, multi-national companies will be big again i think with a strong focus on multi-lingual graduates due to increased globalisation which is why i think there'll be a lot of foreign people working here as we're ****e with languages in this country

i'd say a lot of manufacturing industry will have collapsed due to it being cheaper abroad

6. Yes and yes

and i just realised i won't be living here anymore

Advertisement