Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan is dead - Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

what did 2FM say when he didn't show up for work, when Colm and JimJim done the extra hour..would they have known at the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

R.I.P. Gerry

A huge loss to Irish radio and Ireland generally, whether you liked him or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Elliee

They had a short news at 3.30 on 2fm. Saying Gerry had died.
    Larry Gogan came straight on and said "Sleep well my friend"
    Its been music ever since.

R.I.P Gerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Ryanno

Just like to add to the POSITIVE comments. This is a very sad day for Irish media. He was never afraid to put his point across, or to go against the 'politically correct' viewpoints that most commentators are bound by. I had a lot of respect for the man as a man.

My family and i would like to send our condolences to the family, friends and colleagues of Gerrys. Remember folks, love him or loath him, he was a human being with a 'normal' life behind the scenes of his public personae. Thats what needs to be remembered today!

Thanks Gerry for the past 20+ years!!

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Very sad, whether you liked him or not, he was a massive player in Irish Media and has been for two decades, not an easy feat at all. R.I.P. and my condolences to his family and friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Seachmall wrote: »
    The post I quoted asked how it was known that his diet was a factor in his death, I'm just stating the facts.

And my point is he could have died of a brain haemorragh, so lets just see what killed him before we decide he brought it on himself through his lifestyle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭wesf

just heard this! some people on this and other forums i've seen need to cop on, a man has died. how would they like it if we made jokes about their family if god forbid one died.
    some people should be ashamed of themselves.
    rip gerry

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭NauP

RIP Gerry - Condolences to his family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

RIP Gerry Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭PatsyStone

What sad news. I wasn't a massive fan but when you hear news like this about any person, especially when they are only in their 50s it's sad. The airwaves won't be the same without Mr. G Ryan... RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The first annecdote my girlfriend told me about her past was her appearance with Gerry on the School Around the Corner.

Haven't listened to the guy since I was young enough to still have school holidays but always had a soft spot for him.

The poor kids are having a tough couple of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Was Gerry on the Radio this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

Some very melancholy songs being played on 2FM at the moment with no breaks in between. A nice tribute I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Sulmac wrote: »
    R.I.P. Gerry

A huge loss to Irish radio and Ireland generally, whether you liked him or not.

I think that's going tor far. Obviously I would have sympathy for his family but "A huge loss to Irish radio and Ireland generally"?
    Let's not go and do a Diana.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Srooney03

Fair play to Larry for the right songs he is playing right now

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

RTE have it, must be true then.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Who's gonna take care of his Crayfish 'Norman'??! Man I loved hearing Gerry talk about him and his antics :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭ilovetosing

Gerry was a legend and will be known for many years to come as one of irelands best broadcasters. RIP :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

RIP. My thoughts go out to his family, friends and fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

Some very melancholy songs being played on 2FM at the moment with no breaks in between. A nice tribute I think.

yeh i was thinking the same. Poor Jan O'Connell was close to tears with the breaking news there at 3.30. and Larry too poor guys, shame :(

AntiRip wrote: »
    No
    Breakfast show was on for an extra hour and then Fiona Looney I think.

RIP Gerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Drivetime is starting half an hour early on RTE Radio one, 4PM.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

AntiRip wrote: »
    No and the Irish Times are reporting that's what alerted 2FM bosses when he never showed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

RIP Gerry my mornings won't be the same. Whether I agreed with you or not you always said what you thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Just listening to 2fm now, they're playing all sad songs. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

True, they're (understandably) wheeling out the tear-jerkers. U2 got me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Let's stop talking about the ambulance driver involved and the OP.

Should the HSE or whoever wish to contact Boards.ie as part of an internal investigation, we'll be happy to help them out. For now, lambasting the OP isn't doing anything except derailing this thread.

Again, I ask that people keep all their comments on this thread respectful and civil. It's no secret that he didn't like Boards and we didn't like him, but we are talking about a man who has a family and friends and who touched a lot of people's lives and to pass at such a young age is sad news indeed.

Dav

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Old_-_School

Lots of women in my office crying uncontrollably after hearing the news.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement