Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build up to the 2010 European Championships, Barcelona (Steve Colvert qualifies)

Options
  • 20-05-2010 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭

The Early outdoor season thread had exceeded its time limit, and the Summer track and field season is in full swing, with four of fourteen World Challenge meets (Melbourne, Dakar, Osaka and Daegu) having taken place and the Shanghai Diamond League meet taking place this weekend to add to the Doha Grand Prix earlier this month.

The European Championships take place at the end of July (26th July-1st Aug). This gives more Irish athletes the chance to compete at a major championships than the more stringent World and Olympic championships. In 2006, Ireland took home a silver medal courtesy of Derval O'Rourke; can we improve on that tally?

Who should challenge for a medal? David Gillick's breakthrough season has put him in line to challenge the Borlées, Rooney, Bingham, Dhjone, etc for a medal. Olive Loughnane catapulted herself to rela medal territory after her silver in Berlin last year. She's changed coach, and has yet to finish a race this year, so it remains to be seen if she can repeat that performance. Derval O'Rourke has yet to open her outdoor season, after a promising indoor season which ended in anti-climax. She faces a stiff challenge from returning defending champion Susanna Kallur, Norwegian Christina Vukicevic, Czech Lucie Skrobakova, and the improving Belgians Davin and Berings. Her NR of 12.67 ranks her in top couple of hurdlers, so here's hoping for some sort of an injury free summer.

Joanne Cuddihy is returning to form after a dissapointing number of years, but it will be tough to break the British and Russian attack on the podium. Alistair Cragg is an enigma, has the class to do well, but the competition's tough and it depends on which Alistair Cragg shows up. Fagan, if injury free, should do well over 10,000m, but with the Spaniards and Brits (Thompson, possibly Farah), a medal will be tough. Paul Hession will likely need to lower his NR to come near the medals. A definite finalist, I'd imagine, and a serious medal contender if he's on top form. Hopefully, Chamney and Campbell will push on from their 1.45.x breakthroughs and make the final.
    Eileen O' Keefe has yet to compete I believe this season, so not sure what her story is yet.

This is a real chance for young and upcoming athletes to gain championship experience. Looking forward, as always, to Kelly Proper's exploits in the sand, while Claire Brady will hopefully translate her indoor form into making substantial dents in her 100m PR.

Those are just off the top of my head, who else am I missing?

Timetable

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Rineanna wrote: »
    The Early outdoor season thread had exceeded its time limit, and the Summer track and field season is in full swing, with four of fourteen World Challenge meets (Melbourne, Dakar, Osaka and Daegu) having taken place and the Shanghai Diamond League meet taking place this weekend to add to the Doha Grand Prix earlier this month.

The European Championships take place at the end of July (26th July-1st Aug). This gives more Irish athletes the chance to compete at a major championships than the more stringent World and Olympic championships. In 2006, Ireland took home a silver medal courtesy of Derval O'Rourke; can we improve on that tally?

Who should challenge for a medal? David Gillick's breakthrough season has put him in line to challenge the Borlées, Rooney, Bingham, Dhjone, etc for a medal. Olive Loughnane catapulted herself to rela medal territory after her silver in Berlin last year. She's changed coach, and has yet to finish a race this year, so it remains to be seen if she can repeat that performance. Derval O'Rourke has yet to open her outdoor season, after a promising indoor season which ended in anti-climax. She faces a stiff challenge from returning defending champion Susanna Kallur, Norwegian Christina Vukicevic, Czech Lucie Skrobakova, and the improving Belgians Davin and Berings. Her NR of 12.67 ranks her in top couple of hurdlers, so here's hoping for some sort of an injury free summer.

Joanne Cuddihy is returning to form after a dissapointing number of years, but it will be tough to break the British and Russian attack on the podium. Alistair Cragg is an enigma, has the class to do well, but the competition's tough and it depends on which Alistair Cragg shows up. Fagan, if injury free, should do well over 10,000m, but with the Spaniards and Brits (Thompson, possibly Farah), a medal will be tough. Paul Hession will likely need to lower his NR to come near the medals. A definite finalist, I'd imagine, and a serious medal contender if he's on top form. Hopefully, Chamney and Campbell will push on from their 1.45.x breakthroughs and make the final.
    Eileen O' Keefe has yet to compete I believe this season, so not sure what her story is yet.

This is a real chance for young and upcoming athletes to gain championship experience. Looking forward, as always, to Kelly Proper's exploits in the sand, while Claire Brady will hopefully translate her indoor form into making substantial dents in her 100m PR.

Those are just off the top of my head, who else am I missing?
    Timetable

Only thing is Fagan said he's running the Marathon and not the 10k. Chamney focus is on the 1500m

Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Jam400

John Laffey, potential member of Euro champs 4x4 team opened up his season last night with a solo 49.4 at the dublin graded meet

• Registered Users Posts: 10 bobtisdall

49.4 is only a good time for a woman! Hession will not count with new crop of sprinters coming through in Europe (Lemaitre & Guliyev).

<Snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

bobtisdall wrote: »
    <Snip>

Think this thread should be jsut about running/jumping/walking and field events the political thing has been done to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭TrackFan123

Lemaitre will just be running 100 I guess, he seems to have stopped 200s becuase of an injury problem, so Hession wont have to contend with him, Guliyev will be the big favourite for the 200, as will whoever GB sends.

Should we have a seperate thread for 'Road to Moncton' for the World Juniors? Performance discussion only of course, nothing personal after 'Russelgate'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 thriller

Thomas Chamney could go Top 6 in the 1500m, he should run in the 3.35 range in 2010, certainly he's training blog indicates a good breakthrough this year.
    Remember Liam Reale finished 8th four years ago.
    Dave Campbell is a potential finalist also.
    Rory Chesser could make the 1500 start-line also.

David Gillick should take a medal if he can repeat his 2009 form, Michael Bingham the US based Brit has posted a good time already this year.

Paul Hession - would love to see him get a medal but a Top 6 over 200 would be an achievement. I'd love to see him switch to 400m.

Joanne Cuddihy is running well, if she could equal her performance of 2006 by making the final that would be a great achievement.

Martin Fagan if he can reach the start-line relatively injury free then he could go Top 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Why did Olive change coach? What ever happened to the motto "if it works dont fix it"?

Any news on Mary Cullen? Whats her plans for the summer?

Gillick, Olive and Derval are our best chances of Gold, or of any medal.

Then Hesh, Fagan and Cragg outside bets.

With all the talent we have at the moment I would consider 1 medal a disappointment. 2 medals would be a success and any more than that would be phenominal. Thats the way I'm looking at it anyway.

Have my flights booked, but havent booked my tickets yet. I'm going to 4 of the 6 days, Wed, Thurs, Fri and Sat, so that will cover all of Hesh, Derv, Gillick and Olives races with the exception of Gillicks first round heat.

Who else is going?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 bobtisdall

<mod snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

<mod snip>

quoted above.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭notsofast

Interview with David Gillick here where he's very positive about Barcelona, not so positive about athletics in Ireland !

http://www.european-athletics.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8661&Itemid=2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭runjb

I can't wait for it all to kick off. I have my flights booked but must look into tickets etc now too.

Medal wise, Derval and Gillick are our main hopes! A fully fit Derval will definitly challenge for gold as will Gillick.

Joanne Cuddihy is improving again and if she can break 51 seconds then a place in the final beckons. I think she will be in that shape at least come the end of July having already posted some encouraging times this season.

Mary Cullen is quietly continuing her preparations, she will have some tough Portugese to contend with but a medal in the 5k is within her grasps if she's fully fit.

Alistair Cragg ran an encouraging 10k road race recently so hopefully now he can build from this and challenge for a top place, he has the potential without a doubt.

Eileen O'Keefe's season is unfortunetly over before it has even began. A recurring knee problem has ruled her out of these championships and the season overall. It's disappointing but nevertheless she says the long term goal of 2012 will keep her focused.

I think our relay teams might punch stronger than they have done over the last few years. Our women's 4x100m have strong pedigree and I think should motor well, as do our men's 4x400m.

Rory Chesser has impressed so far with a very good 3k time. Expect him to make the start line in one race, whether it be the 1500m or maybe the steeple.

Our walkers may once again produce the goods, although Europe is very competitive in these events, it might as well be a worlds. Olive and Robert both have potential and maybe this time Robert might get the limelight and sneak a medal.

Hopefully it'll be a good champs for Ireland. We need at least one medal, I'm hoping for 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

runjb wrote: »
    Eileen O'Keefe's season is unfortunetly over before it has even began. A recurring knee problem has ruled her out of these championships and the season overall. It's disappointing but nevertheless she says the long term goal of 2012 will keep her focused.

:( Was looking forward to seeing her back in action this year. Cork City Sports have the hammer as part of their programme this year and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 lacticsmygame

thriller wrote: »
    Paul Hession - would love to see him get a medal but a Top 6 over 200 would be an achievement. I'd love to see him switch to 400m.

He's far too tense of a runner to step up to 4 and post a fast time. Yes, he holds the 300m NR but that last 100m is the worst part of a 400 and he wouldn't be able to hack it with his running style. However, I would also love to see him try it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 lacticsmygame

Jam400 wrote: »
    John Laffey, potential member of Euro champs 4x4 team opened up his season last night with a solo 49.4 at the dublin graded meet

think it was 49.8 which is not a great opener for a man with a PB of high 47. hopefully it will come down...it will have to if he wants to make the Barca 4x4 with the current strength in Irish quarter-miling - a 49.8 ranking about 10th so far with several of Ireland's best 400 athletes still to open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 joggermurphy

Olive changed coach because she wished to keep her reputation totally untarnished. She had worked long and hard to get to the very top. When Fernandez was caught for possession there was a lot of rumour and misinformation. Olive acted decisively and moved on. She had too much to lose. The coach that had assisted Olive in 2009 was subsequently found not to have been involved and had no case to answer. These are the facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Just to be clear, the two posts I snipped did not say anything too much over the mark, at worst a bit of speculation on OL's motives, and nothing too different than what you are saying.

However, someone complained that together the two posts could be misconstrued as "tainted by association", which is why I snipped them- it was early in the morning and I should have waited for Rineanna to make a call, being far more qualified than me. It may well have been a heavy-handed moderation, or a new mod (me) being too eager to shine, but in any case, thats the problem with speculation, (particularly drug speculation), one persons innocent opinion may well have consequences for an athletes reputation, which is why all speculation on drugs, doping, etc, is banned.

Mark English won the EYOF 1000m in 2:24 !!!!

Some results from Loughborough:

Kelly Proper jumped 6.33m.

Brona Furlong ran 59.10 for 400mh, beating Michelle Carey (59.64), with Jessie Barr running 60.44.

Niamh Whelan ran 11.79, with Ailis McSweeney running 11.81. Marian Andrews ran 54.98 for 400m.

Derval O'Rourke ran 23.71 for 200m. Proper ran 23.67.

Sarah Treacy ran 4.26 for 1500m.

Chris Russell 10.70 for 100m, wind aided 21.34 for 200m.

Joe Warne and Mark Patterson ran 1.51.60 and 1.51.63 respectively. Eoin Everard ran 1.51.x aswell.

David Gillick ran a wind aided PB of 21.19 for 200m.

Ian McDonald 14.04 for 110mh (+2.1).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 anotheronebites

results from germany
    1. 146 Adar Jimmy 1987 UGA Uganda 1:46,73 1./II
    2. 136 Kiviva Jackson 1989 Ken Kenia 1:46,83 2./II
    3. 184 Bestgen Christoph 1986 LUX Luxemburg 1:49,66 1./I
    4. 142 Garret Tristan 1988 AUS Australien 1:49,74 3./II
    5. 162 Cirnaru Adrian 1991 ROM Rumänien 1:49,78 2./I
    6. 163 Matthys Thomas 1987 BEL Belgien 1:50,08 3./I
    7. 139 Some Robert 1991 KEN Kenia 1:50,24 4./II
    8. 143 McIlroy Kames 1976 GBR Großbritannien 1:50,27 5./II
    9. 157 Klein Nils 1989 GER LC Rehlingen 1:51,03 4./I
    10. 148 Ostrewski Artur 1988 POL Polen 1:51,27 6./II
    11. 160 Masenamela Jan 1988 RSA Südafrika 1:51,41 5./I
    12. 155 Martick Ronny 1984 GER LAZ Leipzig 1:51,91 6./I
    13. 137 Campbell Dave 1982 IRL Irland 1:52,60 7./II
    14. 158 Koch Thomas 1983 GER LC Rehlingen 1:52,94 7./I
    15. 159 Seewald Mike 1986 GER LC Rehlingen 1:53,17 8./I
    16. 156 Marth Tano 1992 GER LG VfL/SSG Bensheim 1:53,52 9./I
    17. 150 Rotkirch Robert 1984 FIN Finnland 1:54,73 8./II

1. 91 Groevdal Karoline Berkeli 1990 NOR Norwegen 9:48,46 1./I
    2. 61 Dean Hatti 1982 GBR Großbritannien 9:53,32 2./I
    3. 64 Dreier Verena 1985 GER LG Sieg 9:57,67 3./I
    4. 62 Britton Fionnuala 1984 IRL Irland 10:06,53 4./I
    5. 63 Hiller Julia 1987 GER LAC Quelle Fürth 10:16,20 5./I
    6. 68 Meier-Hunger Arlette 1985 SUI LC Regensdorf 10:19,57 6./I
    7. 69 Chepkirui Caroline 1985 Ken Kenia 10:29,72 7./I
    8. 65 Lutz Susi 1987 GER LG Telis Finanz Regensburg 10:39,16 8./I
    9. 67 Deelstra Andrea 1985 NED Niederlande 10:52,33 9./I

comments anyone?

Not a fantastic indicator of Campbell's progress since his encouraging performances in Oz. In fact, it was a great opportunity to bang out a solid 1.46 time with a view to further improving his PB into A standard territory for World Champs next year.

Fionnuala Britton's coach said she might run a couple of 'chases with a view to debuting at 10,000m. this season. She's running another one this weekend in Germany again.

Linda Byrne ran the 10,000m in Ostrava last night, running 35.15.28.

A number of Irish athletes in action this weekend in Palafreugell, including Tom Chamney, Kelly Proper, Claire Brady and four of our 400m runners.
    Startlists: http://esportspalafrugell.com/pme/miting2010/inscrits.pdf

Paul Hession is running in the Hengelo world challenge meet on Sunday.

In Cottbus on Sunday, Derval O'Rourke tackles the flat again (100m), while Kelly McNeice will look to achieve the Euro qualifying standard in the 800m, and Deirdre Ryan the same in the HJ.
    Startlist: http://www.german-meeting.de/teilnehmer.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Brian Gregan also opens his 400m account at the European Champions Club Cup in Berne on Sunday as part of the Clonliffe's mens team.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭notsofast

In Cottbus on Sunday, Derval O'Rourke tackles the flat again (100m),

what's the strategy with running flat races, 200m last week and 100m this week ? I would have thought it would be more benificial to be running hurdle races.

Oooh, looking forward to Gregan's opener!
    notsofast wrote: »
    what's the strategy with running flat races, 200m last week and 100m this week ? I would have thought it would be more benificial to be running hurdle races.

There are others who might be able to provide a more informed answer, but some hurdlers (both short and long) tend to run some flat races early in the season in attempt to drive their times down over the flat. The hope is that this will translate into faster times over the hurdles. That's an extremely superficial and dodgy answer so hopefully someone with coaching experience can supplement it.

Not a fantastic indicator of Campbell's progress since his encouraging performances in Oz. In fact, it was a great opportunity to bang out a solid 1.46 time with a view to further improving his PB into A standard territory for World Champs next year.

Apparently he has a pretty bad back problem at the moment and was testing it out in that race. Might not see too much more from him this summer.

I'm guessing Dervals runnign 200m for speed endurance and 100m to get her legs really turning over fast without any barriers in the way. Then she'll move onto the hurdles soon enough.

Quite a few irish in action at the BMC in Manchester today

I'm guessing Dervals runnign 200m for speed endurance and 100m to get her legs really turning over fast without any barriers in the way. Then she'll move onto the hurdles soon enough.

Quite a few irish in action at the BMC in Manchester today

Yes, will be interesting to see the results later on. Startlists: http://www.britishmilersclub.com/timetables/2010/SCSL.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

chamney 2nd in 3:42 in season opener

Rose-Anne Galligan ran what I think is a huge PB of 2.02.39 to win the 800m at the BMC meet. Great news for her!

Dave McCarthy (U23) ran 3.43.68 for 1500m to pplace 7th, with Christie two places back.

Alan O'Brien won the B race in 3.45 flat.

Results: http://www.britishmilersclub.com/bmcstorydisplay.aspx?storyid=545

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭drrunner

Great run by Galligan - dips her under the Euro standard of 2:02.5 - great to see!

Claire Brady coming close to the 100m standard of 11.50 with her 11.60 from yesterday

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement