Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV's with MPEG4 DTT decoder

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Satdog

medoc wrote: »
    In the local paper today I see a pull out advertisment section for Expert Electrical Tullamore and for the first time it has a paragraph explaining about the change to DTT from the end of 2012. It states that people should look for a tv with an MPEG4 tuner and advises people to buy a tv that will be suitable. They have 8 or 9 Tv's of various sizes and makes listed with a special tricolour logo stating their suitability. This is the first time I have noticed this to such a clear extent and is about time.

Same pullout for Joyce's Expert Electrical in Wexford. According to Expert Electrical website they have 63 strores nationwide. This should bring DTT to a wider audience. @ The Cush, I don't have access to a scanner.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭tlaavtech

Mayo Exile wrote: »
    Sony S5500s are MPEG2 only it seems. See online Sony manual here. Page 34:

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4127735E41.pdf

Have an S5500 in work. It does not have MPEG4 - I was under the impression (not sure from where) that the 5500 was split into the have and have not MPEG4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 jammygit

In the local paper today I see a pull out advertisment section for Expert Electrical Tullamore and for the first time it has a paragraph explaining about the change to DTT from the end of 2012. It states that people should look for a tv with an MPEG4 tuner and advises people to buy a tv that will be suitable. They have 8 or 9 Tv's of various sizes and makes listed with a special tricolour logo stating their suitability. This is the first time I have noticed this to such a clear extent and is about time.

Hi Medoc, this is interesting. Can you say which newspaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭medoc

Below are two scans of the advert which came with yesterdays Tullamore Tribune. I cropped it so as not to show any of the products in it (incase it is against the rules here). The paragraph explaining the change to DTT and the "Irish Digital TV Ready" logo are shown.

Expert2.jpg

Expert3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Below are two scans of the advert which came with yesterdays Tullamore Tribune. I cropped it so as not to show any of the products in it (incase it is against the rules here). The paragraph explaining the change to DTT and the "Irish Digital TV Ready" logo are shown.

Thanks for the scans. Well done to Expert Electrical for getting the information out there.

What TV models are they advertising? Any freesat TVs in there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

I'm after the same thing. TV to have Freesat + MPEG4 for Irish DTT + (Ideally) MHEG5 Text. I believe the LG LF7700 has all of the above but, alas, is only 50Hz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

peking97 wrote: »
    I'm after the same thing. TV to have Freesat + MPEG4 for Irish DTT + (Ideally) MHEG5 Text. I believe the LG LF7700 has all of the above but, alas, is only 50Hz.

I think the 42in and above are 100Hz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭kindalen

will these tv's end up being sold cheap as they only have sd, or do any have hd?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭micratoyota

kindalen wrote: »
    will these tv's end up being sold cheap as they only have sd, or do any have hd?
    most sets over the last number of years are HD (ready)) so if these tv's are not MPEG4 a set top box will be available to pick up the new channels i think, This will mean another box to find room for,..I don't think there are any tv's out there that are not now HD ready

Satdog wrote: »
    Same pullout for Joyce's Expert Electrical in Wexford. According to Expert Electrical website they have 63 strores nationwide.

Same advertising insert in one of todays' Sunday newspapers. TV model numbers are not included.

• Advertisement

Was doing a bit of window shopping today in Limerick and came across some items of interest.

First off, in Maplins they have a Humax HD-FOX T2 on working display for a ridiculous €297 (£268) - internet price range £149 - £160. The receiver was setup with the UK setting - all channels in the 800's. The É in RTÉ did not display correctly in the channel name. Could not check the text - no R/C available.

In Currys, was checking a Samsung TV with R/C. On RTÉ 1/2 it displayed standard teletext but on RTÉ News Now it displayed digital text - has anyone else noticed this? It appears that if standard teletext is not present on a particular channel digital text is displayed on the Samsung, it doesn't work like this on my Sony. The requirement in the minimum receiver specification is that if MHEG-5 digital text is available it takes priority over standard teletext.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d8player

I have just bought a Panasonic TX-P42G20 and was able to pick up the Irish DTT perfectly using a rabbit ears aerial attached to the TV downstairs in my house. The picture quality was excellent. Only tried it for a few minutes as I have UPC Digital anyway but at least I know the box can accept the Irish signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

what is the best led lcd tv to buy samsung or sharp. getting ready for rte dtt and thought it would be better to get an led screen are they much better than standard lcd.

d8player wrote: »
    I have just bought a Panasonic TX-P42G20 and was able to pick up the Irish DTT perfectly ....
    Is it the 42G20L or G20B?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I have been told that Toshiba are to do a push with their 37 inch and bigger models and that a LOT of these are heading down channel to Europe.

Has anyone tested any of the larger Regzas recently ?? The WL and SL and RV models in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

vince wrote: »
    what is the best led lcd tv to buy samsung or sharp. getting ready for rte dtt and thought it would be better to get an led screen are they much better than standard lcd.

A matter of opinion in my book as it is too early to say LED is better.

LCD has been proven to be reliable and top quality provided you buy the correct set (not the cheapest) it is even better than plasma which was supposed to be the dogs bo***cks!!:D

John Dough wrote: »
    A matter of opinion in my book as it is too early to say LED is better.

LCD has been proven to be reliable and top quality provided you buy the correct set (not the cheapest) it is even better than plasma which was supposed to be the dogs bo***cks!!:D

The jury is out on LEDs just now. They give amazing colours but you're paying quite a premium over an equivalent Plasma. I found them too expensive for what you get and a lot of this is to do with the hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

There is no G20L, only the G20B(UK Version) and G20E(European Version). Its odd alright but Panasonic wont be offering the G20 here.

I assume you have a G20B(?), and given its integrated DVB-T2 tuner, i'd be very surprised if there are any issues with it picking up our DTT this time round(Unlike the G10B), which is great news

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ireland dennis

hi there people, this topic has the only good info i have found on dtt and mpeg4, great work from you all.

getting ready to retire a 25 year old pre widescreen sony tv (finally thought it might be useful to see what people are pointing at in them couple of inches either side of the screen that i haven't got)

so of course i am going for sony again, never had anything sony break. as you have all commented sony's uk and irish sites are as useful as well, my 25 year old pre widescreen sony tv

going to buy off Amazon probably (that free 3 year guarantee between the 13th and 20th sounds good) so

firstly do all of the follwing ones have mpeg 4 and the text capability whose nomenclature has just escaped me but perhaps starts with m and ends in 5?

Sony kdl-40w5810uhttp://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-KDL40W5810U-Widescreen-Installation-Recommend/dp/B002Q4UFBC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1271285031&sr=1-5
    sony kdl-40ex403u
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-KDL40EX403U-40-inch-Widescreen-Freeview/dp/B003BVI4C6/ref=sr_1_52?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1271285171&sr=1-52

sony kdl-40w5500u
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-KDL40W5500U-Widescreen-Freeview-Motionflow/dp/B001RCU7GM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1271285207&sr=1-1

secondly which should i go for?

fairly confident from reading this entire topic that the kdl-40ex403u and the kdl-40w5500u are mpeg 4 compatiable but my brother in law in london just bought a kdl-40w5810u which he is very happy with but can't even after reading manual on sony europe website confirm it is mpeg4?

???

As far as I know you would need to choose one that receives Freeview HD in order to have it decode Irish DTT. (Not sure about the MHEG-5 text aspect).
    HTH

• Advertisement

firstly do all of the follwing ones have mpeg 4 and the text capability whose nomenclature has just escaped me but perhaps starts with m and ends in 5?

Sony kdl-40w5810uhttp://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-KDL40W5810U-Widescreen-Installation-Recommend/dp/B002Q4UFBC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1271285031&sr=1-5
    sony kdl-40ex403u
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-KDL40EX403U-40-inch-Widescreen-Freeview/dp/B003BVI4C6/ref=sr_1_52?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1271285171&sr=1-52

sony kdl-40w5500u
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-KDL40W5500U-Widescreen-Freeview-Motionflow/dp/B001RCU7GM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1271285207&sr=1-1

secondly which should i go for?

fairly confident from reading this entire topic that the kdl-40ex403u and the kdl-40w5500u are mpeg 4 compatiable but my brother in law in london just bought a kdl-40w5810u which he is very happy with but can't even after reading manual on sony europe website confirm it is mpeg4?

???

They are all MPEG-4 compliant, look out for "Digital: MPEG-2 MP@ML/HL, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC MP/HP@L4" in the specification.

With Sony TVs MHEG-5 digital text is available in the UK setting, standard teletext when you setup in the Ireland setting. If you setup with the UK setting the Irish DTT channels are placed in the 800's.

The KDL-40W5810 has the added extra of a HD satellite receiver built in. In the UK setting it's a Freesat receiver, in the Ireland setting it's a FTA satellite receiver with DiSeqC 1.0 switching. (see two of my previous previous posts here & here)

Which one you go for is your choice.
    As far as I know you would need to choose one that receives Freeview HD in order to have it decode Irish DTT. (Not sure about the MHEG-5 text aspect).
    HTH

No you don't.

HTH

As you are in the U.K. I would not buy now as the new HD DVB-T2 tuners are not fitted to the latest sets yet and you would have to buy another box if you want Freeview HD there.Hold off for a few months as Sony hope to release one by the years end.;)

As regards Irish DTT HD it is years off as they can not even get the std DTT service up and running on a platform as yet only trials ATM.

No I'm not in the UK, I'm in Co. Clare and what I want is a Plasma TV (Sony ruled out as no plasmas) that receives Freesat HD, Irish DTT and ideally, but not a show-stopper, MHEG-5 text. I was on the verge of buying the Panasonic TX-P42G20B based on the fact that, in addition to Freesat, it receives Freeview HD as I thought that would give me the Irish DTT capability. Now I'm not so sure!:confused:
    Does anyone here know of a plasma that fits the bill?
    TIA

No I'm not in the UK, I'm in Co. Clare and what I want is a Plasma TV (Sony ruled out as no plasmas) that receives Freesat HD, Irish DTT and ideally, but not a show-stopper, MHEG-5 text. I was on the verge of buying the Panasonic TX-P42G20B based on the fact that, in addition to Freesat, it receives Freeview HD as I thought that would give me the Irish DTT capability. Now I'm not so sure!:confused:
    Does anyone here know of a plasma that fits the bill?
    TIA

I have the Panasonic TX-P42G20B and have been able to pick up the Irish DTT signal successfully including text and program guide. The signal was excellent.

d8player wrote: »
    I have the Panasonic TX-P42G20B and have been able to pick up the Irish DTT signal successfully including text and program guide. The signal was excellent.

That may do but does it have a VHF tuner?? as most pannys don't.

It won't have a VHF tuner but that doesn't matter to me as its the Irish DTT on UHF I'm concerned about.

D8player: Is it MHEG-5 digital interactive text you are receiving or just the old plain analogue teletext?

cheers cush for your reply, twas just about to select a sony when they actually reply to the email i sent to the uk website

i sent them this

"i live in the border area of northern ireland and am looking to replace my sony tv which has given 25 years of great service.
    of course i am only going to buy sony, but i need a tv that has mpeg 4 compatability/tuner as this the dtt standard chosen for the republic of ireland
    http://www.digitaltelevision.ie/National+DTT/Useful+Information.htm

as shown by this link.
    what 40 inch tvs by sony have this?"

i get this reply

"Thank you for your recent e-mail received on 12/04/2010 10.15 PM.

I am pleased to read that you are the owner of a Sony television, and interested in purchasing another.

Having investigated your enquiry, I can confirm that Sony's current range of BRAVIA televisions do not support an MPEG 4 digital broadcast for use with the upcoming signal in the Republic of Ireland. However, we currently have a range of televisions that support the Freeview HD service, which will be available in Northern Ireland from 2012. For more information on the UK Digital signal, such as to check your reception, please visit the website below:

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/

For a list of our current televisions that support Freeview HD. Please visit the website below:

http://www.sony.co.uk/compare/tv-projector/

Please tick the boxes on the left hand side titled "Freeview HD", and 40" in order to view our 40" Freeview HD range. All other televisions will receive analogue and standard definition Freeview.

Alternatively, you may be interested in purchasing a Freesat television. This will enable you to receive standard definition and high definition channels, which will vary depending on your area. I would recommend that you contact Freesat for more information regarding availability in your area. Please see the link below for contact information:

http://www.freesat.co.uk/index.php?page=about.About&PHPSESSID=djm4r122mavchcgd4719d3ri40

Please find links to our current range of 40" Freesat televisions below:

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/t32-w-series/kdl-40w5810

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/t32-v-series/kdl-40v5810

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/t32-z-series/kdl-40z5800

I hope this information is of some assistance. Thank you for your enquiry.

Yours sincerely

Elizabeth Woolard
    Customer Information Centre
    SONY UNITED KINGDOM LTD

Sony United Kingdom Limited, a company registered in England and Wales.
    Registered office: The Heights, Brooklands, Weybridge, Surrey, KT13 0XW
    Registered company number: 2422874"

confused??

confused??

Sony's reply doesn't surprise me.

I own a Sony Bravia V4500 (since May 2008) and can confirm it is MPEG-4. If you read the specs in the various manuals MPEG-4 is there.

ROI DTT is DVB-T/MPEG-4, UK DTT is DVB-T/MPEG-2 and DVB-T2/MPEG-4 for freeview HD.

For Sony UK (and Sony Ireland for that matter until they launch Irish DTT certified products), do not acknowledge the existence of the DVB-T/MPEG-4 standard so they will not give you any information or supply any info on their websites even though its in the relevent manuals.

They answer your question indirectly by telling you about their freeview HD TVs (DVB-T2/MPEG-4 standard) which should be backwards compatible with the Irish standard DVB-T/MPEG-4.

cheers cush again.

i emailed sony uk about this basically saying do you know what is in your tvs or are the manuals wrong?
    this was the reply

"Thank you for your reply.

Certain televisions do have an MPEG 4 tuner, however this is because they are released throughout Europe in countries that have an MPEG 4 broadcast. As the tuner has not been specifically designed or tested for the new signal in the Republic of Ireland we cannot say that it is compatible.

At this present time, the DTT signal is in beta testing and being broadcast as free to air. A television with an MPEG 4 tuner such as the KDL-EX403 may be able to pick up the signal (although this cannot be guaranteed as it has not been tested), however this would be subject to change as the signal changes throughout its development. The majority of television services in the Republic of Ireland use an encrypted signal with a set top box and subscription service to pick up the channels, and our current range of BRAVIA televisions definitely do not support this encryption. It would not be possible to say whether the DTT signal will eventually convert to this system. Therefore, to avoid disappointment we would not recommend that you purchase a television with the expectation of using it with the DTT signal. As our range of BRAVIAs have SCART and HDMI sockets, which are used for the majority of external devices, you could easily connect a set top box verified as compatible with DTT to a BRAVIA television in order to watch the channels.

I hope that this e-mail is of assistance, and has clarified the matter."

i think this is a cover your ass e-mail, yes it has mpeg4 but it might not work with ROI DTT.

i was already to plump for the KDL-40W5810, went to my local currys today, (at least they had heard of mpeg4) mainly just to see what size the bases generally are and will they fit on my existing stand, they showed me lots of LGs that they say are a ok and he then said that no sony at the minute will work with mpeg 4 and if i want a sony i should wait for the new models later in the year.

ah price of kdl-40w5810 dropped another £15 on amazon decision time looms.

its the inconsistency of advice that infuriates me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Well, the 40W5810 would pick up the Saorview alright, as does the lower 40V5810.

All new Sony models EX/NX/BX, etc will have MPEG4 DTT tuner.

Having being at a recent Sony trade event, they said all models will be compatible with Saorview (horrid logo btw), while any model ending in 3 (eg. EX503) has Freeview HD (MPEG4 DVB-T2).

Advertisement